Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Cookie!

• Start Topic

There are way too many to make a poll, so just list and discuss!  Since there are so many, let's try to limit it to 5 total - however you want to go about it.

My answers:  This is hard, so I'm going to limit my answer to 3 "basic" type cookies for home made and 2 for store bought/packaged brand. (you don't have have to select yours this way).

For home made, I do love the good ol' Chocolate Chip cookie.  I make mine with dark chocolate chips, yum!  I also love Oatmeal Scotchies!  And third.... (why did I limit myself to 3?) maybe Nut Ball cookies?  

For store bought/name brand I do still like Oreos - regular or double-stuffed and Girl Scout Peanut Butter Patties.

Homemade: 1) chocolate chip with pecans and sea salt sprinkled on top, 2) pumpkin cookies (they are more like little cakes, in a way), and 3) oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Store bought: 1) Pinwheels, 2) Oreo Double Stuf, and 3) Thin Mints.

• Love 2

I created my own recipe for gingerbread cookies, which are really molasses/spice cookies. The spices are just exactly the way I like them. So to me, they are perfect.

I also love chocolate chip cookies and snickerdoodles, plus the Samoas and Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies.

• Love 2

Any Oreo - minus some of the new concoctions (watermelon? NO!)...but the Lemon? Delish! As are the Chocolate Creme, Original, Golden Oreo, Double Stuff, Cool Mint, you get the idea!

Homemade? Chocolate Chip! Duh! But Peanut Butter are also made of awesome.

ETA: And how could I forget the Girl Scout Cookies?! Give me the Tagalongs (PB/Chocolate) and no one gets hurt! Also love Caramel Delites - formerly called Samoas.

• Love 1

Having this question posed has made me realize I am not much of a cookie person.  I know I've tried an Oreo (yuck) and something from Keebler that had chocolate drizzles on it (so-so), but otherwise I think the only "store bought" cookies I've had are the Girl Scout thin mints (very tasty).

As for homemade, I really only eat chocolate chip (which I absolutely love in many forms, but my favorite recipe is still the Nestle Toll House one) and then sometimes decorated sugar cookies at Christmas.  I make peanut butter cookies for my dad (from his mother's recipe) every Christmas - as an homage to when I used to leave them out for Santa - and I eat some dough while I'm arranging them and a few cookies hot out of the oven as I'm baking them, but then I never touch them after that.

• Love 1

I like Cowboy cookies for homemade - chocolate chip, oatmeal, and nuts, coconut optional (I use it).  Keeps you powered up a long time. But I'll never turn down a regular choc chip or oatmeal, with or without raisins.   Or a snickerdoodle. Or a sugar cookie. Or a ginger snap.  Or.....well, you get the idea.

• Love 2

I love cookies! This list could be long if I let myself ramble. I like cookie experimenting & combining, but rarely do now because we're gluten free & it's a different way to bake & honestly I don't enjoy it as much. If I did though I would need to give cookies away because I could eat sweets until I made myself sick. It's a weakness, a sweet, delicious weakness.

Homemade: chocolate chip, ginger snap or molasses & peanut butter with chocolate chips added. I also like oatmeal with chocolate chips. I guess I like chocolate chips in lots of things.

Since we're gluten free so most store bought are out, although Udi's & Enjoy Life are pretty good, but before going GF: Oreos, I love them & maybe should just list them three times, Oreos, Oreos, Oreos! I'll add Orange Milanos & Thin Mints.

My sister is an amazing cookie baker, so I rarely bother, since I can just snag some of hers. I can bake good ones, too, but with just me at my place, it doesn't make sense. Plus, I can bake a cake (minus the baking) in the time it takes to bake one sheet of cookies, and I'm lazy that way.

That said, my favorite cookies of hers are oatmeal raisin, which I rarely get because my dad doesn't like raisins in cookies. (Weirdo. lol) I also love her lemon bars, crossface crinkles, and peanut butter cookies.

