Type keyword(s) to search

The Late Late Show With James Corden - General Discussion

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

wow, i guess this show isn't very popular. i don't watch either but tuned in last night to see cher and snark . so if anyone saw it, what did you think? i think she looks 100% plastic and robotic, she can hardly move, her face or body. good grief, you have to feel sorry for women who are almost 80 and refuse to stop looking like they are under 30. she never seems very likable to me.

Did I miss something yesterday? They were talking to Cher and the other woman (sorry, forget the name), they showed a clip from Mamma Mia, then there was a long run of commercials and then a taped piece with the English soccer team. Did they ever say goodbye to the guests?

On 6/20/2018 at 12:44 PM, opus said:

Did I miss something yesterday? They were talking to Cher and the other woman (sorry, forget the name), they showed a clip from Mamma Mia, then there was a long run of commercials and then a taped piece with the English soccer team. Did they ever say goodbye to the guests?

I'm not sure if they did or didn't. I noticed how short the interview portion with Cher and Phoebe Waller-Bridge was though.

This show has been changing in a way that's hard to describe in words for awhile now. At first I thought that it might just be me and that the changes I thought I was seeing were due to me kind of loosing interest unless someone I wanted to see was going to be on. I came across this article yesterday saying a former female a co-executive producer on the show named Amy Ozols left in January to take the head writer position at NBC’s “Tonight Show.” Apparently she was passed over at NBC when Fallon got moved up to the "Tonight Show" gig even though she had a long working history with him.

Now I'm wondering if her departure has caused a shift behind the scenes on this show and that's why it's seemed different? There are times like during the Carpool Karaoke with Paul McCartney   where there are glimpses of the James that I think we saw more of before he and the show got more popular. Not sure if there's something ongoing on BTS, with James personally or something else but there are times I've found myself wondering about it all while watching the show.

• Love 3

I kept seeing the Paul McCartney Carpool Karaoke being shared and resisted watching it at first because James Is A Lot to Take, but I finally caved and am really glad I did. It's incredibly sweet and I think them being in Liverpool and Paul McCartney being a goddamned gem has a lot to do with it.

• Love 9

that was fantastic. i am going to keep my recording. so wonderful to see paul and all have him talk about the places they went to. and the band at the pub. my first crush. beautifully done. maybe james should just have a carpool karaoke show. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

I kept seeing the Paul McCartney Carpool Karaoke being shared and resisted watching it at first because James Is A Lot to Take, but I finally caved and am really glad I did. It's incredibly sweet and I think them being in Liverpool and Paul McCartney being a goddamned gem has a lot to do with it.

It's absolutely fantastic isn't it?  Paul McCartney is so down to earth and gracious.  I loved too that James Corden could barely believe that this was happening.  I'm sure he will never forget this day.  Nor will any of the regular Liverpudlians who happened to be in the right place at the right time.  Magic.

• Love 7
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, hendersonrocks said:

I've watched it three times and I've cried - starting about two thirds in - each and every time. What is wrong with me?

Yes, oh boy - James can be a lot to take.  I treat his show like a YouTube buffet, if I see a guest I really like as either an interview or a Car Pool spot.  I don't think my TV has actually ever been turned directly to his show. Yet I still feel like I've seen ever so much of him. 

• Love 1
On 6/24/2018 at 1:04 PM, amaranta said:

I've watched it three times and I've cried - starting about two thirds in - each and every time. What is wrong with me?

Yes, oh boy - James can be a lot to take.  I treat his show like a YouTube buffet, if I see a guest I really like as either an interview or a Car Pool spot.  I don't think my TV has actually ever been turned directly to his show. Yet I still feel like I've seen ever so much of him. 

Same. 

Since I follow UK media and shows, I've known James since before his current talk show. For years he use to (and still does) host a sport comedy panel show in the UK called "A League of their own". It's fun and James's energy fits with the show, but I've never been able to turn on his Late Late Show. I don't like his interviewing style which isn't so much a style as him taking the Graham Norton format to the US, but he doesn't have Graham's ease. I'll watch YT clips with guests I like here and there, but not as much as other talk shows like Seth Meyer or Colbert. 

Funnily enough, my friend tried us to get us for a taping last month in LA when we had run through all our other options (no Conan, Ellen, etc.) and we got General Audience. We waited for almost an hour before they closed the line about 15 people ahead of us. If you ever do want to go to a taping, they have a semi-strict dress code and for special events, they disallow mobile phones. They overbooked the General Audience too because there were 50+ people behind us waiting to get in as well. 

• Love 1

I am not a Corden fan because like many of you I find him a bit much but I'm a massive Beatles fan so I needed to see the Macca Caproof Karaoke and it did not disappoint. I knew the stories from all the books I read but they were magical coming from the man himself. They could have done a whole show! (Strawberry Fields, the church fair where he met John, the Liverpool Institute where he and George went to school, etc.) The nicest moment was when Corden was genuinely choking up wishing his late father could see this and Paul said quietly and warmly, he is. 

Also cool to see so many young fans!

• Love 6
(edited)

Have they ever done this bit:

James: Reggie, do you have a question for any of our guests?

Reggie: No, not really.

James: Please thank our wonderful guests.......

