Type keyword(s) to search

The Late Late Show With James Corden - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Kromm said:

The producers claim they don't shoot these on a trailer, and I suppose I believe them, but man.... shooting not only with his hands not on the wheel half the time, PLUS with his attention that split is a much worse idea in Manhattan than in L.A., where you can find much more deserted areas. 

They have to have some procautions at the very least a lead car and follow car to keep distance from others. He does stop often too.

I'm not sure what car they're in, but maybe it also has some of "driver assist" and "self-driving" features? I have a mini obsession with self-driving cars, and from what I gather, there's more and more features like that being introduced to newer vehicles. Some of the ones in development don't even have a steering wheel at all; the ones currently on the road do have one, even though you don't technically need to keep your hands on it all the time.

When they do this in LA do they actually drive somewhere? Because he was definitely going in circles in this. Not that that's the point, but I'm genuinely curious!

I kinda want Jane to play Eponine for real now.

(edited)

Oh, yes: The Red Hot Chili Peppers did a Carpool Karaoke.

Why is that so significant?

Because Flea and Anthony Kiedis met in 1977 at age 15 two blocks north of where James Corden's Late Late Show tapes, at Fairfax High School. (The original four Red Hot Chili Peppers, including the late guitarist Hillel Slovak and drummer Jack Irons all attended Fairfax together.)

I read Kiedis' biography and they used to wreak havoc in that neighborhood as teenagers. So it's gonna be pretty special, hopefully.

WQPszSs.png

VF1GjWU.png

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

<somewhat off-topic, but I was lucky enough to see Hamilton last night. It changed me irrevocably. It was breathtaking.  If it tours near you and you can go, please do. I spent a mortgage payment on a ticket, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.>

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, paigow said:

Hope it wasn't last balcony row for that price...

center orchestra Row P! not a bad seat in the place. (except maybe that last row of the second mezzanine!)

On 6/8/2016 at 10:46 PM, adam807 said:

When they do this in LA do they actually drive somewhere? Because he was definitely going in circles in this. Not that that's the point, but I'm genuinely curious!

They do seem to cover more ground in LA.  They almost always end at the studio, and usually start somewhere residential. They often stop off at random spots along the way.

I'm amazed he was able to drive in New York (or LA, really) and sing like this at the same time. It's like an accident waiting to happen!

(edited)

Let me Zapruder this for ya!

Someone in another thread wondered if they drive in circles. Yes, they do!

But James Corden had a 60- to 90-minute interview last week with Howard Stern. If you can find it, I urge you to listen. He goes into detail about how he tapes this. Like, yes, they have a ton of footage. He also came off really great. I mean, I had a whole new appreciation for him.

Anyways, as I mentioned above, Flea and Anthony Kiedis met at age 15 at Fairfax High School near Corden's studio.

The red represents CBS Television City, home to The Late Late Show (and Dancing with the Stars, The Price is Right, Bill Maher and, until last month, American Idol.

The blue represents Fairfax High.

dAx99Tt.png

1. The video begins farther east down Melrose, driving past the Groundlings where RHCP's drummer's doppelganger Will Ferrell got his start.

2k3QNAh.png

2. At 3:30, I can see Fairfax High, which is front-facing Melrose, in the background. You can see Fairfax's red fences in the background.

4Z3JQnd.png

4501_0_344_0_0.jpg

3. At 8:30, they are traveling down Melrose about 4-5 blocks East of Fairfax High.

Lz4l40F.png

4. At 9:54, they are traveling northbound up Fairfax and *away* from Corden's studio. (The "4" should be 2 blocks down. I made a mistake.) Yup, they aren't really doing a carpool to work thing.

Kwa3KeE.png

5. At 9:37, (seconds before "4") they are in front of Fairfax High again (you can see the red fences in the background) singing another song.

8CvWC43.png

The wrestling, I think took place on Highland Avenue, which is a semi-busy street in a residential area about 1 mile east of Fairfax.

