Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Killer Instinct

Taeolas

Making this thread now, because SPACE (in Canada) aired this on September 02 instead of the Judges Challenge.

Description pending until I can find it. (Can't remember the preferred site to get the desc from and most sites don't list it yet)

Can those who see it discuss it in this thread now? Or do we have to wait until next week?

Edited by Taeolas

I can't believe that the reindeer wasn't kicked out.  When Strudel Jr and I saw it, lopsided antlers, pig face and Christmas elf costume, we burst into laughter.

I didn't think Sasha's was so bad, it was kinda cool.

Boobs-in-the-back prom queen was a hot mess, what was the point???

• Love 3

I guess the judges were on a high from the Judges challenge we Canucks didn't see?

Honestly, I'm surprised the Chum Captain wasn't bottom three. They're usually all over the "Bright Red" makeups. The Chin-tongue apparatus saved him apparently, but I didn't think it was that good (esp for Top 3). When you consider these costumes are meant to be in the theme park (or part of a show I guess?) a lot of them just wouldn't fit at all; the winner met that criteria at least.

The Doe was a mess too; not even a decent Furry costume really; completely missed the point I think. 

• Love 1

Is Canada going to be one episode ahead of the U.S. for the rest of the season? Can some kind Canadian please help me out with your air dates?

I will make a mod note to the entire group noting that we may be on different schedules and that we enter episode threads at our own risk. 

Thanks for alerting me to this!

We'll know next Tuesday, one way or another. There was a lot of chatter on SPACE about the show being the wrong one. Was there anything about the Judge's show that SPACE couldn't show? The challenge seemed pretty standard and non-specific. (And SPACE didn't have a problem with the Defiance challenge even though Showcase airs Defiance up here) Annoying in any case. 

I was happy with George's win but super pissed that they used the save on Sasha instead of sending Dina home for that goofy looking reindeer. Sasha is like a little kid who shows off worse and worse the more attention she's given. Her Stupid Baby routine has always gotten on my nerves, but the klutzy, babbling performance she gave when they announced her save actually made me feel a little sick. I really can't abide infantilized women...can you tell?

I'm one who's been clamoring for less horror makeup, but the contestants certainly seemed to be having a lot of fun with the scary stuff!

• Love 6

I can't believe they wasted the judges save on Sasha. Her work hasn't been that great, & whenever she has to work with someone else, she never speaks up, but she always complains about how her ideas weren't listened to. What a waste of a save.

• Love 6

I usually loathe the gory stuff that they trot out each episode, but this episode I didn't mind too much. I think it was because I cannot stop staring at Blue Eyebrows. They are so damn distracting. Add in green lipstick (!) and the rest of the show becomes a blur for me.

And maybe that's what she wants, people to talk about her. Well, we are. Or, I am. She looks ridiculous.

• Love 3

I was soooo excited to see that Sash was finally going to be sent home and then they ruined it by saving her. Ugh!  The only thing good about her make up was the eyes on the model.  The rest was a crappy mess.  I'm sure they saved Dina and her horrible reindeer because they've liked her stuff in the past.  I was pretty sure she'd be in trouble as soon as she started that awful sculpt.  Where was Mr. Westmore?  I kept waiting for him to come along and tell her it sucked.  

I do agree that George was the top look, super creepy look and would work great in the theme park.  Chum man was hideous but got the idea across.  Backward prom queen? I agree with Glenn, there was nothing there to really say what was going on there.  I was afraid that the judges would love the monochrome make up like they did last season (can't remember the woman's name) which was the only saving grace of that mediocre make up.  (so mediocre that I can't even remember what it was but couldn't believe the judges liked it)

Kind of like on Project Runway, the judges used the save pretty early in the season.  Maybe they don't like it either and now that it's gone there's no second chance.  i, too, thought the reindeer was just horrible. And Dina knew it, yet she didn't scrap her sculpture and start over.  Made no sense to me.  The Prom look was never going to work as her arms and legs still carried the forward motion.  The Meryl Streep-Goldie Hawn movie Death Becomes Her used tons of special effects to make that work.  It's a really complicated concept and look that was not going to work the way the artist was going.  The way to do it would have been to make a head/face that faced backward.

I'm glad that George won-he had the maid's outfit on at one point; he makes me smile.  Hmm, I seem to be forgetting others.  Oh well, sometimes there just isn't a remarkable point of remembrance for me.  

