Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Sadie Robertson: Daughter of the (Duck)Dynasty

• Start Topic

Sadie Robertson is well known for her dimples and engaging smile, but there is more to the 17-year-old charmer and star of A&E’s “Duck Dynasty” than that. A high school athlete and motivational speaker, Sadie spends her summers on mission trips and working at a Christian youth camp spreading her message to peers about being confident in who you are and learning to “live original.”

Sadie also embodies the creative and entrepreneurial spirit of the Robertson family and has carried her philosophy into multiple business ventures, collaborating with fashion designer Sherri Hill on her own “daddy-approved” prom dress line, Live Original, (she even walked in Hill’s show for New York Fashion Week in 2013) and developing her own Live Original line of school supplies for DaySpring. Sadie’s new book, “Live Original: How the Duck Commander Teen Keeps It Real and Stays True to Her Values,” is available now at retailers nationwide.

Dancing with Mark Ballas.

I really wish ABC had not brought her on the show, but I guess they needed someone to be this year's Bristol Palin - someone that a lot of people hate the family and don't want to see the idiot offspring on their tvs but who stay around way past their expiration date because their family's fans keep them on.  She's a better dancer than Bristol ever was, but she's completely forgettable, and she has Zendaya's coltishness without Z's ability.  Could not believe the judges gave her 9s.  Don't know what they saw in the studio but what I saw at home was ok  but nothing more.  Definitely middle-of-the-pack instead of top tier.  I know she won't be the first to go, but I can dream. 

• Love 5

I thought she did well, but not 9's well.  I would have been fine if she had gotten straight 8's.  I'm not going to hate on this girl for her family though.  With Bristol, I disliked Bristol for her own actions.  It wasn't just because she was Sarah's daughter.  So I refuse to judge Sadie based on her family.

• Love 5
So I refuse to judge Sadie based on her family.

Sadie defended her grandfather, I feel pretty comfortable judging her on that. Yes, they're family, but that doesn't necessitate going on record to defend him. (Nah, she didn’t explicitly say, “Sure, I totally agree with my grandpa’s homophobia and racism! Fun times!” because she’s too smart for that - she’s unlike Bristol Palin in that way at least - but her words don’t sound like the words of someone who disagrees with the gist of Phil’s views.)

And even without coming to his defense, she's capitalizing on the Robertson brand, so why not judge away based on her family? Unless she openly breaks ranks (which she won't, let's be honest). 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 5

Sadie defended her grandfather, I feel pretty comfortable judging her on that. Yes, they're family, but that doesn't necessitate going on record to defend him. 

And even without coming to his defense, she's capitalizing on the Robertson brand, so why not judge away based on her family? Unless she openly breaks ranks (which she won't, let's be honest). 

I'm not judging anyone else for thow they choose to judge her.  I was only speaking for my own personal views.  She's also a teenager.  A minor at that.  Do I think Sadie remotely has herself figured out at this point?  Not really.  So I do cut her some slack.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 6
I'm not judging anyone else for thow they choose to judge her.

Yeah, I’m just saying that it’s not simply a matter of her unfairly being associated with her family. Even if she hadn’t said things that made me believe she doesn’t exactly disagree with what Phil’s peddling, she’s on the show because of her family, and I’d be surprised if last year’s controversy didn’t play a role in DWTS considering a Robertson for the show, because we know that TPTB love their controversies. So she’s capitalizing on that. She represents the brand and what the Duck Dynasty family stands for. Of course she’s going to be judged based on her family, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. Which might not be what you’re saying, but I’ve seen plenty of sentiment to that effect.

(I suppose I should be happy that TPTB didn’t choose Phil Robertson, at least.)