Another fun fact: The RHCP's 1987 music video Fight Like a Brave was filmed on Melrose (using green-screen?).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4thl_red-hot-chili-peppers-fight-like-a_music

cwwa8SJ.png

Edited by nowandlater
On June 13, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Skittl1321 said:

They do seem to cover more ground in LA.  They almost always end at the studio, and usually start somewhere residential. They often stop off at random spots along the way.

I'm amazed he was able to drive in New York (or LA, really) and sing like this at the same time. It's like an accident waiting to happen!

All has been answered! http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/06/16/an_assessment_of_james_corden_s_driving_on_carpool_karaoke.html

(edited)
On 3/29/2016 at 3:14 PM, nowandlater said:

Somebody tweeted a harsh article about James, and I responded to it in a semi-negative but mostly neutral way..... and within hours James himself DM'd me to defend himself, which was weird.

Oh, by the way, here's the article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/is-there-anything-worse-than-taking-a-karaoke-ride-with-james-corden/2016/03/28/170eb7de-f2c4-11e5-a61f-e9c95c06edca_story.html

A couple of things. Thank you for the link to this article. Interesting that Corden would reach out to you directly to defend himself.

About his show - I get the feeling that the writer of the article was a Ferguson fan like myself. I have watched James' show often but most of the time I switch channels when the guests come on if not sooner. There is something about that much high energy at 1 o'clock in the morning that I don't need. Craig's humor and his interaction with Josh Robert Thompson "Geoff"was witty, very smart, and sneakilly subversive. To be honest with you, I go over to youtube and periodically watch clips from Craig's show. The clip that introduced Josh's "I have a place there" routine where Craig laughs so hard that he cries is TV gold. People couldn't believe that their interplay was all adlibbed. It was.

I read a number of forums and posts here and there and I see that Josh seems to be having a tough time breaking through to something for himself. It is confusing to me how so many semi and untalented people get star making opportunities. Josh is definitely missed by me and I wish he would land somewhere promising. And, no, I'm not his mom posting here :)

James surely does try very hard. I don't think that part is an act. Maybe it's the way he tries really hard that I just don't appreciate like others do.

Edited by maryis1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, maryis1 said:

About his show - I get the feeling that the writer of the article was a Ferguson fan like myself. I have watched James' show often but most of the time I switch channels when the guests come on if not sooner. There is something about that much high energy at 1 o'clock in the morning that I don't need. Craig's humor and his interaction with Josh Robert Thompson "Geoff"was witty, very smart, and sneakilly subversive. To be honest with you, I go over to youtube and periodically watch clips from Craig's show. The clip that introduced Josh's "I have a place there" routine where Craig laughs so hard that he cries is TV gold. People couldn't believe that their interplay was all adlibbed. It was.

I read a number of forums and posts here and there and I see that Josh seems to be having a tough time breaking through to something for himself. It is confusing to me how so many semi and untalented people get star making opportunities. Josh is definitely missed by me and I wish he would land somewhere promising. And, no, I'm not his mom posting here :)

I've followed JRT on Facebook since before Ferguson's Late Late Show ended and I hate how frustrated he seems while pretending things are ok for him. For awhile after the show ended he'd have the occasional freak out which he'd end up deleting because people wouldn't quit inquiring about "Geoff" and nothing else. He answers questions about "Geoff" now when he does Facebook live posts and etc. while not seeming as bothered by it. He's also said he hasn't been invited to be on either of Craig's shows be it Celebrity Name Game or Join or Die on the History Network and that it doesn't bother him. His eyes always seems to have this twinge of sadness though when he talks about what he's trying to get going.

(edited)
8 hours ago, Jaded said:

I've followed JRT on Facebook since before Ferguson's Late Late Show ended and I hate how frustrated he seems while pretending things are ok for him. For awhile after the show ended he'd have the occasional freak out which he'd end up deleting because people wouldn't quit inquiring about "Geoff" and nothing else. He answers questions about "Geoff" now when he does Facebook live posts and etc. while not seeming as bothered by it. He's also said he hasn't been invited to be on either of Craig's shows be it Celebrity Name Game or Join or Die on the History Network and that it doesn't bother him. His eyes always seems to have this twinge of sadness though when he talks about what he's trying to get going.

