Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Prodigal Son Returns

My take on Laurie is that she "wished" her fetus away, and the realization of that sent her over the edge. I can imagine if I were in her shoes I'd be not only wracked by the guilt but I'd also worry about the other people I love. After all if I can wish one away, why not others? So perhaps her leaving her family was her way (in her mind) of protecting them? I know she could have just left, instead of joining the GR, but perhaps we'll see more about what went into that decision in the next season.

• Love 4

It isn't poor storytelling, as there are many different was to tell a story, it's just different.

I agree completely. Indeed the function of story-telling is one of the show's themes. Using language to compose narratives is a major way humans articulate meaning. In The Leftovers a huge event has happened for which no one has yet concocted a fulfilling narrative--a reason the show's own story-telling is fragmented and even incoherent at times. Likewise, human feelings and motivations are often mysterious even to those experiencing them. Laurie's profession, psychotherapy, empowers her to listen to their unsatisfactory attempts to convey their inner turmoil and finally come back to them with a fuller and more logical story. (Freud called it "the talking cure.") Her patients present her with Lindelof and Perrotta's narrative, if you will, and she recasts it into something that might make ganesh happy.

When the Sudden Departure occurs, and she experiences it in such a visceral way, she must certainly laugh bitterly at all those coherent narratives she laid upon people feeling the utter emotional vertigo that she now feels. No wonder she gravitated to a group that doesn't talk and thus eliminates even the possibility of story-telling.

• Love 7

"We made them remember"

What a crock.  There's no evidence that people don't remember or aren't still grieving in some moments here and there.  GR appointed themselves some arbiter of how to observe loss.  If that is what the book is about, that's stupid too.

I don't buy that the angry mob would spontaneously assemble and decide to burn down the GR homes, punch out every GR member they can find.

The angry mob did not "spontaneously assemble".

The creepy dolls were discovered in the morning, but the burning and the beating up didn't occur until dark. The anger percolated and built up all day. Maybe those with the creepy dolls thought they were the only targets, maybe they sat there in stunned silence for while, maybe they called a couple friends and they ruminated together about what assholes the GRs are.

But as the day went on, and more angry people got together, the rage built up. Not everyone is inclined to violence, not everyone is vengeance-oriented. It took all day for enough angry people to get together and take it out on the GR.

• Love 4

What a crock.  There's no evidence that people don't remember or aren't still grieving in some moments here and there.  GR appointed themselves some arbiter of how to observe loss.  If that is what the book is about, that's stupid too.

Yes, it is a crock, but completely realistic. We see examples of this type of thing all the time. There are banal examples like the neighborhood busybody who is the self-appointed HOA hall monitor, deciding that the way she has interpreted the rules is the one and only right way, and reporting anyone who disagrees with her. And there are more troubling examples, like members of this or that religion pontificating and passing judgement on those they deem to be not pious enough, not observant enough, or what have you. They have elected themselves the moral authority on what are and are not acceptable demonstrations of faith, and based on that they feel they are allowed to single out those they decide are not living up to their standards and hold them up as bad examples. 

It's the same thing with the GR. They have decided that the way they've chosen to deal with the aftermath of the Sudden Departure is the only acceptable alternative, and anything that deviates from that is unacceptable.

• Love 4

I hate to keep raising the specter of Lost, but since this show is from the same writer, it's unfortunately unavoidable. I'm sure there are lots of Lost fans who thought it didn't "matter" what the secret of the island really was because they were satisfied just watching the characters interact with one another. I was not one of those people though.

Regarding that particular Lost answer, I think it's not a matter of the answer not being given, but a matter of people not liking what the answer was or thinking the answer was not explained in enough detail.  From Lost episode 6.05:

BOY IN BLACK: What's down there?

MOTHER: Light. The warmest, brightest light you've ever seen or felt. And we must make sure that no one ever finds it.

BOY IN BLACK: It's beautiful...

MOTHER: Yes it is. And that's why they want it. Because a little bit of this very same light is inside of every man. But they always want more.

JACOB: Can they take it?

MOTHER: No. But they would try. And if they tried they could put it out. And if the light goes out here... it goes out everywhere.

