Type keyword(s) to search

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ok, this show has gotten so milquetoast that there are no comments on particular episodes but I did want to say that I originally thought I was going to root for Elham who was first introduced yesterday. She is an accomplished lady and has a vibrant personality. Then my bubble burst when she told the outrageous story that she was grabbed around the neck (and shoulder?) by a baboon at a zoo when she ducked under the guardrail at her sister's prodding to get a better pic with the animal. You stupid, ridiculous person. As Chris wryly said "I guess guardrails are there for a reason."

Yuck.  This show is so bad.  

Chris Harrison the worst choice for a host.

The contestants seem like they are all trying too hard to be funny.

The low money questions are so easy it is laughable.

Take this mess off the air.

Yes, cinsays, it is a mess! They really screwed up with the rule changes and not scrambling dollar amounts and questions. You know that the first five questions are pretty much slam dunks. I liked it when you didn't know what amount you are jumping over. And I think the contestants try SO hard to be funny because Chris has no personality. I have been a devoted fan from day one with obnoxious Regis but would not mind if this is cancelled when Chris' contract is up.

I cannot believe that neither today's contestant nor his plus one had heard of the Snake River. After that, I was so rooting for him to leave. Geography is a major weakness of mine and even I knew that one! And color me surprised, but Chris showed a glimmer of personality today! He was almost cute! Maybe he is finally loosening up!

Ugh......first college student week, then this......a returning contestant, Justin Peters, who, praise the Lord, guessed wrong on the $100K question.  A strange bird indeed.  And, why get a second chance when I would imagine there are many people who could use some money.

Have I already said I hate this version of the show?!

• Love 1

I hated, hated second chance week but the week that has been the most excruciating for me was Bachelor/Bachelorette week. Oh my gosh! I had to mute and fast forward to get to the questions. i wish someone would be humane and put this show out of its misery.

Yuck.......so this week is "viewers' favorites" week, with couples from the Bachelor/Bachelorette seasons playing for their favorite charities (and just to be seen on tv).

Leading the pack? who else but Sean and Catherine, who seem to want to be on everything, will probably be in one of those commercials for the K-Y stuff to make your sexy get-togethers more pleasurable.

They were not horrible, not dumb, but then when they were up at $30K (i think), Sean had to take a guess when he really just did not know the answer and they lost and ended up with only $5K.

The person who was their plus 1, someone from the charity, was trying to get them to consider the money they'd lose, but they didn't seem to care.  They had achieved their mission of being seen once again by the zillions who watch this crapfest.

I stopped watching this not long after Regis left (love Meredith but hated the way she always made them think it was the wrong answer).  I tried again at Terry Crews but I couldn't stand the dancing around and the screaming.  I seem to be in the minority, but I have started watching again because of Chris.  He seems so personable and normal. Maybe I like the fact that he's a Texas boy.  The day they had the preacher father and the son in the wheelchair cemented my appreciation of Chris.  He was just so nice and positive to both of them. I have no idea how scripted the show is, but he seems to  be a host that actually listens to what they say and he teases in a fun way.   I agree the first 5 questions are crazy easy, but at least they get to leave with something. It's just fun for me, nothing too serious...

I'm back watching this show too. I couldn't stand the manic Terry. Chris is a good host.

• Love 1

I stopped watching when Meredith left.  I tried both hosts who came after her and couldn't stand them.   Then I read that Chris Harrison was going to host and I thought, well, that will be a disaster, but I gave it a try anyway.  He was stiff the first week or so,  but then he started to relax and now Chris and WWTBAM  have entered my list of must-see television.   He is a very engaging fellow and treats all the contestants quite well.   I DVR the show and watch it right after Jeopardy every night.  He is a great host.  I learn a lot about each contestant and he puts them at ease with his easy conversation and he looks genuinely happy when someone does well.   

Still not liking Harrison, but probably because of his hosting the fake match-making shows........

So this week they have people who have already won money on this show back to try again.  Why?  Aren't there enough people who apply that have not been on, not won anything, that they have to bring back people who have already profited from this show?

Especially the ones they chose to have.  Yuck.  Smarmy guys and hefty gals who think they are clever and cute.  Note......old, out of shape, unattractive guys do NOT look better with straggly long pony tails...

OK, I feel better......

Don't know if anyone is still watching this show but me, but I have actually thawed a little regarding Chris as host. He is doing better, not great, but passable. But this week....UGH UGH UGH! Yet another Bachelor/Bachelorette week. Shit, I didn't watch them on their own original shows, and I sure don't want to watch them and their vapid, inane responses. I hope the chick who returns tomorrow twists her ankle on those shoes she's wearing. She can barely hobble around but, ooh, they look so sexy, so she will have to carefully navigate each step she takes.

