Type keyword(s) to search

S18: Amy Purdy: Purdy Badass

• Start Topic

I admire Amy that she was concerned about performing well for the sake of her teammates.  She's a little more emotional than I expected a hardcore Olympian to be, but there's nothing wrong with that.  She's not being neurotic, she just needs a break once in a while.

And as for the reactions about her back issues, I don't even have any comments for that. The woman had to go to the hospital, her back was screwing up to the point that breathing was causing pain but apparently it being mentioned and talked about in her rehearsal package was her being manipulative and playing victim for votes.

Yeah, they couldn't NOT put that in the package.

But let me say this: Amy's rib was dislocated, which caused her back to spasm, which caused all the drama and the trip to the hospital on Monday night.  At the hospital, her rib was popped back into place and she felt much better.  She spent the following day taking it easy and administering various therapies.  According to Peta, Amy only missed one day of rehearsal.  When she came to the team rehearsal, she was "absolutely fine". 

The package portrayed Amy's injury as something very serious and ongoing, and it wasn't really.  It wasn't nearly as serious and didn't impact her rehearsal as much as Danica's broken rib.  Danica lost three days of rehearsal and then was severely limited in what she could do for the next two weeks.  The package made it look like Amy spent her whole week having to overcome the injury, and I think that was exaggerated.  Amy doesn't edit the packages, but the way she talked about the injury helped along all that dramatization.

Also, when Amy was doing her red carpet interviews, she was holding either a hot pack or a cold pack on her shoulder.  I'm giving her just a tiny bit of side eye for that.  If she had a little shoulder pain that only required a hot/cold pack, it possibly could have waited until she was finished being in front of cameras. 

• Love 1

I don't think she's faking anything, and obviously Amy isn't responsible for her rehearsal package, but I think it's fair to say that her injury is being used to manipulate the audience. I'm annoyed because my favorite, Charlie, is getting less than half the screen time so they can show us extra footage of Amy in pain, Amy in the ambulance, Amy determined to persevere. And I'm annoyed on her behalf, because I assume there's a lot more to her than the cliche of the brave little soldier she's been reduced to.

It may not be fair for people to blame her for that, but who else can viewers take it out on? We don't have the option of voting on TPTB.

I don't think she's faking either. In my experience, a back spasm can relax and the pain eases up but for several days ANYTHING can re-trigger it and you're back to square one in getting it to relax again.

I noticed George in his OTRC interviews is actually keeping track of how short Charlie's video packages are.  In fact Sharna gave George a little HooRah! that their package was slightly longer this week.

(edited)
I don't think she's faking anything, and obviously Amy isn't responsible for her rehearsal package, but I think it's fair to say that her injury is being used to manipulate the audience. I'm annoyed because my favorite, Charlie, is getting less than half the screen time so they can show us extra footage of Amy in pain, Amy in the ambulance, Amy determined to persevere. And I'm annoyed on her behalf, because I assume there's a lot more to her than the cliche of the brave little soldier she's been reduced to.

And I go back to the point I've made many times - it's an entertainment show. In other words, if they think they have something "dramatic" enough, they're going to play it up. Amy is by no means the first to have an injury be heavily focused on in her rehearsal package and will by no means be the last. There have been many dramatic rehearsal packages of different celebrities when they've gotten injured, visits to the doctor, etc.

When Derek snapped his neck in his season with Shannon, we saw the dramatic footage of when the snap happened multiple times, then had to see the dramatic moment when he was placed in the ambulance complete with Shannon holding his hand and wiping back tears. Then we had to see the moment with the doctor and then his frustration at not being able to practice the dance with her that week and the dramatic "will he dance tonight or will Jonathan have to substitute..." 

And the same thing happened when Kym had that very, very nasty moment of falling on her head in rehearsal with Hines. Again, we had to see the video footage multiple time complete with dramatic music, build-up, etc. None of this stuff is new or different for this show. And look I like Charlie as well, think he's awesome but as I've said, again because this is an entertainment show, the producers like their "storylines" and with Charlie and Sharna there isn't really a story there. He's sweet, they get along and he dances well and that's actually why I think the producers tried to give him one with the stuff about his being frustrated by his scores. I just really don't find anything so surprising or different in how Amy's injury was handled because we've seen all this before on this show, many times.

But let me say this: Amy's rib was dislocated, which caused her back to spasm, which caused all the drama and the trip to the hospital on Monday night.  At the hospital, her rib was popped back into place and she felt much better.  She spent the following day taking it easy and administering various therapies.  According to Peta, Amy only missed one day of rehearsal.  When she came to the team rehearsal, she was "absolutely fine".

The package portrayed Amy's injury as something very serious and ongoing, and it wasn't really.  It wasn't nearly as serious and didn't impact her rehearsal as much as Danica's broken rib.  Danica lost three days of rehearsal and then was severely limited in what she could do for the next two weeks.  The package made it look like Amy spent her whole week having to overcome the injury, and I think that was exaggerated.  Amy doesn't edit the packages, but the way she talked about the injury helped along all that dramatization.

Actually it was ongoing because it kept popping out of place which was explained in the package. Yes, it was popped back into place at the doctor's which was shown and Amy stating that she felt fine and everything was okay. But when she started rehearsing for the dance with Derek, a lot of the moves kept aggravating her rib which was also shown in the package when she was trying to do the back leg flip thing and some of the other moves. It doesn't have to be an either/or thing. Both injuries were real and serious in my opinion. Danica had a broken rib so she was permanently in pain because it was broken while Amy's was dislocated so when it was back in place she was fine but at the same time any movement could pop it back out of place and cause her in pain. Which I imagine is why she had the heating pad or whatever during the post show interviews because after two dances, it's likely she may have aggravated it slightly. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

And I go back to the point I've made many times - it's an entertainment show.

