Type keyword(s) to search

The Late Late Show With James Corden - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This is the premier week of the brand-new host and they have two repeats? Give me a break.

It's NCAA basketball. All CBS shows are preempted. (Unless you're on the West Coast, then you get a rerun, I believe.)

I guess they targeted this week, so he'd only have to work Sunday through Tuesday, then do Conan on Wednesday, before getting into the grind next week.

Speaking of which, it was weird that he was on Conan his debut week of all weeks. I'd understand him doing Conan before starting his talk show, or weeks after starting it. But on his debut week? Also, he called Conan his hero, then proceeded to tell him that he nad never seen his show before January, when he started reseraching clips of other late-night shows on youtube.

Edited by nowandlater

It's NCAA basketball. All CBS shows are preempted. (Unless you're on the West Coast, then you get a rerun, I believe.)

I'm East Coast. They just put on the Letterman and Corden rerun whenever basketball and the news finally ends.

James Corden was in one of Grace Helbig's videos today, for a bit of cross-promotion between her new show and his.

Sorry, the Jimmy Kimmel bit is better.

What kind of "fat" is Corden?

He seems really atletic, like an American football lineman. He seems to move around a lot.

Yet he's big, but his fat (as shown here) doesn't really seem that fat for his bigness.

Watched the monologue of the second show, where he's going on about the water shortage in California. Pretty serious topic, which made it unfunny and uncomfortable, especially when he was chastising the audience for laughing. Turned the show off and deleted it from the DVR.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the Odenkirk, Claire Danes, Beckham episode. This show is growing on me.

Watched the monologue of the second show, where he's going on about the water shortage in California. Pretty serious topic, which made it unfunny and uncomfortable, especially when he was chastising the audience for laughing. Turned the show off and deleted it from the DVR.

I'm totally affected by the drought, In fact, because of it, our water tastes bad. Yet I found the monologue funny. It's not that serious a topic.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

He has put some variety back in the hour. Let's face it, if you missed an episode of Craig Ferguson, how long had it been when you knew it was monolog, emails/tweets (which inevitably became phone calls and flies), guest, guest, goodnight.

Edited by GaryE

I've still got some reservations.  But I will say that even if there are still doubts about Corden himself, Reggie Watts is kinda killing it as bandleader.

LOVED for example that parting song he did on the Danes/Beckham/Odenkirk episode (which was mostly about Odenkirk).

If we get stuff like that over the end credits every episode?  That's cool.  A reason to watch to the end.

I can't help but compare to Fred Armisen on Late Night.  Reggie is already about 90% better.

I thought it was just me liking Reggie Miller so much. I appreciate the fact that James really is trying though. I like him as of now a lot more then Seth Meyers. 

(edited)

I'm totally affected by the drought, In fact, because of it, our water tastes bad. Yet I found the monologue funny. It's not that serious a topic.

He was joking about his children dying of thirst in a year because there would be no more water, and then asking why people were laughing about it. I think it's a serious topic and not really something joke worthy, but to each his own.

I tried again last night, with the dancing kid. That segment was cute, but I just find Corden awkward. I'm not usually up that late anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1

While the whole bit succeeded in exactly what it wanted to do, I didn't find it all that funny. Especially the way she kept screaming "APRIL FOOOOOOLS!" - that doesn't make it funnier. 

I agree with GaryE though, in that the clip being posted early took any surprise away from it.

It's one thing that kind of annoys me about the show, they are releasing too many clips, too early. Then as soon as the show finishes on the east coast, it's available online almost in full. 

While the whole bit succeeded in exactly what it wanted to do, I didn't find it all that funny. Especially the way she kept screaming "APRIL FOOOOOOLS!" - that doesn't make it funnier. 

I agree with GaryE though, in that the clip being posted early took any surprise away from it.

It's one thing that kind of annoys me about the show, they are releasing too many clips, too early. Then as soon as the show finishes on the east coast, it's available online almost in full. 

The only error in that is the timing.  They simply need to wait 24 hours.

They do need to heavily post online I think, because guys like Fallon and John Oliver are getting and keeping huge followings that way (and Conan has been doing it for years too).  They just need to get the timing right.

The only error in that is the timing.  They simply need to wait 24 hours.

