Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E21: Secrets Revealed

• Start Topic

Really? Worse than telling Shannon that Heather has an eating disorder? Yea, Tamra lied, but she said she tried to call Shannon after she left her house to tell her the truth immediately after. Shannon admits that she refused to take her calls, and Tamra said she tried to call several times. It just boggles my mind that Tamra revealing something that Shannon herself was talking about is worse than revealing something so private about Heather. And then Shannon taking it to the world in her attempt to make Tamra look bad to Heather - fuck Heather and her privacy. It all reminds me so much of the Brandi/Adrienne deal. It seemed to be no big deal what Brandi did to Adrienne, because folks didn't much like Adrienne.  This is all very similar to me. 

You are assuming Heather has an eating disorder.  No where has Heather ever said she has an eating disorder.  I think you have the tail wagging the dog.

I see no correlation between the Brandi/Adrienne situation maybe because I liked Adrienne and Paul and always thought Brandi was out of her league.  There is no big reveal here by Tamra or Shannon-I think Tamra was making a judgment call on Heather's eating habits and body type 

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 1

Just because I am a dork I paused to read all Heather had written

Dear Terry

We got the lot. Those four words changed the course of our lives in many ways.

Buying this parcel of land and creating this amazing home solidifies our lives in Orange County. We owe this project for the many opportunities we've had.

Although we only lived in this home for three years it saw some major life changes for us personally and professionally.

The most significant being the miracle addition to our family. We were so blessed already with our children Nicky, Max and Katarina. Yet how could we ever imagine it without being filled by the laughter of Collette?

Our family was completed in this home. This home was also a key player in our journey back on TV.  The house became a character on its own in many ways.

Interestingly I don't think we ever felt like it was our 'final home' More like a stop along the way.

Beyond all of the bells and whistles, the movie theatre, heated towel drawers and a closet for the TV, this house represent the best of us.

An amazing collaboration of style and spirit. A beautiful backdrop for our amazing lives. We are blessed.

Look through these pages and see what we accomplished together. Remember the journey and be proud.

Can't wait to do it again.

Love Hedy.

Now I am off to puke

No one in their right mind could ever write this and expect not to be taken to task for being the most pretentious person on earth.

I hate to say it but three years in one mansion and two or three years off to build the next-are they forming homes for their family or investment opportunities?  It would not surprise me if when two years of completing mansion #2 they aren't moving on to mansion #3.

• Love 13

You are assuming Heather has an eating disorder.  No where has Heather ever said she has an eating disorder.  I think you have the tail wagging the dog.

I see no correlation between the Brandi/Adrienne situation maybe because I liked Adrienne and Paul and always thought Brandi was out of her league.  There is no big reveal here by Tamra or Shannon-I think Tamra was making a judgment call on Heather's eating habits and stature.

Actually I am just saying that Tamra said something terrible about Heather that might or might not be true, kind of like saying that Shannon has a drinking problem. That it was a mean thing for her to say about someone that is her friend. I will assume, as Shannon seems like a nice person, that Tamra wasn't just throwing it out casually since Shannon felt it serious enough to warn Heather about it on TV. I dislike Tamra as much as most everyone else, and will now give up trying to convince anyone that Tamra was wrong to say such a thing. It sounds like the one thing Tamra did that only rankles me, so I must be crazy.

• Love 2

If you want to see another example of Tamra's true colors, watch very closely in the very last scene when the ladies were having dinner in Bali. Everyone was screaming about the Gecko, Vicki accidentally bumps Tamra and Tarmra yells at Vicki "GOD DAMN YOU". It was in such an angry angry tone. It was an accident you vile witch.

I couldn't help notice that once again, these rubes were all grossed out andgruntinv about eating roast duck.
  • Love 12

I couldn't help notice that once again, these rubes were all grossed out andgruntinv about eating roast duck.

For the love of God, don't these people ever leave the OC for some interesting food? They always seem so stunned by anything that isn't salmon or steak (poor Terry didn't even seem to recognize salmon when he was eating it). Get over to BH and let Wolfgang whip you up something at Spago ladies.