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes

and other science facts (la la la),

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,

I should really just relax

Yeah, I know it's just for entertainment. But that's no reason not to call out manipulation or give the participants the skunk eye now and then. They're giving us a skewed view not because they have to, but because they choose to. It's not out of line to get frustrated by that.

But I don't think it is a skewed view or it's "manipulation" or at least not in the sense that they're trying to manipulate or control the outcome. I really think it's as simple as they're producing a television show and are going to focus on things they think will make for good t.v. It's why so many pairings have gone on about having a spat for maybe 15 minutes for one rehearsal and it ends up being their entire rehearsal package, or a celebrity cries for a few minutes and that's the whole package. Anything the producers think will make for good television, they will focus on that. 

• Love 2

I'm guessing the reason Charlie gets the quest for the ten package is twofold......they are obviously doing a redemption arc for him and either they decided he's too goody goody looking for a showmance or he and/or Sharna didn't want to go that route.

Everybody gets one of several tried and true formulas for their package. Amy is getting the overcoming hardship package.

Meryl & James get showmances

Candace gets faith & family

The show seems to think showmances and injuries are more interesting than kids and scores, so they get more time.

What is supposed to be the producer's motivation for manipulation anyway? The winner doesn't get a contract. I can't imagine they are dense enough to think Derek winning yet again is going to pull in more viewers.

I doubt they care who wins, but they do skew our perception of the contestants if they only show us a very limited version of what they think makes for good tv. And that does influence the results because the show is such a popularity contest. When they practically ignore a contestant who doesn't fit into one of those few tried and true formulas, they're sending voters the message that he's not worth caring about. I don't see it as a conspiracy to give anyone the win, just as lazy, unimaginative editing.

I can't imagine they are dense enough to think Derek winning yet again is going to pull in more viewers.

Hey, they thought Abby Lee would pull in viewers - don't put it past them.

(edited)

I think she only has ballroom dances left, right? She's done all the Latin I think. Like you, when I saw the blades, I thought quickstep. Maybe Paso is her second? Samba? I don't remember her doing the samba yet.

ETA: Just looked it up. Amy is the ONLY one who hasn't done Samba yet, so that wouldn't surprise me. Another possibility I'm throwing out there is Foxtrot.

Edited by CED9

I'm super interested in how those running blades pan out. They'll definitely give her spring, but it's my understanding that they naturally sort of propel you forward - it'll be interesting to see how they work going backwards or side to side - or how precise of footwork you can get with them.

I wouldn't be surprised at a samba either, but I kind of hope not. Maybe it's just the shadow of the slightly awkward Meryl/Danica samba last week, plus the Latin night the week before, but it feels like there's been a slight over-abundance of sambas in the lineup overall.

I was actually thinking the blades might be for the Samba. The Samba is all about getting the bounce correct which requires ankle and ball-of-the-foot action which the prosthetics we've seen so far don't appear to be able to do.  I'm just guessing though.

I think you might be right, kitcloudkicker, about the blades propelling you forward. I've only ever seen them on runners (on tv). I've never actually seen them in person.

Oh my! I suddenly had a mental vision of Amy doing the quickstep in the blades and Derek chasing after her trying to catch up. Oh Me! Stop it! LOL!

• Love 1

Here's the Afterbuzz interview with Amy and Derek: 

They talk a bit about the challenges of the prosthetics they used for the quickstep. It made me even more impressed with that dance.

I think this is the crux of it for me. I DO think Amy is inspiring, 100%. I can't even imagine the determination it took for her to get where she is. And I also think that some of her dances have been inspiring and amazing this season, most notably this week's Quickstep. Her contemporary was also stunning. And that is what I wanted to see more of and I think we COULD have seen more of, but that is not the choreography Derek gave her.

I've seen lots of people mention Billy Dee as an example of someone who also had challenges but didn't get the same treatment from the judges.  For contestants with challenges, I actually think a better comparison is Valerie Harper from last season who for me personally was one of the most inspiring contestants I've ever seen on this show. Was she a good dancer? Not really and please don't misunderstand that I am trying to put Amy in the same talent category as Valerie, I am not. Amy has far more natural rhythm, much better lines and far more musicality. She is a better dancer than Valerie by far. But Valerie also had multiple challenges, particularly her knee giving out on her those last 2 weeks. But Tristan still made her dance. It wasn't quick and it wasn't always smooth or polished but she did a proper Viennese Waltz that moved across the whole floor and it was beautiful. He could have thrown in some lifts that would have been lovely and then told Carrie Ann when she mentioned it that he did it because of her bum knee but he didn't. He could have amped up the volume on the fog machine to cover her mistakes but he didn't. He could have pulled in a park bench, or a swing or any number of things to sit on to cut down on the time that Valerie had to be on her feet but he didn't do that either. They got out on the floor and they waltzed and I cried from how beautiful it was even in its imperfection. At 72 years old with brain cancer and a bum knee that she stumbled on all week in practice, she went out there and waltzed. And she got three 6s which was totally appropriate for what she did. She also got all my votes that week even though I knew she should be the one going home. 

Even though what Amy is able to do is just as inspiring as what Valerie did or even more inspiring in some ways, I haven't felt the sort of emotional connection to her dances that I felt with Valerie (with the exception of the contemporary and the quickstep). And I think part of that is because I feel like I am being cheated out of seeing what she is truly capable of because Derek keeps her in a tiny box on the floor. He even said in their package this week that it was really the first time they were traveling across the floor...in week 9! I understand what Derek is doing and why he is doing it. He is the absolute best at creating memorable dances that wow people. Unfortunately, I think he often does this by creatively distracting us from his partner's limitations and putting the focus somewhere else - on him, on a stool, on a table, on the fog. And again, I get it, I do and it works a lot of the time but it frustrates me because I want to see the contestants dance. I like seeing their limitations and how they get past them (or don't) which is part of the reason that I do usually enjoy watching Candace week to week. And why I enjoyed Jack Osborne over Corbin last season. For me, that is a huge part of the show and a big reason why I am frustrated with Amy's dances this season.