Besides Facebook have you listened to the multiple attempts (including an entire "reboot" where he removed all his old episodes and started with fresh ones) of his Podcast?  It's kind of sad. It's... funny I guess... because he's still good at funny voices. But it's also very limited in it's subject matter and dips into questionable stereotypes and cheap humor a lot too.  His problem is that he needs writers and his own comedic instincts aren't as good as what was being fed to him before by a whole staff of those. 

Here's the latest attempt (on Soundcloud, but it's also on iTunes as well)--note this interface popping up (which I was surprised to see works as more than just a link on this board, includes multiple episodes you can pick from the bottom):

Edited by Kromm
On 7/3/2016 at 8:40 AM, Jaded said:

Thank you for your posting this. I have followed JRT for a long long time on facebook, like you, before the show ended.

And I really totally agree with you regarding the sadness and the seemingly lost look and words. I'm older than his mom I believe and when I would read his stuff on Facebook, I just felt so bad for him in a motherly way. He invested all that money in making a pilot for a show but from my limited experience in the media, I know that to do something like that nowadays in a shot in the dark for just about anyone.

I sincerely hope that he gets a break. He surely isn't sitting on his butt and appears to be doing voice over work etc. I just hope that break comes for him. And I would really love it if James Corden would invite him to be on the show. There are a lot of people who would really enjoy seeing him again.

On 7/3/2016 at 4:51 PM, Kromm said:

Besides Facebook have you listened to the multiple attempts (including an entire "reboot" where he removed all his old episodes and started with fresh ones) of his Podcast?  It's kind of sad. It's... funny I guess... because he's still good at funny voices. But it's also very limited in it's subject matter and dips into questionable stereotypes and cheap humor a lot too.  His problem is that he needs writers and his own comedic instincts aren't as good as what was being fed to him before by a whole staff of those. 

The amazing this is that he didn't use the comedy writers on The Late Late Show. All of the interplay between him and Craig was adlibbed on the spot. I think he works so well when he has someone very bright like Craig to bounce off. JRT has great timing and is quick witted. It just seems like his depression got the better of him. I saw a set that he did, and that someone filmed at some small comedy club. A drunk woman threw a chair at him. It was just so sad and I can only imagine him thinking of how just weeks earlier he was a part of a major network show. And now this... James should really invite him to guest.

(edited)

I obviously wouldn't base my vote on this but the only First Spouse that I could see holding a candle to Michelle in Carpool Karaoke is Bill! And I am looking even past this election and still think it's true!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, AnnieBananie said:

This video makes me so happy. (Must have been a logistical nightmare to put together - the poor things never left the White House grounds!)

They had practice when Obama did Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

(edited)

It's sad to think that in my lifetime, I don't think that we will ever experience this again. I'm not sure if White America can understand how it feels to Black Americans for us to have someone in the White House who can relate to us. Only it's not just Black culture, because Black culture is pop culture. As young as the Trump kids are, I don't see them liking contemporary music. Maybe Ivanka, because I don't think that she believes in the Trump hype. I'm going to miss the Obama's. 

Missy looked like she was CGI'D in the video. Come on, the first Lady knows Get Ur Freak On by Missy Elliott! She can even sing it! 

I could see Bill Clinton doing carpool karaoke. 

Edited by Queena
  • Love 1
On 7/21/2016 at 4:49 AM, biakbiak said:

I obviously wouldn't base my vote on this but the only First Spouse that I could see holding a candle to Michelle in Carpool Karaoke is Bill! And I am looking even past this election and still think it's true!

Oh my God -- now I can't get the image of Bill on Carpool Karaoke out of my head.

