Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Black Ice

Also, for a northern town, lots of people would also have down comforters in addition to an assortment of coats and hats.  Wrap a down comforter around you and you could sleep for a week in the snow and not feel a thing.  Dum dum dum.

Yeah, and using up all their fuel with the generators.  Have these people ever heard of fire....you know, the kind you can start with wood....that comes from trees maybe?

• Love 1

I said this last week, but color me impressed that they managed to come up with an even dumber scenario/ordeal for these idiots to go through.

Don't go to the clinic, we dismantled that set and we only have the high school now.

What was with the weird pointlessly awkward scene between Pauline and Rebecca?  Was this supposed to be important because Rebecca and Big Jim had a brief flirtation that was forgotten after the third episode?   

I thought the temperature was colder in the upper atmosphere because there were fewer air particles and it's also further from the ground which absorbs heat and emits infrared (heat) waves.  So how does the "Upper atmosphere is being pulled down" work?

Rebecca is such an optimist.  "The temperature is dropping.  I can't predict how many people would freeze to death."  See Becky Pine, no need for the pig virus since something new will always come along.  The Dome just keeps on giving.  Where was Mrs. "Leave Chester Mills?  But it's our HOME" this week?

Rebecca warns Barbie and Julia that they better get back before nightfall or "you won't last a few minutes outside without serious consequences", and they're all "laterz" without wearing hats or maybe a dozen more layers?  And why is all the food lost forever if Barbie and Julia don't go to the Sweet Briar right away?

Jim: "Most kids want their parents back together."  Hello, I think Junior is a full grown man and he hates your guts.  Or he did two days ago.

Pauline is so smart with words.  "I fell in love.  I married Jim.  I had a son."  Those three things might not be related to one another.

Talk about Deja vu.  Pauline was sure fast with the "Is she dead?" when Melanie passed out.

I don't remember... how did Hunter know that Big Jim got zapped with the Egg again?  I thought Norrie and Joe planned her emotional breakdown so Joe could go through Hunter's bag, but they didn't?  

"Take Julia's Prius, we've siphoned gas out of everyone's car."  I love how this leadership works.  The Mob of Dumb had no problems with that?

What a medical breakthrough.  Maybe they should plunge all ER wards to 2 degrees Fahrenheit and then bring them back to life 

How would Pauline know after an hour "I can't paint anymore.  My visions are gone."  Well the first point was confirmed long ago.

What was so creepy about the ambulance sunroof glass shattering which necessitated dramatic music and a commercial break?  I thought maybe Godzilla was looking down at them.

So this was the first episode where they didn't even bother to come up with a false science explanation for why the temperature warmed back up?  No Rebecca using the giant windmill to fan the heat from the generator to the rest of the town?

Best line of the episode goes to Barbie: "You'd be surprised how much heat one candle can give off."    I'll have to remember that next time I camp in Antarctica.

Oh boy, the Dome is rolling up the grass like it is a carpet.  Can't wait to see how they get out of this one.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4

And the silly Julia deciding to secure the stretcher.  Who cares that it's rattling?  

That's when I started laughing. It was so random that I knew something really stupid was going to happen.

Yeah, and using up all their fuel with the generators.  Have these people ever heard of fire....you know, the kind you can start with wood....that comes from trees maybe?

Or from the houses that were supposedly destroyed in the earthquake or the magnetic whateverthatwas.   

However, I am glad they didn't think to start a fire or else we would have be subjected to Rebecca running around telling everyone that they are going to run out of oxygen (despite the fact that they determined in the first season that the dome can somehow let air through) and people suddenly dying from carbon monoxide poisoning  There is no way that this show would have gotten carbon monoxide poisoning correct either - they probably would have had people break out in a rash before collapsing suddenly (although one of the funniest moments to me was, earlier this season, when people would "collapse" as they ran toward the gallows - and by collapsing, I mean "slipped on a banana peel").   . 