The key for me is that people seem to be bashing Derek (and Amy for that matter) without really knowing the facts. It's nothing more than an assumption that she can do more, and I think people are unfairly expecting more not because of Amy, but because of Derek.

That's why I wish their packages were more focused on how her feet for each dance are determined and what it's actually taking for her to do what she does. Just because she makes it look easy on show night to the point of people saying it's too easy, doesn't mean it is.

• Love 2

The key for me is that people seem to be bashing Derek (and Amy for that matter) without really knowing the facts. It's nothing more than an assumption that she can do more, and I think people are unfairly expecting more not because of Amy, but because of Derek.

That's why I wish their packages were more focused on how her feet for each dance are determined and what it's actually taking for her to do what she does. Just because she makes it look easy on show night to the point of people saying it's too easy, doesn't mean it is.

But isn't it a little condescending to necessarily assume that she can't do more? Let's say Meryl hadn't had a hip actiony Latin dance all season. Wouldn't there be similair cries that TPTB were protecing her (a grade A ringer) from something that she might not be very good at? We'd want to see her at least attempt something perceived to be out of her wheelhouse. I don't see why wanting Amy to perform that which is perceived to be more difficult for her is unfair. Maybe she really does need the stool....but maybe she doesn't. Maybe having her perform a proper Paso would be a disaster. Or maybe it would be awesome. Maybe it would be middle of the road but would reach that Valerie Harper waltz level where we'd say "It wasn't pretty but who cares? She did it.".

It's extraordinarily possible that Derek has already assessed this which is what is guiding his decisons. (not that he has any control over the dance style they are given). Or perhaps he's too nervous to go for it. He's certainly doing his job, which is to progress his partner as far as possible, but I don't know. Don't get me wrong, what Amy is capable of doing as a dancer, a snowboarder, is remarkable, but even if she truly can't do more, it's frustrating not to see the attempt.

• Love 1
I don't see why wanting Amy to perform that which is perceived to be more difficult for her is unfair. Maybe she really does need the stool....but maybe she doesn't. Maybe having her perform a proper Paso would be a disaster. Or maybe it would be awesome

Everybody raise your hand if you thought quickstep would be a disaster for her. [Raises hand].  And she totally killed it.  Same for the jive.  The whole challenge of the season for Amy and Derek is coming up with creative ways for her to be able to adapt and perform the dances.  Having her stick to only the stuff she's proven she can do deprives her of going on to even bigger achievements, which is kind of crucial on this show, which is all about topping yourself.

• Love 1
(edited)

See, I would agree with this if they had more time. And this is where Derek being Amy's partner is a disadvantage to me.

Derek all but said on his blog that he didn't start choreographing their Jazz until Thursday because he was busy with MSOD and his tour stuff. Part of me feels like his stuff with Amy is far down on his priorities, and that bothers me, because she deserves better in that regard.

Everybody raise your hand if you thought quickstep would be a disaster for her. [Raises hand].  And she totally killed it.  Same for the jive.  The whole challenge of the season for Amy and Derek is coming up with creative ways for her to be able to adapt and perform the dances.  Having her stick to only the stuff she's proven she can do deprives her of going on to even bigger achievements, which is kind of crucial on this show, which is all about topping yourself.

I didn't. As someone who knows how prosthetics work, it's no surprise faster is easier, because of how your weight is distributed in transitions.

Edited by CED9

truthaboutluv said: [Honestly, I think sometimes this silly show is just taken way too seriously period. I have watched DWTS since the beginning and somewhere along the way, I simply accepted and realized the show for what it is. It is an entertainment show and no, I don't think that means the producers are behind the scenes maniacally manipulating everything to get the outcome they want. But I do think it is why it essentially has never been "fair" or ever will be "fair". DWTS is no more about the "best" dancer than SYTYCD is about the best dancer and American Idol the best singer.

It's about who connected the best with the most people and was able to have a couple of interesting, fun performances. Sometimes the technically best dancer has won and many times they haven't. It is what it is. I watch the show every season and I have to think really hard to remember the last time I voted for anyone and it's not because I didn't have favorites or was not rooting for anyone. I have just never been the type to sit around and keep pressing redial on my phone or log into Facebook, which I hate anyway. I adored Amber and I never voted for her once, same with Zendaya.

I think if you see the show for what it is, it's far less stressful. Don't try to make sense of the scores because you won't be able to and likely just make yourself crazy. Just embrace the cheese and silliness and appreciate some lovely dancing when it happens and move on. At least that's how I look at it. I don't think I have ever truly disliked anyone on DWTS or gotten truly furious about anything...disappointed once or twice when I really liked a celebrity, sure but other than that, not really. ]

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I seem to agree with just about everything you say. The emotional connections we form with certain celebs and dancers is normal until we let it control us and create anger, hatred and distress. It's a tv show, an unreality tv show. There's very little reality in these shows but they are presented in a way to try to create "belief" that they are in fact real. We have to be willing to suspend our disbelief to enjoy them. The producers do all they can to affect certain outcomes, reactions and results. The bottom line is foremost in their minds. They want to keep the show on the air and advertisers buying spots. So yes, they do things that we judge to be "unfair". But those are the rules of reality TV. We can either accept the rules and enjoy the shows, watch the shows and be angry or not watch and avoid emotional distress.

As for Amy and her disability, the Afterbuzz panel members have talked about what goes into creating Amy's dances and how little most viewers understand it. It's also been written about in various blogs. Amy has to learn to use different muscles to move her legs than the rest of us. One of the reasons her rib popped out of place was because of all the stress put on her back muscles to do the dance she did. The muscles were so inflamed, the inflammation actually caused the rib to pop out. It kept popping out even after chiropracty because the inflammation took time to heal. I'm always amazed at every step she takes and usually blown away by every move on the dance floor.