Edited by opus
On 6/22/2018 at 6:04 AM, Jaded said:

This show has been changing in a way that's hard to describe in words for awhile now. At first I thought that it might just be me and that the changes I thought I was seeing were due to me kind of loosing interest 

I cant even put my finger on what has changed., but you're right, it has.

No matter what segment is on I think its scripted. For example, Spill Your Guts Fill Your Guts, seems totally scripted. Every silly segment and my mind goes to SCRIPTED !  And, he needs to stop yelling.

I already question why anyone watches this show, other than the occasional Carpool Karaoke, but it periodically shows up in my YouTube recommendations, so I still see bits and pieces of it if I'm bored and watching ALL the Late Night hosts take on a specific day's news.

I was quite unsurprised to come here and find out that it, as a major network talkshow, hadn't had anyone post about it in almost a year.  TOTALLY unsurpirised.

My question is, if the show is already fairly irrelevant and annoying, what the addition of Ian Karmel is supposed to be bringing?  I know he's worked as a writer for the show for some time, but as a constant onscreen presence now (at least in the clips I've seen for the past few months) he's basically like James' American Just As Boring Cousin. 

Yawn.

Edited by Kromm

I just watched a 60 Minutes story about Corden and the show.  If I hadn't ever watched it, I'd think it was the most marvelous show ever produced and that James was a comic genius.  Alas... I have watched the show.  It's not, and he's not. 

The interview was kinda fun though.  I give all credit to Bill Whitaker and 60 Minutes. 

• LOL 2

I’ve recently been binging older YT clips.  I love his rendition of “Maybe I’m Immune,” and I got a kick out of a bit he did two years ago, when he mentioned that Texas Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus had adopted “Baby Shark” as his walk-up song, and his prediction that by the end of the game, the umpire would be singing “That’s a strike, do-do-do-do-do-do...”

• Love 1

I just watched the Prince Harry segment, with just a few seconds of Meghan in it, and sadly concluded on the spot that the racist, disgusting British press would already this morning be complaining about how undignified they felt it was, and how Harry never would have done anything like this before the evil manipulative Black woman twisted him around and ruined him. 

Lo and behold, you can YouTube search the British morning shows and see that's pretty much exactly what happened. They'll never admit to their true motivations, and insist the press was perfectly nice to Meghan, and she was the one who ruined the relationship. 

For example:

Or even from before the Corden segment, from the other day, when someone confronts the disgusting Piers Morgan about this (he's long had it out for Meghan because she refused to date him), you can see him just pull this bullshit where he insists his attitude has nothing to do with her: 

• Love 2

Good grief, that's foul. On the very, very distant chance all of Charles, William, George, Charlotte and Louis should all die, most likely they would dissolve the monarchy, or if not, Harry could choose not to take it up and leave it to Andrew. (Or take it to save the country from Andrew) Good for Dr. Sho-G. for calling them out on the hypocrisy. I couldn't listen to it all.

The first clip is pretty bad too. There is a ton of data showing that Kate and Meghan were treated differently.

• Love 2

I mean, Harry dressed as a Nazi to be funny, used a slur multiple times but yeah, poor him. Gotta be nice that despite not wanting attention they don’t seem to be turning away any interview. Then again it’s only slightly better than asking the head of Disney to give your wife a job (and the fall out that followed).

• Like 1

I hadn’t even noticed yesterday that all the news stories were of the generic variety and that this week was done before this week till I had on a soccer game from London today and they kept showing David Beckham in the crowd and sitting next to him was Ed Sheeran.

James Corden Leaving ‘The Late Late Show’ In 2023 (Deadline)

James Corden is preparing to say his goodbyes to The Late Late Show.

The Brit has extended his contract for the CBS late-night series for one year and will depart ahead of summer 2023.

Corden will have hosted The Late Late Show for eight and a half years by the time he departs – a major achievement.

“It’s been it’s a really hard decision to leave because I’m so immensely proud of the show. I’m thrilled to be extending [for a year],” Corden told Deadline. “I always thought I’d do it for five years and then leave and then I stayed on. I’ve really been thinking about it for a long time, thinking whether there might be one more adventure.”

Deep in the article it states that Corden informed the show's staff of his decision earlier in the day.

• Useful 1

It will be interesting to see who CBS can scrape up to host the LLS.  My opinion is they hit the bottom of the barrel with Corden, particularly after the one and only Craigie Fergie skedaddled out of there.

I suspect it will be someone not particularly well known (gotta keep those talent fees low) and more like Jimmy Fallon (a man-puppy hybrid who hosts a children's birthday party at 11:35p) than Seth Meyers, who has the late night smart and sassy well covered.

In any event, the only thing I'll miss about the program is Reggie Watts.

1 hour ago, kib said:

It will be interesting to see who CBS can scrape up to host the LLS.  My opinion is they hit the bottom of the barrel with Corden, particularly after the one and only Craigie Fergie skedaddled out of there.

I suspect it will be someone not particularly well known (gotta keep those talent fees low) and more like Jimmy Fallon (a man-puppy hybrid who hosts a children's birthday party at 11:35p) than Seth Meyers, who has the late night smart and sassy well covered.

In any event, the only thing I'll miss about the program is Reggie Watts.

Well, I mean, I had never heard of Trevor Noah before he was tapped for The Daily Show, so there may be more in that barrel than we realize.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1