• Love 1

They should have sent reindeer girl home. "Cloven" -- especially in this setting -- is a reference to Satan's traditional cloven hooves, not Rudolph's. 

Then there was the mess she made of her execution.  Looked like Rudolph went out with some elf one night on a bender during which they decided to trade clothing and/or fur and it all ended with him having a massive hangover.  Would have been fine if it was a send-up of the genre I guess but it wasn't suppose to be that.

Winner was okay.  But horror leaves me totally bored.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Dina, Dina, Dina. Reindeers are not scary. Not even Rudolph. Not even Anya was scared of reindeers.*

"Cloven hooves" always mean the Devil. Shoulda stuck to Satan.

*Is reindeer plural? Are reindeer plural? Evem plural, red-eyed reindeer would not be scary..

Edited by picklesprite
  • Love 2

When I saw the poster for The Cloven, my not-so-inner metalhead immediately went to a satanic goat-human hybrid monster like something off of a black metal album cover. The reindeer idea was a stretch to begin with, IMO, but that costume... OH that costume. I laughed out loud when I saw that thing wearing the little elf costume stabbing at the air.

Something that also made me laugh? When Drew's guy pulled his scalp back and Neville exclaimed, "It's so JUICY!" Something about the way he said it just made me giggle like a fool.

• Love 6

Thank you forum-posters. Teen-Age Son and I could NOT figure out how Dina was still in after that disaster of a make-up. TAS even left room after George won (YAY!!) thinking that the rest was a fait accompli, but nooooooooo..... We thought maybe we were missing something, but by reading these posts, clearly we were not, so thanks for the validation. TAS thought maybe the judges were told that they were required to get rid of the Tim Gunn Save this week, and thought that Sasha deserved the Save more than Dina, but that doesn't work out logically. And thanks, Spooneroonie, for commenting on the green lipstick - could the judges have sent her home for that?

• Love 2

Nutjob "When I saw the poster for The Cloven, my not-so-inner metalhead immediately went to a satanic goat-human hybrid monster like something off of a black metal album cover. The reindeer idea was a stretch to begin with, IMO, but that costume."

Yes, YES I was yelling at the screen. "A deer?! Deer are cute! They are not scary! Do the demon thing with the scary goat eyes. "http://animalphotos.info/a/topics/animals/mammals/goats/

• Love 3

As soon as I saw who were the three that were in the bottom looks, and that more than one of them failed miserably at this challenge, I just knew that the save was going to be used. If Dina and the bride-designer (I can never remember her name!) had been more locked into a solid concept and Sasha had been the only floundering, I think they would have cut her loose, but since all three of them were so bad, they probably couldn't justify chucking one out over the others.

I love George more and more each week--he is always having such fun in the lab!!  And he got that really excellent petite blonde model this week, the one who really puts her all into selling the character.

Are the contestants prevented from using any kind of reference materials? They must be, right?  Because I do a lot of sculpting, but if I suddenly had the need to sculpt a particular animal face, I'm not sure I'd be able to recall perfectly the anatomy of that animal. And having a mental image of what something is supposed to look like when it's done isn't all that helpful if you don't know what the bones underneath are doing. But if Dina didn't know how to make a reindeer head look like a reindeer head, why didn't she pick another animal form? *puzzled*

Are the contestants prevented from using any kind of reference materials? They must be, right?

I think they are allowed access to reference stuff. It's a bit weird in that sometimes it seems they don't have any access to such, and then other times you see them flipping through huge dictionaries of reference images or referencing stuff on their tablets.

Though I think her real problem wasn't not knowing what a reindeer head should look like, but having difficulty trying to pull off a non-hybrid reindeer on the anatomy of the human head. Though once she figured the problem out(which seemed to be mid-day 1) she should have just wiped the face off and started over on a new concept or just done a hybrid so that should bring deer into the face without dealing with the fact that the human head doesn't want to be a deer head.

Edited by snakenax

I really liked the winning makeup this week. It was the only one that I could actually see running around Universal Studios for the next six weeks. So much is usually made of the huge and involved makeups that it was nice to see the judges appreciate restraint.

Speaking of the judges, I'm not entirely sure whether they're encouraging Sasha or just humoring her. 