They do need to heavily post online I think, because guys like Fallon and John Oliver are getting and keeping huge followings that way (and Conan has been doing it for years too).  They just need to get the timing right.

Oh, yeah, I agree,. I wasn't suggesting they don't post online, but when practically the whole episode is online as soon as (and sometimes, actually, before) the episode has finished airing, it just feels wrong.

I know/everyone knows the show isn't live, but having everything online so quickly makes it feel like not only isn't it live, but that it was filmed days ago. (which given some of the 'previews' they put up, I feel is actually the case.)

• Love 1

That whirling sound you hear is the corpse of William S. Paley spinning in his grave during the Columbia Broadcasting System's telecast from Tommy's house.  I suppose in some meta context (and a bong hit of northern California's finest weed) it held some entertainment value but so would the look on Les Moonves face as stacks of his company's $100 bills were being burned before a nation's confused eyes under the category of programming.

[Cue Choir] "What did we learn on the show tonight James?"

Tommy is very much a fan of Beck and Australian women are beautiful creatures.

Tiffany Network indeed.

• Love 1

I was ready to turn the channel tonight until Beck came on. He wasn't listed on the guests page and I hadn't looked at any other stuff associated with the show on CBS's site so him being on was a surprise. It seemed like Beck wasn't to thrilled with this "broadcasting from someone's home" idea either though and got out of there as soon as he could. Who could blame him really?!?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they won't be broadcasting from anyone's house again anytime soon.  I think I could see the wind from Beck's swift exit - kind of like Shaggy and Scooby running from the monster.  He may be The Flash in real life.  I did enjoy his performance though.  

• Love 1

I thought it was great. And the reason why is because everyone seemed to be having a good time. Beck always seems aloof to me, and he seemed no different here. But he seemed to enjoy playing hide and seek. Jeff Goldblume might be my favorite talk show guest. And Reggie Is just a ball of energy.

I will say that if someone brought a snake into my house, there would be a me shaped hole in the wall. Big enough for everyone to escape through.

• Love 1

Letterman also did something similar in 1980 for his short-lived morning show. Once he got word of imminent cancellation, Letterman took on a bit of "fuck it" attitude. So he had a write-in contest to have an episode filmed in your living room, and did a show from some guy's house in Cresco, Iowa.

We keep talking about how Corden has borrowed aspects from so many other talk shows, both UK and US (not that that's a bad thing).

All at once guests - Graham Norton

Who's In the Green Room? - Jonathan Ross

Interactive games with the guests - Jimmy Fallon

More things he's borrowed, cited on a post on another board: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77478129&postcount=45

It occurs to me that the use of his relatives (in Corden's case both his parents) is both a Letterman crib, and also a Kimmel one (who if we're being honest just took Letterman's idea and went much further with it).

The episode reminded me of those long gone Late Night w/ David Letterman days, when they did the show from such places as an office, a hotel room, or even an airplane.

I was ready to turn the channel tonight until Beck came on. He wasn't listed on the guests page and I hadn't looked at any other stuff associated with the show on CBS's site so him being on was a surprise. It seemed like Beck wasn't to thrilled with this "broadcasting from someone's home" idea either though and got out of there as soon as he could. Who could blame him really?!?

I think what really triggered the escape was crawling under Tommy's carpet.  He spent an inordinate amount of time dusting off whatever was lurking under the rug after the game of 'hide and seek'. 

The episode reminded me of those long gone Late Night w/ David Letterman days, when they did the show from such places as an office, a hotel room, or even an airplane.

Which is a good thing. The general zaniness reminded me of the old Big Breakfast show that aired every weekday morning on the UK's Channel 4. I loved that old show for its weirdness, and the Tommy House episode of this show really hit the spot for me too. I like less script and more spontaneity in talk shows, and so this made me very happy.

(edited)

re: the weird episode from last week, in someone's house

That Korean woman saying "Nooooooooooo" was pretty damn spontaneously funny if it wasn't planned.  Actually the "an elderly woman lives here" was kind of odd and funny too.  In a way they got some accidental comedy gold right off the bat for very little investment.  Tommy, Luke and Jess, the saucy Aussie lady upped the weird quotient even more.  I mean it was weird that Tommy even HAD a house with such a conveniently big ass living room.

Edited by Kromm

I liked, let's write CW, since I can't spell his name, especially with the bass player.

