Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Alfonso Ribeiro: The Tap Dance Kid

• Start Topic

I had no idea that Cheryl and Alfonso were friends before the show. They have known each other for about 8 years now. I wonder if that is why they didn't get paired together in the first place. I think they did an excellent job together and the scores should have been better. I liked the chemistry they had as well. I do like him with Whitney too so I'm not too sad that he's not going to be with Cheryl next week.

So apparently next week Alfonso has Salsa and the song is JLo and Pitbull's "'Booty" ha.  I totally called the song when I saw the pic that was posted to the official DWTS Instagram account yesterday of the rehearsal.  This should be interesting!

Witney just tweeted that Alfonso has an injury. That's tough! Wonder if it's the same groin injury that he had last week or if it's something new? Witney doesn't seemed too worried but still it's not good- they're still only half way through the season with more dances per week and longer dances each time out. Hope his body can hold out!

My name is Snarklepuss and I......I confess......I have a crush on Alfonso.  I never watched very much of "Fresh Prince" when it was first on, but I do remember Alfonso.  I would never have looked at him twice back then, but now - Hoo boy!  It's almost embarrassing because I am so much older than he is, LOL.  He is a joy to watch and a great dancer!  I found out he grew up in Riverdale in the Bronx just like I did.  Just more reason to love him!

• Love 1

Alfonso was great last night. I really like what he and Whitney have. I have a feeling that they are on equal ground and both contribute to the moves in the dances. I also like that he was there for her when she was upset over the scores Michael got. It's unfortunate that it is his groin muscle that is hurt because that's one of those injuries that won't heal unless you are resting it(like putting your feet up and doing nothing) for a period of time.

• Love 1

I was hoping after the show last night that Alfonso and Witney could rest to try and heal their injuries, but wow I watched a post show interview with them and even though they were both still in pain they had to start work on the group dance right after the interviews. He acknowledged that the show is going to get harder and harder but hes a trouper for sure.he said that when he pulled his groin again mid dance last night he just kept saying to himself "dont stop, just keep going". I hope his body can hold out. And I have no shame in saying I'm glad they closed the show for the 3rd time!

• Love 2

"Alfonso was great last night. I really like what he and Whitney have. I have a feeling that they are on equal ground and both contribute to the moves in the dances."

I don't know how much Alfonso contributes to the dances because many of the "hip hop" moves that Whitney incorporates into their routines are very common on So You Think You Can Dance and I don't think Alfonso knows enough about ballroom or latin to be contributing much in those areas either. I think Witney runs the choreography show and maybe Alfonso offers a few suggestions here and there.

So the America's Vote for which dance style and song the couples get is now open.

http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/americas-choice

Alfonso and Witney could do AT or Foxtrot. I sort of would love to see him do the Foxtrot- the Ain't that a Kick in the Head song by Robbie Williams is so nice for that!

Edited to add: I think that link isn't working right now. Sorry guy! It was working before they must have taken it down.

Edited by missysays

Does anyone know what dance Alfonso has this coming week?  But I agree I'd love to see him do a foxtrot the week after.  It would be a nice change of pace, but I also think he would be really good at foxtrot.

Does anyone know what dance Alfonso has this coming week?  But I agree I'd love to see him do a foxtrot the week after.  It would be a nice change of pace, but I also think he would be really good at foxtrot.

Apparently its Rumba..I've been really anxious to see him dance to a slow song.

Also, Alfonso tweeted earlier about tuning into Jimmy Kimmel tonight.  Looks like he filmed something for that AND filmed the show Home and Family on the Hallmark Channel with Witney today thats supposed to air tomorrow.

"My body is falling apart"

I wish MY body was falling apart like that!

Heh well Sharna said on After Buzz that he actually has a back injury as well so it seems hes kind of a mess and I guess feeling worse than hes letting on. If that were me I would want to be curled up in bed..I dont know how hes moving like that!

I hate seeing people get hurt on this show. Usually the person who gets injured is one of my favorites, like Alfonso. I hope he recovers well, most of the other competitors bore me and he's the best part of this show. On the other hand, I hope that if the pain gets to be too much then I hope he pulls out, this show isn't worth the pain.