Edited by Spunkygal

Don't know if anyone is still watching this show but me, but I have actually thawed a little regarding Chris as host. He is doing better, not great, but passable. But this week....UGH UGH UGH! Yet another Bachelor/Bachelorette week. Shit, I didn't watch them on their own original shows, and I sure don't want to watch them and their vapid, inane responses. I hope the chick who returns tomorrow twists her ankle on those shoes she's wearing. She can barely hobble around but, ooh, they look so sexy, so she will have to carefully navigate each step she takes.

Haha - she is gorgeous and should be the host. I would watch just to see her - makes this show and that sleezy bachelor show look so so so much better !! Yay you rock Courtney !!! 

So glad my feeble brain still remembers a few things. One of today's questions involved shenanigans that happens to the car in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and the question referred to it as a Corvette. Ha! I would have said none of the above to the possible answers because it was a Ferrari! Be more aware, question writers!!

On another note, I am warming up to Chris as host, which surprises me.

• Love 1

On another note, I am warming up to Chris as host, which surprises me.

Since I hate anything and everything having to do with The Bachelor, I'm surprised to agree.

• Love 1

He did not get the $500,000 question but happily walked with the $250,000. However, if he had guessed, he would have gotten it right! I liked him so much and was so rooting for him. There has been a long dry spell of no millionaires and TPTB need to throw us a bone. Sorry, but I cannot recall the question but I am sure it is out there somewhere. Tvaddict, are we the only two still watching this show?

45 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Tvaddict, are we the only two still watching this show?

I record it every day, but today was preempted by the NJ train crash coverage, so I couldn't see it.

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

The season's only about a month old---why are we getting reruns this week?

I get two episodes a day. The first is at 5 pm and is a rerun. The second at 6:30 pm is the new episode. So check the listings of the channel that it is aired on in your area!

Edited by Spunkygal

It seems when you get a double run, at the beginning of the season, they're both new. Then after a few weeks , one stays new and one becomes a rerun slot.

Edited by opus

Wow, I haven seen Wayne Newton in ages and had not fully realized how much plastic surgery he has had done. And he wasn't looking bad or old when he started having all that. Cold hearted Spunkygal actually felt sorry for him. It was not the best "update" I have seen. You'd think with all his millions he could have gotten a better surgeon than that. But he still enjoys performing and won some money for the USO, so good for him. 

Because I am petty, I have to point out that yesterday's contestant, Alex, was wrong when he said Sandra Day O'Connor joined Ruth Bader Ginsberg on the Supreme Court. No, honey, it's the other way around. SDO was the first female SC justice. But he did answer the question correctly regarding the years that RBG was the only female justice after SDO retired, so that's all that matters. It just makes me feel good when I know something they don't! I am surprised how Chris has really grown on me as host. He's much better than Terry was, IMO.

On 2/17/2017 at 4:14 PM, Superpole2000 said:

Please stop encouraging the contestants to talk their way through the ridiculously easy questions. It's excruciating! "Well I know Donald Duck isn't on Mount Rushmore because he was never president, so it's not C..." STOP IT!

I don't understand that logic. That is just opening a can of worms when you talk your way out of an answer, but you decide to ask the audience. Such a eye roll at that. The new season started and this woman never got pass $5000. You could have said wow....is she that dumb? Can't believe naivety plays a huge role on this show. For goodness sakes, that is why we have working brains.

• Love 1
On 9/17/2018 at 4:12 PM, Robert Lynch said:

is she that dumb? Can't believe naivety plays a huge role on this show. For goodness sakes, that is why we have working brains.

I've seen it happen a couple of times. Once, a guy had to figure out where you could check out kitchens and get meatballs: London, Paris, Rome, IKEA. He chose Rome (instead of IKEA).

I think Chris is a very enjoyable host, too. Much better than Meredith or Terry. I couldn't stand those two. I think the show suffered from the move from New York to Las Vegas. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Another thing is the number of contestants from that area or those close to the vicinity. I might see a couple of east coasters here and there, but that is one in a million shot if any at all. It sucks it is so far away by flight. 

According to a user on another game show forum, this is why it got cancelled:

Lower ratings in recent years, and a lot of ABC stations that were carrying Millionaire committing to a new talk show hosted by Tamron Hall. Eugene Byon said on Twitter that his show will be the third to the last show of the season and will air(Second Chance week) on May 29th, so the last first-run episode is May 31st.

1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

According to a user on another game show forum, this is why it got cancelled:

Lower ratings in recent years, and a lot of ABC stations that were carrying Millionaire committing to a new talk show hosted by Tamron Hall. Eugene Byon said on Twitter that his show will be the third to the last show of the season and will air(Second Chance week) on May 29th, so the last first-run episode is May 31st.