• Love 9

Dear Terry

Buying this parcel of land and creating this amazing home solidifies our lives in Orange County. We owe this project for the many opportunities we've had.

Although we only lived in this home for three years it saw some major life changes for us personally and professionally.

The most significant being the miracle addition to our family. We were so blessed already with our children Nicky, Max and Katarina. Yet how could we ever imagine it without being filled by the laughter of Collette?

Our family was completed in this home. This home was also a key player in our journey back on TV.  The house became a character on its own in many ways.

Interestingly I don't think we ever felt like it was our 'final home' More like a stop along the way.

Beyond all of the bells and whistles, the movie theatre, heated towel drawers and a closet for the TV, this house represent the best of us.

An amazing collaboration of style and spirit. A beautiful backdrop for our amazing lives. We are blessed.

Look through these pages and see what we accomplished together. Remember the journey and be proud.

Love Hedy.

Now I am off to puke

Scoot your arse over, CrazyChicken, I need to visit the porcelain altar myself after reading that.

Pretentious doesn't even begin to describe that inscription.  

Thanks for taking one for the team and transcribing that little masterpiece.  

*gag*

For the love of God, don't these people ever leave the OC for some interesting food? They always seem so stunned by anything that isn't salmon or steak (poor Terry didn't even seem to recognize salmon when he was eating it). Get over to BH and let Wolfgang whip you up something at Spago ladies.

They literally gag on things that aren't in their usual repertoire....even worse than I gagged reading Heather's album inscription posted above.

Alexis on foie gras, Vicki on anchovy in her Cesar salad in Mexico...

Yeah, can't take these broads anywhere nice.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 13

Every man I know wears wife-beaters. 

I certainly imagine a wannabe actor would want to wear one on TV, regardless of sexual orientation.

Really? I haven't seen a man in a wife-beater for 15 years. They look like shit.

• Love 2

Dear Terry

An amazing collaboration of style and spiritA. A beautiful backdrop for our amazing lives. We are blessed.

Love Hedy.

Now I am off to puke

For the love God, please tell me you took some artistic license in transcribing this nausea-inducing anthropomorphic ode to a frickin' house----a frickin' house!!!!!

The house should have been the back drop for their lives, but right here, Hedy has given it a starring role in their "return to TV".  If there was any question in my mind that the Dubrows are not fame-whoring, shallow, pretentious, materialistic dweebs, that notion has been obliterated.

• Love 10

Scoot your arse over, CrazyChicken, I need to visit the porcelain altar myself after reading that.

Pretentious doesn't even begin to describe that inscription.  

Thanks for taking one for the team and transcribing that little masterpiece.  

*gag*

They literally gag on things that aren't in their usual repertoire....even worse than I gagged reading Heather's album inscription posted above.

Alexis on foie gras, Vicki on anchovy in her Cesar salad in Mexico...

Yeah, can't take these broads anywhere nice.  

I'm guessing they've never tried or seen Peking Duck at one of the many Chinese restaurants in OC.  Is being insular a prerequisite for being on this show?

• Love 8

Actually I am just saying that Tamra said something terrible about Heather that might or might not be true, kind of like saying that Shannon has a drinking problem. That it was a mean thing for her to say about someone that is her friend. I will assume, as Shannon seems like a nice person, that Tamra wasn't just throwing it out casually since Shannon felt it serious enough to warn Heather about it on TV. I dislike Tamra as much as most everyone else, and will now give up trying to convince anyone that Tamra was wrong to say such a thing. It sounds like the one thing Tamra did that only rankles me, so I must be crazy.

I don't think you are crazy - I think you had your priorities screwed up.  Heather never objected to Tamra allegedly saying she was anorexic.  You made it sound as if it was the worse thing anyone could ever say about someone.  It isn't.  Heather is proud and thin.  It is not in the neighborhood of saying someone drinks too much and is getting divorced.  I think your message got muddled when it was okay to divulge confidences with short term TV friends but not with friends you have had for two seasons.

