Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts: Bergeron and Andrews

• Start Topic

I want to make a joke about Alphonso Single White Female-ing Tom, but it seems serious with Tom's dad so that seems in bad taste. (Best wishes to Tom and Tom's dad.)

I don't mind Alphonso either, but the image of him living in the rafters after he never left his season, and then popping up like whack-a-moles does make me laugh.

• Love 1

I asked this last week and I genuinely want to know..when ABC is obviously asking Alfonso to do these things should he say no? He works for ABC now so I REALLY can't see him refusing them. Tom gave Alfonso his blessing and thought him taking over for him on AFV was a great idea so tbh I wouldn't be surprised if this latest was his idea. Should Alfonso have refused him or ABC?

I think if Tom asked, no Alfonso shouldn't have declined considering the situation involved an illness (& we don't know if it's minor or major) in Tom's family which necessitates him being out of LA, hopefully only for this week's show. Having said that, the Producer/Showrunner may have actually been the 1 who asked Alfonso.

I also think if ABC asked, again Alfonso shouldn't have declined. They're his employer now, even superceding the production company directly involved with AFV, & it's probably not a great idea to "bite the hand that feeds you", as it were. Especially in the entertainment industry.

Besides, this is all due to what appears to be a last-minute emergency; we don't know who else with the necessary experience may have been available, if anyone; & hopefully Tom will be back for the next show--if his Dad's illness isn't major or, God forbid, terminal. I don't look at this as much different than when Drew Lachey Co-Hosted for a few shows when either Samantha Harris or Brooke Burke-Charvet (I forget which now) took maternity leave while Co-Hosting the show--except the maternity leave was planned for &, obviously, Tom's Dad's illness wasn't.

Plus, Alfonso replacing Tom for what should be *1* show (as of now), no matter how tired some people are of seeing him in connection with DWTS, is probably way more preferable to something like having Erin host the show by herself this week. That may have been the other alternative & that's all I'm saying.

I also wanted to add, before I came back over here, I saw a new Tweet from Tom. He said he was on the plane (to go to his Dad) & he wanted to thank everyone for all the nice Tweets (which he'll share with his Dad) since his original Tweet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tom_Bergeron/status/650849658386972673?p=v

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2

Alfonso Ribero can do whatever he wants and accept whatever he wants. I am simply expressing my opinion, as a viewer, that I am personally tired of seeing him on this show. That's it...it's no deeper than that. I am speaking for me and me alone and expressing my feeling that I am tired of seeing him on this show. If others enjoy him, great for them. It's fine, I will be employing my mute and FF button as I do for most weeks of the show anyway.

That's fine, but then I think it behooves you to suggest who you think would have made a better temporary replacement. I mean the idea of Erin doing it is laughable.

• Love 3

Isn't this only for this week's show? So in saying that yes, I actually think they should have just had Erin and be done with it. The show already runs long and is incredibly bloated with a bunch of unnecessary stuff in my opinion. Erin is already there, whatever one thinks of her or not and I'm not saying how I feel about her one way or the the other, but since she is there, have her introduce the dances and then they give the scores and that eliminates all the pointless extra banter that happens. 

I've been tired of Alfonso ever since he was on in Season 4 as the black buddy along with Lance Bass to Joey Fatone.  Back then peeps were sayin' he has too much dance experience for the show, and he acts a little desperate.  But ol' Alfonso hung on to the hangers on until the show threw out the dance rules so he could come back with his cheezy Carlton and cheezier crying moments to win. He's almost as annoying as Donny Osmond.  

As for a show host, it would have been nice to tap someone else. There's a whole bunch of people who came back for the Anniversary show, any of them could have handled the job.  This guy is just annoying, and to be given Tom's job for the evening will grate. I would have wanted a front row seat if Leah Remini got the nod.

Edited by Andie1

If Tom needs a longer sabbatical, I suggest they bring in the male presenter from the UK, Canada, or Australia. 

There is no male presenter from the UK. It's currently hosted by two women.  There WAS a male host until last year, but he was not only horrible, but also really old (and kind of senile).