• Love 2

Congrats to Alfonso, who has not only made it this far, he's going to be a dad again! After all that he and Witney have been through, it's a wonder they can still move, let alone dance. Looks like doing the Carlton too hard is hazardous to anyone's health, even the guy who invented it. Dance-wise, Alfonso's Flamenco with Cheryl was the best thing about "Switch-Up Week" by far. The Salsa and the Rumba he did with Witney after that were sensational. I still believe that Alfonso's going to not only make the F4, he's gonna win.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

Alphonso gave a cute interview about tapping with a Make A Wish kid (at about the 3:45 mark)

Wanted to mention it because it 1. Reinforces that he seems like a really great guy ("If you can take 5 minutes out of your life to make someone really happy, why wouldn't you do that?") and 2. Makes it clear that his tap skills are not forgotten and kindles my hope we'll see them in the freestyle at the end. 

Unrelated, I've decided where I'd most like to see the Apache dance. In a bumper. With Will Smith. In the finale. 

• Love 1
......2. Makes it clear that his tap skills are not forgotten and kindles my hope we'll see them in the freestyle at the end. 

Unrelated, I've decided where I'd most like to see the Apache dance. In a bumper. With Will Smith. In the finale.

I'm elated to hear about Alfonso tapping with a young girl and his tap skills are not forgotten. Still hoping beyond hope Alfonso and Witney slay in the Freestyle with a rousing tap number.

A bumper with Will and Alfonso doing the Apache Jump will just about make me jump for joy....everyone in the neighborhood will hear me cheering. Everyone with a Twitter account should Tweet that idea to Witfonso. That would be perfectly awesome.

I think part of this America's Choice nonsense they are all supposed to be asking for choreographic input from fans, as if that is going to end well.  But I agree that it's also a great song for a foxtrot too.

I was giving this some thought the other day.  Win or lose, this is one of the best partnerships the show has ever had. Witney still being relatively new to the show may play a role in that, but even the best known pairing may be polarizing to some.  But I have yet to see one major issue with these two from anyone.  That says a lot. 

(still hoping for an Apache finale.)

• Love 2

........(still hoping for an Apache finale.)

I think it may have been this forum that I read this so it is not my idea but......any chance Will Smith would dance a bumper on Tuesday's finale show with Alfonso and perform The Apache Jump? That would be more awesome than words can express. If that were to happen, ABC should run with it and advertise it before hand. Ratings would go through the roof!

I think it may have been this forum that I read this so it is not my idea but......any chance Will Smith would dance a bumper on Tuesday's finale show with Alfonso and perform The Apache Jump? That would be more awesome than words can express. If that were to happen, ABC should run with it and advertise it before hand. Ratings would go through the roof!

Alfonso says in this article from a few weeks ago why we may not see Will in the audience.  I guess I can see his logic but I hope finale time he makes an exception! The Jazz/Carlton routine is pretty close to becoming THE most watched DWTS dance of all seasons on YouTube with well over 4 million views, its only about 150,000 views from a dance from 4 years ago.  Crazy!

Alfonso says in this article from a few weeks ago why we may not see Will in the audience.  I guess I can see his logic but I hope finale time he makes an exception! The Jazz/Carlton routine is pretty close to becoming THE most watched DWTS dance of all seasons on YouTube with well over 4 million views, its only about 150,000 views from a dance from 4 years ago.  Crazy!

There was some interview where Alfonso made a point to say Will would not be in the audience on a MONDAY, because it went up against Jada's show. He kinda went out of his way to emphasize MONDAY, which gives my little Apache-loving heart hope for a Tuesday finale appearance. I don't want it promoted by ABC at all though, that would ruin it completely for me. I want it to be a surprise sneak attack return from commercial. And then I want one of the troupe dancers (Sasha?) to react by running through the studio in an homage to this: 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 3

Alfonso just posted this picture on his Facebook page of the Fresh Prince Reunion that happened last night! So cool.

So um I dont know about anyone else but I have to admit all these weeks, that as great as Alfonso has been I've always pretty much seen Carlton.  Last night though? Holy hell.  Dude brought the sexy last last night with that Paso! That was just insane. Apparently Argentine Tango is happening next week so I hope we see more of that.

• Love 3

I absolutely adore how close the Fresh Prince cast still is! Always warms my heart to see them back together. Tatyana is still beautiful - a gigantic part of me hopes Alfonso convinces her to do the show one day  very soon.

Anyway, he did an absolutely phenomenal job this week! He's typically very "cutesy" and fun in his dances, but he really did bring sexy to the paso and commanded the floor - I saw a very different side to him. I'm really excited for the Argentine tango.

Beyond Alfonso's dancing, his partnership with Witney is a highlight of the season for me as well. Amidst a really awful, unnecessary "showmance" and the usual manufactured drama on this show, their avuncular/big brother relationship comes across as very sweet and genuine.