For the love God, please tell me you took some artistic license in transcribing this nausea-inducing anthropomorphic ode to a frickin' house----a frickin' house!!!!!

The house should have been the back drop for their lives, but right here, Hedy has given it a starring role in their "return to TV". If there was any question in my mind that the Dubrows are not fame-whoring, shallow, pretentious, materialistic dweebs, that notion has been obliterated.

That is word for word what was written I don't think I could have made it sound more pretentious if I tried. My jaw seriously dropped after I read it I assumed the longer piece would have been about their children and memories. I do wish Hedy would learn about paragraphs it hurt me typing it out and not correcting it.

• Love 11

That is word for word what was written I don't think I could have made it sound more pretentious if I tried. My jaw seriously dropped after I read it I assumed the longer piece would have been about their children and memories.

Well, then you deserve our thanks for having the stomach to stick with it long enough to get through that whole thing!

I do wish Hedy would learn about paragraphs it hurt me typing it out and not correcting it.

But Hedy has perfect English! :P

• Love 4

I don't think you are crazy - I think you had your priorities screwed up.  Heather never objected to Tamra allegedly saying she was anorexic.  You made it sound as if it was the worse thing anyone could ever say about someone.  It isn't.  Heather is proud and thin.  It is not in the neighborhood of saying someone drinks too much and is getting divorced.  I think your message got muddled when it was okay to divulge confidences with short term TV friends but not with friends you have had for two seasons.

My priorities are just fine. That wasn't my message. My message was this:

"Yes, Tamra was a bitch to Shannon and did things that were wrong. No question about it (although I don't think the initial reveal was that big of a deal. She really did seem to be trying to get Heather to have some sympathy for Shannon). She shouldn't have done any of those things but to me it is much worse to do terrible things to someone who is supposed to be your very good friend. "

I seem to be saying that Tamra was wrong in both situations, but betrayed Heather more by virtue of their relationship. You seem to be saying that she did nothing wrong in saying what she did to Shannon about Heather. Fair enough. I am sure everyone else is tired of hearing about this so I am out on this one and my apologies for taking up so much space on the forum. The fun snark is much more entertaining.

• Love 1

Agreed! I have been lucky to travel the globe north, south, east & west and have had some of the most amazing food (haute to ethnic) If I didn't like something I just took a bite and moved on to the next course without causing a "scene".

• Love 4

Errr, so the secrets revealed were, in no particular order:

Heather and Terry are superficial douche canoes.

Shannon likes weird shit

Tamra talks shit behind her "friends" backs

Someone painted

Lizzie is boring

Vickie is or is not with Brooks and continues to insult every nationality on the planet

Danielle works for the CIA. Okay, I got nothin'.

Edited by CatMomma
  • Love 16

Dear Terry

Love Hedy.

Now I am off to puke

If you're done puking, please let me in the bathroom....I think I just threw up in my mouth, reading that ridiculously self-aggrandizing drivel!!  If this is a love letter, I am glad that they found each other...they are truly a freakin' match made in Heaven, because I can't imagine anyone who deserves each other more than Terry and "Hedy"....and I can't imagine that there is anyone else in the world who would put up with either of them! 

• Love 8

Motorcity:) 

Mr. Lablover's version of fung shey,sheay,whatever.  His is STFU.  Let me watch Monday night football in peace.  And a nap.  How hard is that?  I don't need a crystal corner for that!  I giggled all through that nonsense.    

Tamra throwback from first season was WOW for me.  How do you pay all that money to look worse?  Her glaring with her slit eyes is just fucking scary.  And she says Vicki's son is so mean?  Vicki has her kids, where is her oldest daughter?  Living with her father. 

I nominate Tamra for the ice bucket challenge.  I can't be specific what would be in the ice bucket, but think waddles like a duck.  I'll donate double.

Edited by Lablover27
  • Love 7

Mr. Lablover's version of fung shey,sheay,whatever.  His is STFU.  Let me watch Monday night football in peace.  And a nap.  How hard is that?  I don't need a crystal corner for that!  I giggled all through it though.