Since their season runs at the same time as the US show, it's not like they could borrow those hosts anyway.  

Don't know about the Aussie host. I've not seen more than clips of that one.

Put Erin in Tom's spot and have Leah do Erin's role. I could at least handle that.

I can't however handle yet ANOTHER episode of Alfonso mugging and being loud and trying to make as many "when I did the show..." references as possible.

He seems to think he's HBIC of DWTS alum and that what bugs me. He is kind of the Phantom of DWTS at this point.

• Love 1

Isn't this only for this week's show? So in saying that yes, I actually think they should have just had Erin and be done with it. The show already runs long and is incredibly bloated with a bunch of unnecessary stuff in my opinion. Erin is already there, whatever one thinks of her or not and I'm not saying how I feel about her one way or the the other, but since she is there, have her introduce the dances and then they give the scores and that eliminates all the pointless extra banter that happens. 

Lord no, Erin is terrible!!   I don't think she has what it takes to do what they already let her do, mush less give her more responsibility.  

• Love 2

Some of you may not like Alfonso which is fine.  But I think the ratings did go up during his season when they were sliding for a long time so it seems the network loves him and a lot of the fans are ok with it.  Plus I would think Tom would have some say as to who can be his replacement on short notice.  Hell, Tom may have been the one to suggest him. 

What matters now is that Tom's dad gets (hopefully better.)

• Love 2

I didn't vote for Alfonso precisely because of his "attitude" and now he must be coming cheap for ABC to keep grabbing him for the show. If ratings increased because a stupid Carlton move then shame on the viewers. Either that or he has the "you need to plaster my annoying ass over the whole show" clause in his contract.  America's Funniest Videos were old after the first season even with Tom at the helm. It's gonna tank with this guy. 

Edited by Andie1

I'm already anticipating the Alfonso backlash, but it's what I expected.  In order for Erin to do the show alone, they would have to reconfigure their whole setup for tonight's show.  It's doable, but it would be a lot of last minute changes for Erin and the entire cast/crew to digest and it's easier to just bring in a 2nd person and keep the setup the same.  This seems like it was a very last minute situation with Tom.

I've also seen a lot of viewers suggest they should have brought Leah Remini back and etc. and I totally understand why Alfonso is their go to for one night.  He's an ABC employee.  He's a close friend of Tom's so Tom might be the one that asked him to fill in tonight.  He's an extremely experienced showbiz vet who has hosting experience.  You also need somebody that understands and has experience with the show since there isn't much prep time for a "new" person.  Leah was fine and fun for the one show she co-hosted however many seasons ago, but they need somebody in Tom's spot that can steer the ship and keep things on target if things get wacky.  Don't forget we have Busey and Paula in the cast.  Leah wouldn't reign things in.  She would encourage the wackiness and just make them wackier.  Which is fine if she's in a second banana role, but she can't be the first banana.

So I guess my question to people is on the presumption that TPTB had less than 24 hours to fill the host spot, who would you have suggested besides Alfonso?  The only other viable solution I've read is moving Erin into Tom's role for tonight and bringing in a second banana for her.  I still think the logisitics to letting Erin do the whole show by herself might have been too much for crew and everyone to handle less than 24 hours before air.   I'm not even trying to be obnoxious with that question in that Alfonso was literally the only person that came to my mind the second I heard Tom wouldn't be there.  There are other capable live hosts in the industry, but not ones that know how DWTS operates on such short notice.

Don't get me wrong.  Alfonso might suck tonight, but I understand why TPTB would entrust him with Tom's job and not someone like Leah.  I don't think people understand how hard Tom's job really is and how much responsibility is on his shoulders.  Leah is far too unpredictable.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 8

I guess they could use a pro to host? Like, Tony. Oooh, or bring back my girl Cheryl.

I like Alfonso, so he seems like the smartest choice. Maybe they should have Erin host and Alfonso co-host, but there's no reason to do that really. 

• Love 1

Erin can barely finish her sentences sometimes. The idea of her having the main job for even a day is pretty unlikely.

