Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Alfonso Ribeiro: The Tap Dance Kid

• Start Topic

More info about Alfonso & what he's been up to!

Alfonso’s interests and loves vary from acting, best known for his role as Carlton Banks on “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” to his active career today as a television director, host and voice-over. He made his first big role cast opposite Ricky Schroder in the long-running sitcom “Silver Spoons,” making him an instant teen idol. His directing credits include television shows “Shake It Up,” “Are We There Yet?” “The Wannabes,” “Meet The Browns,” “Cuts,” “Eve,” “One on One,” “All of Us” and “Mighty Med” on Disney XD.

Starting his acting career at the age of eight, Alfonso landed his first starring role in the Broadway musical “The Tap Dance Kid,” whereupon he was signed to famed music label Island Records. He became an overnight sensation, enamoring the likes of director Bob Geraldi, choreographer Michael Peters and “The King of Pop” Michael Jackson (who enlisted Alfonso in the infamous Pepsi commercial). After taking time to attend Cal State University, Los Angeles where he earned a Theater Arts education, Alfonso was offered a role in “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.” Alfonso played the memorable character of Carlton Banks, opposite his friend, Will Smith. Following six years on the popular series “Fresh Prince,” he was then approached by Quincy Jones to appear with L.L.Cool J in the NBC/UPN series “In the House.” Both can still be seen in syndication. In his free time, he plays sports and is a scratch golfer and a professional car racer, having received countless trophies and medals from numerous worldwide competitions. A native of The Bronx, New York, he currently resides in Southern California.

Dancing with Whitney Carson.

I'd love to see a male celeb win this season.  The last man to win was Donald Driver in season 14 so it's time to see a guy get the Coveted Mirrorball Trophy. ®.  Here's hoping Alfonso gets it.

I'm on board for Alfonso to win. He is my pre season favorite. I want to see this guy tap!!!

Why do I have a memory of Alfonso being on DWTS in a previous season?

I'm not sure who else is similar to Alfonso. The guy who played Steve Urkel (Jaleel White) was on this show a couple seasons back. That's the only guy from that same TV era who played a nerdy guy on a sitcom. But this is the first time Alfonso has been on, for sure.

Why do I have a memory of Alfonso being on DWTS in a previous season?  Am I thinking of something else?

I've seen several people have the same "memory".  I think Alfonso was friends with a former contestant (Joey Fatone maybe? I think it was one of the boy banders) and was periodically seen in the video packages/audience.

Sorry for those deleted posts. I didn't mean to multi post.

I think Alfonso will be much more likeable than Jaleel White was on this show.

I was wondering what you wanted to say LOL!

Agree. I think he's somewhat more even-keeled and he's got to know fans of the show have been wanting him on for a while now.

Sorry for those deleted posts. I didn't mean to multi post.

I think Alfonso will be much more likeable than Jaleel White was on this show.

I've seen Alfonso as a game show host the last couple of years and he comes off as VERY likable and funny so thats a huge plus.  and the other difference between him and Jaleel is that Jaleel IIRC tried to distance himself from "Urkel"..Alfonso has already said more than once he'll have no problem at all busting out the "Carlton" dance if i thats what fans want.  I like that he embraces where he came from. He seems like a really cool guy.

• Love 1

I've seen Alfonso as a game show host the last couple of years and he comes off as VERY likable and funny so thats a huge plus.  and the other difference between him and Jaleel is that Jaleel IIRC tried to distance himself from "Urkel"..Alfonso has already said more than once he'll have no problem at all busting out the "Carlton" dance if i thats what fans want.  I like that he embraces where he came from. He seems like a really cool guy.

There are quite a few videos on YouTube of Alfonso embracing the Carlton dance, especially clips from Fresh Prince. He seems like a lot of fun. I've seen the first rehearsal for this show with Witney and she asked him to tap. He gave her a sample of what he can still do and she seemed very pleased that he can still tap. She is trained as a tapper so I'm hoping to see them do a tap Freestyle. As you can see.....I've already got them in the finals. LOL.