Edit- ok, I'm awake today and can cut and paste. Christoph Waltz.

Edited by GaryE

Christoph Waltz. Paired with the two sisters. Wow, that was an uncomfortable piece of television. I can only remember one interview that Craig did that was that uncomfortable. It was when Craig interviewed Johnny Galecki and Craig made Galecki VERY uncomfortable with his line of questions. Most of the time I was impressed at how Craig could turn a difficult interview into something worth watching. I hope that James can develop a style that digs out from under and gains control in situations like Christoph and the sisters who he clearly disdained and looked down upon.

Never mind. Looking on YouTube I see who I saw in the commercial and saw the episode she was on. Patricia Arquette's bright blonde hair made her look like Diane Sawyer though when they showed her for only a couple seconds in the commercial I mentioned before and I thought Diane might be going on there to promote her upcoming interview with Bruce Jenner.

Edited by Jaded

We keep talking about how Corden has borrowed aspects from so many other talk shows, both UK and US (not that that's a bad thing).

All at once guests - Graham Norton

Who's In the Green Room? - Jonathan Ross

Interactive games with the guests - Jimmy Fallon

More things he's borrowed, cited on a post on another board: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77478129&postcount=45

It occurs to me that the use of his relatives (in Corden's case both his parents) is both a Letterman crib, and also a Kimmel one (who if we're being honest just took Letterman's idea and went much further with it).

I hope people who make these lists realize that all at once guests and fun and games were not invented by Graham Norton or Jimmy Fallon.  

• Love 1

I hope people who make these lists realize that all at once guests and fun and games were not invented by Graham Norton or Jimmy Fallon.  

Would you be more comfortable with the phrase "popularized by"?

Would you be more comfortable with the phrase "popularized by"?

Just to clarify, I meant the post you linked to, not your post. Sorry.

I wouldn't even say Graham Norton popularized that format - I'm pretty sure quite a few talk shows, especially in the UK, have done that, and I think Johnny Carson used to, although I may be wrong.

Fallon, yes, but even then, Rosie O'Donnell and Ellen Degeneres, among others, did this stuff quite a bit.

I don't think any of the talk shows on now are very original. It's impossible to be original at this point, because there have been so many in 50-60 years of TV. 

There are times when I think one bit is more blatant a borrow than others, but for the most part I think the personalities of the individual hosts make the shows stand or fall on their own.

I wouldn't even say Graham Norton popularized that format - I'm pretty sure quite a few talk shows, especially in the UK, have done that, and I think Johnny Carson used to, although I may be wrong.

Carson, but only on rare occasions in later years, did what the UK's Jonathan Ross now does--invite them out one at a time, but just ask the earlier guest to stay.  I don't think it was ever more than 2 guests at a time though (then again, on the occasions when he had three, the third was often a musician or comedian who wasn't asked to sit down and chat at all).  

I can't say for sure if other UK talk shows before Norton did the all-at-once thing, but from reading UK boards talking about the show I've usually gotten the impression most people there think he was the first (or at least the first of any consequence).

It seems to me that maybe Dick Cavett or Merv Griffin might have sometimes also done multiple guests, but it was still with the host behind his desk (so kind of apart from the guests) and not with that informal cocktail-party vibe of Norton's (in other words it was still more like a formal interview and not a conversation).  Usually they'd all be involved in a common film or other project (which Norton ALSO does occasionally, but as we know he also loves throwing together total strangers as well).

EDIT - I stand corrected on one thing.  Dick Cavett didn't USE a desk.  

http://youtu.be/msN0A6l5yi4

I liked the segue into The Late Late Show with Sting.  Watching the tributes reminded me of things the Late Show left out.  I think it was good show.  I was happy to see Jeffery Dean Morgan again.  I haven't seen him on my TV since 'Magic City' was cancelled.  I glanced at his IMDB page.  I'm glad to see he's been getting work.  I wish he would get a another show I want to watch. 

(edited)

I saw a few moments where he was mocking his current lead-in. Insulting your network, a late night tradition.

Edit-more mocking of the Mentalist tonight.

Edited by GaryE

The fact that he's still using that rolling chair to roll from behind the desk that's not needed over to where he interviews his guests is driving me crazy. Either interview people from behind the desk or get a proper chair.