Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (CA) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's airing in Canada right now so I think it airs quite a while later in the US, like closer to the end of the year. Maybe you could find the episodes online if the anticipation is getting to you :)

I'm generally liking all the contestants this season, except for Nadia.  I just find her so unpleasant and I imagine that she's really not fun to be around.  I'm surprised anyone would want her in their group in a team challenge.

Really? I can't stand most of them. Or maybe it's the show that I'm just so tired of, with the phony drama of choosing teams but they're handed aprons with their names already on them, or guaranteed one of the 'customers' is going to complain about their food not being cooked properly and one of the judges gets to yell and scream. It's all just the same shit, different day, and for me anyway, the show is old and trite and completely worn out.

• Love 2

I think I'm feeling less bitter because I skipped last season, just for those reasons.  I still find the someone-complains-about-raw-food thing being annoying, though.  It really does happen in every team challenge, it seems.

"Congratulations! You have cooked our favorite meal. As punishment for your accomplishment, you will be team leader next time!"

Bah. I've grown a bit bored with the show but don't hate anyone enough to bail on it like I did last year and almost every MC:US, so maybe the drama of the team challenge will add some spice. It never has before since the drama is always stupid and predictable, but I do want to see who returns from that webisode series.

• Love 1
On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎16 at 4:46 PM, Such A Flirt said:

Very sad to see Jen go; she rocked so much. And not too thrilled about Kaegan being back.

Jen was awesome.  I hope she gets to go to cooking school, like she wanted to.

Can't stand Kaegan.  Didn't like him before he left and didn't want him to come back.

• Love 1

No way in hell did Beccy deserve to make it to the final 3.  Her dish tasted awful.  But sending her home wouldn't fit the narrative the show has obviously had from the start that young Beccy would make it to the finale and probably win.  And did she really announce that she was the first person in her family to graduate from high school????  Really?  In this day and age, that's just sad.

I'm firmly on team NotBeccy.

• Love 1

I like Beccy. She's so refreshingly a teenager, with her zero politicking skills. I think one of the dudes takes the trophy though. The judges seemed to be giving Beccy points for at least having a solid, high-end concept. If Eugene had gone forward on spaghetti and weird meatballs we'd be complaining about that, though it was odd that he was so stumped by a basket full of meat. Usually that's all the chefs want to cook. I have zero idea what Nadia thought she was doing. 

• Love 2

There was no doubt in my mind Beccy was making the finale. I was kind of hoping they would let all three of them go just to make it more fair. Beccy is so unflappable and unemotive that I was thinking she might be a touch on the Asperger spectrum. Howevere, I am enjoying the relative lack of drama compared to MC: US which is pretty much unwatchable for me at this point. 

Not unexpected, but still disappointed that Andy didn't win. ?  And I don't even dislike Beccy.  I just think Andy could have used the money to invest in his restaurant.  Beccy, hopefully, will use the $100,000 to go to culinary school.

• Love 2

Um, er, uh. Okay, neither of them blew me away, but Beccy winning was some serious bullshit.  One chef "showed more innovation and craftsmanship." Really? Her dessert looked NOTHING like an apple. And even if it had, that has been done a million times before. And they just totally gave her a pass for leaving off the glaze element. And her birdsnest starter was burnt and way too big. Andy never stood a chance, but we already knew that.   

• Love 2

Well, I'm glad I didn't watch this mess.  I knew from the start that Beccy was destined to win.  Annoying, since she was not the best there.  I hate it when these shows just play to their narrative.  I've deleted it from my PVR now.

• Love 3
On 6/28/2018 at 9:20 PM, Bunnyette said:

Looks like she isn’t going to culinary school...the whole family has moved to British Columbia to,start a new business

Bec Catering

I really did like how unflappable Beccy was on the show. The catering business website though...it's a really hard read. I'm no grammar or spelling expert by any means, but yikes. One of the sample menu items is "Salmon tar tar in a creamy dressing". 

• Love 2

I wish Beccy and her family well, but I hope they didn't invest the entire $100,000 in this family endeavour.  New businesses, especially food industry ones, are prone to failure, and I would hate for all her to lose all the money.   I still think she should have gone to culinary school, before starting up her own business.   Or at least worked for a restaurant or someone else's catering business first.

