Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

There is zero chance a truck could just drive up and set up shop.

I think there is zero chance a food truck and full on Hollywood film crew and support staff can just show up anywhere and set up shop.  Vendor licensing for the trucks, filming permits and probably police detail $upport for the TV crew and redirecting traffic and such, arrangements with all the places where they buy food to close down from regular business while the contestants shop, signed releases from every last unblurred face, etc. It's like Phil Lesh used to say about the Dead, it's difficult to make a right turn in a battleship.

• Love 1

I wonder if this show has fallen so far off that they recruit people to come and get food, perhaps even comping them their meals? Because I agree with you, I don't remember so many people lining up as there was in this episode.

Maybe it has & that's why we have a show with people who have no food truck experience instead of people who know what they're doing.

I don't think they are recruiting people, they have had long lines before depending on the place; I think the issue is that the show has gotten a lot more press when they visit places then it did in the first few seasons. 

• Love 1

I tasted the food the year the dudes with the chicken and waffles were on with that stupid flag. The camera crews were handhelds running around..nothing intrusive. Between filming you could talk to the crew and they would tell you where they were in production of the day. It's surprisingly disorganized and hard to find, even on twitter. With all the long lines now it looks more like a social media machine. I'm sure it helps if the city they are stopping in is already food truck friendly though.

I remember when this show first started it was the biggest pain for the first truck to get support from the city and get licenses and zoning etc. Now we have a zillion food trucks. Most are delish! At first the local restaurants were pissed from the competition though.