I think that bit of dialog explained, in a very straightforward way, what the secret of the island was.  That light could be harnessed for good or evil, as we saw many characters do (or try to do) throughout the show.  When the Boy in Black became the Man in Black he stated several times he wanted to destroy the island, ergo, the light would go out everywhere and that meant the world, as we know it, would end.

Now, one can say that in one's opinion that explanation is stupid.  One can say "so, it was all "magic", after all...LAME!".  One can say that's not enough of an explanation, and that one wants to know exactly how this light business works (if it's particles that one can inhale or if it's purely an electromagnetic concentration, etc.).  But one can NOT say that the secret of the island was never revealed, because it was.

To bring it back to The Leftovers, there's one fundamental difference. When we met the Lost characters they had just established contact with the mysterious island and of course THEY were looking for explanations, so, we, as viewers wanted those explanations too.  When we meet the Leftover characters, three years have passed since the Departure took place; they are no longer looking for answers, they are dealing with the fact that there may never be an answer (amongst other things).  The first few minutes we saw people reacting to disappearances but none of those people were our main characters, we saw Matt, but he wasn't even aware that people had disappeared, all he knew was that he had been in a horrible accident and his wife was badly hurt.  It's only much later that we see where our characters were in the immediate hours before the Departure and their reactions to it.

That is a very clear narrative choice that shows what the creators think is important and what story they are choosing to tell. It's not a show focused on explaining the mystery of the disappearances, it's a show focused on how we deal with loss, faith and uncertainty.  By making this narrative choice, the creators are very specifically saying what type of story they intend to tell.  I loved Lost, but I could understand how some people were frustrated because the mysteries were present and prominent throughout the show's entire run, and in the end, more weight was given to the emotional journeys.  In the Leftovers, I don't think there's any room for confusion as to the writers' intent.  It's definitely not about the mystery, people have started accepting no explanation is forthcoming, they have stopped asking questions; this show is most definitely tilted toward the emotional arcs.

If that were not my cup of tea, I'd  bail out now, because I don't think this show will ever be about anything else.

In the same vein, I can't say it doesn't "matter" to me what happened to the departed, or it doesn't "matter" why Laurie left her family. I can't reasonably connect with any of these characters or this story if I don't know those reasons. It just seems all very superficial to me, ignoring the foundation of their existence in favor of some kind of voyeuristic peek into one specific chapter in the life of people I don't know.

Well, reasonably is also a matter of taste, I'd say.  I can connect and have connected with the characters, so it is reasonable for some.

As for the explanation of the departure, the source material, written by Perrota, not Lindelof, does not ever explain it. I haven't read the book, but this has been mentioned by several articles about the show already; before it came out and in reviews of the finale, so, it's not a big secret.  Obviously, then, Perrota's intent was to explore the human psyche in very messed up circumstances, not to explain the circumstances themselves.  So, once again, the show is not about the departure, it's about how the human race reacts to an unexplainable event of major personal consequences.  I see it this way, I have about 400 Facebook friends, and that puts me in the lower bracket of Facebook users, but if an event like the one that happened on the show happened to us now, that would mean 8 people I know would completely disappear off the face of the Earth. EIGHT!  I can't even begin to imagine how that would make me feel; and if one of those people were a close relative or friend, well..... all bets are off.

What did these characters do? well, many joined a cult, others are going crazy, others are founding cults, others are consumed by depression.... and so on.  We could say we want to see how, step by step, they ended up where they are when we meet them, three years after the event but that's not the story these writers chose to tell, and they have not been coy or shy about it, so we can say: "well, I'm not interested in watching a story like that", or "I don't like that narrative choice", but we can't say we were fooled into believing this story was about explaining the Departure and then became something else.  Or that they don't have a plan, or that they are choosing the "easy way out".  They have been extremely clear about their intent.

Pretty repulsed by the French song over the opening montage.  DL is pretty pretentious.

Edit: at the ending of the episode, a happy ending for now, you get the same spare piano music.

Pretty sure it as the same one used in one of the Lost episodes after some regular died.

Blatant emotional manipulation a la Spielburg.

I know all the Lost music by heart.  I bought Giacchino's music while the show was on.  He's an Oscar winner composer (for the movie Up), and this is not his work.  The Leftover music is composed by Max Richter.