13 hours ago, Evenshorter said:

I'm no grammar or spelling expert by any means, but yikes. One of the sample menu items is "Salmon tar tar in a creamy dressing". 

I'm not perfect, but I am super picky about spelling and punctuation, and there's a space between the word "journey" and the "." in a sentence on the HOME page. 

"At nineteen years old Beccy Stables from Sherwood Park, AB took on an unbelievable journey ."

• Love 3
2 hours ago, buffynut said:

I wish Beccy and her family well, but I hope they didn't invest the entire $100,000 in this family endeavour.  New businesses, especially food industry ones, are prone to failure, and I would hate for all her to lose all the money.   I still think she should have gone to culinary school, before starting up her own business.   Or at least worked for a restaurant or someone else's catering business first.

I'm not perfect, but I am super picky about spelling and punctuation, and there's a space between the word "journey" and the "." in a sentence on the HOME page. 

"At nineteen years old Beccy Stables from Sherwood Park, AB took on an unbelievable journey ."

I know, it's really bad.  I don't think they needed to pay someone oodles of her money to make a fancy website, but it's like no-one even proofread it .  I do wish them all the best, they seemed like a very nice and close-knit family.

• Love 3
(edited)

Yikes, that website is pretty bad. A small investment to improve it would probably go a long way.

Are they not allowed to mention MasterChef because of copyright or something? They say Beccy "took on an incredible journey" and "after weeks of team challenges, pressure tests, and eliminations... brought her home with the title" but the website doesn't actually refer to MasterChef at all.

Edited by h8omb
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

Are they trying to do the "mentor" thing like on the US show? Some version of it, anyway.

I didn't watch, so I don't know.  Will try to watch online before the next episode.  Or at least watch the next episode.  How many people are left now?

I really liked the judges jumping in to help and not being complete a-holes like Gordon and the other judges would have been on the US version. 

I have to admit I judged Chanelle unfairly. Perfect make-up, perfect hair, her name is Chanelle... It all just gave me a stereotypical popular mean girl vibe. But she seems like a really nice person, she was a great team leader and she does not shy away from taking risks. So I like her!

Tony went a step down in my books this episode. I don't care how stressed you are, you don't tell people to shut the hell up and whatever else he was saying. He's lucky he had that one guy on his team (Andre???).

• Love 1

Every season I start watching and bail for both the Canada and US versions. I'm easily irritated by these shows for some reason, and I think it can be summed up by the editing. It was clear as day who the winner was last season, and I really wasn't impressed with Becci(?); she was just young. This season I hadn't made it through an episode until the last one and that's because I was spoiled on Rozin leaving. 

Elimination challenge: Here's a dish you have never seen nor heard of and you must recreate it. In 20 minutes. 

Ugg. Plus, once again there were cooks who never cooked some or any seafood before arriving. Double ugg.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2019 at 2:29 PM, Such A Flirt said:

The last episode felt like it was just a way to bring Rozin back. I don't think he did all that well in the challenges. 

Agree!  Tony could have cooked a perfect dish but they would have chosen Rozin...no old people (over 40) shall win MC CA or MC AU

I call BS on Cryssi getting eliminated. The judges didn't even say WHY they picked Josh over her! Just because he nailed the sphere? They said everything else was perfect in her case, while they said negative things about Josh's cake.

• Love 2

I don't understand how half a chicken breast that was overcooked with some sauce on the side managed to get a pass from being in the bottom three, but Dora gets the boot just because she didn't make bread? 

I suddenly remember why Masterchef Canada/US is one of my least fav cooking shows (Masterchef Australia however rules) 

• Love 2

What did Thea do to herself.   Between the eyebrows and lips....     

Sad that it was all women on the bottom... not sure why they picked Dora over April Lee to go home.  Neither got good critiques.  

• Love 3
On 2/22/2021 at 4:58 AM, Such A Flirt said:

Wow, Thea does look scary now! What the heck?

Jen also had a makeover, but she's lovely and not Joker-like!

Seems like they're getting rid of the older contestants first. Not sure that's a coincidence.

I don’t think so either.  April-Lee keeps getting a pass...hmmm

Thea's going to be the winner. Count on it. (Ugh) You can tell by how many face shots and talking heads each of the contestants get from the beginning of the show and she has had double as many as anybody else. Might be Andre. He got a lot in the first show but didn't do any cooking in the second episode so was pretty much ignored.

• Love 1