I'd also give high marks to a family recipe we have for a sour cream cookie. They're really soft and pretty much WILL not get hard. (One negative is that they'll stick together in the cookie jar.) They're great because they're basically a plain, sweet cookie, so you can do tons of variations with adding cocoa or different inclusions.

I've never had a store-bought cookie I thought was worth buying again, tbh.

• Love 1

I'd also give high marks to a family recipe we have for a sour cream cookie. They're really soft and pretty much WILL not get hard. (One negative is that they'll stick together in the cookie jar.) They're great because they're basically a plain, sweet cookie, so you can do tons of variations with adding cocoa or different inclusions.

Okay ... I grew up in your part of the country and my mom has the most awesome sour cream cookie recipe ever. I'd say we should compare notes, but I'd probably really need to talk to your sister. Those and my Mom's pumpkin cookies are both very soft and not-quite-cakey. If I make a batch of either, I eat them all. They are absolutely heavenly. And both varieties stick together in the cookie jar and to the cookie jar itself.

• Love 1

Well, my cookie recipe came on the train from Iowa with my grandma - she was a war bride - but here ya go. :-)

Mix in order:

2 c. sugar

1 c. butter (you can substitute margarine, but they're better if you don't)

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 c. sour cream

4 1/2 c. flour (substitute 3/4 c. cocoa for the same amount of flour for chocolate cookies)

Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

• Love 2

Mom's recipe has 3 eggs, no baking powder, and 1/2 cup less flour. Otherwise it's the same, Photo Fox.

What intrigues me is the baking powder- that's a structural element, yet one recipe has it and the other doesn't. I might bake your version just to see how much difference it makes.

As far as homemade cookies go, you can't beat the recipe on the bag of chocolate chips. It doesn't matter what brand you buy; they all have basically the same recipe. But it's even better when you use all butter and all light brown sugar, or half white and half dark brown. I also make some triple ginger cookies that are excellent--candied ginger, powdered ginger, and grated fresh ginger. I've almost never had a homemade cookie I didn't like, though.

For the store-bought kind, I like Oreos--original flavor only, though. And Thin Mint and Caramel Delite Girl Scout Cookies. (Why was the Samoas name changed---not PC?) Nabisco's gingersnaps are good, but they used to be better. I think they've taken out some of the ginger, because they're milder than they used to be.

• Love 1

I've never been a big fan of chocolate chip cookies. I don't hate them, but they're not something I ever really crave. I'm not all that into cookies anyway and tend to eat the more plain ones when I do have some.

For homemade, I love oatmeal cookies (no raisins or chocolate in them), and just plain sugar cookies or butter cookies. Also, I love my mom's peanut butter cookies, (just the old classic recipe everyone makes).

For store bought cookies, Walkers Shortbread cookies are my favorite. Some Pepperidge Farm cookies are good too, (Chessman, Geneva, and Dark Chocolate Milano).

• Love 2

I like chocolate chip cookies, but my favorite is brownies.  I also like date bars (which I only make around Christmas).  I don't  like most store bought cookies, but I do like  Tate's Bake Shop cookies, but they're kind of pricey, so I don't do it too often.

• Love 1

My favorite to bake are Noah Bedoah's:

http://dessert.food.com/recipe/noah-bedoahs-chocolate-chip-shortbread-cookies-322175

That it takes two sticks of butter to make 16 cookies says it all.

In my first little apartment, I used to buy the Pillsbury slice and bake chocolate chip cookies and barely bake six of them on a piece of foil in my toaster oven then eat them with a fork.

Otherwise, you know those soft sugar cookies the grocery stores put near the checkout lines with frosting and sprinkles coordinated to whatever holiday is nearest?  Yeah, I love those.  Don't know why.

• Love 3

I love chocolate chip cookies, ginger snaps, sugar cookies and peanut butter cookies.  For store bought, Milanos, Oreos (although, I may be the only person in the world who doesn't separate them and eat the cream first) and Animal Crackers (do those count?).  Also, Thin Mints and Savannah Smiles. 