Or maybe, if they had started a fire, it would have gotten out of control, because they have no water (and are too dumb to clear an area around the fire site) and then Rebecca would have the townspeople spend 30-40 minutes rebuilding the windmill to blow out the flames (which would work for no logical reason, other than science is different under the dome). 

Either way, I am glad they didn't build a fire. 

• Love 1
Where was Mrs. "Leave Chester Mills?  But it's our HOME" this week?

Maybe she's the new love interest for Norrie's Mom and they were off somewhere getting busy to keep warm.

Seriously, out of all the nearly infinite stupid things on this show, the disappearance of Norrie's mom is maybe my #1 peeve. She mentions her dead mom once in a while, but wasn't even concerned that her other living mom wasn't at the school and might be a giant Chesters Mill flavored popsicle.  Grrrrrrrrrr.

• Love 1

Seriously, out of all the nearly infinite stupid things on this show, the disappearance of Norrie's mom is maybe my #1 peeve. She mentions her dead mom once in a while, but wasn't even concerned that her other living mom wasn't at the school and might be a giant Chesters Mill flavored popsicle.  Grrrrrrrrrr.

I think she jumped over the cliff when no one was looking and is already in California.  The actress probably jumped off this sinking ship and found a better gig on a Netflix show or something.

I think she jumped over the cliff when no one was looking and is already in California.  The actress probably jumped off this sinking ship and found a better gig on a Netflix show or something.

A Waffle House waitress would be a better gig.

• Love 1
Pauline says she can't paint anymore.....  Doesn't this make Big Jim the hero he always wanted to be ?

It does. That actually makes him the best character in the show. Barbie, you slacker!

The actress playing Junior's mom seems like she's acting in a satire or something. I don't get it.

She's the worst in a see of awful acting, but I can't blame her for not even trying.

I think I can explain The Horror of 2 Degrees Fahrenheit.

I have lived all but 4 of my 61 years in climates that go well below zero in the winter, but anything below 20 is miserable to me. When I had to attend a 3 hour outside, seated event in May when the wind chill was in the 40s, my lips turned blue and I couldn't stop shivering for hours afterward, even with hot drinks and hot bath. I have low blood pressure.

So, the 2 degree plot point people and I should move our low blood pressure butts to Florida as soon as we are able and not write any stories about feeling cold due to the weather.

• Love 2

Everyone has pretty much already hashed out all the stupid with regard to Julia and Barbie in the ambulance, so I guess there's not much more to say except...wow that was dumb.  They should be careful with putting Barbie, who is supposed to be the show's most capable character, into the middle of the stupidest scenes.  They should reserve scenes like that for Pauline, Junior, Rebecca, stupid food hoarder woman, etc.

I didn't get the scene between Pauline and Melanie at all.  "My best friend...who left me for dead!" Melanie cries.  So was that supposed to be some kind of dig?  Is Melanie letting Pauline know she is mad at her?  Because Melanie actually seems too stupid to really be mad at anybody.

Word to everyone who pointed out how they just let Sam wander around even when they know or should know that he hacked Angie to pieces.  Doesn't that worry them at all?  And they've know how bad Big Jim is for a while now; this latest incident with tossing the egg is just the icing on the cake.  But they don't worry about that much, either.  Just let the psychos run all over the place, including Junior, who locks women up in fallout shelters when he "loves" them.

• Love 2

I think I can explain The Horror of 2 Degrees Fahrenheit.

I have lived all but 4 of my 61 years in climates that go well below zero in the winter, but anything below 20 is miserable to me. When I had to attend a 3 hour outside, seated event in May when the wind chill was in the 40s, my lips turned blue and I couldn't stop shivering for hours afterward, even with hot drinks and hot bath. I have low blood pressure.

So, the 2 degree plot point people and I should move our low blood pressure butts to Florida as soon as we are able and not write any stories about feeling cold due to the weather.

