Type keyword(s) to search

Bering Sea Gold - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I must say, I don't miss Scott Meisterheim, but yet, I kinda miss his brand of crazy.  If I had to know him in real life, I would not be able to get away fast enough, but on screen? He was riveting. Maybe he is in jail again? I can't believe that the old guys(can't remember his name) wife let him out of the house to lose yet another million dredging for gold in the money pit called Nome Alaska.  Really can't stand his next in charge, that guy has a huge chip on his shoulder.

Glad to see Zeke, I knew he would not get any time, I bet in Alaska they have a little leeway for crazy. Plus it was a first offense.

I asked for this show, as any other place I go to to talk about the show, has people just talking about seeing Emily's boobs...not the type of discussion I am looking for.

I am beginning to think Nome is the place for horrible fathers.  First we had Scott, then Steve, and now we have the the Kelly family.  I have also heard that Sean has four children from three different women.  Maybe it is something in the water.

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for 'golden' quotes and a little bit of small talk.

The fourth season for Bering Sea Gold premiered August 22, 2014.

To the Nome dredging fleet, gold equals freedom.  This year, the fortune seekers head out in search of the American dream – each determined to top last year’s record-setting gold haul.  But can they put their personal battles aside, withstand the arctic environment and concentrate on finding treasure?

I have never been so irritated by someone on this show, then that douche Kelly, the father, of course. He dives for 10 minutes and gets another cut of the gold? How do those guys put up with him. And then he has to go and do some prenatal stuff with the sidepiece. I guess its the wife's fault because she did not come up to Nome with him.

The Kelly's dad does not mind putting his sons' life in danger for a little money.  Good Lord, just when you thought these people could not get any worse. 

I think Glen gets very tunnel visioned when it comes to the gold and takes very stupid risks.  This would not make him the best dredger in Nome as most good dredgers would always put safety first.

The Kellys.  Wow what a piece of shit dad.  Does none of the diving (except for his 10 minute dive......what a pussy) and not only gets a cut he gets HALF of the gold and lies to his own sons about how much it was and keeps the overage.  All on camera so his son's can see it later and not give one shit about it.  There is a place in hell for fathers like that and he has a special seat just for him when he dies. 

This show cracks me up.  Emily is a train wreck which is no surprise but I feel bad for her crew.  I hope they are paid well to be on the show.  One ounce of Gold.......hahahahahaha.

• Love 1

Should have checked in a long time ago but kept swearing I didn't give a darn about the series - then I keep watching.  Emily is the idiot of the show and does such a disservice to women.  So where did she get $50,000 to invest in new equipment anyways?  Last year she was broke.   Her father is an idiot and she's a close second.

I do chuckle about Mr. Gold.  Hey, he does work hard and has taken a lot of shit from his Dad.

The Kelly Dad is just a slime ball.  I never caught how old the younger son is but I can't believe he would not find out as soon as the brother got to him. 

When I look at this cast, only "Mr. Gold" is a decent guy.  The rest of them are all mental idiots though I will always root for the Kelly sons.

• Love 1

I finally (!)  saw someone say they had GPS coordinates of the good spot that they wanted to return to.

did that underwater 'machine' stay underwater?   I missed seeing it dragged ashore.    was it last season when they kind of lost it for a while?   GPS would have helped then, too.

whatever happened to Ian Foster ?    he was on season 1  (guy who quit his gov job)

It's back and it's not much different.

It looks like The Christine Rose, Au Grabber, The Clark, Eroica, Reaper and whatever Vernon is using are in this season. One of the Kelly boys plans to buy the Reaper out from under his crooked father, who is only renting it from the current owner. Vernon has another daughter who will be dredging this season. Zeke is dredging with his gf from the bus cafeteria (which seems to be gone) with no sign of his asshat partner from the winter season.

Just glad there's no Meisterheim any more.

I got tired of the "gotta find gold or I'm  going to jail"   story.       was it season one, when he worked two months and only had about $300  in gold?   who would do that?  what was he actually doing for those months?

then, on the last day of dredging, he dives for someone else.   and makes $10,000 doing it.     wow  right.  sure.   I remember thinking that was the only way they could bring him back for another season.    because of the gold-or-jail story.   

(numbers may be off)

------------------------------------------------

there were a couple times when guys said they hoped they could find that good spot again.   I was thinking "too bad Alaska doesn't have gps."   :)

I think it was season three before I heard one of them mention using gps.      if mentioned earlier, I missed it.

Edited by clod

I remember Zeke talking about GPS because someone accused him of claim jumping. They have to have GPS to prove where they're dredging.