It wasn’t the same when Regis and Meredith left. I think the constant change of rules and the lack of excitement killed this show. There were only two millionaires that won. I figured it was doomed when it moved to Vegas. Turns out I was right.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was disappointed when I learned that this was cancelled. I enjoy watching it and playing along. I do think it hurt that no one won the million or even got to the question under Chris. I liked him as a host and it would have been interesting to see how it went. I think the further-est anyone got on his version was the half-million question.

Edited by blueray
On 5/24/2019 at 7:23 AM, blueray said:

I was disappointed when I learned that this was cancelled. I enjoy watching it and playing along. I do think it hurt that no one won the million or even got to the question under Chris. I liked him as a host and it would have been interesting to see how it went. I think the further-est anyone got on his version was the half-million question.

I really wanted it to continue, too. I think the final straw was the move from New York to Vegas. Not to mention James on Jeopardy killing them in the ratings.

I'd like to see it return, but they'd have to do a better job weeding out the terrible contestants. Back in the day you could just see Regis getting annoyed as hell, but struggling not to show it, by one contestant after another struggling over really pretty easy questions.

• Love 1

No it won't be.  

First the changes to the game show during its 8 installment run

Celebrities playing on "Millionaire" can invite a guest to help them answer questions. It could be a relative, a beloved teacher or a famed trivia expert - anyone they want - to help them win as much money as they can for the charity of their choice. Additionally, this special run of shows will be introducing a new lifeline, Ask the Host, and a revolutionary, live, play-along app which will allow America to compete to win the same amount of money that celebrities are playing for on the show.

Celebrity guests include Will Forte, Nikki Glaser, Dr. Phil, Jane Fonda, Anderson Cooper, and Eric Stonestreet, among others.millionairekimmel.thumb.jpg.b1153e9355cf448712669cb81612e5b6.jpg

The primetime reboot is a great return to original format, or as close as we can get the way the world is in 2020. Much better than the mess that was the daytime version in recent years, hopefully this does well so it will be brought back with non celebrities once the world is functioning again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Was this just filmed during the first two weeks of March? They don’t have an audience and didn’t shake hands. 

These questions were way easier than the original with Regis. I knew every single answer almost immediately. 

• Love 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Was this just filmed during the first two weeks of March? They don’t have an audience and didn’t shake hands. 

It was filmed March 12. That was the night Mayor Pete hosted for Jimmy while Jimmy was taping WWTBAM.

Eric Stonestreet about drove me crazy with his waffling over such easy questions, like he knew for sure which two-state word was wrong, yet he used a lifeline because he wanted to win sure money for his sister's charity. Holy cats, the man's net worth is $53 MILLION, it would have been easy for him to pull $32,000 out of his wallet to give to sis.

I'm hoping one of the celebs say, at the end, "I will match that contribution to my charity. Here's my check, ABC."

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It was filmed March 12. That was the night Mayor Pete hosted for Jimmy while Jimmy was taping WWTBAM.

Eric Stonestreet about drove me crazy with his waffling over such easy questions, like he knew for sure which two-state word was wrong, yet he used a lifeline because he wanted to win sure money for his sister's charity. Holy cats, the man's net worth is $53 MILLION, it would have been easy for him to pull $32,000 out of his wallet to give to sis.

I'm hoping one of the celebs say, at the end, "I will match that contribution to my charity. Here's my check, ABC."

Oh, my! I just roll my eyes when they pull that stuff. Dude, you have money. And they go on about that this is the charity's money and I don't want to lose the bank, etc. This stuff makes me shake my head a lot. A million to them is just a drop of the bucket. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Ah, I knew it! That was right before things went completely crazy in NYC. A couple days later and they probably would have had to halt production. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Ah, I knew it! That was right before things went completely crazy in NYC. A couple days later and they probably would have had to halt production. 

Jimmy had already started the elbow bump to replace shaking hands on his show, but March 12, the night Pete Buttigieg hosted his show, was the first Kimmel show without an audience. Crew members made up the audience that night just as crew is making up the audience on WWTBAM. I felt sorry for Pete with no audience, but the crew and staff did a great job as pseudo audience members.

You are correct that they got the taping in just under the wire. And whew, I'm glad they did.

• Love 2

So they did finish recording episodes? I just watched the first one with the guy from Modern Family. It was a bit different but mostly because of the lack of audience. I wasn't sure how asking Jimmy was going to work as wouldn't he already have the answer? But then they claimed that he doesn't. Either way it was entertaining. Hopefully they did finish recording as the other guy was in the middle of his run.

Jimmy said he doesn't know the answers until it pops up on his screen.

Eric could have saved time by phrasing the question, “which one of these won the best picture Oscar?...”

Since this is only 6 episodes, I’ll assume they filmed this all in one day.

Of course the celebrities can just write the check for their charities. What they are doing is bringing awareness to them.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 3