Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Finale at Mile 0 — Winning Keys in Key West

Tyler lays down the final gauntlet, as the teams must revisit each of the six lessons learned throughout the race, on an epic Florida road trip. They finalize their menu in Tampa, create a radio spot on the beach, partner up in Naples, take airboats into the Everglades for fresh alligator and then battle head to head in a cooking challenge to double their till, all before arriving in Key West. The teams sell on Duvall Street before being called to the White Street Pier for the final tally announcement, where one team will be crowned the winner of the Great Food Truck Race, driving away with $50,000 and the keys to their very own food truck.

Okay seriously producers don't cast an Isreali team and than make them nearly every episode do something not kosher (neither frog or alligator are), I mean to their credit they haven't complained and didn't actually have to cook with the shrimp (and it could be argued their decision to not try and cook with it won them last weeks challenge) but it's annoying. 

• Love 11

Yeah Middle Feast! I really want a Moroccan fish taco right now.

Why is Tyler so determined to keep that scruff on his face? It never looked especially good. And now that it's gone grey, it makes him look more and more like a hobo.

• Love 3

I'm delighted that Middle Feast won.  I wish them much success.  I hope Tommy takes a bit of that money and buys a razor because he seems like a very nice person but he looks sinister.

• Love 1

I'm only a few minutes in and it's all just too frenetic.  In an hour, they're going to visit six more cities, hunt some fresh alligator, make a commercial, shill on Duval Street. . .and there's still time to recap the sympathetic family backstories?  Too much, Show.

Happy to hear Middle Feast took the win.  Catch y'all on the rebound.  : )

• Love 2

Good for Middle Feast.

...having said that, I thought this finale was terrible. With all the talk about seed money and mid-show recaps, it wasn't until 36 minutes into the episode that anyone sold any food for the competition.

• Love 5

Kind of dull for the finale, though I'm glad the winner wasn't based on who won a foot race. I didn't really understand Middle Feast's reasoning for always parking near Lone Star, why did they feel they had to "keep an eye on them"?

• Love 2

Didn't like that one team got to double their seed money, though I'm glad Middle Feast won.

Did Lone Star cheat?

They were told they had to select five items to sell and only sell those items at a preselected price. Lone Star had $2 water and changed one of the menu items.

I think the fries were during the first challenge, when they had to earn their seed money.  I don't think they were on either menu at the end.

Good for Middle Feast, and good for production for shutting down the inflation by defining prices, that took the wind out of Chuckwagon right quick.  The prices were still about 100% too high (I can sit down inside for an awesome shawarma around here for $8 and multiple great burgers for $5-6), but at least if people who showed up left with a bad taste in their mouth it was because of the food and not the fleecing the shiny TV machine gave them.  I haven't watched FN's new food truck show yet, but I'll be surprised if this one comes back in any form, whether or not that one works out.

• Love 3
...having said that, I thought this finale was terrible. With all the talk about seed money and mid-show recaps, it wasn't until 36 minutes into the episode that anyone sold any food for the competition.

Tell us why you should win.  Now tell us what's at stake for you.  Now tell us about what winning could mean for you.  Middle Feast, you've told us about your daughter.  Chuckwagon, you've told us about your wedding.  Now, could you both talk about those things for five more minutes?  Okay, good.  Now can you talk about them again?  Okay, let's go to a new city.  Now that we're in a new city, could you tell us what winning means for you?  Tell us more about your daughter and that wedding.  Now can you drive in slow motion past flags representing all the eliminated contestants, so Tyler can talk for ten minutes about how much it meant having you in the competition?

This episode made me want to scream.  If the show comes back in this form, they should call it "The Not-So-Great Filler Race."

• Love 4

I was tired (and not terribly interested at this point, to be honest) but I made through Alligator Alley. When they started talking--AGAIN--about how fucking important this was to each of them, I turned it off. Seriously, we get it. Winning would be great. I don't think the viewing audience needs to be reassured that someone wandered in off the street on a lark and really has no interest in winning every 5 damn minutes.

I'm also tired of the notion I have to be emotionally involved with every contestant on one of their game shows. Dear Food Network, I don't have to give two shits about the boring as wallpaper paste housewive of Wheel of Fortune to enjoy the show. Also, if you insist on playing getting to know you, people do connect over more that grief, misery, heartache and destitution. Someone at Food Network has some serious issues they need to work out.

• Love 4

Oh, wow, the right team won, but holy crap, that was awful. 