Edited by drmka9

I was trying to decide why they saved Sasha, and I think it's because when she does succeed, she brings a different perspective that they'd like to see more of. OTOH, she's been a lousy partner and she's pretty inconsistent, so I could see letting her go.

I would have sent home one of the other two, quite frankly. Sasha's was creepier than them, and I think it could have worked well had she had a bit more time.

I kind of wish she'd have gotten a year or two of work under her belt before coming on this show, because she might be a lot stronger then.

• Love 2

Coming back to add: About Sasha's odd vein pattern. I am super pale just like Sasha. So I know that we both carry around a convenient example of what a scary, creepy vein pattern looks like.  Sasha honey. Just look down! Do that!

• Love 5

The reindeer in the red and green outfit? I think he used to hang on my mom's Christmas tree when I was little. He was made of pipe cleaners and felt. I think she bought him for a quarter at the church craft fair. 

• Love 3

Funnily enough, I didn't hate the reindeer. Oh, sure, it was a bust from a technical standpoint, but at least it was thinking outside the box, instead of going for the obvious goat/satanic monster that popped up in everybody's mind.

Meanwhile, most of the other creations were either fugly (that red monstrosity, ugh...) or so obvious & by the numbers that it pissed me off more than anything. "A difformed hillbilly hunting people & cutting their head with a machette" whoopdeedoo, I've never seen that before... at least, someone like Roy would have created a crazy contraption to cut head, or something. "A murderous girlfriend with an axe on the poster ? Yay, let's make a murderous girlfriend with an axe in a sexy outfit !" *sigh*

And what about that Buzzcut poster, clearly an entire poster relying on barbershop/haircut jokes... no, let's have a crazy doc scalping people !

I'll stop there, cos after last week's high, it was a serious reminder of this season's overall talent level. Not impressed.

• Love 1

I'll stop there, cos after last week's high, it was a serious reminder of this season's overall talent level.

I've actually been rewatching season 4 and overall it reminds me this season's talent level could be much, much worse.

• Love 1

I've actually been rewatching season 4 and overall it reminds me this season's talent level could be much, much worse.

Eh. Not convinced. Season 4 had mediocre stuff, indeed, but it also had Anthony dominating the competition, and a few great things (I still remember Eric Fox constantly thinking outside of the box). So far, even though this current crop of talent seems to be on a more level playing field, they have yet to produce anything (or anyone, for that matter) really memorable or outstanding.

Eh. Not convinced. Season 4 had mediocre stuff, indeed, but it also had Anthony dominating the competition, and a few great things (I still remember Eric Fox constantly thinking outside of the box). So far, even though this current crop of talent seems to be on a more level playing field, they have yet to produce anything (or anyone, for that matter) really memorable or outstanding.

I'd say the average for season 4 was pretty close to the worst of this season, like last week's Cowardly Lion, this week's reindeer and poison lady, the half finished alien Gwen got sent home for, the peanut gangster.. still better than pretty much everything Autumn, Meagan, House and Eric Z touched. And none of the episodes have had quite as uniformly bad results as the insect challenge, super hero challenge, Defiance challenge, Giant challenge and possible the worst of the worst for show's history, the space werewolf challenge(the only other challenge I can think of that competes for results that bad is last season's anime challenge). And I think Dina's nymph from the first episode, the flying monkey and tin woodsman from the last episode, Sasha and Stella's aliens, the Big Tuna gangster and the Pine tree are about as good as anything from season 4.

Though I might just have a different view of what constitutes good or original as well, since I find Roy wildly overrated and really didn't like anything he made in two seasons(I didn't like the Rook he made for Ve either).

Yup, Sasha should have gone. My only comfort is that she's probably going to be gone next week.

Why waste the save on her? She's not completely terrible but she is NOWHERE NEAR in the same league as the other contestants. Not even close. Plus we have at least one more week of her flouncing and fawning and giggling.

They should have sent Dina home, but used the save on her. That would have made more sense.

The Chin-tongue apparatus saved him apparently, but I didn't think it was that good (esp for Top 3).

It was storming here last night so the satellite cut out several times.  I had missed that the chin was supposed to be a tongue, and could not figure out what was going until the judges inspection, and they were raving about it.  I think it was a clever idea, but the execution wasn't quite there, and I didn't really like the makeup as a whole, it looked really cheesy and fake.  I was surprised that he was in the top.  Though it definitely was better than the bottom 3.  I would have put him in the middle.  