Too funny Lablover, we could probably exchange spouses and no one would be the wiser.

• Love 2

Dr. Muffyn now thinks I'm crazy.  I just walked into the bedroom and told him, "Oh darling, I love you for your heated towel drawers" and left the room.  

Whenever I see Collette's name, I automatically add "that bitch".  The Dubrows have changed me.

• Love 10

Dr. Muffyn now thinks I'm crazy.  I just walked into the bedroom and told him, "Oh darling, I love you for your heated towel drawers" and left the room.  

Whenever I see Collette's name, I automatically add "that bitch".  The Dubrows have changed me.

Tee hee on both counts.  I thought the same re: Collette, but wasn't sure if I should say it; I'm so glad you did :thumbsup: !

• Love 2

There are a variety of restaurants in OC, but these people never venture beyond the generic touristy oceanfront places and cutesy theme restaurants where they sit inside choo choo trains, etc.  Maybe Heather can design a mansion-themed place with double staircases that serves french fries and cakes with bows on them.  No onion rings, though.

• Love 9
Brooks seems willing to be endlessly and very publicly humiliated year after year.

She's known him long enough to be aware of his (what we viewers deem to be) sketchy ways and appears to have justified them to herself or at least learned to navigate around them.  She's holding her own with him. 

Also, considering the fact Vicki looked much better this year (more relaxed and less stressed) and her demeanor for the most part seemed much more tranquil, I'm going to have to assume a lot of that may be due to her being content with her life, a large part of that life involving Brooks.

As long as he's making Vicki happy, that's really all that should matter to people such as Tamra.

Makes me wonder what is going on with this relationship.  Why does she keep breaking up & getting back together with him?  Is she supporting him financially?  Does he make any kind of living?  How does he pay child support?  Vicks doesn't really share that much, so all we can do is assume what's going on.  Their relationship can't be all that great cuz she keeps breaking up with him.  But then she keeps getting back with him.  And it seems like they've been doing this for years & years.  WTF?  Is she blaming Brianna for her breaking up with him & getting back with him so many times?  Really?  Er, not buyin' it, Vicks.

Look, I still think Brooksie is a slimy loser, a con artist & a creep.  If he were involved with my mom, and if she had a lotta dough, I'd be concerned too.  Actually, I'd be pissed as fuck.  But as a viewer -- I hate to admit it, but I find this relationship kinda entertaining.  Even tho Brooksie never fails to make me cringe.  Now what about Tams?  Does she have the right to bash Brooks?  Not in my book.  Not if Vicks really is her friend.  But that's the thing -- to me, at least.  I never was especially sold on their friendship.  Cuz Tams can't be trusted for a second by anyone.  I think Tams is friends with Vicks for the sake of the show.  And dat's it.

I'm kinda thinkin' Tams looks at herself as the spokesperson for the audience.  Maybe she wants to voice what we're thinking?  I mean, who could look at Brooksie & possibly think -- what a great catch?  Sheesh, the dude was owing tons of dough in back child support (and maybe still does, unless Vicks paid it off & continues to pay it), he doesn't seem to have a job or any kind of way to support himself financially, he's not much to look at AND his personality could best be described as slithery.  

So sure, it's easy for us to look at Brooksie, and think -- Vicks, are you outta your fuckin' mind for not only getting yourself involved with this loser, but supporting him financially for years & years & years?  But would a friend say this to her?  I would think not.  But is Tams anyone's friend?

And that brings me to Heather.  Tams has said shit about her much worse than Shannon ever did or ever ever ever would.  The crack about her having an eating disorder or this stuff about her mothering skills consisting of giving her nannies a schedule -- I would think Heather would be furious with Tams.  And yet not a peep outta her.  Er, WTF?  What up, Heather?  Maybe she's just terrified of Tams.  Or she just doesn't wanna go up against her.  Can't say I blame her for dat.  I wouldn't wanna go against Tams either.

