Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Cookie!

• Start Topic

The compost cookie from Momofuku Milk Bar is the bomb.  It has about 20 ingredients, including coffee grounds, potato chips, chocolate covered pretzels, skor bits, peanut butter chips....., takes forever to make and makes a hell of a mess. Totally worth it.

• Love 1

My favorite soft cookie used to be just plain sugar cookies until I discovered Snickerdoodles.  Now that's my fav.  My favorite store-bought cookie has to be double-stuffed Oreos.  Mainly because of how I like to eat them (but only when no one else can see me do it).  I like to take the cookie off of two cookies and eat the bare cookies.  Then, I take the two that each have crème on them and put them together to make one big fat quadruple-stuffed cookie.  I know it's weird, but I only buy a package about once every couple of years, so at least it's not something I do everyday.  I have recently discovered Trader Joe's lemon snaps (crisps?) with a dark chocolate drizzle on them.  They are delicious, but I couldn't find them the last time I was at a TJs, so I hope they haven't discontinued them.

I have not tried it yet but plan to: Chips Ahoy Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookie with Reese's Peanut Butter Cup bits in them.  :-)  If they are as good as they look, Oreos may have a rival for my cookie affections.

Speaking of Oreos, has anyone tried to Lemon Oreos? OMG, soooooo good.

My favorite soft cookie used to be just plain sugar cookies until I discovered Snickerdoodles.  Now that's my fav.  My favorite store-bought cookie has to be double-stuffed Oreos.  Mainly because of how I like to eat them (but only when no one else can see me do it).  I like to take the cookie off of two cookies and eat the bare cookies.  Then, I take the two that each have crème on them and put them together to make one big fat quadruple-stuffed cookie.  I know it's weird, but I only buy a package about once every couple of years, so at least it's not something I do everyday.  I have recently discovered Trader Joe's lemon snaps (crisps?) with a dark chocolate drizzle on them.  They are delicious, but I couldn't find them the last time I was at a TJs, so I hope they haven't discontinued them.

Not only is this not weird, it is the only correct way to eat an Oreo-TM, double-stuffed or not.  (Just kidding of course.  A little.)   Things at Trader Joe's seem to come and go, so the lemon crisps may return one day.  They sound really yummy.

• Love 1

Another Trader Joe's cookie flavor that I love but couldn't find last time I was there (I don't live near a TJ's, so I only get to one once or twice a year when I travel), are the Ginger Cat Cookies ('They're for people!')  They are really strongly ginger flavored, and I did substitute with their regular gingersnaps (those are strong too), I just like the ones that are shaped like cats.

BTW, I've found that the TJ's cookies that I've bought in the past actually freeze well.  I've stocked up on two or three 'tubs' of cookies and put them in my freezer for later snacking, since I don't shop there very often.

This thread is really making it hard to stick to my daily calorie limits (as I now stomp off to have my banana and Lean Cuisine for lunch).

Edited by BooksRule

The compost cookie from Momofuku Milk Bar is the bomb.  It has about 20 ingredients, including coffee grounds, potato chips, chocolate covered pretzels, skor bits, peanut butter chips....., takes forever to make and makes a hell of a mess. Totally worth it.

I was looking for something new to bake this weekend, and I think I'll give this a try. Thanks for the idea!

I've been invited to my 1st cookie bake and swap (at 66!) on Friday, and am not sure what to bring. I love the peanut butter cookies with the Hershey Kiss but the hostess is making them. I'm tempted to do chocolate chip, or possibly snickerdoodles. Any suggestions?

• Love 1

These Mocha Crinkle Cookies are always a huge hit and doubling it makes about 60 in one batch so they're nice for a swap, and they ship well too! I feel like when I make them I use Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder because that's how I roll. It always makes things taste a bit "fancier" or something. 

I'm partial to snickerdoodles, so that would get my vote for a cookie swap.  If it's a Christmas-themed event, you can sprinkle the tops with a cinnamon sugar mix that has red and green sugars to give it that holiday 'flair'.  (Now I want something cinnamon-flavored.)