One cookie that I haven't had since I was a kid is my mom's chocolate no-bake cookies.  I don't make them now because they are so finicky.  Cook them too long, they crumble, not enough and they are gooey--it's like an exact science.  I've tried other recipes for the same kind of cookie, but none have tasted as good as moms. 

• Love 1

Yes, I have! And they get rave reviews. It helps that I also added Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips to the brownies. I've been thinking of trying this technique with vanilla wafers and preserves or with graham crackers (or teddy grahams) and marshmallows (instead of the Oreos and peanut butter). Lots of ideas on how to stack and stuff.

I love cookies. Homemade chocolate chip that are crispy and chewy are the best. For a special occasion I love Italian rainbow cookies but they're a bitch to make so we usually get them from a bakery.

As for store bought, I recently discovered lemon Oreos and biscoff cookies, so I'm a little obsessed. Yum. But I wouldn't turn down a thin mint or a double chocolate Milano either.

• Love 1

I'm one of those weirdos who think that things can get too sweet, so I wasn't too impressed with the peanut butter brownie oreos.  Lemon oreos sound delicious--I'll have to look for them.  I like my chocolate chip cookies chewy. 

• Love 1

I like chocolate chip cookies and I found an interesting recipe where you add a cup of Bob's Museili to the batter. It adds some pretty subtle texture, which works, as I'm not a fan of oatmeal. I also like to make shortbread and eat that with ice cream.

Two other cookie recipes I like are from Giada DeLaurentiis. One is chocolate chip-toffee-hazelnut, which makes a TON and the other is for chocolate/cornmeal wafer sandwiches with an orange-cream filling. I don't make them too often because both recipes are a bit labor intensive and hazelnuts around here are EXPENSIVE.

For packaged cookies, I like the ones from Pepperidge Farm that are butter cookies with a dollop of apricot-raspberry jelly on top (can't think of the name.) I also like a European cookie called Le Petit Escolier. They are butter cookies with the top dipped in either milk or dark chocolate with a little school boy imprinted on top. I'm having a hard time finding them at my local grocery stores.

• Love 2

Homemade: 1) chocolate chip with pecans and sea salt sprinkled on top, 2) pumpkin cookies (they are more like little cakes, in a way), and 3) oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Store bought: 1) Pinwheels, 2) Oreo Double Stuf, and 3) Thin Mints.

I like Cowboy cookies for homemade - chocolate chip, oatmeal, and nuts, coconut optional (I use it). Keeps you powered up a long time. But I'll never turn down a regular choc chip or oatmeal, with or without raisins. Or a snickerdoodle. Or a sugar cookie. Or a ginger snap. Or.....well, you get the idea.

emma765, your choc-chip with pecan and sea salt cookies sound amazing! Do you have a recipe.

harrie do you have a recipe for the Cowboy cookies? What kind of nuts do you use?

As for my favorites, for home-made you can't go past the Nestle Tollhouse recipe. I like using the base and experimenting with the fillings, one of my favorites is using a block of Whittaker's coconut milk chocolate in place of the choc chips. I also like snickerdoodles and oatmeal cookies.

As for store brought, I love Caramel Crowns and Butternut Snaps

Edited by JacquelineLHope
  • Love 1

Here, JacquelineLHope -  Cowboy Cookies

For nuts, I usually use walnuts or pecans, but almost anything would work.  As for the egg issue the recipe mentions, if my eggs are regular-size or smaller, I use two; if they're really large, I use one.  (I get eggs from a local guy, and their sizes can really vary.)   Upthread a little, grisgris mentioned putting muesli in the batter; that would work instead of oatmeal if you want to try something different.  I've used granola in a pinch, and it worked fine - the cookie was just extra lumpy.  I've seen variations that use crisped rice cereal (aka Rice Krispies-TM), so if you like the recipe and make it more than once, you can definitely mess around with it.  