Spielberg has lost his touch, if you ask me, he's moved well into cheese; while I don't think The Leftovers has crossed that line yet.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 5

On American TV it is.

It may not be the same piano piece from Lost but it's the same genre, mood.  DL is going to the well of what he thinks works.

If by chance the viewers start to like particular characters, he can kill them off and write some eulogy dialog again.

Someone else noted, the main male protagonist has daddy issues.  That's true isn't it.  But since Leftovers is based on a book maybe DL just gravitates to that kind of theme.

I hate to keep raising the specter of Lost, but since this show is from the same writer, it's unfortunately unavoidable. I'm sure there are lots of Lost fans who thought it didn't "matter" what the secret of the island really was because they were satisfied just watching the characters interact with one another. I was not one of those people though.

This week, while giving a library tour to a freshman class, one of them excitedly pointed out that we have all seasons of Lost on DVD and exclaimed, "I love that show!" I immediately blurted out, "Then you should watch The Leftovers, which is by the same guy; it just finished its first season." Sheesh, I'm such a wannabe TV hipster at times.

Anyway, Lost bugged me alternately that they didn't give answers, but then even more when they did, so I'm fine with not getting some answers on this show. If it gets a second season, I'll watch. If it doesn't, that's okay too.

Arriving late to the party because I just got around to watching this episode.

The GR apparently have the ability to break into tons of peoples homes and not be noticed.  They are still pathetic and have an agenda I can have no sympathy for whatsoever.

Yep. After this episode I think they moved from pathetic to pure evil. I don't why the government doesn't declare the GR to be a terrorist organization. Then they could round them up and deposit them at Guantanamo.

I wonder how the GR get along in places where there's a more active gun culture. This business of them repeatedly entering people's homes undetected is beyond unbelievable.

• Love 1

Hmm. Just binge watched the season and I found myself liking it more and more with each episode--until the finale, which I was disappointed with. First, are the police and law enforcement officials in this world purposefully written as idiotic and powerless? I feel as though each time we have seen them, they are just standing around and not doing anything. Would a cop--the chief of police no less--really just watch a guy as he bled out without first calling for some help? And then we see Kevin walking around the riots as people are beating each other up, not really intervening or anything. It's insane to me. 

Second, I thought the ending was so weird. Rather than be concerned or confused to find a baby alone on a porch, Nora just picks it up and starts smiling? Apparently, Nora is going to keep this baby? Without first trying to determine where the baby came from and why it is there? The last look between Kevin and Nora* was super creepy--I did not understand that at all. Are they going to raise the baby together? Why don't these people react to situations like normal people??

*And I say this as someone who found the Kevin and Nora relationship one of the best parts of the season.

And I also got the impression that Wayne's hug to Nora did not work in the way she or we thought it did. It temporarily took away her pain (or made her think it did), but, in the end, as she explained in the letter, she was still in pain.

Edited by Hava
  • Love 1

I think the questions concerning the baby will come, but in that moment she was just surprised by this little baby lying on Kevin's porch. I mean how often does that happen?

I also don't think these people (especially Nora) will ever react to anything normally again.

I love this show.

• Love 1

Second, I thought the ending was so weird. Rather than be concerned or confused to find a baby alone on a porch, Nora just picks it up and starts smiling? Apparently, Nora is going to keep this baby? Without first trying to determine where the baby came from and why it is there? The last look between Kevin and Nora* was super creepy--I did not understand that at all. Are they going to raise the baby together? Why don't these people react to situations like normal people??

I thought she was confused, and I could hear that in the line, 'look what I found'. Confusion, pleasure and also the shakiness of the grief she'd been dealing with. But for the moment, the pleasure of seeing a baby all gurgling and happy, overrode the confusion. It was perhaps a bit heavy-handed in its symbolism, but it worked for me as a way of showing that there is always something to live for. Honestly, I have little interest in babies so my reaction probably would be just, 'who the hell left this kid here?', but I know lots of people go nuts over them, and it would seem Nora is one such.

I think it's way to early to say she's going to keep the baby, because she literally just found it thirty seconds before the season ended. I would think they would go through all the proper procedures to try and figure out where it came from, but if Tom skipped town again, they'll have no answers at all.

