Type keyword(s) to search

David Tutera's CELEBration - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Omarosa? Really? Did they run out of C-list celebs and are now working from the D-list? Who pays for these events? I know a huge part of it is comped, but there must still be some charges that are paid from somewhere. WEtv? The D-list celeb? David? Maybe that's why celebs sign on. They get a discounted Tutera event. Wish he would go back to pleasing unfortunate brides.

• Love 1

I saw the Omarosa episode.  What a bunch of manufactured drama.  The assistant, who has supposedly been doing events for Tutera for ages, forgets to get the fire permit.  First of all, if it were such a big event, the assistant would have other minions doing the jobs, delegating out small items, basically acting as the project manager.  The way David is portrayed, he basically says - off camera - I want this and that and this and the assistant has to "make it so".  I would prefer that they show more of the actual planning than the stupid made up drama.  I'm sure there's enough drama in getting the right flowers, fabrics, tables, etc.

Of course, the "celeb" loves everything at the end, and David is their new hero.  The celebs they have are really going lower and lower down the food chain; F list is about right.  Now, they're previewing a sweet 16 party for a former Disney girl, China.  If I recall, she had a show on for a few seasons, not a huge hit, plus one tv movie from Disney.  Not exactly a household name for those outside of the tween demographics.  

David needs to go back to planning the weddings.  I know WEtv is trying to get away from the wedding stuff, but honestly their programming stinks.  Marriage Boot Camp - only watch when it's the only thing on - as a rerun.  This show, again, catch as a rerun if it's the only thing on at the time.  Won't even watch the SVU or whatever that is, nor the Braxtons, and not Kendra.  I mainly tune into WEtv if they are running old CSI, Law & Order, or old sitcoms.  Their original programming is really bad.

I loved the show on HGTV I think, where it showed the planners with the wedding couples, actually going over budgets.  The planners were rotated, but basically the same ones throughout the season.  I also liked the Platinum Weddings show to see how the grand weddings were planned.  If David's claim to fame is planning events, then show him PLANNING the events.  The extra scenes with him bonding or arguing with celebs is just garbage.

• Love 2

Ugly confession: I watched the China's Sweet 16 episode. Sucked. Not that everything wasn't a smashing success, according to David, but the faux stress, dipshit drama and every single moment of anyone kvetching to a camera could have been a high school production of a reality show. Don't think that was influenced by the tween subject--this thing went to the dogs (sorry, dogs) long ago.

eta: Out of sequence editing was hilarious--when Brandy shows up to surprise China, David greets her in darkness. The rest of the show was filmed in daytime.

Edited by buttersister

David needs to go back to planning the weddings.  I know WEtv is trying to get away from the wedding stuff, but honestly their programming stinks.  Marriage Boot Camp - only watch when it's the only thing on - as a rerun.  This show, again, catch as a rerun if it's the only thing on at the time.  Won't even watch the SVU or whatever that is, nor the Braxtons, and not Kendra.  I mainly tune into WEtv if they are running old CSI, Law & Order, or old sitcoms.  Their original programming is really bad.

I soooo agree with this. I cannot tolerate their "reality" shows and I only see the commercials during Law & Order reruns. I enjoyed watching his wedding planning, but this show is just c**p. I've quit watching.

David's ex-husband was a producer, among other things, on the prior show. I've always thought that he had to change it up completely to keep from having to share future income from the show.

It has become too formulaic. When they were looking for a Disney star for Holly Robinson Peete's party, it was obvious they were going to use that girl from a previous episode. I knew Brandy was going to appear when they asked for her, and all the last minute rushes regarding Slomique and now the clothing woman are predictable and dumb. I only watch when nothing else is on.

The birthday party for 31 year old Angela Simmons looked like a party for a 7 year old.  Even with the tablecloth change out.  It's fine but it was a kid's party.

Slomique is probably acting for the cameras but it's old and annoying her schtick.  In this episode and a prior one for Porsha Williams, Slomo was ultra bitchy and high pitched whiny.  Ugh.