I feel kind of bad for the one Kelly kid who got ratted out by the boat owner. Anyone who watched last year knows Brad is lying about totals, manipulating the cut and diving for 15 minutes to increase his share. He's the new Scott Meisterheim.

For entertainment value, I want to see more Vernon. Emily has lost all the drama from her relatively competent operation.

I noticed how much healthier and happier Zeke looked and I chalked it up to his girlfriend (who seems pretty cool).  It is too bad if they start fighting (I remember how she was with him when he was standing trial).

I think this show has some of the most sketchiest characters on reality t.v. and that is saying a lot.  The Kelly family is a dysfunctional soap opera in itself.

The ones I'm rooting for are the sons - wish they would both leave the father - he is still a selfish person. One lesson to be learned (if story line is real) don't cheat on children's Mom.  The younger son - though an adult - will always remember what  his Dad did.

Emile is a waste of time.  have not been able to stomach her from the beginning.

....did anyone notice on Friday's latest episode, the Pomrenkies taking a check from the gold pay office for $60K for 68 ounces of gold???

...what's up with that, 68 ounces is worth close to $75K, no way they took a check for $60K for that gold?....what happened? are the Pomrenkies that stupid they cannot count?......???

....did anyone notice on Friday's latest episode, the Pomrenkies taking a check from the gold pay office for $60K for 68 ounces of gold???

...what's up with that, 68 ounces is worth close to $75K, no way they took a check for $60K for that gold?....what happened? are the Pomrenkies that stupid they cannot count?......???

I believe that gold buyer is essentially paying them a "deposit" on the gold. He then will melt it down and pay them the balance of whatever is left after the imputirities are melted (smelted?) out. Win-win, they get cash up front and the buyer doesn't have to worry about gold sellers owing him any money back if their gold is impure.

• Love 1

So senior Pomrenke wants Sean to do all the work to put into the inland mining operation, but does not want to give him any of the profit?  Who cuts their son out of a deal like that.

Does the Kelly dad really think other miners are going keep giving them a cut of their gold after the first time, just because he tells them about the location?  Why the hell would they...he does not own any of the land.  I can see a one time fee, because he gave them the tip, but nothing after that.  He certainly thinks he is quite the business genius.

The dads on this show make me appreciate my father, who never tried to kill me just so he could get an extra ounce of gold.

• Love 3

I do think a few men would have been taken back by the younger Kelly son dealing with  a Dad who was cheating on the Mom and not even supporting her.  I'm glad the program are showing the Dad for what not who he is.  I do feel bad about the girlfriend in dire straights and hope she makes it through this.

Emile is still the s**t of the outfit.  She is so slimy - ugh!  I laughed out loud when she describes herself as a "captain, a leader"  Are you kidding me? 

I too am rooting for the Kelly boys.  Their father is one big piece of shit!  He has no love for either one of them.  Watching Kris being kicked out of the house by his dad to make room for his new daughter was beyond sad.  I just wanted to hug him.

Please let their dad get a taste of his own medicine.

• Love 1

I watch this Boring Sea Gold entirely against my wishes, my husband gets control of the remote and he likes this show only because he likes gold and all men are treasure hunters, it's in their DNA. The Kelly father is a brutal mess. Brad Kelly was only 16 years old when he had Kris. Andy and Kris Kelly sure drew the short straw when they got Brad Kelly for a father. Brad Kelly left Hawaii to move to Nome to dredge. I can't even imagine the Kelly's living in Hawaii and leaving it for that disgusting God-forsaken place, Nome, Alaska. That right there makes me question their sanity.

I like Kris Kelly, he appears to be sincere about his efforts to work hard and find some gold. He's not the brightest bulb in the pack and probably has a sixth grade education if that much. But he seems to be sincere and honest compared to his low-down, nasty old man Brad. Stealing gold from the sluice box is something so lowdown that he's fortunate his sleazy ass hasn't met up with a shotgun to this point. What disgusting piece of human flesh he is.

• Love 1

Don't forget he also has a newborn who I feel the most sympathetic for.  Him and his GF had no problem stealing from his sons. 

I wish he would suit up and dive then maybe Andy would cut out the engine and say "payback is a mofo."

I totally believe that there was absolutely no scripting or producer manipulation that resulted in Emily needing to work with Zeke again, and with an all-female crew. Right.

Granted, I can see why they did it. Last season Zeke's effort was pathetic.

• Love 4

I enjoyed Emily having to grovel,even if it was producer manipulation. If all the fighting Kellys can get a license, I'm sure Emily can figure it out. Zeke has no interest in being her partner, I wonder what they had to offer him to do it. I liked how she threw in how she wanted to use him for his dredge, oh yeah, and be friends again. Such crap.