As for Kevin not calling for help when he found Wayne? He was hardly in cop mode, at that moment. At the end of his tether, physically and emotionally, just poured out his heart about the guilt he's been carrying around. I think he did well to even notice there was anyone else in the bathroom.

• Love 1
I thought she was confused, and I could hear that in the line, 'look what I found'. Confusion, pleasure and also the shakiness of the grief she'd been dealing with. But for the moment, the pleasure of seeing a baby all gurgling and happy, overrode the confusion. It was perhaps a bit heavy-handed in its symbolism, but it worked for me as a way of showing that there is always something to live for.

I was wondering if the baby had inherited Wayne's hugging powers, so when Nora picked him up, she was feeling the power and it made her happy.

• Love 3

I don't buy that the angry mob would spontaneously assemble and decide to burn down the GR homes, punch out every GR member they can find.

Really?  I think  we've all seen people destroy and assault with the mob mentality for lesser offenses.  For example, when the Lakers used to win championships.  When I was watching the fires and beatings I honestly thought to myself that the GR had it coming for a loooong time.  I thought, I can't believe they waited THAT long to beat the crap out of all of them.  Breaking and entering at Christmastime?  Barely a peep about it.  So for me, it was more like FINALLLYYY!!! 

For me it was very clear by the end of the flashback episode why she joined the GR. Her unborn child vanished. She didn't choose to terminate the pregnancy, the fetus just disappeared. Some unseen force penetrated her body and took her child. No wonder she turned into a complete nut job. 

Especially since imagining that an unseen force has taken away part of your body is exactly what a schizophrenic might do. (From my understanding of schizophrenia.) Except that it actually happened. Which bears on whether Kevin Sr. (who appears to have schizophrenia) is crazy or not.

I read recently that schizophrenia is actually a disease of abnormally acute perceptions of the terrors of life and death, rather than delusion. That is, schizophrenics are driven crazy because they are less able to remain in a dream state of denial than the rest of us, who go about our daily lives blithely asleep, except in rare moments, to the certainty that we will die and stay dead for the rest of eternity. What happened on October 14 would just about guarantee an explosion in the number of people who are diagnosably schizophrenic in the society, even though their "disease" is that they are processing reality accurately to a degree that most of us won't do for fear of going crazy like them.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 4

So glad Kevin was having a dream (nightmare) because seeing Patti give him a lap dance was not fun to watch.

I thought the dream was a total waste of time. It says a lot to me about the uneven nature of this show that a genuinely moving scene (the conversation between Kevin and Matt about how Kevin went from wanting out of his family to relief none of them were departed to gradually losing them all anyway) was sandwiched between the junk of the dream sequence and the contrivance of the dying Wayne's last magical wish nonsense.

If the show would only focus on the very plausible, human moments of relatable characters feeling genuine feelings, it would be unbelievably good.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

I thought the dream was a total waste of time. It says a lot to me about the uneven nature of this show that a genuinely moving scene (the conversation between Kevin and Matt about how Kevin went from wanting out of his family to relief none of them were departed to gradually losing them all anyway) was sandwiched between the junk of the dream sequence and the contrivance of the dying Wayne's last magical wish nonsense.

If the show would only focus on the very plausible, human moments of relatable characters feeling genuine feelings, it would be unbelievably good.

I think the dream sequence was overly long, for sure. But I wouldn't say a total waste of time. I thought it served to show us a fair number of Kevin's fears, coalescing into one mess of distress.

His repeated assertions that he's "not supposed to be here" could be taken to suggest that he believes he should have been taken. He knows he wanted to leave, he knows that made him an asshole, and if being taken was a punishment, then why is he still there? Then there's the fact that he said that he needed to go home for Jill. The daughter he was considering leaving, before all this happened, the daughter who barely tolerates him and who he doesn't understand at all. But he needs to be there to look after her, even if he doesn't really know how.

I don't buy most of the supernatural theories, so I think the stuff with Kevin Sr and Ghost Pattie was more about Kevin cobbling together some sort of conspiracy between the antagonists in his life, and the desire he has for answers finally being satisfied by these people. Both Kevin Sr and Pattie seemed to think they had things figured out, and it was infuriating to Kevin that he was so lost, in comparison.