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1

I hate making cookies. I love measuring out all the ingredients and mixing everything in the proper order, but then comes the 'scooping the dough out onto the cookie sheets and baking them one sheet at a time' part and oh god life is too short for this. Which doesn't mean I don't make them, because when you have no money and a lot of time baked goods are the ultimate Christmas gift. Every year I make Andes mint chip cookies and chai snickerdoodles, which are just like regular snickerdoodles except instead of using cinnamon sugar in the dough and to roll them in you use sugar and chai spices (cinnamon, clove, caradmom, nutmeg, and a pinch of black pepper, in the case of the recipe I use) and all your relatives go "holy crap what did I just put in my mouth and can I have more." At the first family gathering after the first time I made them, my mother did a Starbucks run with my teenage cousin. My cousin ordered a chai latte, and Mom commented that she didn't know that Cousin was a chai fan, and that was something we had in common. The response: "I didn't know I was either until Tabby made those cookies for Christmas. She's making them again, right?" So yeah, that's kind of an obligation now.

Edited by Tabbyclaw
  • Love 4

but then comes the 'scooping the dough out onto the cookie sheets and baking them one sheet at a time' part and oh god life is too short for this.

For me, it's cupcakes.  At least cookie dough is firm.  Trying to drop liquid into all of those cups is so messy and tedious!

The cowboy cookies sound like what a friend of mine calls "everything but the kitchen sink" cookies.  They're pretty good. 

• Love 2

One cookie that I haven't had since I was a kid is my mom's chocolate no-bake cookies.  I don't make them now because they are so finicky.  Cook them too long, they crumble, not enough and they are gooey

So you're cooking your mom's no-bake cookies.  I think I see the problem.............................

• Love 2

One cookie that I haven't had since I was a kid is my mom's chocolate no-bake cookies.  I don't make them now because they are so finicky.  Cook them too long, they crumble, not enough and they are gooey

So you're cooking your mom's no-bake cookies.  I think I see the problem.............................

lol!  Right. Sorry--you don't bake them, but you do have to cook the batter on the stove top for a precise amount of time after it starts to boil.  Mess that up by a minute and you're pretty much screwed. 

• Love 1

Store bought- Milanos. Girl Scout samoas. And Oreos.

Homemade- oatmeal raisin. Chocolate chip. And kolachke w/ apricot filling.

Samoas are by far my favorite girl scout cookies, though in our area they call them something different, but they're the same thing with a different name.

Samoas are by far my favorite girl scout cookies, though in our area they call them something different, but they're the same thing with a different name.

Probably Caramel Delites. I've seen the boxes, some with the old name, some with the new. I think the Girl Scouts organization is trying to phase the Samoas name out.

I was going through some long-forgotten recipes the other day and found an old favorite cookie recipe. It was from a Chicago Tribune that I picked up in 1992 on a business trip. It's for cookies that are light chocolate (you use only 1 oz. for the entire batch) with oats (I like them in this particular cookie!) white chocolate chips, macadamia nuts and dried apricots.

Sounds like a good autumn snack... and "healthy" too.  ;)

• Love 2

As requested in another thread, here's the recipe for Dorothy's Sour Cream Cookies:

2 cups sugar

2 sticks butter

3 eggs

1 tsp baking soda

4 cups flour

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup sour cream

Cream sugar and butter; add eggs one at a time. Add dry ingredients gradually. Stir in vanilla and sour cream.

Grease pan slightly. Bake at 325 degrees until very slightly brown on top. Watch closely. Do not overbake. You can ice the cooled cookies with powdered sugar icing, but they are good plain.

• Love 1

My Hungarian grandmother made these Cream Cheese Cookies every Christmas. My mom then made these cream cheese cookies.  Now I make these cream cheese cookies. Super simple recipe, but it takes a little patience to make the fillings and to cut out the squares and fold them into the shape.  The only problem with them is that I eat the entire goddamn batch in only a few days if I'm not careful.