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I'm partial to snickerdoodles, so that would get my vote for a cookie swap.  If it's a Christmas-themed event, you can sprinkle the tops with a cinnamon sugar mix that has red and green sugars to give it that holiday 'flair'.  (Now I want something cinnamon-flavored.)

Thank you! Love the colored sugar idea. Festive.

• Love 1

Back in my cookie-baking days, this was the cookie most requested from, well, everyone.  It's easy.  And really good.

http://madaboutmaida.blogspot.com/2011/12/mulattoes.html

I left out the nuts because too many people don't like them.  

Now, I bring these with me to any party.  Also really easy.  And really good.  And no actual baking!

http://mhbakeoff.blogspot.com/2011/06/alfred-knopf-peanut-butter-candy.html

I've never make anything from a Maida Heatter cookbook that wasn't spectacular.

• Love 4

Both Pillsbury & Betty Crocker post a new cookie recipe each day between around Thanksgiving (this year it was November 25th) through at least Christmas if not New Year's.

The recipes are posted at the links below, & you can also sign up to get them Emailed to you--& they don't send you Emails about anything else the rest of the year (at least Pillsbury doesn't; this is the 2nd year I've gotten theirs & the only time I heard from them between last year's final recipe & this year's first was in an email announcing this year's recipes were about to start).

https://www.pillsbury.com/holidays-celebrations/christmas/cookie-countdown

http://www.bettycrocker.com/menus-holidays-parties/mhplibrary/seasonal-ideas/24-days-of-cookies

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Ever since I was a kid, it's been chocolate chip for me--and they need to be crunchy, not soft.  A close second are Black & White's (but I'm fussy...I want some crunch to them, not cake-y).  Good thing I'm a PITA fussy big kid re: cookies or I'd be eating them all the time.

Chocolate chip cookies (homemade) are my favorite (I don't eat a lot of cookies, so there wasn't much competition, but they're still the hands-down winner), but they must be soft.  Crunchy, I'll just walk away; that texture ruins the cookie for me.

• Love 2

I'm not a big cookie person (and definitely no chocolate chip) but I do love me some oatmeal sans raisin. And I also got the best cookies from Fresh Market last week. Almond pillow cookies! They were amazing I paid $5 for 10 cookies and ate 8 of them in about 15 minutes. 

@annzeepark914 - was just given a sample of Chips Ahoy thins - they were pretty good and completely crisp.  They also has a cinnamon sugar variety which I thought was better than the chocolate chip.

@callie lee 29 - I go to Fresh Market when I visit my Mom (none near me),  The bakery is very good and their croissants have ruined all other grocery store bakery croissants for me. 

Edited by DeLurker
Because my spelling stinks before coffee
  • Love 2

I love chocolate chip cookies. I make a double batch of cookies, roll them out and freeze them, so we can pop a few in the oven and have warm cookies anytime we want. It's cheap, delicious and we eat far fewer because we are baking them off so few at a time rather than  all at once.

Edited by biakbiak

Chocolate chip cookies with toffee bits are my favorite homemade treat, although I'm very partial to holiday spices in cookies-molasses, etc.  I tried these out for Christmas this year and they were a hit!

Honey Spice Cookies

For storebought, it's Oreo Thins or Pepperidge Farm Geneva cookies.  I am also obsessed with the Stroopwafel United Airlines serves you on their morning flights.  YUM!!

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:14 AM, larapu2000 said:

For storebought, it's Oreo Thins or Pepperidge Farm Geneva cookies.  I am also obsessed with the Stroopwafel United Airlines serves you on their morning flights.  YUM!!

Ooooh, stroopwafel is whole new level lol

I work at a company that has a parent company in Netherlands. Every time our management travels there, or upper management travels here we get stroopwafles as a treat/souvenir.