And, most obviously, Kevin is terrified that, even if he doesn't deserve to be "here", he does need to be in an asylum. He's been scared that he's losing his mind, and all the evidence points to it being the case. So I think the sequence served as a summation of everything he's been wading through during the season. But like I say, I think it would have been better to condense it a bit more.

I still think this episode had some of the most powerful moments of television I've seen in a long time. First, Kevin reading the passage from the Bible, and Justin Theroux just knocking it out of the park. Then his confession in the diner, where he was great again, and you could feel that boil of pain and guilt being lanced, while Matt looked on, feeling his pain but also being happy and proud to have helped him face it. And then Carrie C***'s reading of Nora's letter, which was just packed full of every emotion the character must have been feeling.

You rarely get television any more that is prepared to just put the camera (or microphone, in the case of the Nora monologue) on a performer and let them act, without spicing it up through action or editing. Those moments were all the more powerful because the actor's performance was the only thing going on in the scene.

• Love 3

You rarely get television any more that is prepared to just put the camera (or microphone, in the case of the Nora monologue) on a performer and let them act, without spicing it up through action or editing. Those moments were all the more powerful because the actor's performance was the only thing going on in the scene.

And this is a real problem, IMHO. We didn't learn anything new from Kevin's dream, nor was it a better expression of Kevin's fears and guilt than his simple conversation with Matt, in fact, it was far inferior. When Kevin isn't having crazy dreams or weird experiences that might be hallucinations, he is actually a compelling character. My recommendation for season 2 is that the motto "Less is More" be inscribed on the wall of the writer's room.

Dream sequences have become a lazy way for directors to show off and play games with the audience. This is not a problem unique to Leftovers, but Leftovers is a prominent offender. The dreams of TV trickery are unlike the dreams that people actually have, and also unlike real dreams in that they are a big memorable experience for the dreamer. We mostly, and wisely, forget our dreams quickly, in fact our brains seem to be wired to do this.

On 9/7/2014 at 10:26 AM, WearyTraveler said:

Well, I was trying to address this question you posed:

For me, the answer is that Patti's deal is not that people remember, she knows they remember, but in her view they are remembering "wrong".  They are still mourning when they remember their loved ones, and there are some people trying to leave it behind and move forward, moving to the acceptance stage of grieving.  Patti wants them to remember in a different light.  Not as an event that was painful to them and something to overcome, but as an event that proves that life is meaningless, and therefore, they should not move on to acceptance and continue to try to live a full life.  Patti wants them to remember the Departure as evidence of the futility of life and the final reason why they should join the GR and just give up.

If you understood it the same way, then I don't understand why you would pose that question.

Please allow me to say that I truly don't understand where you're coming from sometimes.  And I honestly don't mean this as a way to pick a fight with you, or anything. I swear.  But your comments sometimes do puzzle me.

For example: In some comments you say that you don't want the show to explain everything, but that they should explain some things, at least broadly, and that you don't need minute detailed explanations.  But then you

1) Pose questions that ask for a lot of details that, IMO, are completely minor (in relation to the overall story) or can be reasonably inferred from the show.

2) Other times you flat out state that the show hasn't specifically said something that it has said, but when someone points that out to you, you don't acknowledge that comment and instead move the goal post of your expectations to something else (usually another question you feel has not been addressed properly).

Let me illustrate number one with questions you posed just above in this thread:

Because the dolls have just become available now, because they thought of the idea only recently, because they didn't have enough money and / or members to pull it off before... why does this matter? The show has established that the GR started as a small group and that it's gaining momentum now, three years after the Departure (established in the conversation Kevin had with the FBI guy).  They have established that the GR wants people to feel life is futile, take a nihilistic view and give up on life (established by your own admission in the last episode).  And they have established that their tactics are to annoy people, get in their faces, and upset them as much as they can (established in almost every single episode that has aired).  So, this new stunt feels pretty much in their vein.  If it wasn't this, it would be something else.  Now is no different than before in terms of tactics, they are just going bigger.  The show picks up three years after the Departure, this is how much the GR has advanced in those three years, they can afford to be bolder, bigger and more annoying.

It seems pretty straightforward and clear to me, so, let me ask you: why is "why now?" important to you? what insight do you think you will gain with an explanation of this detail?