I was glad they used the save last night.  I like all of the bottom 3 and want to see more from them, although at this point in the season, there is not anyone that I really want to see gone. 

I think Sasha has a pretty unique perspective, and her stuff is usually fairly unique.  I agree that it is a problem that she hasn't spoken up in the group challenges, but hopefully the past couple weeks are a wake up call to be more assertive. 

I also thought the deer was a disaster.  It could have been a tiny bit less of a disaster if it weren't for the elf costume.  As it was, it could have been a great horror parody, and one that I would laugh my ass off watching, it just wasn't creepy in any way. 

The backwards homecoming queen was a mess too, the concept was just too difficult in the amount of time they had.  But I did like the black and white idea. 

They should have sent Dina home, but used the save on her. That would have made more sense.

I agree.  Dina and Stella are my favorites of the females but that reindeer was awful.  However, Dina has done some very good work up to this point so they could have justified the save.  Sasha is just juvenile and has a lot of growing up to do.  Even her body language is childish.  I would have been happy to see the girl with the blue hair and absurd lipstick colors go too.  She must think she looks hip or cool or something.  She looks ridiculous and immature.

During previous seasons, I remember Glenn and Neville both dinging people for doing things that are anatomically impossible so I didn't understand the praise for a gaping abdominal mouth with teeth in it.

Nutjob "When I saw the poster for The Cloven, my not-so-inner metalhead immediately went to a satanic goat-human hybrid monster like something off of a black metal album cover. The reindeer idea was a stretch to begin with, IMO, but that costume."

Yes, YES I was yelling at the screen. "A deer?! Deer are cute! They are not scary! Do the demon thing with the scary goat eyes. "http://animalphotos.info/a/topics/animals/mammals/goats/

Remember that silly leprechaun that came on stage and danced around the micro-mini styrofoam "Stonehenge" in the film This Is Spinal Tap?

Now imagine Spinal Tap doing an oh-so-heavy satanic song about the "dark, evil cloven one" and Rudolph here suddenly appears on stage behind them at the climatic moment.

• Love 4

They should have sent reindeer girl home. "Cloven" -- especially in this setting -- is a reference to Satan's traditional cloven hooves, not Rudolph's. 

True, however if Dina did go the Satan route she would have been dinged for being "obvious."

Edited by OakGoblinFly

I think that had Dina expanded a little on her idea it might have worked.  More of a reindeer face, shredded and dirty elf clothes, and hooves made out to be like knives would work, along with a gaping drooling mouth and bloody eyes, and maybe some things impaled on the horns, (doll heads and other bloodied toys would work well with that) that all could have worked.

Why waste the save on her?

They had to use it on somebody to keep from being an episode short, and were running out of time. Of those with the bottom looks this week she was easiest to justify saving, so they called her the loser (though she wasn't really) and got their no-elimination week.

I hated Cig's make-up.  Honestly, aside from the chin/tongue thing, I couldn't see why they thought it was so great.  Maybe it looked better in person, because it just seemed like a gloopy mess on screen.

I'm curious about what other makeups are going to be featured at Halloween Horror Nights.  There's a photo that they're using to advertise it that was obviously inspired by Miranda's pumpkin make-up (please remember, that theme was "whimsy"), but other than that, I'm not sure what they're using.

Dina, Dina, Dina. Reindeers are not scary. Not even Rudolph. Not even Anya was scared of reindeers.

Oh, I disagree completely.  Not about  the reindeer being terrible, because indeed it was terrible.  I was sure she was going to go home for it.  But she should have just blown off the whole Santa thing and gone more the Revenge of Bambi's Mom, complete with the bloody head wound that got the other guy the win. 

Some examples of horror deer:

Deer Woman, from the TV series Masters of Horror: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0643103/?ref_=ttep_ep7

The beautiful and classic Finnish vampire film The White Reindeer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045283/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

I was also disappointed by the hillbilly theme of the Trophy Room, maybe because I've just been discussing The Most Dangerous Game over on the TCM board.  Why not go for the classic Big Game Bwana?  Though oddly the makeup did feature a hunter with a wildly lopsided face, as in TMDG.

Edited by ratgirlagogo