Well, we have already diagnosed the writers with short-term memory loss.  Now we can also diagnose them with low blood pressure. I suppose this is only the tip of the iceberg of things the writers are afflicted with.   

They were carrying on like it was 2 degrees above absolute zero, and yet clothed as if it were a balmy 70. I can understand Julie and Pauline didn't want to mess up their perfect curls with a hat, but what was Big Jim's excuse?

I hope the dome contracts until it forms a perfect snow globe. Of fire.

• Love 3

Chester's Mill has to be the smallest town in the U.S. - where the population must number under a hundred people.  

Apologies if I'm getting the book & show confused, but I thought it was explained that most of Chester's Mill was in the neighboring town for a parade before the dome dropped.

Apologies if I'm getting the book & show confused, but I thought it was explained that most of Chester's Mill was in the neighboring town for a parade before the dome dropped.

I think the problem is that the show has been inconsistent with the number of people that are still in Chester's Mill. It was mentioned in the first episode that a lot of the town had gone to see the parade but they never really said any numbers. The closest we get is seeing the scenes where there is a town meeting at the diner or under the cement factory before the blast. Then there was that scene where Big Jim was looking through all the census forms that he and Rebecca had everyone in town fill out. The stack on his desk suggested maybe two or three hundred people. That seemed like a number that made sense. Since the parade was probably on a weekend then there would also be people gone from Chester's Mill who went to the shopping mall, visiting relatives, friends and other weekend activities that would have them out of town when the dome fell. So say that more than half the town was gone then that would mean the town of Chester's Mill had a population of about 700 with less than half that actually in town on Dome Day. That was my impression anyway until Big Jim said that they had to get two thousand people to jump over the cliff. Two thousand? There's two thousand people trapped under the dome? Where are all these people hiding? The hoarder lady really had enough food in her basement to feed two thousand people for a month. Must have been one gigantic basement.

I think the show has no idea what the number is and just uses whatever amount is needed for plot purposes for that particular episode which is just another reason why this show is so bad. They can't even get something as basic as how many are trapped under the dome right although one of the episodes centered on getting a  census to determine what the current population was. This is the kind of show that really would benefit from having writers that plan out some basic facts from the start such as population, size of the dome, what's going on with all the empty houses, how many days since the dome fell...

Things like that could have made this show so much better than it is but unfortunately it didn't even do that.

Edited by Desperately Random

As they don't remember how big the dome is, it's really hard for writers to declare how many people actually live there. Are there really only one and a half local teens? (Joe and the elusive skater boy?) Didn't they have a wild party at Joe's house in Season 1? (Oh, the rat hole of questions this opens up!)

I missed the line about 2000 people being in the dome. That is totally crazy, even by the writing standards of this show. There have been a hundred things which don't make sense with that number, unless you assume that 90% of the population never goes to those mass meetings at the church or restaurant or school and just stay in their homes, ration their supplies and ignore Big Jim and Julia and the rest. Which probably makes them the smart ones.

• Love 2
I missed the line about 2000 people being in the dome. That is totally crazy, even by the writing standards of this show. There have been a hundred things which don't make sense with that number, unless you assume that 90% of the population never goes to those mass meetings at the church or restaurant or school and just stay in their homes, ration their supplies and ignore Big Jim and Julia and the rest. Which probably makes them the smart ones.

That's the thing that bugs me the most -- how is that anyone shows up for these big town hall style meetings anymore ?  

Cell phones don't work.

Landlines don't work

Radio station burnt to the ground.

Police radios do work, but there are limited numbers of them.

How would they (townsfolk) even find out that anything was going on ?  People would literally have to go door to door to spread the news for things.

The Hanging.  The Food Drive.  The Fight Club.  Angie's Funeral. Barbie's Memorial at the Diner.

And with the nearly exhausted supply of gasoline, they would have to walk everywhere.  It makes no sense at all, but we'll just add it to the long list of things about this show.

Unless you just assume that 90% of the town froze to death during the cold snap, in which case, problem solved.