This is also asked in reference to the stunt the GR is going to pull in the finale.  Why? Because they think this will make people listen to their arguments, because it's their customary "in your face", cruel, painful approach.  One can argue it's a stupid way to go about their objective, and I'd probably agree with that view, but it's a cult, they are not characterized for being logical and rational, so, I don't require any further explanations for this.  Do you think the "why?" differs from Patti's explanation of the GR's purpose? Because that would be the only reason to ask that question.  I don't think the why of this particular stunt has an objective different from what Patti explained was the GR's goal, so, I don't need any further explanations.

Where all cults get their money: from their members. As the FBI guy explained to Kevin, they are getting bigger and bigger, with chapters in many towns.  More members = more money.  If they snagged a millionaire (and that is totally plausible), then they don't have to worry about money that much.  But my question to you is: how would it enhance the show to have this explained any further? What is it you think you will gain by knowing where the GR gets its money? Would it help with the overarching plot which is (as stated by the producers in interviews) how people deal with a catastrophic, supernatural event of worldwide ramifications and move on?

They were.  On the night of the photo robbery, Kevin arrested a bunch of GR who were "trespassing" into school grounds, which was a diversion for the real stuff (photo robbery) going on.  The FBI did tell Kevin that the GR was very good at skirting the line with the law, not really doing anything illegal, or at least not leaving any proof.  Trespassing is not going to keep them in jail, even if they could make the charges stick.  Since hey haven't been arrested for the robberies, and considering what the FBI guy said, it's reasonable to infer that they haven't been arrested for the photo robberies because the police / prosecutor can't make the charges stick.  All they have is circumstantial evidence.  Maybe some left prints behind, but unless they were already in a criminal database, those prints are not much help.

I think we have seen that Kevin wants to put them behind bars, but he can't because he has no concrete evidence.  Otherwise, he'd have hauled their asses to jail a long time ago.  I don't see a problem here.

Now, for number two, the best example that comes to mind was a discussion in one of the episode threads we had where you categorically affirmed that the show had not established that the outside world had been trying to investigate the Departure during the three years that have transpired since the event.  I pointed out that this was not true, since in the very first episode we were shown a Congressional Hearing where a witness was being asked how it was possible that after all the resources and millions devoted to the investigation they still didn't know what had happened or why.

You never replied to this information or acknowledge that the show had, in fact, established this fact, thus taking it off the list of your frustrations with the show.  You went on to ask more questions in the same vein I quoted above, about what I think are small details.  I could search the post, but I think I've made my point.

I don't want to pick on you, really, I'm just curious if you are hate watching at this point and I wonder if no matter what the show does or what we reply to you (I know others have replied in similar fashion to my own replies, but I'll limit this to my own experience) you would change your mind? Not that you have to change your mind, off course, but it's a bit frustrating not to know if we are having an open conversation where ideas and points of view are exchanged to enhance opinions or if it's just futile to have the conversation.

I don't think this show is just made of awesome.  I have, in fact, agreed with some of your statements, but it doesn't feel as if you are approaching the discussion with the same open-mindedness.  If a show annoyed me as much as this show seems to be annoying you, I'd stop watching it, life's too short to subject oneself to unpleasant experiences.  Obviously, you don't have to do the same, but the reason I'm asking you all of this is to know if it will be productive to continue to have these conversations because if you just hate the show so much and you think it doesn't have anything good and it will never get better, then, there's not much we can talk about.

Hope you're not offended.  I'm honestly just trying to understand where you're coming from and what your thought process is and I hope that we can continue to have conversations about this show and other shows.  At the very least, this one is not as bad as Falling Skies ;)

Just started watching this show... just started reading these posts... and you are amazing!!! Well put and we’ll said! Your entire post is so on point! 4 years laters, and your opinion on this negative persons outlook on a show made my night! I wish I met more people like you!!! 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, JuliesMommy said:

Just started watching this show... just started reading these posts... and you are amazing!!! Well put and we’ll said! Your entire post is so on point! 4 years laters, and your opinion on this negative persons outlook on a show made my night! I wish I met more people like you!!! 

We all have our days, don't we? It's nice to be appreciated.  Keep in mind that you will probably find many of my other posts disappointing ;-) 

• Love 1