• Love 4

I do judge her based on her family, unfortunately.  I know that's not fair, but what can I say?  I'm human.  I despise her family, especially the grandfather, and as has been mentioned, she has supported his truly ignorant and incredibly horrific statements.  She herself is also capitalizing big-time on the Robertson name.  She's got her own line of clothing, and she wrote a book laughably called something like "How the Duck Commander's Daughter Keeps It Real."  Seriously?  There's nothing "real" about that family.  They were as yuppy as it gets until granddad got approached about a tv show, and then all of a sudden they went all hillbilly with the ugly beards and the stupid bandanas.  So, yeah, something about her screams "spoiled entitled princess" to me.  I'm looking forward to the day she is gone, and I just hope it doesn't take as long to get rid of her as it did to get rid of Bristol.  I would truly love it if she were the first to go tonight - if people took a stand and said, 'no, we're not giving your homophobic family any more attention.'  But I'm not counting on that happening. 

• Love 4

OK now you get to stop it. I already posted that this is not a Duck Dynasty topic . This is a topic for DWTS and how Sadie Robertson dances. That's it. If you can't comment without making snide remarks OR praising Duck Dynasty and the rest of her family: Don't. I don't want to see it again and this is the only warning you are all getting. Continuing the discussion will earn you a time out and I will be deleting posts that do not comply.

• Love 4

I thought Sadie and Mark did very well. She has a great smile and camera presence and I thought she danced really well for a first timer. That might not be a bad thing - you don't have to unlearn something I guess.  I'm not to sure about the nines - I thought it was a solid 8 performance myself.  I haven't watched the whole thing yet - but she stood out to me just because she looked so happy and upbeat.

• Love 1

I don't know that much about her family or background, but I thought she did pretty good for a girl with no dance experience. I was totally expecting a flailing, awkward routine with those long arms and legs, but I thought she had some really beautiful lines.

• Love 2

I don't know that much about her family or background, but I thought she did pretty good for a girl with no dance experience. I was totally expecting a flailing, awkward routine with those long arms and legs, but I thought she had some really beautiful lines.

She's got gorgeous long arms and legs and seems to be able to control them.  At 17, I don't think she's quite grown into her body yet but I didn't see the gangliness that I saw in Zendaya or Cody. We'll see when she does a waltz or foxtrot.  She also seemed to have her nerves pretty well under control. I'll be looking forward to seeing her progress in the weeks ahead.

• Love 1

I didn't think she was good at all. I had to rewatch it just now to see if maybe I was being too harsh last night, but I still think her leg placement was strange, her facial expressions were distracting, and her timing was way way off. I don't think Mark is that impressed with her either, given that he choreographed both a shoulder shimmy and a hip shimmy. He only does that when his partner has no sense of rhythm at all. She wasn't the worst, but I would have scored her a 6 or a 7.  8s and 9s were ridiculous.

• Love 5

I'm not a fan of Duck Dynasty and have Never watched the show, although my husband thinks it's hilarious. However, Sadie seems adorable and I was impressed with her first appearance. I used to dance with an adult ballet company and it isn't easy to face an audience for the first time when you aren't accustomed to it... and our group wasn't on live TV.

• Love 2

knightingal: "Sadie's dance already has over a million views on youtube, that's wayyy more than anyone else's.. is Duck Dynasty really that popular??"

Yesterday early afternoon I was talking with someone about the youtube views. At that time (1:30pm) Sadie's dance had

985,878 on the BallroomStars channel and

193,086 on the ABCDWTS channel

total 1,178,964

Now, Thursday, after the results show, voting is over, the counts are

1,116,599 on BallroomStars 

246,775 on ABCDWTS

total 1,363,374, an increase of 184,410 in 1 non-show day

That's far more in 1 day than most of the others have cumulatively since Monday.

I don't know what to make of it. 

(I do have the view counts for all the other couples, if anyone is interested.)

Edited by Uke
  • Love 1

She was okay but nowhere near great. Giving her any 9s was ridiculous because that means half the judges thought she danced as well as Alfonso. Not even close in terms of dance ability, polish, or performance.

The judges have said in the past that they don't "compare" dancers to other dancers, rather they rate them against themselves ..... so it's not that the judges necessarily thought she danced as "well" as Alfonso, but she dance "well" for Sadie.

Whatever - I tune out the judges and their ridiculous scores.

That being said, I thought Sadie was a delightful, goofy, individual and I enjoyed her dance.  

• Love 1

Seriously do you need another warning? I'm giving them out today for free!! Last time guys, stop the comments on the lifestyle and continue the DANCING comments. Seriously. Don't make me turn this car around.