In assessing the dances, whether Amy's or anyone else's, the less knowledge we have about dance itself and specific dances, the more we spout opinions without facts upon which to base them. To be upset about the use of a stool or a table in a jazz dance is evidence of a lack of knowledge about the definition of and what constitutes a contemporary, modern or jazz dance. They are each different and each has sub-categories. There are different kinds of jazz dances. Regular viewers of SYTYCD are familiar with the use of chairs, tables and all kinds of "objects" in certain jazz dances. Sitting on a stool is not an offense. If incorporated into the dance, it becomes part of the dance. In the stool "lean" in Amy's jazz dance, it took a remarkable amount of strength and control of both her core and her arm to pull off that move. It was essential for the move. Derek couldn't have done what he did if Amy hadn't done her part. It might not be interesting or appealing to everyone but it was part of the jazz dance and absolutely acceptable. The same is true for the table. Many dances in this competition have made use of tables and chairs: Ricki Lake's Argentine Tango, Max and Mel's freestyle and many others which have used various props. We may not like it but It's not against the rules of jazz dance.

As to the issue of "moving around the floor" there is no question that Derek saved the running blades for the Quickstep. It's impossible for most of us with legs and feet to understand what went into learning that dance and performing it on the blades. They propel her forward. Think about what is required to control the blades in such a way that she has the right posture, doesn't kick Derek and balances herself on them while moving her legs and feet to an almost perfect Quickstep using hip and thigh muscles only. Hell, I can barely do it with two good legs and very flexible feet. They couldn't manage the close hold and body contact Len wanted to see because the blades made that impossible. So they lost a point.

What truthaboutluv expressed so well regarding our desire for the judges to be "fair" is simply the truth. This show is like most of the rest of life---there isn't much that's fair. We can't help but wish for it but if we get into an emotional knot over unfairness in an unreality tv show, the actual "real" life we experience will send us somewhere we don't want to be.

I'm double posting but need to correct my post. I referred to the stool "lean" as part of Amy's jazz dance. It was obviously part of her Argentine Tango. But the fact still applies. Argentine Tango does not require exclusion of props. Ricki Lake's and Derek's Ochos Aries Argentine Tango made beautiful use of a table as did Mark's and Ally Raisman's. There have been others but I have to go back and find them. Sorry for the double post. I don't comment often and am still trying to learn how all this works. How do you put quotes in a "box" ? for example.

• Love 1
As for Amy and her disability, the Afterbuzz panel members have talked about what goes into creating Amy's dances and how little most viewers understand it.

I'm well aware of the information out there about what Amy has to do in order to perform these dances, and in fact, I don't think most viewers are unaware of it.  I think it was pretty clearly stated on the show that Amy's rib problem and back spasms were because of the different way she had to rearrange herself in order to do the rumba. 

There's a difference of opinion as to whether Amy's dances should be judged solely on the dance, or on the backstory.  The Afterbuzz people clearly think the backstory trumps the end result as Kristyn has been telling people who say they disliked Amy's dance to go listen to her red carpet interview. 

I'm judging it solely on the dance, and it was good.  It did not amaze and delight me the way some of her previous dances have.  I don't think it was the best dance for week 9 to show off what she's learned how to do, which is what is being required of the other dancers at this point. I think Amy could have performed that dance just as well in week 1.  She made a noticeable mistake, and this is at least the second time she has made a mistake unrelated to her legs and was not marked down much for it.  (Part of the problem is that the judges have left themselves almost no room to mark anyone down at this point.)

All these people go around saying, "XXXXX is what the show is about!"  And I've heard at least 10 different opinions as to "what the show is about".  "It's about who dances best!"  "It's about people who don't know how to dance!" "It's about who is most improved!" "It's about who has the best journey!"  Whatever.  If people connect to Amy and her dances and/or story and want her to win, that's what it's about for them and they should vote accordingly.  If enough people agree, she'll win.

I do think it's offensive for Kristyn Burtt to tell people that if they didn't like Amy's dance, they shouldn't say anything at all and should "look in the mirror".  People have every right to get just as excited/upset/indignant/thrilled/underwhlemed by Amy's dances as anyone else's on the show.  She signed up to be part of a contest, not a PBS special about inspirational people. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I for one have no issues with people not liking some of Amy's dances, thinking her dance was overscored and even thinking that the judges may be condescendingly overscoring her. I may not necessarily agree, but all fair arguments. What I personally have been bothered by is an increasing level of vitriol I do think that has been taking place, particularly starting from last week when she topped the leader board and Meryl fell to the bottom. And I really do think it's because some started getting nervous at the very real possibility that she may actually win this thing. Because up until last week, I do think most people, even with their feelings about Derek and thinking he's the show's Golden Boy or whatever, they didn't think Amy had a real shot at winning.

But last week suddenly made that possibility seem very real and I do think there was a level of nastiness being reached that I personally did find uncomfortable and why I quickly fell back to my, "it's a silly dance show for an ugly trophy - it's not that deep". Accusations of her being manipulative, she knows she's being overscored and doesn't care, she may be exaggerating some of her limitations, etc. And it's like...seriously? And before it's stated I have the same problem when some criticisms of Meryl have been made personal too, for example saying how she looks like she's a bitch (that one is very personal for me seeing as I've gotten it my whole life...but I digress). It's when the criticisms and the comments start taking a very nasty, personal tone is where I start to feel like "little bit of perspective people..."

See, I would agree with this if they had more time. And this is where Derek being Amy's partner is a disadvantage to me.

Except it was one week and one dance. Unless I've missed it, has there been any evidence of Derek's skimming on his choreography and time with Amy this season. And this brings me to another thing I've observed - one or two dances sometimes get attributed to the entire season. What I mean by that is all the comments in the last week of the prop use and accusations that Amy hasn't even really been dancing this whole time. And YMMV but I'm sitting back and thinking, "that's not how I remember the season." Suddenly everything she did prior to the AT and this week's dances is being brushed aside and she and Derek are getting accusations of her never actually learning or doing the dances and that is simply in my opinion, not true. 