• Love 2

I am sad this thread isn't called The Carlton.

I know it's obvious, and not really clever. 

But still---he's CARLTON!!!! 

I started this thread because I was shocked to discover Alfonso was a tapper when he was a kid and a great one at that. I knew Alfonso as Carlton from The Fresh Prince but posted this thread to inform folks that he was a tap dancer.

• Love 2

I feel like you could do a Foxtrot to It's Not Unusual. A really Hollywood style one. Maybe I'm wrong. Paging legaleagle! If it would work, it would be terrific. I will keep checking in the show for Alfonso alone, he was just fantastic.

The Quickstep would be perfect for Its Not Unusual.  In fact that song has been featured on compilation albums specifically that feature songs for ballroom dancing/the Quickstep.  I kind if hope they wait a few weeks to bust out The Carlton..right now Alfonso has so much momentum from this week and there's still plenty of fodder. I wouldn't be surprised though if they go with that (or perhaps Billie Jean) when they get to the regular Memorable Year week.

Alfonso killed it this week, ringer or not. That Jive deserved both the best score of the week and the Encore. As for future dances, ITA that he and Witney should save the Carlton for the Finals if/when they get that far and that they should use "It's Not Unusual" for the Quickstep, but what I would love to see is them dancing either the Cha-Cha, the Samba or the Paso Doble to "Apache," which would be a shout-out to the Will and Carlton "male stripper" episode of Fresh Prince.

Edited by DollEyes

I had a giant crush on Alfonso in the 80s; a lot of little black girls did at that time. It waned once he was on Fresh Prince, though of course I loved his character. I don't usually stick with DWTS past the second episode, but I may watch for him. (And to see if Vanessa Marcil shows up so GH fans can have a Jagger & Brenda reunion!)

Edited by tvallthetime

I'm just trying to figure out what is the best kind of dance is suitable for It's Not Unusual. Because the Carlton needs to happen. He's the only reason I'm giving the show a bit of time this year.

I honestly don't want to see Alfonso break out the Carlton Dance until the Freestyle. Those moves really don't fit in with any of the dance genres that are featured on this show. A tap Freestyle featuring the Carlton Dance would be epic!!!!

I had a giant crush on Alfonso in the 80s; a lot of little black girls did at that time. It waned once he was on Fresh Prince, though of course I loved his character. I don't usually stick with DWTS past the second episode, but I may watch for him. (And to see if Vanessa Marcil shows up so GH fans can have a Jax & Brenda reunion!)

Ingo was on a couple seasons ago, Antonio played Jagger.

• Love 1

That was by far the best jive ever performed on DWTS.  It ticked me off a bit that Alfonso didn't get all 10s for it.  I know, I know, it would be "awkward" for the show to have a contestant get a perfect score in the opening episode, but four 9s was dishonest imo.   There wasn't a single picky critique from any of the judges because Alfonso blew the roof off.  I'm quite interested to see him do one of the Latin dances.  If he has good lateral movement, there will be nobody who can beat him this season and I won't mind a bit. 

• Love 1

I just had an idea for Alfonso's freestyle: It could be either 60s or 90s-themed, with Alfonso and Witney  doing various dances of the period leading up to the Carlton to "It's Not Unusual," which would be performed by (who else?) Tom Jones, who has appeared on Fresh Prince before, so, Heaven willing, there won't be a problem getting him on the show.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

I just had an idea for Alfonso's freestyle: It could be either 60s or 90s-themed, with Alfonso and Witney  doing various dances of the period leading up to the Carlton to "It's Not Unusual," which would be performed by (who else?) Tom Jones, who has appeared on Fresh Prince before, so, Heaven willing, there won't be a problem getting him on the show.