I know he's been mentioned, but the best person probably might have been Drew Lachey, who's hosted a competitive reality show before--even if it was small potatoes compared to this one--and of course worked on DWTS in various roles already. 

Or as much as I hate the idea on some level, I bet Bruno could have done it. They could have dragged in a guest judge much easier than a suitable host.

Bruno I think is still doing both the UK and US shows though, like Len used to. So I suppose he may not have even been an option if he's only flying in the morning before each show.

The Witney/Alfonso/jazz-Carlton dance on the official DWTS YT channel has 7.3 million views. There isnt a single dance in 21 seasons that has views that even come within a mile of those numbers..and that's not counting all the other numerous channels it was posted. Shame on all those people and their crappy taste!

Its interesting that if you look at the comments in places like E, People, US Weekly etcthat posted about Tom missing the show there isn't a whole lot of Alfonso hate, quite the opposite, many people seem to love him and are also considering the fact that Tom most likely had to feel comfortable with whoever took on his job so last minute.

• Love 1

I am a little amused that it's almost like people who don't care for Alfonso are expected to justify their feelings. As I have said before, everything I post are my feelings and my observations. So I never inferred everyone else is annoyed to see Alfonso and I don't care that many others are excited and love him and enjoy him. Great...whoopee for them. However, as a viewer of the show as well, I believe I am more than entitled to express my irritation that I AM personally tired of seeing him...period. 

Alfonso is certainly not the only former contestant and/or winner who has appeared on the show several times since they've left.

And I never suggested, stated or inferred otherwise. But as he's the topic of discussion I didn't feel the need to go down the list of others who park themselves in the audience every week for multiple seasons. And frankly, it's much easier to ignore someone who's just sitting in the audience, who unless the camera catches them, I don't even know they're there versus someone who has come back to judge, perform and now host.

At first I rolled my eyes hearing Alfonso would be back. But it's also Most Memorable Year week, which usually has more gravitas then other weeks. Erin also probably has extensive (ish) interviews planned with the contestants. So I could see why TPTB think that directly replacing Tom was a good idea. Drew, Melissa Rycroft or Alfonso would have really been the only choices, and Drew has kind of stayed away since the All-Star season. Melissa doesn't live in LA so getting out there may have been too short of notice.

I'd take Alfonso over CAI any day. I don't mind Alfonso stepping in and popping up. I also loved the Carlton dance.

I would like to have Leah come back, but she's more suited for the color commentary portion than Tom's portion.

• Love 1

I guess they could use a pro to host? Like, Tony. Oooh, or bring back my girl Cheryl.

I like Alfonso, so he seems like the smartest choice. Maybe they should have Erin host and Alfonso co-host, but there's no reason to do that really.

Cheryl is apparently unavailable. She recently--like last week--Tweeted she'd be going off social media for awhile & it appears to be due to a trip she's taking to somewhere fairly far away, & perhaps with unreliable (or no) internet service. Plus she's now doing another reality competition show, I Can Do That!, which was on NBC over the late Spring/early Summer & has been renewed for a second season--presumably airing in the late Spring/early Summer of 2016. So she may have been contractually unavailable, due to that job, anyway.

As for Donald Driver, whom Packerbrewerbadger suggested, nice idea; but I'd think that, with the short notice involved in this whole thing, they were probably looking for someone who's actually in LA right now, or close enough there'd be no issues getting them to LA in time for whatever Tom does on show days other than actually host the live show.

I'm something of a Packer fan, since my best friends--who live or lived in the GB metro area--are, & I know Donald's retired, but I don't know if he lives in LA now or close enough he could've been a viable option for Host, if his name crossed anyone's mind for the temporary job.

Considering all the backlash Alfonso's already getting (he did say on his Instagram, since all this came up, he's doing this "with a heavy heart for Tom & the Bergeron family", by the way) when he hasn't even done this yet, I can imagine it might have been twice as bad--at least--if the producers had said "It's only 1 week, let's let Erin go it alone." And I also think it's rather sad that there's been more negativity expressed over Alfonso being a temporary Host than concern for Tom, his father, or the Bergeron family in this situation. I know we don't actually know any of them, but it couldn't hurt to wish them well or put good vibes out there for Tom's Dad's speedy recovery, in my opinion (& I know at least some have been thoughtful enough to do that, which is cool).

