Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (CA) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wow.  Dick move of Josh to take the credit for Kaila's team-saving idea with the potato chips.  After he did that, I was more than pleased to see him hit the bricks.  He was good, but wouldn't shut up about how good he was.  He needed to take hints from many of the women (most notably, Dora, Danielle, Marida, and even Kaila) of how to be good, but also be humble about it.

Dale . . . just shut up, in general.  You're very clearly the villain of the season, and not a very pleasant-to-watch one, either.  Just plain annoying.

I definitely like this version more than the U.S. version.  For one thing, the contestants are actually civil and polite to one another.  There seems to be no major back-biting or trash talk like there is in the American version.  And the judges are nicer (save for Alvin, though even he has his nice moments and actually smiles more than Joe does).  And I can name several chefs I'd be happy to see win, a stark contrast to the American version, on which everyone for whom I rooted got cut in short order around the middle of the game (Christine, Victoria, Ahran, Willie, Jaimee, and Christian), leaving two dregs in the F4 with the two contenders who obviously outclassed them (and whom I also liked, but still . . . not as much as the others).

Right now, I'm for all of the women (Dora, Marida, Kaila, Julie, Danielle, Tammara, and Carly).  Mike's too much of a cipher for me, in spite of his appearance in the top four in the burger Mystery Box Challenge.  Eric and Pino are okay, but they're not gonna last for much longer, I don't think, unless they can pick it up.  And enough said about Dale.

After a few weeks I think I've decided that I like the contestants better on the Canadian version but not the judges.  There's just no substitute for that certain Gordon Ramsay "panache".  And that Asian guy is beyond stupid already.  I have a new appreciation for Joe Bastard-bitch after seeing him.  Plus Graham is far more lovable than either of the other two.  Suave judge is actually my favorite of the Canadian team.  I can't remember their names.  Before this show I did not know them at all. 

I am sure that Gordon Ramsay heightens the drama of the US version because his signature shenanigans are absent in the Canadian version.  In some ways that's a good thing.  I'm feeling half and half about this.  If Gordon could tone it down a bit I think I'd like that much better.

I did like it that the winning team got to pick who didn't have to do the pressure test.  I am sure that Gordon heightens the drama in the US version by making the team captain choose.  The Canadian way just seems more civilized.  I think Gordon is responsible for cheapening the US version.  My theory is that he secretly hates Americans and so gives us what he thinks is on our level.  Most Americans I know who watch this show would rather it be more civilized, though.

Once again I call BS on cheesecake baking on these shows.  You CANNOT make a cheesecake in 90 minutes.  It must bake for at least an hour, then chill for at least another hour, then rest.  I did not see them using a blast chiller, so total BS.

Oh, and in addition, the crust must pre=bake for about 40 minutes.

Edited by susannot

I wish Dale would have gone home instead of Dora, but her beef cheek stew looked like a hot mess.  It did look like barf when you saw the aerial shot.  Good for Kaila on nailing on the brains!  I wouldn't have known what to do except be grossed out.  The liver looked nasty, like it had set in the freezer unwrapped or something.  I guess he overcooked a good part of it.  I'm trying to figure out if this is going to be a clone of the US version.  Next week: let's cook for our military heros.

I think the tomahawk cut of steak is harder to cook than it looks. I remember the contestants in Top Chef Season 6 (Stephanie's season) cooking tomahawk cuts.They cooked them in large cast iron pans,continually spooning sizzling hot butter over them until they developed a beautiful crust.  Dale's just sat there in the pan, never moving.

I think Kaila vs. Eric will be the final.  I don't think Eric is necessarily the best chef--yet--but Alvin clearly likes him.

Kaila's eyes remind me of the woman in the Abilify commercial.  She certainly dodged a bullet last night.  She should have had more potatos and brussel sprouts prepped; their team might have won.  I don't like sourpuss face dark-haired girl that was on the blue team.

Salmon Wellington sounds good and the ones that were done well looked good to eat. 