I included three links because the first one links to an awesome authentic Hungarian recipe site, the second one has a pretty picture, and last one has a pretty picture and a bunch of comments should anybody be interested in what the internet has to say about it.

Cream Cheese Cookies with Lekvar Filling

This Hungarian Cookie is so easy to make. It has a delicate cheese flavor that contrasts with the tart Lekvar filling. Alway made for Christmas.

Regards, June Meyer.

1 16 oz. brick of Cream Cheese
    1 cup of butter, softened
    2 cups of flour

Blend in bowl with a wire pastry blender until dough forms together.
Roll out like pie crust on a lightly floured surface. Cut in 2 X 2 inch squares.
Put a dab of Apricot or Prune Lekvar in the middle of square.
Take up two of the opposite corners and bring the two corners together with a squeeze over the dab of Lekvar.

Note: If you have a pie crust trimmer with a crimped wheel, you can use this to cut all the 2 X 2 squares. It makes a beautiful presentation. All the pastry edges have serrated edges.

Bake on a buttered and floured cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Do not let burn.

Dust with Powdered Sugar.

APPRICOT -OR- PRUNE LEKVAR

1 lb. of dried Apricots -OR- pitted dried Prunes
    water to just cover
    1 cup of sugar

It is easy to make the fruit filling for Kipfels and filled cookies. Take a pound of dried fruit, either apricots or prunes, and put them in a sauce pan to cover with water and set them on the stove to cook. Do not let all the water evaporate or the Lekvar will burn.
Add a little more water to keep this from happening. Once the fruit is soft add to the fruit one cup of sugar and further cook until thick. Remove from pot and puree with a food mill or a cuisinart. The puree will should be thick, not runny. If it is runny, cook till it is thick. Ladle the puree into pint sized freezer bags. These bags can be frozen until you need them or used right away. By cutting off a small corner, the bag now becomes a pastry bag which can be used to squeeze the puree onto the kipfel before it is rolled or folded up. This saves a lot of time and mess. You will want to make both prune and apricot. You will have some filling left over that be kept frozen until you need it. Then just cut off the corner of the plastic pouch and you are ready to go.

Lekvar is also used as fillings for cookies.

• Love 1

Hmm, I'm not huge cookie person, I actually do not like chocolate chip cookies unless they are literally straight out of the oven. I've burnt my mouth before they're still hot. I want the chips to be melty.

I do like a spice cookie I make. Store bought, it this cheap oatmeal cookie that I can't remember the name of. It's a hard, not soft cookie. I also like Mallomars, but I only eat the marshmallow part, so I don't think that counts. I do like Tagalongs, but only the old version with the proper ratio of peanut butter to cookie. They've screwed it up and it's not the same now.

Keebler used to have a cookie, Magic Middles. Those were good.

As far as homemade cookies go, you can't beat the recipe on the bag of chocolate chips. It doesn't matter what brand you buy; they all have basically the same recipe. But it's even better when you use all butter and all light brown sugar, or half white and half dark brown.

I had a cookie cookbook from Mrs Fields, and her recipe is almost identical to the Tollhouse one.   I know that using all brown sugar makes the cookies chewier, all white makes them crispier.   But Mrs Fields had one difference -  she uses twice the amount of vanilla.  Not only in choc chip cookies, but in most of the cookie recipes,she uses  twice the vanilla of comparable recipes.   

I have a good recipe for butter cookies, when i get back to my home computer I'll add it.  Simple and wonderful, and not too sweet. 

• Love 1

And Thin Mint and Caramel Delite Girl Scout Cookies. (Why was the Samoas name changed---not PC?)

Probably Caramel Delites. I've seen the boxes, some with the old name, some with the new. I think the Girl Scouts organization is trying to phase the Samoas name out.

There are 2 approved cookie bakers for Girl Scouts of the USA: ABC and Little Brownie. The names you see in your area depends on where your local council buys their cookies. One of them uses descriptive names (Caramel Delights, PeanutButter Parries, etc.) and the other uses more fanciful names (Samoas, Tagalongs, etc.).