• Love 6

It makes sense for Alfonso to be the stand-in host because of timing. It really was nice of him to be the last minute replacement. He doesn't need this for his career now (though DWTS recharged his career) and is helping a friend. I like him because I loved Fresh Prince and Carleton. I didn't love Alfonso last week as judge, but I prefer him for tonight over any other alternative. I did like the idea of former pros guest hosting though.  

Everything is YMMV - I cringed at the thought of Leah Remini being the stand-in, for some reason I've disliked her since she was on Saved by the Bell. It's just an innate dislike and it's grown from seeing her in interviews and on DWTS, so I can understand why people don't like Alfonso. 

I don't really care if people like or dislike Alfonso.  My only point was that I think he was the obvious fill in tonight either way.  I think it's a lot harder to find a fill in for Tom than people think and I definitely don't see them handing over the reins to pros that have little to no hosting experience.  Being able to do highly edited interviews for a show like Extra is a very different job than what DWTS entails.  You really need someone to essentially be the straight man to the rest of the wacky DWTS characters and to keep things moving while also being able to think on their feet if things go awry or get uncomfortable.  I love our pros but I think most of them would be like deer in headlights.

Also I don't think this particular emergency situation, where Tom probably had a say in his replacement, is really an example of Alfonso being too invested in DWTS.  I think this is a situation of him helping out a friend and it was just bad timing since we had Alfonso guest judging last week.  Hopefully Alfonso knows enough to disappear from set for awhile after this one.

Plus how he headlined the tour and even showed up during the second tour he wasn't headlining.

Truth, but the last part is a little misleading.  He performed at two or three shows when Val, who essentially was the star of the last tour, was out of the country at a wedding.  Rumer was also out at those shows as well and Melissa Rycroft was injured and didn't dance for most of the tour.  I think the tour people brought him in to keep people from complaining too much that the main star as gone.

Edited by spanana

I don't think Internet rage is going to have any big effect on the real world here.  This show's viewers don't live and die by what gets tweeted and board posted, IMO.

If the rage makes it's way to press coverage, as sometimes happens, that's where the line is.  Not that most viewers read the Entertainment Press either, but network Execs do.

It's kind of hilarious that some can't see why some are so over Alfonso. Comparing him coming back after his win to others who've appeared in the audience a few times is a far cry.

Dude has been in the audience before and after his season multiple times, came back to do however many dances (anniversary special, finale with Sadie), guest judged, and now guest hosted. Plus how he headlined the tour and even showed up during the second tour he wasn't headlining.

Dude really needs to back off. I get that it's hard to say no when asked, but there's thing concept called overexposure and he's dangerously over that line, at least for me.

Alfonso and Saddest Event of My Life night - oh joy!  What a thrill tonight's show will be.

I guess TPTB figure Alfonso won, so he must be popular so let's beat the viewers over the head with him.

I don't understand why they didn't just move Kim/Karina, whichever one was going to sit with Dominic on All-Access tonight.

Dominic just likes talking about himself anyway.  He continually sends off Kim/Karina for whichever couple is going to sit and chat.  Why not let Kim/Karina fill in for Tom (reading off his cue cards), Dominic will continue to do what he does and Erin will continue to do what she does.

ETA: While I find Alfonso annoying, I do not "hate" him.

Edited by Uke

It's kind of hilarious that some can't see why some are so over Alfonso. Comparing him coming back after his win to others who've appeared in the audience a few times is a far cry.

Dude has been in the audience before and after his season multiple times, came back to do however many dances (anniversary special, finale with Sadie), guest judged, and now guest hosted. Plus how he headlined the tour and even showed up during the second tour he wasn't headlining.