World Market sells them too, different brand though. Still good to cover a cup with a hot beverage and enjoy steamed gooey filling. YUMMM 

Edited by vavera4ka

I live in a heavily Dutch area, so all the talk of stroopies makes me laugh.  They have been available in the local grocery stores for twenty years, at least.

A cookie I would like to find is the Nutter Butter wafer.  Nabisco's product locator says they are at my usual grocery store, but I haven't seen them there in years.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

<Small voice> What's a stroopwafel? </SV>

A delicious Dutch concoction of a cookie, where the cookies are made in a waffle press (think waffle cone imprint) or another decorative cookie iron, and then sandwiched together with a cinnamon flavored caramel.  The caramel gets a little solid, so you place your stroopwafel atop your hot beverage of choice for a few minutes, and the heat/steam from the beverage soften the caramel to the perfect consistency.  

These are the brand United Airlines serves:  (The only kind I've had, other than the homemade versions I've been trying to perfect)

Stroopwafel!

6 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

A delicious Dutch concoction of a cookie, where the cookies are made in a waffle press (think waffle cone imprint) or another decorative cookie iron, and then sandwiched together with a cinnamon flavored caramel.  The caramel gets a little solid, so you place your stroopwafel atop your hot beverage of choice for a few minutes, and the heat/steam from the beverage soften the caramel to the perfect consistency.  

These are the brand United Airlines serves:  (The only kind I've had, other than the homemade versions I've been trying to perfect)

Stroopwafel!

Ooooh, that sounds YUMMY! Thank you for the link, too!

16 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

The ones World Market carries also come with honey. And (I think I have seen those too) with maple syrup.

Speaking of... Those maple leaf shaped cookie sandwiches.... damn those are delish!

Oh, those are really good! I get the Trader Joe's brand. 

• Love 1

I was watching an old episode of Johnny Carson's show on Antenna TV last night. George Carlin was on a he did a set of jokes about cookies in grocery stores since his whole bit was about grocery shopping. It made me think of this thread.

He mentioned local cookies with names like John's Cookies that don't taste good and how the not so tasty cookies were the ones always left on the shelves. Then that he wouldn't want to try a line that had 69 flavors if it took 68 to get it right. The funniest to me was him joking that the Mallomars couldn't make it through the door because people were waiting for them off the truck.  I think the episode was from 77'. Were Mallomars really popular then?

Mallomars for a long time were available only from September through March. If they're not always available, that would account for some of the craziness about them. I haven't bought them for a long time, so the seasonal aspect may have changed. Maybe PTVers who buy them regularly could let us know?

I'm in Canada. I recall as a child hearing characters on American tv talk about Mallomars and wondering what they were.  The first time I ate thought "What in the hell is all the fuss?"

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:10 PM, Jaded said:

The funniest to me was him joking that the Mallomars couldn't make it through the door because people were waiting for them off the truck.  I think the episode was from 77'. Were Mallomars really popular then?

Back then, if you smoked some weed & had the munchies they were.  ;)

• Love 1

And I also got the best cookies from Fresh Market last week. Almond pillow cookies! They were amazing I paid $5 for 10 cookies and ate 8 of them in about 15 minutes.

I haven't tried the Almond ones, but I love their Raspberry Pillow Cookies.  (Also, not a cookie, but I love to buy their peach loaf cake or their cranberry orange loaf cake when I can find it on sale.)  I don't get to buy from there very often, because there's no Fresh Market near me and I only find myself near one about twice a year. 

My favorite item at Fresh Market: Duke's Mayonnaise. It's the best ever.

Cookie: chocolate chip cookies, specifically the ones I make from the Flour bakery cookbook. Hands down the best choc chip cookie recipe for chewy cookies.

Edited by MargeGunderson
22 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

My favorite item at Fresh Market: Duke's Mayonnaise. It's the best ever.

not cookie related, but if you live in the area where you have access to Easter European products try mayo from Russia or Ukraine. You'll never go back. It's more of an aioli texture and flavor