Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: The Trouble With Troubles

Tabbyclaw

Audrey awakes in a Trouble-free Haven to discover that no one remembers her--save for William, who is also immune to the Troubles. But the town's newfound peace is shattered when William reveals his terrible plan and Audrey must fight for the town she loves in a Haven where she's never existed.

I like about 75 per cent of this episode ie the beginning, the comedy of landing in a town with no Troubles etc.

Emily Rose did the comedy really well, dandy Vince and Dave were cute and I even minimally liked William here.

But Dr. Douche indeed.

Liked Detective Duke as well.

Trouble-free Haven is definitely one of the more fun alternaverses I've come across. I love how ridiculously pristine it is, and how even though the show is already filmed somewhere bright and gorgeous they somehow managed to make the lighting even more aggressively beautiful and colorful. I found myself wondering if it was inspired by/a tiny nod to The Wizard of Oz, since Dorothy's dream was to find "a place where there isn't any trouble." I wish we'd seen a little more of it, at least as far as other characters go (and I'd have loved a quick shot of Simon as the police chief), but that would have overstuffed the episode damn quick. Still, we did get a little nod to everyone else in Audrey's "hit list," which included several dead characters, all the former MEs, and Julia. But not Stan. Really, Audrey? All you've been through together, and you still don't like him enough to think that someone might hurt him to get to you?

This is the episode where I really started to hate having William on my screen. Colin Ferguson does the earnest stuff well

as well as the sinister stuff later

, but he makes an obnoxiously hammy and uninteresting "gleefully malicious" villain.

I think the biggest laugh from pristine alterna-Haven is that "gasp! oh no!" reaction, complete with ominous chord in the soundtrack, to go with the revelation of the "Safest town in Maine" sign. Only on this show would that be considered something shocking and terrible.

I was pretty impressed by how well Dr. Nathan and Det. Duke worked -- you still got the sense that they were the same people after having lived in entirely different circumstances, so they were just different enough while being similar at heart.

Apparently I suffer from some defect because I found the whole Dr. Nathan and Detective Duke teamwork painfully unfunny. I tend to fast forward the stuff about saving the doctors alternate reality family.

I know there were glimpses of the real versions showing through but over all I wasn't amused.

You know what I also love? That Detective Duke found Audrey nice matching and fitting clothes and Converses to wear.

Nobody hurts Stan. He'll be the last one standing after everyone else dies melodramatic self sacrificing deaths.

• Love 1
Nobody hurts Stan. He'll be the last one standing after everyone else dies melodramatic self sacrificing deaths.

Stan for Chief! The final scene of the final episode will be Stan at the chief's desk, tackling the mountain of paperwork generated by all the climactic disasters.

Though Rafferty (the blond female cop) ending up as chief would be funny in a meta inside joke way.

• Love 1