And finally, the whole discussion about the floor movement. Again, unless I'm misinterpreting, Amy's not making use of the whole floor seems to be used as evidence of Derek not giving her enough or not challenging her enough and I don't really understand that. When Mark had Amy for the switch-up week Derek stated it clearly that Amy cannot pivot and turns are hard because of the balance issue. To me it was clear as day then that he was sticking to as small a place as possible so she didn't go off balance and go careening off the floor. 

But I certainly don't see how Amy's doing her dances in mostly one section of the dance floor meant she wasn't learning or actually doing the dances. It just meant they weren't  making use of the entire floor space. But the steps were there, the choreography was there and she was still dancing. And Amy did move around in both her contemporary and her Jive. For me this was one of her limitations and Derek found a way to work through it. I didn't see that as limiting her or not making her dance. As for her using the blades for her QS that some wondered why then she couldn't use them before, it was because as others noted, the blades make you speed and fly around - great for a QS but how exactly would that have a worked for a contemporary, waltz, AT, rumba?

In the stool "lean" in Amy's jazz dance, it took a remarkable amount of strength and control of both her core and her arm to pull off that move. It was essential for the move.

I definitely think that was one of the moments in the dance that CAI held her breath for. I have looked at that moment many times and everytime I'm wowed because that could have easily gone so wrong. And I think that is actually a perfect example of what someone else noted in that Amy sometimes makes what she does look so easy, that in part lends itself to the accusations that she wasn't doing much or not really dancing. Which as I've noted is simply not true imo.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I think a lot of people actually did have Amy pegged as a likely winner early on - the combination of a wildly popular pro and inspirational storyline was clearly going to carry her very far.

Doesn't the vitriol always ramp up for the finals? Is Amy really getting it worse than Meryl?

(edited)

I never understand the level of viritrol aimed at reality show contestants, unless they've actually done something truly awful, but the Amy backlash is truly puzzling to me. Not that she's getting backlash, because to some extent they all do, but the nature of it. I figure if she feels like she's being condescended to or Derek is not challenging her enough, then she can express that to Derek. If not, then I'm not going to get all outraged on her behalf or try and dictate how she should feel about it. She's the one living it, not me.

I like both Amy and Meryl. I like Meryl partly for her dancing and partly because I'm a figure skating fan. I like Amy partly for her dancing and partly because I admire her putting herself out there and demonstrating some of what is possible for a double amputee with modern prosthetics.

I don't see voting for Amy because of her story as any less valid than voting for Meryl because of her skating or Candace because you loved Full House. It's part of the show. If it was supposed to be about the "best dancer" or "most improved" dancer then they'd just have judges and the fans wouldn't get to vote. Once you let the fans vote, it's about whatever the fans voting want it to be about.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 1

From what I remember, Danica was getting the vitriol early on because she had more ballroom experience than the ice dancers. Amy was an unknown entity in all aspects. But, people assumed she'd be the 2.0 version of Paul McCartney's ex, and no real threat.

But, yes, the downright nastiness I've seen has been unlike any other season.

I think Amy's more ardent fans may have triggered some of the backlash by launching personal attacks on anyone who criticized her dancing or scores. See the Kristyn Burtt comment above. Every facebook and forum thread quickly became a war zone all season long, and Amy got the fallout, unfortunately.

I don't have Facebook, so I don't know much about that, but from what I've seen on Twitter is more the hardcore Derek/Maks fans who root for them regardless of their partner attacking Amy and Meryl. Almost like they're defending the pros honor by being as nasty as possible to the celeb as if the pro would find that kind of thing flattering.

I don't have Facebook, so I don't know much about that, but from what I've seen on Twitter is more the hardcore Derek/Maks fans who root for them regardless of their partner attacking Amy and Meryl. Almost like they're defending the pros honor by being as nasty as possible to the celeb as if the pro would find that kind of thing flattering.

I do have facebook and I've avoided most of the comments for this reason. I vote for the celeb, not the pro and even though I'm annoyed as hell that James is in the final rather than Charlie, he seems like a perfectly nice person, as does Amy and everyone else who is left.

Part of my issue is the "isn't she inspirational for dancing" crowd when in my opinion, the inspirational thing she did was look death in face and beat him off. Many people get up every morning and put on a prosthesis, not many can say they had the odds she did at living and survived.

I have no doubt that there are people who fall into the category you're talking about, bearcatfan. I actually think CAI is one of those people. Like, anyone in Amy's position, or a similar position, is "inspiring" because they choose to leave their bed, leave their house and have a life.

Personally, I admire anyone who comes on this show and puts them self out there. Amy is special to me because I have been one of the lucky few it seems to have followed her for a long time. She's exceeded my expectations, and it seems her own as well. That's a victory in itself. That's another thing that goes for all of them.

• Love 2

Brought over from Maks' thread:

An Amy win would be a huge feel-good moment, and would garner a lot of media attention. It would be a positive spotlight on the possibilities of life with prosthetic limbs, an important message given how many disabled vets we have in the U.S.

I'm sitting here wishing Amy was dancing with Maks. They are the two I want to see win the trophy this time. No offense intended to Meryl, who is a lovely person and a very hard worker.

I hope they all dance their best on Monday, and I'll be very interested to see the results.

My issue is that I'm not necessarily here to see the feel good win and I don't actually see her winning as fully fulfilling that. Yes, I recognize that plays a part in it, but I'd rather see someone I feel consistently performed entertaining routines win. In another season, I'd be okay with an Amy win. This season, I'm just not. While Meryl winning is my ideal because for me she has performed high quality routines and I find her very endearing, I'd also be okay with a Candace win because even with her struggles of overthinking when it comes to performance night I can see how much this means to her and how much joy she finds in it, which I find engaging.