• Love 2

Emily really grates on me for some reason.  I wish her well as I don't want to see anybody fail, but she seems to think that she's a successful veteran who know all the ins and outs.  And I liked Zeke season 1 but he's gone off the rails and has a nasty attitude.  I wonder how many of these miners would have gone broke if not for the money from the show.  I'd say 50% at least.

• Love 1

There is no way most of these people would have gotten anything together for such a short four week season if it was not for the show..  I hope the Kelly father is not on the screen for long... as I can not stand that piece of trash.

I do sometimes feel sorry for Emily.  It must not have been easy having Steve for a father.  I wish she would pursue that opera career that she was so passionate about and leave all this behind.  Hopefully, her earnings from the show will help her accomplish this.

I like Zeke, but I worry about his mental stability.

I remember some anonymous poster said some things about the show on another board (supposedly a resident of Nome).   He said Zeke and Sean were extremely tough guys.  The person said both guys were pretty messed up emotionally, but that they were serious miners, while the rest were poseurs for the show.

On a shallow note, I have not seen anyone's looks go downhill as fast as Sean's right hand man, Cody.  It is hard to believe, but Cody was a total hottie the first season.  I have no idea what happened to the guy, as the first season was not too long ago.  It is like he aged twice the rate of a normal person.

• Love 1

I like Zeke too and hope he does well.  After his friend killed himself Zeke pretty much lost it.  He seems to have recovered somewhat and hope he continues to get better.  All though working with Emily may not be the best thing for his sanity so we will see.

The Kellys........ugh their father is beyond horrible.  I hate that the boys are working with their dad again and if its more of the same with him ripping the boys off I will just FF through their segment of the show.  I just can't watch it.  So many things wrong with their dad I don't know how they tolerate him.

Love this show just because it is such a train wreck of so many undesirables. 

if its more of the same with him ripping the boys off

by this time they should have seen the episodes, and know what he was doing.   you think they would work with him after seeing that?

I was a little surprised when they set up their operation right beside his.

by this time they should have seen the episodes, and know what he was doing.   you think they would work with him after seeing that

I agree.  I think it is some deep seated desire for the boys to get their father to love them or give them approval.  I can't image what it must have been like to have grown up with him as a father.  Twisted family dynamics to say the least.

My goodness Emily.  The point was whether or not she asked you to help her, but the fact that you yanked the umbilical without checking to see what the heck you were doing.  This could have been forgivable, as everyone makes a stupid mistake now and then.  However, you decided to make things much worse buy disappearing for twenty four hours to have a temper tantrum.  This is a whole precious day of a very short mining season, where you operation was at a standstill because of your actions.

I think Emily thought that she was going to be the wise masterful teacher to a bunch of greenhorn lady divers.  She wants us to think she is pretty bad ass, but instead it is showcasing how she understands very little of what she is doing.  She could not even get a permit on time.

The contrivance is getting harder to watch.  I sometimes wonder how the heck this show keeps getting renewed.

• Love 4

As contrived as the show is, the Pomrenke 'expedition' is interesting.  Do not want to explore the father-son dynamics at all, but seeing a different area and the planning and effort put into it is a little beyond the show's usual path.  The relics from previous mining adventures is interesting too.

Wonder what medications Zeke might be taking? 

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 1

Do not want to explore the father-son dynamics at all, but seeing a different area and the planning and effort put into it is a little beyond the show's usual path.  The relics from previous mining adventures is interesting too.

Yes to this.  I really enjoy watching them mining at this old site that has not been touched for years.  Gives the show much needed interest.  I do not want to see the son/father angst again.  They did the to death the first two seasons so give it a rest already. 

And I can't help but watch for the Kelly family drama.  I so want the boys to deck their arrogant father's smiling mug just one time.  I cannot stand that man.

• Love 1

does the seal find air pockets under the ice?  (to breathe)

odd that Zeke says gold mining stopped when Emily took a day off.   err..... took off for a day.   why was it stopped?

but one or two episodes later, she is shown motoring out to his dive operation by herself.   looks like no one is there.   oh, wait.  Zeke is diving.    hmmm.   was he diving by himself?    maybe he doesn't need her or her resources at all.

Emily's all-girl-crew?    made for tv.

I guess that $100k  underwater machine will be useful for the summer dredging.

I had been wondering why the dredging was "limited" to very-near-Nome.   maybe it isn't?    or is that a great spot because of a river mouth or something.

another curiosity.   they finally had a very profitable season with the Christine Rose.  got it figured out.    great.   so what do they do?   double down?   build another dredge just like the CR?   nope.    they make plans to head inland.   I hope their big plan includes someone staying near Nome and running the CR.

Edited by clod