And that brings me to Lizzie.  While I've complained bout her all season for being boring, I gotta say I admired her for the way she handled Tams coming at her.  I thought she really held her own.  And on second viewing, I kinda liked her family.  They seemed quirky & sweet.  

One thing which greatly upset me -- that scene of Lizzie's son whacking her with the little stuffed animal.  To me, it showed how nasty these producers can get.  They basically took a quick moment, where her kid was having a little tantrum (as most kids do) and used it against her.  Very, very nasty.  Satan Andy's work?  Well, him or his minions.  And for Tams to go along with it by using this to malign Lizzie as a mother is just plain awful.  But as I said, I think Lizzie stood up for herself & against this crap pretty well.  I could be wrong, but I suspect they're gonna ask her back.  But she's gotta talk about other stuff than a long forgotten birthday party or a dumb game we never saw.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 7

Agreed! I have been lucky to travel the globe north, south, east & west and have had some of the most amazing food (haute to ethnic) If I didn't like something I just took a bite and moved on to the next course without causing a "scene".

One of my cousins constantly did that shit when we were in Germany for a family reunion last year. It took all my will to not smack her whenever she took a bite of something and scrunched her face up.

According to the laws of Feng Shui, Vicki needs to remember that she should never place a grifter in same room as her financial records.

Never put a ki (cash) drain in the same room as your source.

• Love 2

Tamra throwback from first season was WOW for me.  How do you pay all that money to look worse?  Her glaring with her slit eyes is just fucking scary. 

I came on board with this show during Gretchen's first season (and haven't seen any prior seasons) so that throwback was the first time I'd seen how Tamra looked previously and, as much as it pains me to admit it, she looks better now.  That was some scary shit.

Hedy spraying herself in the face with the perfume...I laughed. Served the idiot right for doing it at the dinner table. And, of course she had to use the opportunity to remind everyone that she's married to a doctor

I think she said it was bug repellant. Better, right?

• Love 4

I know Vicki is desperate, but I wonder if she will give him yet another chance....she is after all dating other people and publicly said she will dump him if someone better comes along.  Hard to believe there is not someone better...

The man just needs to stop talking, and just assume he is always being recorded because most people think he is a d-bag.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/09/brooks-ayers-vicki-gunvalson-rhoc-real-housewives-oc-cheating-scandal-national-enquirer/

• Love 3

I know Vicki is desperate, but I wonder if she will give him yet another chance....she is after all dating other people and publicly said she will dump him if someone better comes along.  Hard to believe there is not someone better...

The man just needs to stop talking, and just assume he is always being recorded because most people think he is a d-bag.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/09/brooks-ayers-vicki-gunvalson-rhoc-real-housewives-oc-cheating-scandal-national-enquirer/

Oh dear Lord Vicki get it together. Do you need a brick wall to fall on you?

• Love 6

I'm not sure I understand this story. So, Vicki asked a friend of hers to meet with Brooks to discuss business and the friend decided to record his conversation because he didn't want Brooks to misrepresent their conversation? 

So, the guy was worried about his own reputation or was he worried about Vicki's reputation? I'm not sure I understand why he would meet with Brooks if he felt Brooks was so shady that the had to record the conversation - seems like he would have just said no to Vicki's request to meet with him. But, why would Vicki ask him to meet with Brooks one on one in the first place? And, the hooker was someone he met while hanging out with the professional gambler that ended up suing Vicki and Brooks?

Maybe i need more caffeine, but I am really having a hard time following this story. 

• Love 1

Looking at Shannon's kids' rooms just kills me.  I've never seen such charmless, personality free -- and er, clean -- kids' rooms ever.  Anyone else?

Man, that baldie Feng Shui lady was really laying it on so fuckin' thick with phony baloney flattery & smooching Shannon's butt like nobody's business.  Guess she must make a ton of dough off Shannon, the big sucker.

I agree Fung Shui Lady was selling and  schmoozing like nobody's business, but is it any worse than some supposed faith healing, prayer cloth preacher with his hands in his congregation's pockets every Sunday and nightly on TV?   It's definitely not as bad as some mullah sending somebody off to blow up themselves and other people while he sits on his ass.