Does anyone know what's really up with Kaila's eyes?  Did she have an eyelid lift right before the show?  Bright lights bother her? I don't care what contestants look like but her face is just completely distracting. 

BTW, that salmon dish is really called Salmon Coulibiac in my book, not Wellington:  Wellington is beef, mushrooms duxelle and/or pate.

• Love 2

I wish Julie had been eliminated.  She has such a sour expression on her face most of the time, plus she had raw flour in her cake! She didn't even mix her dry ingredients all the way into the batter.  How could that cake be any good? I guess I'm cheering for Kaila.  She's kind of a hybrid Courtney and Leslie.  Courtney for the sex appeal (sort of) and Leslie for being disliked and going through a multitude of pressure tests.  It's too bad red team lost - they really were doing well and working well together. Losing because of a raw meatbal...  "On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese, I lost my poor meatball when somebody sneezed."

Does anyone know what's really up with Kaila's eyes?  Did she have an eyelid lift right before the show?  Bright lights bother her? I don't care what contestants look like but her face is just completely distracting. 

BTW, that salmon dish is really called Salmon Coulibiac in my book, not Wellington:  Wellington is beef, mushrooms duxelle and/or pate.

She is too young to have had eyelid surgery for aging.  She may have had the Rene Zellweger type of puffy lids corrected.  Clearly they removed too much skin.  Or could be a thyroid condition.  

I was surprised to hear the older white judge refer to a breaded veal cutlet as scallopini.  That is just wrong!  He also gives the cooks a lot of help when they are cooking, something that doesn't happen on the American version.  Some of these chefs are not experienced enough to handle this show.  

Edited by wings707

We know they take classes when not taping.  Sponge cake is very easy to make. I think the recipe they got was flawed. And there was no need to make an entire sheet pan for one plate of Baked Alaska.  It is a very easy dessert to make, you just have to have a freezer that can freeze the ice cream very hard.  No home freezer can do that.  I was sorry to see Danielle go instead of Kaila. 

I noticed that when Kaila did the cry face thinking the worst, her face did not move much.  Botox for sure but she has some face fillers, too. She also wears that most unattractive wig.  I wonder if she was in an accident and needed some reconstruction done and has to wear a wig.  If you want longer hair, extensions are the easiest route as far as natural looking hair.  Something is up with her appearance.   

• Love 1

Good episode.  I think Mike is just a little bit behind the other 4 chefs and Eric will go to the Final 4 with the 3 remaining women.  Merida did very well in the dim sum and restaurant challenge and she is the donut Queen!  God, I wanted to lunge through the TV and eat her perfect donuts.  Tammara also did very well in the dim sum and restaurant challenges.  I thought Kaila showed that she could not cook fish and could not follow directions in the restaurant challenge.

Alternatively I could be totally wrong and they will go with a Final 4 of 2 men, 2 women.  In which case either Merida or Tammara will go home, IMO.  They want to keep Kaila for drama vs. Eric in the final, which is still my prediction.

I knew Eric wasn't going home when they chose not to eat any of his (supposedly) bad donuts - yeah, they didn't look great but neither did Pino's and they didn't compliment Pino's donuts.  If they wanted to send Eric home they would have had one of his bad donuts and critiqued him for that, not on his choice to make 47 varieties of donuts.

Same thing with the restaurant challenge - yeah, red team had a table walk out (undoubtedly with some producer prodding) but blue team needed Claudio to jump in and keep their service from completely crashing.  Obviously the team that couldn't accomplish the task on their own was losing.

The pace of this version is slowing for me. I liked it more in the beginning, before Alvin took his happy pills and started complimenting people.  I'll hang on until the end but the food and situations don't seem compelling and I'm waiting for it to be over.

i don't know why I've kind of lost interest in this- it's not that any of my favorites have gone home.  I guess I just don't care about any of the contestants or their challenges.  Maybe the show needs a better villain.

i don't know why I've kind of lost interest in this- it's not that any of my favorites have gone home.  I guess I just don't care about any of the contestants or their challenges.  Maybe the show needs a better villain.