With Amy, I don't get that sense of joy and don't find her particularly likable. I'm not going to complain about her crying in packages or claim that she's playing for the pity vote because I don't feel that way. Truthfully, I found her tears of frustration regarding her limitations to be appropriate and one if the few moments where it felt like I was actually seeing Amy as a person. It was a candid moment of frustration that I could identify with because while I've never been in her situation, I'm a person that when feeling intensely overwhelmed cries or slams things. But since then, I feel like I've learned nothing about Amy. I know about how her being a double amputee has impacted the process and how they've had to work around that, but Amy isn't defined by her prosthetics and I feel like because it's such a big part of how her rehearsals need to be conducted the show has allowed that to be the case.

That lack of connection to Amy as a person and her having a partner who has grated my nerves in the past for the praise he gets for dancing circles around his partner has made me really opposed to the idea of her winning. Maybe if one of those factors were removed, things would be different. I have no doubt that the choreography is mostly a necessity and that it'd probably be largely the same with another partner because while Mark did give her more content and motion than Derek did in the early weeks it wasn't as much as people act like it is. But like with Maks' history coloring how everything he does is viewed, the same goes for Derek. And the combination of Amy's packages, Derek's history, and the lack of performance or even tangible joy from her has made her a generally lackluster competitor for me.

• Love 2

Obviously, minds vary and all that, and you definitely don't have to see what I've seen, but for me, I tuned into this season because I heard Charlie and Meryl were on it, and found myself almost immediately captivated by Amy. For me, and maybe this is because I started poking around at her social media accounts, she clearly seems to be having the time of her life and enjoying every moment of this ride. I've watched this clip of the upcoming salsa from the Glamour behind the scenes article about 10 times already, between her smile and the fact that I can't work out how she's pulled into that lift behind Derek and ends up in front of him.

There was a Carrie Ann blog that mentioned how much she embodies each dance, and it's a thing that I see, I'm completely captivated by her quality of movement. IF she wins (and there's a part of me that hopes not, because of how annoying the internet will be afterwards about how it was "fixed") it will be for that. 

• Love 2

That would be the salsa that she has to re-do.  She was already pretty good at the salsa and cha-cha at the beginning of the season, but you can tell she's improved.

• Love 1
(edited)

With Amy, I don't get that sense of joy and don't find her particularly likable.

I do not find her likable at all.  Good for her for doing her snowboarding, but I have not seen anything on DWTS that makes me pull for her to win the MBT.  Part of it is the way the judges have acted about her, part of it is Golden Boy and the rest is that she is just bland.

Edited by smiley13
(edited)

You know this is why I love message boards...you get varying opinions, some you disagree with and some you just don't actually understand but accept that it's how others see things. Case in point, the "we don't know who Amy" is point. I swear, I am honestly trying to understand this opinion but I just don't get it. From my perspective, if one says we don't really know anything about Amy from her packages, I feel like I can say the same about James, Candace and Meryl.

What have we really learned about James other than he's in some faux boy-band, women think he's hot and he and his PRO supposedly have scorching chemistry. Oh and I guess at one point he was a fatty. And Candace, what do we know other than she's a Christian, God is important in her life, she's a mother and she has serious performance anxiety issues with the live shows. And Meryl, what have the producers given us about Meryl (and I am not including people who have followed her skating career). Because I'm someone who only knew of Meryl Davis as part of the Davis/White team that beat Moir/Virtue. And the only thing I've gotten from the show is that she's hardworking, talented and she and Maks have a good "connection". Well the first two I kind of already assumed being that she is an Olympic champion. 

And for all of these people I don't think that's all there is to them. But the fact is this show has always liked it's storylines and it's narratives and those are the narratives that has played for all of them throughout the season. So I really do not understand Amy being singled out as not being shown who she is because the packages have focused on her journey as a double amputee. And even with that said, I do feel like I know a little of who Amy is.

While some used her crying in some packages to say "she was playing victim or being a drama queen", it showed that she's human and even after more than a decade of living with this disability she still has moments of frustration and anger at what her body may not be able to do. I found Amy to actually be kind of flirty and funny at times in her rehearsal packages with Derek. So I just honestly feel like this is one more thing thrown at to discredit her - first it's the not dancing and using props, now it's people don't know who she is.

When really, if someone doesn't want to vote for Amy, don't. Like I've said before, all this "best dancer" crap, the show says to vote for your FAVORITE couple, not best. So if Meryl is your favorite, fine vote for her and no need to make reasons why the others aren't getting your vote. Same if you want to vote for James or Candace. Me, I will be voting for no one but I do look forward to seeing what everyone brings for the Finals.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
(edited)

I had a theory, and I have no idea if it is true, that due to Derek's other commitments, he and Amy often rehearse in a separate studio from everyone else. It just doesn't seem like Amy interacts much with the other dancers.  I've heard about various friendships that have formed, but I haven't heard of any involving Amy. 

And she seems to be very reserved, so she doesn't usually give much of a reaction to the other dancers during the show.  I was quite surprised that she looked so upset and teary when Charlie was eliminated because I didn't realize they were close.

I like her a lot, but maybe because of all the focus on her legs, and on being an inspiration, and on what Derek is doing for her, there hasn't been enough time just to get to know her as a regular person.  I think the most we saw of her just being natural was when she rehearsed the duo jive with James, and I quite admired how good natured she was about him dropping her and how much she cared about not holding back the team.

Edited by Bitsy

According to Diana Nyad's exit interviews, she was closest to Amy, so Amy kinda lost her best buddy straight out of the gate. She seems close to Sharna and Drew and Candace (just going by twitter) and Charlie to a lesser extent.

Maybe it was just the stress in the moment, during that whole Olympians in jeopardy crap, but I got a weird vibe between she and Meryl.