(edited)

JRT is doing a FB Live cast right now. The trolls are awful asking if he's depressed in a snarky way, one guy told him he should die and another told him that he's not good enough to play with the "big boys" and should stay away from them. He showed a card that advertised his site and somehow it appeared backwards which was when the guy told him he should die. He later held up some comics he got at Comic-Con which also showed up backwards and some of the trolls really started in again. It's sad the way some people think they have the right to abuse others because it's being done on the internet. One of the saddest things he said was that he gets so angry because he already thinks he's failed at his career and etc. so it doesn't help that people come on to keep telling him things he already knows. 

Edited by Jaded

Ironically, hearing Britney Car Karaoke along to herself is the only time we have any real assurance of hearing her actual live voice (because on her stage show she's totally lipping it only and nothing is going over those mikes during her usual performances).

Also, every time I see her these days it is so weird that as okay as her general appearance is, there really is something about her that at the same time looks so firmly planted in her mid 30s or older (she's actually 34). Nothing wrong with that, I'm just saying there's nothing about her that can pass for younger anymore.

And you can tell that Cordon and his gang were fairly careful to not strain her brain too much with the questions. Britney Am No Genius (even if she claims to have gotten straight As in Bumfuck Middle School, or wherever she went).

Ironically, hearing Britney Car Karaoke along to herself is the only time we have any real assurance of hearing her actual live voice (because on her stage show she's totally lipping it only and nothing is going over those mikes during her usual performances).

Also, every time I see her these days it is so weird that as okay as her general appearance is, there really is something about her that at the same time looks so firmly planted in her mid 30s or older (she's actually 34). Nothing wrong with that, I'm just saying there's nothing about her that can pass for younger anymore.

And you can tell that Cordon and his gang were fairly careful to not strain her brain too much with the questions. Britney Am No Genius (even if she claims to have gotten straight As in Bumfuck Middle School, or wherever she went).

I know the rule around here is Be Civil and I am okay with being banned for this, but...it is really exhausting on Women's Equality Day to read a comment that basically gives this woman permission to look older because she's not 18 anymore, while also saying it's weird to see her that way and that she's a dummy.

To keep this comment on topic: I don't think I've seen anyone on Carpool Karaoke as pissed off about him knowing every nuance of their music. Everyone is usually impressed and she seemed...flummoxed.

• Love 3

During the Spill/Fill your guts segment, Corden chose truth for one question and said he felt he was a better singer than Fallon. I realize he's probably had professional training and has been in musicals, etc., but from what I've seen of him on the show/in the car, his voice is thin and he's off key quite a bit. I think Fallon is a much better natural singer.

Anyway, it seems to be a minor theme among last night hosts, because Colbert also believes his vocal skills are much more nuanced than they are.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, lordonia said:

During the Spill/Fill your guts segment, Corden chose truth for one question and said he felt he was a better singer than Fallon. I realize he's probably had professional training and has been in musicals, etc., but from what I've seen of him on the show/in the car, his voice is thin and he's off key quite a bit. I think Fallon is a much better natural singer.

Anyway, it seems to be a minor theme among last night hosts, because Colbert also believes his vocal skills are much more nuanced than they are.

I think Fallon does have a natural singing voice, but I do feel Corden has a wider range in some ways. I think he can hit notes that Fallon can't and he is more experienced. He is not on key a lot, but it's entertaining enough. I prefer when Corden harmonizes in the car and on the show with guests over Fallon most of the time.

Colbert can sing, but it's an all around skill for him as a performer. I don't think he considers himself better than Corden (who has had more stage training).

• Love 2

Whether he's a better singer or not, I was ok with him saying he was during that bit. It's just posturing. Maybe they are setting up a sing off with him and Fallon.

Has Fallon ever danced? I guess he sort of moves around during the lip sync battles, but I think Fallon's real talent is in the impersonations of other singers.

Jonas looked so uncomfortable with Alan C and JTF.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Whether he's a better singer or not, I was ok with him saying he was during that bit. It's just posturing. Maybe they are setting up a sing off with him and Fallon.

It would be fun for Fallon to audition for The Voice as part of a comedy bit!