I'm hoping for a Tap Dance Freestyle with a bit of the Carlton Dance thrown in. Witney is trained in tap and I have no doubt Alfonso can brush up enough on his tap (he was an incredible tapper when he was a kid) to WOW us all with a rousing tap number. I saw a video of Carlton and Witney's first rehearsal and Witney verified with Alfonso that he is a tapper. Wearing sneakers, he then demonstrated some tap steps. The look on her face was sheer elation and she commented to him that it was fantastic that he can tap.

Witney needs to play her cards right and bring both of their skills in tap to the viewers who watch this show. It will be the first time ever for a tap Freestyle. I hope Witney is reading this!!!

As for an appearance by Tom Jones.....I would be happy to see him in the audience when Alfonso does break out the Carlton Dance but even happier if Tom Jones would sing the iconic song for the iconic dance.

Edited by luvthepros

Apparently Tom Jones doesn't keep his own website up to date, but according to Ticketmaster, his only scheduled concerts are

9/24 Melbourne, Australia

10/25 Mountain View, CA

10/26 Mountain View, CA

I'd bet DWTS music people are already on it to see if he'd come on the show.

Apparently Tom Jones doesn't keep his own website up to date, but according to Ticketmaster, his only scheduled concerts are

9/24 Melbourne, Australia

10/25 Mountain View, CA

10/26 Mountain View, CA

I'd bet DWTS music people are already on it to see if he'd come on the show.

Hope so.

Will and Alfonso reprised the Carlton dance and the Apache dance on Graham Norton last year

And Alfonso wasn't there, but Tom Jones was when Will did the Fresh Prince theme song the year before

I know that's British TV and not US TV, but I hope if/when they reference them on this show they get creative with it, and not just keep riding the nostalgia. (Alfonso can handle some more creativity, I want to see him work a little.) 

• Love 3

There's actually another clip of the Alfonso/DJ Jazzy Jeff/Graham Norton Show on YouTube that has well over 25 million views..between that and how absolutely bonkers the crowd went it just convinces me further that the nostalgia factor could be a VERY strong factor on DWTS. 

• Love 1

I'm in favor of a tap dance freestyle. It would be something unique for this show. I think no matter what, though, that Witney is a pro that could choreograph a GOOD freestyle so I do hope they make it to the finals. It will make up for not getting the Sharna/Charlie freestyle I wanted last season.

I've been only a fitful viewer of DWTS the past few seasons, but I'm glad I checked this guy out. I was impressed with Whitney Carson last season - her cha cha with Drew Carey. She's got great natural musicality and humor/timing. I think she got this guy because he's capable (and they wanted to give her somebody capable) and also because it sort of wastes her to match her up with another cute young thing. Rubeiro was absolutely fantastic in the jive. The main advantage I can see with his tap background is he can turn, and his movement extends to his fingertips. His hands are relaxed and expressive. He uses them. Even the most talented DWTS celebs tend to have hands that are a bit wooden, that slam into space or are just dead. It makes a big difference when the guy knows how to use his hands when he's dancing. His personality certainly seems easy to take. He knows he's capable, but he seemed very excited about his scores, and I'm happy for him. Rooting for him at the moment.

I think she got this guy because he's capable (and they wanted to give her somebody capable) and also because it sort of wastes her to match her up with another cute young thing.

I just assumed it was because they're both short.

• Love 1

I think their mutual tap experience wasn't an accident either. 

Agree with this. I've said this before and I'll say it again......hoping for a tap Freestyle from these two with a bit of the Carlton dance for good measure.

• Love 2

The freestyle seems like it'd be a good place to put in the Carlton but then they'd be boxed into "It's Not Unusual."  I could also see it used in the group dance because, let's face it, everyone would probably want to do the Carlton with Carlton.

• Love 1

The freestyle seems like it'd be a good place to put in the Carlton but then they'd be boxed into "It's Not Unusual."  I could also see it used in the group dance because, let's face it, everyone would probably want to do the Carlton with Carlton.

"It's Not Unusual" has good rhythms for a tap number, I think. But....your suggestion of having a group routine with the Carlton dance is genius. It would be funny to see the pros struggling to get all those body isolations correct.That would be great!