For me, it's cupcakes. At least cookie dough is firm. Trying to drop liquid into all of those cups is so messy and tedious!

I use spring-loaded scoops for everything--a regular ice cream scoop helps control cupcake batter, and a little 1" scoop is awesome for dropped cookies!

As for my own cookie preferences...well, I've rarely met a cookie I didn't like :) My favorite cookie to make is an oatmeal base/chip/fruit combo I bastardized from a recipe in one of the Goldie Sholtz books. I use either dark chocolate and dried cherries, or white chocolate and cranberry-raisins. I love raisins in all incarnations, so regular oatmeal cookies are not worth talking about unless they have raisins! And my mom used to make the most delicious chocolate-walnut wafers at Christmas that I get a craving for every few years, even though a) they are extremely fiddly, requiring chilling, balling, rolling in sugar and flattening, and b) I am now allergic to walnuts--they're not quite the same without the walnut half on top!

For mass-produced, Orange Milanos FTW!! Those Lemon Oreos are indeed tasty, but I also love the Cookie Dough Oreos as well, though they are hard to find.

Edited by Lovecat

Amaretti!  I also like sugar cookies and good ol' chocolate chip.

ETA: Do macarons (NOT macaroons as much) count as cookies?  Whoopie pies?  A local cupcake shop recently started selling cookies - both regular and sandwich.  They're best when you stick it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds because it goes from crunchy to more chewy.  And the filling in the sandwich cookies soften just enough that they ooze out... :) MMMMMMMM!!!

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1

I don't eat sweets so Im not a big cookie person. That was until a few years ago when I found a spectacular cookie recipe on Pinterest.These go like candies when I make them and since I'd ideally like to get back into shape before thinking of expanding my family anymore these cookies are not being made this year.

I have no idea what they are called but you make a pretty basic chocolate dough recipe, refrigerate, stir together egg white in one bowl, chopped pecans in another. Roll the dough into balls, dip in the egg white, then coat with the pecans. Bake. When they are done baking use a spoon to make an indention in the top of the cookie where you place a baking, softer type caramel (not a Worthers Original) inside. Bake again until the caramel is lightly liquified.OMG! party in your mouth!

• Love 1

I'd never tried Pepperidge Farm cookies before. They've always been kind of pricey and fattening, but recently I gave in. I can only have one at a time (for the reasons mentioned), but their Cinnamon Bun cookies are unreal. Soft, rich, buttery, sweet and dotted with white chocolate chips. Delicious.

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 2

I'd never tried Pepperidge Farm cookies before. They've always been kind of pricey and fattening, but recently I gave in. I can only have one at a time (for the reasons mentioned), but their Cinnamon Bun cookies are unreal. Soft, rich, buttery, sweet and dotted with white chocolate chips. Delicious.

I really did not need to know that, but thanks! Off to add to the Target list.......

• Love 1

Store bought:

Oreo cookies, regular or Double Stuf (but the only the white cream kind--I know the Holiday-themed kinds generally taste the same, but I just don't like them--and the new flavored kinds? Forget it.), Pepperidge Farm gingerbread cookies, Chips Ahoy!, Lorna Doones, and Thin Mints (I like Samoas, too, but Thin Mints are the number one Girl School Cookie for a REASON. Also, I do like Trefoils).

Homemade:

Chocolate Chip cookies, Molasses cookies (those of you who haven't had them, you must-- the best cookie in the world, by far. Not the chewiest cookie in the world that first bite, but SO worth it!). and peanut butter cookies are okay. Sugar cookies are of the Devil. DO. NOT. WANT. And while I like M&M's, keep them out of my cookies!

One thing I also like are chocolate chip cookie cakes. I don't like cake as much as I used to, so when my birthday rolls around I generally have a chocolate chip cookie cake nowadays. Mrs. Fields makes great ones with frosting on top, but I'm hoping to make one of my own soon, too. 

Edited by UYI