Witfonso had an amazing week with two well planned and executed dances. I was left scratching my head when they received all 9s for their Foxtrot. No pizzazz, Carrie Ann? What was that all about? That dance was full of pizzazz....I just don't know what she was looking for in a Foxtrot. I knew Len was not going to give a 10 when he commented on Alfonso's footwork but Julianne gave glowing comments and still only scored them a 9. Alfonso didn't show it but I have no doubt he was disappointed in the scoring, especially since he commented that he had a break through with the ballroom hold.

The Paso trio was at another level and I have no idea how they pulled that off with the music selection that was so wrong in flavor for a Paso. Witney (with Lindsey's help I have no doubt) choreographed an exciting dance and she is shining this season. She and Alfonso are one of my favorite teams in all the seasons of this show.

• Love 2

Us Weekly/TMZ are reporting Alfonso may have to drop out due to his back injury, which has been preventing him from rehearsing this week. I'm going to be so bummed if he does (and I'm sure he and Witney will be devastated!). He's the only one left I really care about watching.

• Love 3

Ugghhh.I'll be beyond upset if he has to leave and the articles sound bad but his health is more important. Back injuries can be really dangerous if neglected. I had a bad feeling this week when neither he or Witney were tweeting from rehearsal.

DWTS BETTER not be messing with us trying to create drama for Monday.  They've done the "medical injury" crisis a few too many times for my cynical self to actually believe he will not compete on Monday.  That and I wanted to see a freestyle from him.  Waiting for Monday to know will now totally suck.

Apparently his wife posted that he's feeling better and he's also rehearsing again, at least to some degree. So hopefully it's not so bad and he can go on dancing. I love Alfonso and hope he wins it all this season! (-:

That said, if there is a risk that he's really jeopardizing his health, then he should pull out. Sure, it'll be disappointing, but at the end of the day it's a plastic glitterball.

DWTS BETTER not be messing with us trying to create drama for Monday.  They've done the "medical injury" crisis a few too many times for my cynical self to actually believe he will not compete on Monday.

I know what you mean but to be honest when I read the article that said he couldnt even walk the other day my mind immediately went back to Jennifer Grey.  The week of the finals she ruptured a disc in her back and there was talk she may not be able to dance due to the severity of the injury and that she couldnt even walk much less dance. I think she even ended up in the hospital the day of the final show.  Turns out they gave her epidural steroid shots and it got her through the final dances..however she really caused a lot of damage and a couple of days after the finale she ended up having spinal surgery. So sometimes this stuff could be pretty serious.  I worry because its not just the back but the groin injury has been ongoing as well.

Poor Alfonso. As if the groin injury's not bad enough, the back injury could cost him a spot in the finale. However, if it's very serious, I think that he should leave the competition, as much as I hate to say it. Hopefully, he'll get better by the finale because if he's out and my only choices are Derek & Bethany, Mark & Sadie and Janel & Val, then I vote "None Of the Above."

Edited by DollEyes

Alfonso tweeted this..

Hey #TeamWitfonso thanks 4 all the love. I'm working really hard to be able to dance Monday. Keep the prayers coming. Love you all.

and from Witney:

Thank you #TeamWitfonso for all the love. @alfonso_ribeiros back is better but still in pain... We are staying positive ❤️

Seriously I'm ready to form the prayer circle lol

• Love 2

Mark sent out a couple of snapchats tonight. DWTS now has a portable cryotherapy unit and Mark was getting a treatment on his shoulder and knee right there in the rehearsal room. Alfonso was sitting nearby. Mark said something about getting 10 seconds on his knee and Alfonso said he was up to 60. Witney joked about that being a wild feeling and there was some laughter so I don't know if Alfonso was joking about 60 or not. But it's good to see DWTS stepping up and providing this to the stars and pros who need it.

(I'm assuming DWTS has contracted for the cryotherapist visits and not the pros/stars having to arrange it for themselves - at least I hope!)

• Love 1

There's always Tommy Chong.

Not after this week, I'm guessing.

Re the cryotherapy, I hope that it'll be enough to help Alfonso make it to the Finals. I'm glad that he's feeling better.

About last week's dances, loved Alfonso & Witney's Foxtrot. I don't know which Foxtrot CA saw, but the one I saw looked like it was full of pizazz to me and it was certainly more 10s worthy than Mark, Sadie & Emma's trio Foxtrot, which Sadie screwed up. As for the Paso, DAAYYMM!! That was hot! I've never seen Alfonso as sexy before, but that Paso trio changed my mind.