(edited)

I had a theory, and I have no idea if it is true, that due to Derek's other commitments, he and Amy often rehearse in a separate studio from everyone else. It just doesn't seem like Amy interacts much with the other dancers.  I've heard about various friendships that have formed, but I haven't heard of any involving Amy. 

And she seems to be very reserved, so she doesn't usually give much of a reaction to the other dancers during the show.  I was quite surprised that she looked so upset and teary when Charlie was eliminated because I didn't realize they were close.

She does seem a bit reserved, which is an impression I take from her hesitancy with both James and Mark at first, before settling in. I've noticed she does a bit of a "Miss America" smile for the cameras, which you can really see in her interview after her injury - and I'm wondering if people are reading that as inauthentic. 

As for her relationship with the other castmates, she seemed reasonably close to Danica, they had a "rib twins" inside joke, and took this princess photo together. (And with a bonus Charlie photobomb). She also tweeted support to Candace - who'd I'd assume she'd have some relationship with through the Derek/Mark brotherhood.

I actually don't recall seeing much of the cast interacting overall this season though. Like I don't recall Candace palling around with anyone either, and I've "heard" of a Charlie/James friendship but I don't think I've seen it. The practice clips for the team dance seemed extremely short this season, and thats where it seems you get a lot of cast interaction. I don't think Amy was even in hers (it was pretty much just Candace and Maks) and then she had to miss the live dance, so you miss any background shots of her celebrating/hanging out with the rest of team Loca. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker

You know this is why I love message boards...you get varying opinions, some you disagree with and some you just don't actually understand but accept that it's how others see things. Case in point, the "we don't know who Amy" is point. I swear, I am honestly trying to understand this opinion but I just don't get it. From my perspective, if one says we don't really know anything about Amy from her packages, I feel like I can say the same about James, Candace and Meryl.

We've seen Candace's family, we've seen her struggles with overcoming her nerves, we've seen a lot of her as a person beyond her religion. We saw James' visit with his megafan which made him endearing, we saw a little bromance between him and Charlie in the packages for the group and when they bring up their tweets on the show. We've seen Meryl goofing around and imitating Maks or giving him the same attitude back, more importantly we've seen her embody a character in every dance and even if Amy has supposedly embodied the movements of a dance I don't feel like she's ever emodied a character.

Those are all things that have very to do with their defined character (James' fan may've been because he was in a boyband, but the visit was more about how he spent time with her) of a Christian, a boyband member, and a figure skater. We haven't seen a lot from Amy that has defined her beyond being a double amputee. It's a disservice to Amy and it's a similar issue that Charlie had in that he was nothing but the affable figure skater. We learned nothing about him and I don't think we've really learned anything about Amy.

• Love 1

I wonder if some of her reserve is recognition of being a figurehead for people who use prosthetics? I know she puts herself out there snowboarding, being an Olympian, participating on this show as a way to raise visibility and show that people are not their prosthetics. She's representing a lot of what we DON'T see on tv. People are not normalized in movies/tv shows when they have to use a prosthesis of any kind. So I know that being a high profile double amputee showing what can be done (at the cost of her privacy, her pain, cause don't kid yourself, learning to use muscles for different things hurts like hell, her just wanting to be Amy for a while), it takes a toll.

So maybe that seriousness/sense of a bit of disconnection (which were I her I would need to preserve my sanity) is because she representing something bigger and it really hard.

And I hope it's clear that I'm talking about representation NOT "inspiration". Seeing yourself in popular media is so important.

Now I'm sure I've made a few peoples eyes roll out of their head but representation matters and it's a soapbox I'm happy to get on from time to time. Whether it applies in this case is my interpretation. :D

• Love 2
(edited)
We've seen Candace's family, we've seen her struggles with overcoming her nerves, we've seen a lot of her as a person beyond her religion.

And I noted that all we'd seen of Candace was that she is a Christian mother of three who has live performance anxiety issues. So this pretty much confirms that statement. However I would like to believe there is more to Candace than just being a Christian and a mom. 

We saw James' visit with his megafan which made him endearing, we saw a little bromance between him and Charlie in the packages for the group and when they bring up their tweets on the show.

To each his own because the moment with the megafan, while sweet, I saw as "James, the boy-band/teen idol" guy and as for his stuff with Charlie, don't even remember that and that's surprising since I hear so much about how Charlie was never shown. That said, I still can't think of a single thing about James other than he has great abs and is in some boy band. If some say Amy is bland, James often comes across to me as a practiced Ken doll. But I'm sure he's not. 

We've seen Meryl goofing around and imitating Maks or giving him the same attitude back, more importantly we've seen her embody a character in every dance and even if Amy has supposedly embodied the movements of a dance I don't feel like she's ever emodied a character.

And her embodying the dance ties into my saying that all I've seen of her is that she is talented and hardworking and once again, considering the woman just won an Olympic Gold medal, I didn't need her to do DWTS to figure out those things about her. So once again, I say I still haven't seen anything of who Meryl Davis is from those packages. I don't know what makes her really laugh out loud, I don't know what truly motivates her, I don't know why she's even really doing this show, what's driving it for her, is it just to have something fun after the stress of the Olympics, etc. What? And again, I'm sure those things exist but the producers were far more interested in showing the "passion and connection" between her and Maks throughout the season.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't get we learn things about everybody except Amy+? I think most of Meryl's packages were about Maks. I know we learn stuff about her but what really in this comparison to Amy? That Meryl can show character? Well she was always the character part of Merlie's dances so I don't really get why everyone is shocked about that. But other than that everything is about Maks really. That she's strong cause she can put up with and Control Maks? LOL. That's for another thread. 

And We saw Amy struggle emotionally and then over come it. We know she was having issues with her Boyfriend but he was still there supporting her. There was a ton we saw. There was more to show though like physical wear and tear of what dancing on Prosthetics. I know she was injured but mostly it was about the emotions and struggle. Maybe this week.