Dude really needs to back off. I get that it's hard to say no when asked, but there's thing concept called overexposure and he's dangerously over that line, at least for me.

I don't think it's a question of not understanding why some are "over" him. I think it's mostly a case where it seems perhaps like a Mountain is being made of a Molehill.  It's only one episode, their options were limited, presumably Bergeron had to approve, and the capper is that I don't think the general viewing audience in general feels things as strongly or is as opinionated on things like this as the Tweet and Board-verses. Mostly from ABC and the BBC's perspective, they went with a seemingly popular "known name", with hosting experience, who the audience would know from the show. Beyond that they didn't care, because they aren't seeing this as any kind of long term plan.

Could they have chosen better with a little time? Sure. But this will probably be gone and done probably after this and a mere one episode aberration. And even when they make mistakes, it doesn't really dent the show as badly as people fear. Erin by many accounts has been a mistake, but nobody is tuning out simply because she's incompetent and annoying. 

Bergeron does make the show, it's true. Replacing him for GOOD might be impossible. But they don't have to worry about that. This is just extremely short term coverage. No disaster will occur.  They might even get a slight bump from people being curious.

• Love 1

I get that they needed someone quick, but my point is that i'm just tired of Alfonso in any role on this show, whether it's contestant, judge, and now host.

I hope after this week, we don't see him again for a long time. In his mind that's probably the finale. Give us a chance to miss him. I don't think it's the just the Twitter and online-verse that feels like. Both my mom and grandma, both not into the "Twitter/message board" scene both have been on the "Really, he's back again?" side.

He has fans, no doubt but it's just a point of overexposure to some.

It seems like you're ignoring the people who were brought up that didn't just appear in the audience. Leah Remini and Drew Lachey have both come back to co-host. Kelly Monaco and Emmitt Smith have also come back and been on-screen several times. Kenny Mayne and Jerry Rice do Dance Center repeatedly. I could go on. If this emergency situation with Tom's family hadn't occurred I doubt Alfonso would have appeared again, maybe until the finale. It sucks for those that hate him, but you can just use your mute button.

Yes, those people came back at some point in time, but it's only been a year since Alfonso won and yet he's made THIS many appearances. All of those people above have made appearances here and then since their own season and it was never this many times.

It's not just that he won't go away, but that it's only been a year and it's just too much, too soon.

I get that they needed someone quick, but my point is that i'm just tired of Alfonso in any role on this show, whether it's contestant, judge, and now host.

I hope after this week, we don't see him again for a long time. In his mind that's probably the finale. Give us a chance to miss him. I don't think it's the just the Twitter and online-verse that feels like. Both my mom and grandma, both not into the "Twitter/message board" scene both have been on the "Really, he's back again?" side.

He has fans, no doubt but it's just a point of overexposure to some.

Yes, those people came back at some point in time, but it's only been a year since Alfonso won and yet he's made THIS many appearances. All of those people above have made appearances here and then since their own season and it was never this many times.

It's not just that he won't go away, but that it's only been a year and it's just too much, too soon.

That's fair, and feelings like that don't have to be justified in any way, I think.  But at the same time I also don't think it changes the whole "Mountain out of a Molehill" angle either. Even if every last person agreed he's tiresome and annoying, I don't think that's the same thing as saying there's any real damage from this.  Grandma and Mom aren't going to stop tuning into the show, I'd bet, simply because the franchise was in bad straights for a week and dragged in a mugging ham to cover in an emergency.  This will be forgotten about within weeks, I'm sure.

That's fair, and feelings like that don't have to be justified in any way, I think.  But at the same time I also don't think it changes the whole "Mountain out of a Molehill" angle either. Even if every last person agreed he's tiresome and annoying, I don't think that's the same thing as saying there's any real damage from this.  Grandma and Mom aren't going to stop tuning into the show, I'd bet, simply because the franchise was in bad straights for a week and dragged in a mugging ham to cover in an emergency.  This will be forgotten about within weeks, I'm sure.

All I did was use family members who aren't social media savvy as an example of the "general audience" could be finding him tiresome as well.