• Love 1
(edited)

Please bear with me, this does relate. There is a commercial for the Melissa McCarthy's new movie, I think it's Spy, but I'm too lazy to look it up. The scene is Melissa and a male companion at a classy restaurant, she's eating her napkin and he tells her. She answers she's cleansing her palate. Every time I hear this, I think of one of David Tutera's first brides in the wedding make over. He took the lovely bride to a restaurant, they had sorbet between courses and he asked if she knew why. She answered "to cleanse their platelets".  To his credit, he didn't break a smile. But he has snarked on her some of the "best moments" shows. I laughed and laughed and now I laugh because I substitute platelets for platelet.

Edited by friendperidot

Not sure if this is the place for this - but I keep seeing the promos for the new season.  The three celebs they're showing are :  Spencer & Heidi, Vivica Fox, and Big Ang  I feel so embarrassed for David.  He surely cannot need the money.  This show doesn't really help his brand at all.

Go back to showing him planning nice weddings.  This is just awful.  A show you watch when nothing else is on or you're up at 3 a.m. and sick or cannot sleep.

It's 2 a.m. I see this show is on and it is creating a bridal shower for Vanessa Williams and originally aired on October 30, even though I don't remember any commercials for it. I had to turn channels because of Slomique at 20 minutes. I had forgotten how much she bugged at she would.not.stop. Reruns of Raising Hope it is! Insomnia sucks.

Also, it looks like the next episode is with Ian Ziering for a fundraiser, and OMG! David invited someone from 90210 and Ian didn't agree to it. The horror!

I'm a glutton for punishment so I watched the Vanessa Williams "bridal shower". I was hoping David Tutera had had some insight into how bad last season's shows were. Ohhh, nooooo. We now have David Tutera, fanboy. I'm surprised he didn't need his lips sandblasted off of Ms. Williams' butt. And perhaps I should mention that Ms. Williams did not come off so well herself.

Newsflash to Vanessa Williams: One does not have a "bridal shower" when one is on one's third marriage and pushing 50. One has a "bridal luncheon". Or a party. Or some other event that does not require a troupe of salsa dancers so the bride can show off for the all-female guests.

David Tutera obviously thinks the fact he's appearing on-camera now in suits and ties gives him gravitas. Or something. Whatever.

So far, I've watched the Taylor Armstrong episode (because I love weddings) and the Lil Kim episode (because I used to be a huge fan of hers). This show is kind of a mess. I love the end products and David is a wonderful party planner, but I found Taylor and Lil Kim kind of annoying and insufferable. Lil Kim came off like she wasn't all there mentally, from the constant giggling to the lisp (which she didn't have before) to the constant tardiness to her having a bodyguard everywhere she went...I didn't like her episode.

I wonder why David/WE moved away from the weddings. Was it because of ratings? I much prefer the wedding format to this if we're going to be subjected to this mess.

I just saw this episode. Lil Kim's bodyguard was Grizz Chapman, who played a recurring character on 30 Rock named Grizz. Lil Kim's manner of speaking was truly frightening. She didn't use sound like that. Seriously, the woman has been through some trauma because she seems completely unmoored and disconnected to how she used to be.

Also, it looks like the next episode is with Ian Ziering for a fundraiser, and OMG! David invited someone from 90210 and Ian didn't agree to it. The horror!

That was a total misdirection. He was actually happy to see Tori Spelling and Gabrielle Carteris. I did think it was weird that they hadn't seen each other in over 15 years.

Slomique is probably acting for the cameras but it's old and annoying her schtick.  In this episode and a prior one for Porsha Williams, Slomo was ultra bitchy and high pitched whiny.  Ugh.

I've had about as much as I can take of Slomique. I think she thinks she's the star of this show. Way too much of her for my taste. Probably because she's just so loud and a tad bit unprofessional. I truly hope that she is playing it up for TV because otherwise, I can't see why David hasn't fired her by now.