*further discussion and comment will result in a time out.

Don't know anything about Sadie's personal circumstances, don't care.  But, is it true that she has absolutely no dance background?  At age 17, if this really is her first exposure to dance, it's undeniable that she has a ton of raw talent and potential.  Her personality reminded me a lot of Zendaya, and I loved Z on this show.  Of course Sadie's not going to learn to dance anywhere near the level of Z, but I'm interested to see how much she can learn.  Very cute girl, she is.

• Love 2

But, is it true that she has absolutely no dance background?  At age 17, if this really is her first exposure to dance, it's undeniable that she has a ton of raw talent and potential. 

Interestingly, one of the dancers giving commentary on Afterbuzz thinks it is not true that she has no dance training, based on some of her turnouts and positions she seems to hit "naturally." 

But, she is super cute and has a good rapport with Mark, and if they keep the focus on her and not her family I probably don't mind her sticking around until the top 3, because I'm totally calling that happening. (Top 3 prediction: Alfonso, Randy, Sadie.) 

He was saying it looked like she had more than dancing-in-her-bedroom experience, but at the very least dance-classes-at-the-local-studio experience. But who knows - she might just be a super natural, I just thought it was interesting. I personally don't mind dancers that have had some classes, if it were true. (I mean, Alfonso's my current favorite.) 

She never said that she had no dance experience (although I can see why it was interpreted that way) - she said they don't have dances at her school so she mostly dances in her bedroom. Apparently she goes the Footloose high school pre-Kevin Bacon.

I had to go to youtube and check to make sure I hadn't hallucinated it.  But, the exact words she says at 1:28 are "I have no dance experience.  We're not allowed to dance at our school.  So my dance skills kind of stay in my room. It's only for me and my mirror to see." 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1x7X-E7oZY

Serge sees Sadie do a little duck dance in a instagram and decides she's a trained dancer? No, don't think so. Serge said he doesn't know her, he was just throwing it out there. Serge has no credibility as far as I'm concerned, for a number of reasons predating the AfterBuzz show and having nothing to do with Sadie or AfterBuzz.

I had to go to youtube and check to make sure I hadn't hallucinated it. But, the exact words she says at 1:28 are "I have no dance experience. We're not allowed to dance at our school. So my dance skills kind of stay in my room. It's only for me and my mirror to see."

Thanks for double checking! Obviously I would be a terrible witness!

Does, "I have no dance experience" mean, "I have never had a dance class, private or otherwise?" or "I have never performed a dance onstage, or at school, or on a date -- for whatever reason."

Edited by ari333

Does, "I have no dance experience" mean, "I have never had a dance class, private or otherwise?" or "I have never performed a dance onstage, or at school, or on a date -- for whatever reason."

I don't know, but I sure would like to know.  :)  I looked for a long time unsuccessfully trying to disprove (season 7?) Brooke Burke's claim that she had no dance experience because I found it so hard to believe.   At least it doesn't look like Sadie will pull off anything on Brooke's level.  If Brooke truly had no dance experience whatsoever, she was one of the most naturally gifted dancers this show has seen, imo.  I don't mind ringers on DWTS in the least, in fact I usually enjoy them.  I just don't like being deceived, which I hope Sadie is not doing.

It was one of these 2 instagram videos that Serge was referring to:

http://instagram.com/p/s0MFm4TPC8/

http://instagram.com/p/ssc7GfzPDl/

Oh my gawd.  Someone used those two clips as the basis for thinking she had previous dance experience?  I'm quite a bit older than Sadie, I've never had previous dance experience, and I could easily do exactly what she's doing in those clips.  I don't know who this Serge guy is, but he's clearly borrowed Tommy Chong's bong.

• Love 1

Oh my gawd.  Someone used those two clips as the basis for thinking she had previous dance experience?  I'm quite a bit older than Sadie, I've never had previous dance experience, and I could easily do exactly what she's doing in those clips.  I don't know who this Serge guy is, but he's clearly borrowed Tommy Chong's bong.