That *cough*  faux Surivor montage *cough* drive by the previous contestant's flags had me cracking up. Oh, I'm sorry, was I supposed to weep over the past contestants? Really feel the brutal competition that is the food truck race by looking sadly at its losers? Cos...um...no.

The most brutal part was listening to Tyler's tortured descriptions of the food when he ate it. Somebody stop or start feeding him his drugs.

Glad the team at least got cash out of the deal to reward their game faces. 

Are we supposed to think that all the trucks were driving around with suitcases filled with $50K? Throughout the entire race?

Did we know that the Texas guy was named Lance? Or that he was married to one of the women? Or that her name was Rachel? Or that they gave up their wedding to go on the race?

If you're going to tug at the heartstrings, you have to start before the finale.

Yeah Middle Feast!

• Love 3

I love how they keep advertising that new show that gives away a food truck EVERY WEEK during this show

If I recall correctly, there was a pilot show for this a while back.  And these people have never been on a food truck before.  I watched the first episode, and if you don't like the Great Food Truck Race you'll never like this show.  I looked for a thread, but I don't think it deserves one.

Oh, host?  Please lose the fucking airhorn.

Very glad for Middle Feast. Most of Texas Chuck Wagon's wins seemed to come from price gouging, and not selling more food or from better promotion. Maybe other teams jacked up prices at times, but not the same degree and not with such ruthless cynicism.

I liked how Tommy kept calling his team "Three Crazy Israelis." That might be a better name for his food truck. I give them so much credit for never bitching about having to cook non Kosher food about half the time. I can only imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. (Of course that would never happen).

Can't believe that the new food truck show also awards trucks to people who have no experience with them. The best seasons of Great Food Truck Race were when teams of actual, operating food trucks competed against each other. If this show is to continue they need to get back to that.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

Are we supposed to think that all the trucks were driving around with suitcases filled with $50K? Throughout the entire race?

Did we know that the Texas guy was named Lance? Or that he was married to one of the women? Or that her name was Rachel? Or that they gave up their wedding to go on the race?

If you're going to tug at the heartstrings, you have to start before the finale.

Yeah Middle Feast!

I thought the blonde was his daughter.  Shows how much I pay attention.

It was feeling like an episode of Chopped with the sob stories.  So. Not. Interested.

I fell asleep 3x watching this on my DVR.  Not sure if I am that sleep deprived or if it was that boring.

Okay seriously producers don't cast an Isreali team and than make them nearly every episode do something not kosher (neither frog or alligator are), I mean to their credit they haven't complained and didn't actually have to cook with the shrimp (and it could be argued their decision to not try and cook with it won them last weeks challenge) but it's annoying.

Nah. Seriously, don't go on a food-related TV competition if there are any foods you are uncomfortable cooking.

I was thrilled Middle Feast won. I liked their entire team, they played fair, and never whined or talked bad about the others. The only thing I kept thinking was Lone Star was probably pissed Middle Feast kept following them around and they couldn't price gouge. What? No $30 dish this round? I've never been to Texas, but the last thing I think of is tacos when I think of Texas. BBQ, yes, tacos, no. I get the Tex-Mex connection, but then don't call yourselves BBQ. Oh, and Lance seems like an ass. 

I just didn't understood what this of the Briefcases was all about. So ok, they want us to believe that they were carrying the $50,000 with them all the time but....

They screwed somehow.

On the final episode, Tyler get both briefcase for the final teams and place them on the floor, first he grabs the Middle Feast on and place it next to he (To his right) then he grabs the Texans one and place it to the right of it.

After counting all the money and when he is ready to announce the winner, he grabs the very right briefcase (left on the screen) that was the briefcase that the Texans gave him, but when he opens it, the paper inside had the name of The Middle Feast Truck.

I don't understand. They clearly did something weird in there.

Didn't like that one team got to double their seed money, though I'm glad Middle Feast won.

Did Lone Star cheat?

They were told they had to select five items to sell and only sell those items at a preselected price. Lone Star had $2 water and changed one of the menu items.

That $2 Water is on all episodes. But in all the 5 Food Truck Season they never say if Trucks are allowed to sell drinks or no, and if that count as money for the competition.

They did, they talk about that in the very first episode when the Team is presented. And the names are shown on screen everytime they read some scripted comment.

Agree with you about the Briefcases, no point at all about those "Mistery briefcases" that only appeared on Episode 1 and on the final.