I may not believe in someone's particular choice of religion or life practice, I may think it really strange but I try to be ok with it if it makes them try to be a better person and it doesn't poorly impact others.

• Love 4

Jessie Q...

According to the laws of Feng Shui, Vicki needs to remember that she should never place a grifter in same room as her financial records.

Or her checkbook.....

Good one.

I've told family, friends and others "Don't check your brain at the door. Think."

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 1

I think these tapes are old news to Vicki as she ordered them.  I like Vicki's persona on the show this year but when it comes to money making I think Vicki will do or endorse just about anything.  It just seems none of her schemes ever seem to pay out.  The OTC eyelash treatment, Wines by Wives, weird diamonds, bacon vodka-which appears she actually had to invest money.  I don't know how far removed she is from Brooks in the easy money department. 

Again with the Vickster, she has hung around this Brooks fellow so long and forgiven him so many times, as she did Donn-who was verbally abusive, had long periods of unemployment and was unfaithful and her first husband who had long periods of unemployment and was verbally or emotionally abusive.  So I don't see a line of men with "good character" wanting to expose their lives, have their conversations recorded all for the privilege of calling Vicki their wife or significant other.  Quite honestly, if I were the adult child of a man dating Vicki I would be questioning his choice of companions. 

• Love 4

Quote ?:
Speaking of Dina's house, WTF is up with all her statues and other stuff of "eastern religions". It looks like a combo Pier One and a flea market.

jaync, on 08 Sept 2014 - 6:41 PM, said:
I feel sorry for whoever has to dust that parade of crap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me:
Any one up for a new decorating series featuring Dina and Shannon from RHoOC!

..............grinning like and idiot while running away and hiding.

(re-posted from RHoNJ  because I felt it also appropriate for RHoOC)

Dear Terry

Love Hedy.

Now I am off to puke

That last sentence was your comment and not Heather announcing a binge 'n' puke binge, right? LOL

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 7

Dr. Muffyn waited half an hour before he came to the living room to say, "We don't have heated towel drawers.  How can you love me for my heated towel drawers?"  So he couldn't sleep until this all important question was resolved.  Given Dr. Terry's supposed stress -based insomnia from the ridiculous spats on this show, I'm starting to think there is a doctor issue that prevents them from properly processing stupidity.  Of course in Dr. Terry's case, he is often the root of the stupidity.  And, if Dr. Muffyn heard someone told me to spread my legs while getting on a bull, I don't think he would come down with the vapors.  After all, I wouldn't be riding side saddle.  

• Love 4

It's funny but the Dubrows don't bother me. Probably because it's their type of pretentiousness that caused me to watch this show in the first place. They are rich and like it. And I find them - with a few exceptions - to be humorous and over the top. 

• Love 10

Mr. Lablover's version of fung shey,sheay,whatever.  His is STFU.  Let me watch Monday night football in peace.  And a nap.  How hard is that?  I don't need a crystal corner for that!  I giggled all through that nonsense.    

My boyfriend's version of Feng Shui is much like your Mr. Lablover's. The placement of the TV, Sunday Ticket/Ps3, Tivo remotes. The tableau of Guacamole, salsa and chips and Patriots glass filled with coke. Having, at the very least, "NINE" extra hours of NFL history, NFL talk show programming lined up to fill up the dead space between Monday and Thursday and Thursday and Sunday.

• Love 4
Big props to describing the steel-oats quality of Vicki's face.  Ugh.  Ten years of injections and bragging about the SoCal look and lifestyle...yeah, sign me up if I too can have the glamtastic beauty of a Vicki or a Tamra.

I was shocked to see the footage of Tamra from her early seasons - I'd forgotten how pretty she was compared with the shrivelled-up, Botoxed harridan she's turned into. Vicki, too, looked so much better before she started filling her face with plasticine.

• Love 7

I was shocked to see the footage of Tamra from her early seasons - I'd forgotten how pretty she was compared with the shrivelled-up, Botoxed harridan she's turned into. Vicki, too, looked so much better before she started filling her face with plasticine.