I'm pretty sure that it was the second one, because he mentioned her feet position in a "perfect turnout." (She pops her feet out into a complete straight line when she's doing that duck walk.) It could totally be that she's just naturally flexible. I'm not a dancer, so I have no idea what I'm looking at, so I though it was interesting that someone who was trained thought they saw something. I don't have experience with this Serge dude, so if he tends to be full of shit that's good to know. It was obvious he was just randomly speculating anyway, not that he had any sort of insider knowledge.

Even if she had taken dance or gymnastics, I don't know if it would even be an "untruth" that she has "no dance experience." An exposure to a childhood dance class is no where near the level you need to to be on this show, so I wouldn't necessarily mind someone simplifying their story. (Which I'm not saying she did.) 

because he mentioned her feet position in a "perfect turnout."

That's silly (to the guy who is calling shenanigans). People don't need training to turn their feet out. But it doesn't look to me like she has had training. "Turnout" involves a lot more than your feet, and she seemed to be mimicking what she has seen other dancers do. I think she has rhythm, so she looks like a natural.

Some people have natural turnout or are naturally flexible. A friend of mine who had never taken a single dance class in her life had the most amazing natural turnout. I told her it was a shame that she had never taken ballet. Other people are naturally flexible and can do the splits without stretching, taking yoga, etc. It sucks for people who have to work really hard at their flexibility and turnout to see people who it comes to naturally and without any effort, but it definitely happens.

I don't mind seeing people who are naturally coordinated on this show, but I do have an issue with people not disclosing their past experience. The producers on SYTYCD love to make certain dancers (particularly the non-contemporary ones) seem like they have absolutely no experience outside their genre when in truth many of them are cross trained. They just want the audience to buy the story of the journey and it's supposedly more interesting if a hip hop dancer can miraculously do ballroom or contemporary than if the judges let them admit to the audience that they have trained in other styles. So again I have no problem with Sadie being naturally coordinated but if she has taken classes I would like to be disclosed.

I looked for a long time unsuccessfully trying to disprove (season 7?) Brooke Burke's claim that she had no dance experience because I found it so hard to believe.

Well maybe it was unsuccessful because none existed. YMMV but I honestly don't remember Brooke being that amazing that her saying she didn't have dance experience was so unbelievable. Brooke was flexible, kind of a little like Kellie Pickler in that respect though Kellie was better, and she had a good amount of grace but I honestly did see her grow throughout the competition. Like her first dance was okay in my opinion but not that amazing. And yeah I'm sure at some point in her life, probably Junior High//High School maybe she took some ballet or something but I don't think that means a person has dance experience. 

And I think that is at the core at times of the whole ringer debate. Some believe if someone has had a class or two in their lives or done some mediocre choreography a time or two, they're a ringer. It's like how some insisted Drew Lachey was a ringer in S2 and as a person who remembered 98 Degrees and their very poor man's version to N'Sync and Backstreet Boys, I was like "what...where?" To me dance experience refers to people like Corbin Bleu who trained with Debbie Allen and danced on Broadway, Nicole Scherzinger who was a dance minor and started her career in a dance troop, or Alfonso Ribero this season or Lea Thompson who trained under freaking Baryshnikov. These people had/have dance experience.  

And then you have your celebrities like a Brooke Burke and/or more appropriately Amber Riley who truly just have natural ability and natural rhythm. It does happen. Hell there have been many contestants who compete on SYTYCD who are self-taught and it's why they typically can't do other styles. But the fact is some people really can just mess around in their rooms and teach themselves. So the point is a celebrity can have no dance experience and turn out to be amazing because they just have a natural affinity for dance and have great rhythm because the latter is actually an essential part of dance in my opinion. It's like Julianne said in her comment about Alfonso when she was talking about some of his movements and attitude and saying that some of that stuff you can't teach it. 