That being said, give me more Montree. I don't mind him at all. I hope that we get to see his wedding.

I DVR'ed the first episode of the second season of this because I had to see if there was any change at all to this trainwreck. Spoiler alert: It's worse.

Tori Spelling's youngest child turns three. The best part of the episode: Her cheating husband is nowhere to be found. This was the most frustrating hour of television I have watched since the time I saw David Tutera's last effort.

Someone needs to tell Tori Spelling that she needs to do whatever she can do to make up with her mother and get the hell off our TV screens. Her efforts to "act" in this episode are excruciating. They're almost as excruciating as David Tutera's efforts to make the rest of us believe he's still 20 via increasingly aggressive plastic surgery. When we weren't marveling at the creative use of lighting and makeup, we were dumbfounded by the producers' idea that putting two terminally anal-retentive control freaks together to plan a 3 year old's birthday party would be a fun ol' time.

Another spoiler alert: I told the husband early in the episode that from the foreshadowing I predicted that Tori Spelling was going to become one of Tutera's "assistants". Yup. One has to wonder how badly Tutera needs money to agree to this.

Watch it if you dare. I'm sure Tutera's ex-husband enjoyed every minute of it.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 1

Ugh. Tori Spelling. Can David please give her a makeover? Her hair color and makeup colors do not work with her complexion. 

Some of these D-list celebrities are unlikable. I would like to see David go back to weddings or events for batshit crazy civilians. At least the civilians aren't filled with self-importance. 

• Love 2

Some of these D-list celebrities are unlikable. I would like to see David go back to weddings or events for batshit crazy civilians. At least the civilians aren't filled with self-importance. 

I wonder if Tutera lost the ability to feature weddings on a television show at all in the divorce. In other words, he'd have to pay his former husband every time he produced a show featuring a wedding, so this is his way of getting around it.

I've watched all kinds of trash TV, but CELEBrations is unwatchable. The new combo of Tori Spelling and David Tutera makes me stabby as well.

• Love 1

I didn't think of the fact that David's ex could get some cash or rights to the show if they continued with weddings.  Was he part of the team on the very old shows that David did?  I mean when he was a respected designer?  He has tarnished his reputation with these garbage shows.  The plastic surgery is over the top, but there are fashion designers who went nuts with the plastic surgery yet kept their business reputations intact.  

And the previews show Tori plotting with some newbie against some other assistant.  Please. Stop. It. Now  I want to watch someone who has skill plan and design events.  I don't care about the drama.  All we see is someone calling a vendor and freaking out about not being able to get whatever, then they get it at the last minute.  I'd like to see them actually planning and coming up with innovative ideas.  

I would like to see more of the bling...dresses, decorations, food, flowers, lighting, etc. and what went into deciding which items would be used. It would be great to see more of the sponsor's items for longer than a second. The driver, Slomique and the event planner from NY appear to be professional. Tori Spelling might be okay but she needs to act and dress (get a makeover) like a professional. All events have last minute items. No one cares to see anyone fret about these things. I do like the mini wrap-up that they do at the end.

I would go to work if I wanted to see bickering co-workers.

Some of these celebrities have been enjoyable. Big Ang comes to mind. We don't need to see anymore self-absorbed d-listers-especially if they cry a lot.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:55 PM, jumper sage said:

Just tried watching the birthday party for Buddy, The Cake Boss, wife.  It is sooo scripted.  Of course the cake was wrecked 30 seconds after 1 person picked it up.

And recreated PERFECTLY an hour later!

• Love 1

Watching the episode with Niecy Nash's Sweet Sixteen party for her daughter. The daughter is A-dorable! She & Niecy look like twins. What a beautiful, sweet, unspoiled young lady. Her parents should be very proud.

I can't take my eyes off the female assistants. They. Look. Ridiculous. The one had trout pout lip injections. Didn't that giant upper lip die out with Meg Ryan's career? The other looked like The Cowardly Lion; she had enough hair extensions for 4 people. Unbeweavable.