I think Vicki looks better with a little more weight.

• Love 2

I can't wait til the RH franchise has run it's course completely and we get a REAL "Secrets Revealed" special with producer interviews and maybe some of the Housewives able to give their version of events once their contracts are completed (I think the original length of their contract is 7 or 9 years with Bravo's option to extend after the season airs). Although I'm sure Bravp took preventative measures so this exact thing will not happen. Oh well. More fun for us to speculate on the boards!

• Love 1

...every man I know wears wife-beaters.

I certainly imagine a wannabe actor would want to wear one on TV, regardless of sexual orientation.

HIggins replied above: "Really? I haven't seen a man in a wife-beater for 15 years. They look like shit."

I would like to weigh in on the great American Male Undershirt Debate, aka "wife beaters". Of course I don't like that name, but it is a commonly understood title for them and we know here that bad ethnic stereotype comes from. That said, Mr. Bossa Nova sometimes wears them in white or gray or black depending on the outer shirt color he is wearing. And he likes them in the hot summer to layer under a shirt and wear to work to make the outer shirt neater and show less perspiration. He works in an office setting and has a challenging long urban commute on public transportation. In otherwords, he has to try to stay looking neat by the time he gets to his office. 

Now in the winter, he might switch to layering a short sleeved black T under a shirt or stay with a 'wife beater' to layer under a dress shirt and suit jacket. If it's really cold, he might switch to a warm LL Bean long sleeved T in various colors to layer again.

All my silly hubby apparel detail is to say that maybe the image of the white "wifebeater" undershirt is still worn in various parts of the country, in various job types , by different types of good and decent straight or gay men in all ethnicities...who don't beat. So maybe we ought to kick that name and its unfortunate stereotype and be open minded.  

BTW, we have a different name for those "wifebeater" shirts;  we call them "undershirts".

And in light of recent news events re: the fired NFL player and his beating of his wife, maybe we should retire that name. It dilutes the seriousness of the matter. 

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 4

Really? I haven't seen a man in a wife-beater for 15 years. They look like shit.

My man has bunches of them, but he only wears them under another shirt in the winter.  He periodically has to replace them because someone keeps stealing them to sleep in.  That would be me.  Love them.

• Love 3

I would like to weigh in on the great American Male Undershirt Debate, aka "wife beaters". Of course I don't like that name, but it is a commonly understood title for them and we know here that bad ethnic stereotype comes from. That said, Mr. Bossa Nova sometimes wears them in white or gray or black depending on the outer shirt color he is wearing. And he likes them in the hot summer to layer under a shirt and wear to work to make the outer shirt neater and show less perspiration. He works in an office setting and has a challenging long urban commute to work on public transportation. In otherwords, he has to try to stay looking neat by the time he gets to his office. 

Now in the winter, he might switch to layering a short sleeved black T under a shirt or stay with a 'wife beater' to layer under a dress shirt and suit jacket. If it's really cold, he might switch to a warm LL Bean long sleeved T in various colors to layer again.

All my silly hubby apparel detail is to say that maybe the image of the white "wifebeater" undershirt is still worn in various parts of the country, in various job types , by different types of good and decent straight or gay men in all ethnicities...who don't beat. So maybe we ought to kick that name and its unfortunate stereotype and be open minded.  

BTW, we have a different name for those "wifebeater" shirts;  we call them "undershirts".

And in light of recent news events re: the fired NFL player and his beating of his wife, maybe we should retire that name. It dilutes the seriousness of the matter. 

As an undershirt, maybe...but I never see them in good old DC. I wasn't aware that wife beaters were of a certain race but, all races. Of course bringing race into it is always a  handy way to be offended. As far as sexual orientation, sometimes gay and straight men  dress differently not all of them but sometimes clothing choices can be a clue to sexual orientation but I suppose people who like to be offended could find offense in that too except when it comes to pointing out a straight guy like Eddie, or Danielle's husband. Then it is okay.