Now with regards to Sadie, I think Serge is full of crap because nothing I saw from Sadie on Monday makes me think she has to be downplaying her dance experience and/or background. She shimmied well and when she did nail her Cha Cha walks but that didn't seem that impossible to me. And as for the turned out feet in her video, like others I agree that it could be as simple as her being flexible or hell maybe she's double jointed. So what, if she'd executed a perfect split, would that be proof that she has to have had dance training because plenty of people can do a split and they've never had dance training.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I think it's a shame that people are holding Sadie responsible for things her grandfather said two years ago.  She's a 17-year-old child.  She hasn't had any life experience, and everything she has done has been within the control of her family and her church.  Somehow out of that she's supposed to get enlightened about how misguided her grandfather's opinions are?  Also, she didn't say she stood by what her grandfather said, she said she stood by HIM because he is her grandfather and she loves him.  I just think people need to cut her some slack and see what she has to say when she's an adult living out of her sheltered home and experiencing life as Sadie Robertson, not as Duck Dynasty Princess.

• Love 4

I thought she did a wonderful job last night. The dance was fun and she kept right up with Mark which sometimes is a task in itself. I personally am not a fan of her family(I don't agree with their beliefs at all) but she is their child and that is her family so of course she is going to love them and stick by them. My grandparents aren't exactly saints when it comes to race issues and I don't agree with them but it doesn't mean I love them any less. If she was the one making the comments or if she was acting nastily towards Jonathan(who supposidly is gay) or Bruno then I would take issue with her.

• Love 4

I don't know that people are holding Sadie responsible for what her grandfather says, but it wasn't 2 years ago - it's a constant ongoing thing with him.  His last offensive comments have been within the last month.  But it is very hard to separate her from her family, since she makes no effort to separate herself from them.  She didn't need to bring her father, uncles and grandfather on stage.  They served no purpose except to annoy people who aren't fans.  And quite honestly, I would have preferred she not bring up her grandfather at all than to dismiss his remarks as if they were no big deal.  Saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas 'upsets' some people.  Homophobic, racist, misogynistic comments tend to enrage and disgust people.  And when those comments cause viewership of your show to drop from about 13 million to 4.3 million, that's more than 'some' people.  That casual dismissal of his offensive comments I do hold Sadie responsible for. 

But beyond that, I just don't really enjoy her dancing.  She's better than Bristol Palin was, but I find her very awkward and gangly.  She has moments when I can see that she has potential, but overall it's not there yet, and I just generally find her dancing to be okay but nothing special.  I still think her first dance was her best, and I didn't like that samba last night.  Both costumes were ugly and distracting, and her movement seemed very choppy to me - not bouncy or graceful but kind of clunky.  I would have scored it no higher than a 7.  And if I never see the rest of her family on my screen again, it will still be too soon.  Unfortunately, I can be pretty much guaranteed I'll see at least one of them every week she's still around.  :\

• Love 12

If she was the one making the comments or if she was acting nastily towards Jonathan(who supposidly is gay) or Bruno then I would take issue with her.

Exactly!  Give her time to learn and grow.  I'm in my 50's (ouch I hate to admit that) and my father still says things that leave me picking up my jaw from the floor.  He's a good ol' Georgia boy and 50 years of living in New England has not changed him one iota.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have people hate me because of anything he said, but I was taught you stand by your family in public, right or wrong, and you argue it in private.  I think many of his beliefs are misguided and just plain wrong, but I love him and I know I can't change his view of the world, but I call him on it every time.  I doubt that Sadie, at 17, is in a position to do the same.

• Love 1

I don't see how these statements are any less bigoted than what her grandfather said. No, I don't agree with his opinion (but it was his opinion, and he's entitled to it, no matter how much I think it stinks). But Sadie CAN dance, and she's working hard every week. So why not applaud her efforts? And why bash her for something she didn't even say? She said last night she loved her grandfather, and that his statement would not tear the family apart. Fair enough. I certainly have not agreed with every statement members of my family have made, but I love them anyway. I'm just grateful I live in a world where I'm not judged for everything my grandparents ever said.

• Love 15

I wouldn't be surprised if her bringing up the controversy was the producers idea. I also think bringing the uncles on stage may have been Mark or the producers idea. I don't trust this show when it comes to showing truthful stories or rehersal packages. They like to create drama, scandal, talk etc. Even if she did I don't think it's a big dea. If they had danced I would have had a bit of a problem.

Edited by Dancingjaneway
  • Love 5