Alfonso is a lightening rod of a personality, you hate or love him, and while I don't hate him, I find him endlessly annoying and loud. It'll be a good season when he doesn't pop up for some random reason. 

Plenty of former alumni continue to support and tweet about the show, yet don't show up constantly. Maybe that's a note Alfonso can take.

But at the same time I also don't think it changes the whole "Mountain out of a Molehill" angle either.

Seems to me the people who snarked about Alfonso's presence weren't the ones making the mountain out of the molehill.

Even if every last person agreed he's tiresome and annoying, I don't think that's the same thing as saying there's any real damage from this.

But where were the claims that there would be some damage...damage to what? Again, maybe I've been scrolling too fast but all I saw were a few comments snarking on Alfonso's ever continuing presence on the show and it turned into whatever it has turned into.

I don't think that's true. I can't remember how long Drew co-hosted, but I think it was more than once because he was covering up for Samantha Harris' (I think it was her) maternity leave. Other than Leah Remini most of those other people have appeared multiple times, just like Alfonso. So, no, I don't believe he's appeared more than any other former contestant. And, again, it might be too much too soon for some people, but it's not for everyone and for those that don't like it there's a very simple solution.

To veer away from the Alfonso/Tom conversation a bit, I am thinking that the female co-host job is actually the harder and more unforgiving of the two. The fact that there have been complaints about every single woman who's held the job (except for Season 1 Lisa Canning...guess the show was too new then) makes me think it's the job, not the person. Since she's the one that actually spends more time with the couples and has to get reactions and interesting tidbits, of course there will be more opportunity for awkward moments. But it can't be easy to do all that, think on the fly, while having producers constantly talking in your ear the whole time.

I think Erin does considerably well and has done the best job of the four women who have been in the cohost role. Brooke and Samantha had issues sometimes, but they didn't bother me or take me out of the show.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 4

I missed the first few minutes of last night's show so I came in this thread to find out why Tom wasn't there and wasn't really expecting all this sturm und drang about Alfonso. It seems a little much considering that, as far as we know, he's guest-hosting one episode. Very sorry to hear about Tom's dad, though. No matter how old you are or how inevitable it is, losing a beloved parent is one of the worst things a person will experience in life.

• Love 1

Regarding Alfonso, as far as I'm concerned, if he's good enough for Tom, then he's good enough for me.

Poor, poor Tom. As someone who's lost a parent, devastating doesn't even begin to describe that kind of pain. Tom & his family are in my prayers.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4

Although America is certainly justified in feeling Alfonso Fatigue, I think the outrage is a bit misplaced, considering it was one night of hosting and he didn't have to do a whole lot. You can't stomach the guy on TV for what amounts to a total of 5 minutes (in a 2-hour show), when he is filling in for Tom's family emergency? Sure, they probably could have found someone else, but Alfonso was there, he was willing, and they needed to hurry. He did an adequate job, and hopefully Tom and his family pull through this ordeal alright.

• Love 3

Some people just aren't fans of Alfonso. Lol I can just picture what some would say if Maks or if a different season Derek had been the guest host.

That said I think Alfonso did a good job. Hosting live tv isn't easy.....

Lol I didn't realize I had posted this in host. It was meant for the episode thread >.< Editing and then posting it over there.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1

Tom is the highlight of this show, for me and it will be seriously lacking without him.  

I don't hate Alfonso, I barely remember him.  If only for one show he will be okay.  But it could be more. Tom is 60 so odds are his dad is quite old could be at the end of his life.   

Tom's wife is gorgeous!

http://www.sugarslam.com/tom-bergeron-wife-lois-bergeron/

She is very pretty, but at first I did think it was Paige Davis, and then I saw the comment that others noticed the same. 

• Love 1

The great thing about Alfonso substituting for Tom, is that we were reminded to never ever take Tom for granted. He's the heart of the show for me. He's great at ad libing and covering slip ups with graceful and witty comments.

I would love to have Leah Remini as the female host. I don't mind Erin. She's gotten better with time, but I love what Leah brings to the role.