Me, too.  Can't put my finger on it but it is very dull.  The older white judge is not compelling or interesting in the least.  He is off putting, to me.  They need someone with a better personality in that position.  Gordon is a difficult act to follow but they better try or this will not survive.  There is no humor anywhere from anyone either.  

The only thing of interest is watching Kaila's face contort into a cry.  I would like to see a picture of her before her surgery and procedures.  

It's not as compelling, and it sort of shows why reality shows often edit to have an identifiable villain or at least more distinct personalities among the contenders.

I do think they have the right final four, and I won't mind if any of them win, though Kaila doesn't really do anything for me.

Looks like they're bringing in Joe Bastardbitch for a week to fill that role.  Desparation casting.  But at least they're going to knock off two next week and shorten it up.

Looks like they're bringing in Joe Bastardbitch for a week to fill that role.  Desparation casting.  But at least they're going to knock off two next week and shorten it up.

So I guess we can't call this show "Blessedly Joe free" or whatever that thread here is called ;)

Is it dull because these folks are Canadians?  Nothing against our brothers and sisters to the north -- I love them -- but I must invoke the stereotype here -- they are definitely nicer than we are.  It's dull to us because of the lack of drama on the show.

Watching the show tonight, it just occurred to me that the two best looking women are in the final 3 competing with Eric.  Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.  They're both great cooks, but I'm almost sure Eric will win because Chef Alvin loves him.

Want to see what Eric does with that scary looking crab.

Edited by susannot

I too was surprised Kaila was cut, I could see Tammara coming but totally thought K would be in the final.  I'll miss her goggle-eyed Ritzy Bryan stare, and now I'll just make my way through the final uncaring.  I've been shocked when nervous Eric made it through any week so far so they'll continue to unhinge me by having him win.

This season kind of fizzled out as it went along for me. The final several contestants seemed good, I didn't really see Eric's win coming but there was just a lack of excitement for me.  Some of it is on Chef Alvin - his attempt to be some sort of cross between Gordon and Joe fell flat to me, he became a caricature of himself pretty early on and I couldn't take him seriously.

• Love 1

Chef Alvin the Bluehaired actually grew on me through the season.

Just the opposite for me, I thought he started out great but fell down when he started to be nice to people.  I kept looking for the old Alvin from the first couple of shows and he never came back, and since the other two judges were total ciphers it all fell apart for me.

• Love 1

Chef/Judge Claudio appeared on a couple of CTV shows today to promote the Masterchef Canada Christmas special which airs tonight. On one of the shows, he publicized the air date for the second season.

From the Bell Media (owner of CTV) website:

MASTERCHEF CANADA (Season 2) (Sundays at 7 p.m. ET/PT, beginning Feb. 8 on CTV)

• Love 1

Well, that happened.  I was surprised at the winner, tasting everything through the TV as I do I would have gone the other way.  Has there been a Season 2 in Canadia?

Starting in February.... At least for us Canadian viewers!

And, if it hasn't been mentioned, Eric and Alvin are partnering in opening a restaurant

I came late to the table, so to speak, when I was looking for something to watch over Christmas and gave MC-CA a try.

Too much fake drama.  Too many contestants blowing like whales.  The Asian judge's pregnant pause EVery TIME before "go!"

I am *so* glad Kailie didn't win.  She annoyed me no end.

Surprised that Eric won, but I guess it was based on that one meal, not on his many screwups throughout the series.  I feel Merida should have won for her overall superior performance.

I assume you mean the second season is airing in Canada now?  Same judges?  Other than that I'm going away because I want to remain unspoiled until they decide to show it in the US if they do.

Right, it's not on in the U.S. at the moment, and Machiabelly's profile indicates that s/he lives in Canada.

And Machiabelly, you did fine setting up the thread - thanks!

Once it begins airing in the U.S., I'll set up a second discussion thread for those of us "south of the border."

My DVR cut off the last 10 minutes, just as mouthy pie woman was awaiting her fate.  I was hoping to come here and learn that they told her no.  Sadly, that didn't happen!!  There's a reason why you were not liked growing up.