I get you with Charlie. They had so much to show and wasted it but that's for his or the general thread. BTW the James's Charlie moments was In the stupid Switch up week and it was to make James and Peta all about each other >.< 

Edited by tarotx

Now I'm sure I've made a few peoples eyes roll out of their head but representation matters and it's a soapbox I'm happy to get on from time to time. Whether it applies in this case is my interpretation. :D

I think its fine for people to vote for her because they like what she represents and they like seeing how she copes with the dances. I personally have more of a problem with the judges ignoring mistakes and judging her based on how inspirational she is when they said they wouldn't. Maybe some accommodations should be made in the judging, but IMO those should have been laid out at the beginning. The few seconds the judges have after the dance doesn't seem like enough time to really assess that. 

Kromm's comment from Maks' reminds me of why I didn't like the personal story week when they first introduced it. It turned into a bunch of stories about losing loved ones. How am I supposed to decide which star crying about their loss is best? It just feels icky. This is a competition, and I do like being able to say I like this one and not that one. 

I kind of wish we still had a results show because they used to do different competitions sometimes. I think it would be great to see Amy and other people who use prosthetics compete against each other. That would give them a platform and also provide some context. 

Representation matters. It matters a lot. I guess my issue is that I feel like there's been a singular focus and that people deserve to be represented complexly because they are complex. For me, it's like in the drive for representation, focus was lost on the fact that Amy is more than simply her prosthetics.

I'm not blaming Amy for the way the show has portrayed her because there's absolutely no way for her to avoid that edit, she can't just say she won't talk about her disability like Meryl does because no matter what she does it's right there in front of everyone. And I'm not comparing their disabilities in the slightest because as someone with similar depth perception issues and no night vision I know that that really doesn't compare to Amy's situation, so it's not about that. But because of the way the show has focused on that at nearly every opportunity, I've had very little reason or opportunity to connect with Amy. Aside from the moment I mentioned before, my reaction to Amy has basically been awe and respect but I've never wanted to root for her as a person. I haven't really wanted to root against her until last week and that's more in response to being 200% done with the OTT reactions and praise that Derek gets than anything Amy herself has done. There just generally hasn't seemed to be a spark there of any sort and whether it's due to compartmentalization or edits or if she just isn't an exuberant person, it doesn't really matter to me because what I know is that I'm not connecting and I don't really care why. On this show I need either a personality I can root for or the ability to suck me into a performance and Amy simply leaves me cold.

• Love 1

Totally get that @Flick it's kind of what I'm talking about when I say tv can't get that kind of representation correct without the swelling music and inspirational quotes etc... It's nauseating to me and takes me out of the actual competition aspect. I also agree that competition = rules and the scores are crazy and uneven at the best of times. I know too that what we see is what the producers want us to see. It's part of why reality shows are hard for me to watch. It's all about the product and not about the ostensible competition.

(edited)
There just generally hasn't seemed to be a spark there of any sort and whether it's due to compartmentalization or edits or if she just isn't an exuberant person, it doesn't really matter to me because what I know is that I'm not connecting and I don't really care why. On this show I need either a personality I can root for or the ability to suck me into a performance and Amy simply leaves me cold.

And that is fair because art is such a subjective thing and why I will always say that this show will never be "fair". People are asked to vote for their favorite and someone connects to one celebrity over another for any number of reasons. Some people like Candace because they feel she represents "what the show should be because she's a non-dancer", some people vote for James because they think he's hot, etc. All valid. 

What I was disagreeing with is the notion that the show and/or the producers haven't shown who Amy is in her packages because I feel like that can be said for everyone. So the issue is not imo, that the show is not showing who Amy is but that the narrative she's been given, as every other celebrity has a narrative, is simply not connecting with some. Because in that same vein I've been reading since the season started, comments by many who feel that Meryl's dances leave them cold. That technically she's good but there's no emotion there and that same person may say they root for Candace because they get vulnerability from her. Do I agree, no, but that's why it's all subjective.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

If you go back to the very first episode, this season had the agenda of being overly serious as "the most competitive cast ever." And the different rivalries the show wanted within the show. Meryl vs Charlie, Candace.vs Danica, Cody vs James, Billy Dee vs Drew, Amy vs Diana, and...uh...Sean and NeNe were...there.

For me, what sets Amy apart is the possibilities she's granting, in a way. She's doing things on prosthetics that you aren't supposed to be able to do on them. Seeing that from a technical POV is significantly more fascinating to me than being stage fake-y or showmance-y.

Amy just strikes me as matter of fact and methodical. Can't do this? Try this. I don't need personality filled, time wasting packages to connect. Amy brings disabled kids and their families to the show every week, yet it's never mentioned. She runs a nonprofit organization that's never been mentioned. Though, I have the feeling if any of the stuff she does was, people would cry sympathy vote even louder.

• Love 4

I liked Amy on The Amazing Race and hated she only made it two legs. I haven't enjoyed her here because I feel she is being edited into a really bland person. It just seems everyone is being so pc that she isn't much fun. I don't blame her but the editing. Her dancing to me isn't worth watching a second time except the jive and quickstep.

Meryl on the other hand has always been so pc that it hurts. So to me it is kind of funny that her partner is a hot mess that could and probably will offend tons of people. On the other hand I love their dancing.

I just wish that everyone would quit beating a dead horse with the brave Amy buisness.

What you find dull, Aunt Dahlia, I find refreshingly adult for this show. That's why Amy and Charlie are/were my favorites. They wouldn't play the game and be someone they aren't for a tacky trophy.

And every reason why I've watched Meryl with my eyes frequently rolled. She and Maks immediately suck the life out of the room. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Now I'm sure I've made a few peoples eyes roll out of their head but representation matters and it's a soapbox I'm happy to get on from time to time.

No eye rolling here whatsoever.  As the mother of a transgender child, I can attest to the importance of needing to see yourself not only represented but accurately depicted.  Thank you for getting up on that soapbox.

• Love 2