Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Getting the DCC Look

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

IIRC, when it was time for the kickline, and Christina was not in the main line, because she said she was in pain when she does that, i saw her linked up (arms linked like they do in the line) off to the side with Vivian. What is up with that?  Has Vivian had any kickline problems anyone knows of ? (Gotta watch again to make sure that's what i saw)

Edited by Dopeydwarf

I noticed the same thing, DopeyDwarf.  When Kelli made the comment about why were they even thinking of taking these girls who were always injured, I noticed there were 3 of them off to the side.  I'm not sure who the third was but it was definitely Vivian and Christina.  I think there was another quick cut to the same 3 in last week's episode. 

Do you think that Melissa would have chosen Christina to be in her private dance help session, except she must have known she was on the chopping block?  That could explain the sudden "appearance" of Chandler.   Melissa seemed to be rooting for Christina and she was one who could have really used the mentoring session..

Yes, I agree I would rather see more of the rookies instead of promos for Belk, etc.   In order to figure out who the rookie candidates are I am constantly replaying the moments on my DVR when the girls are sitting on the floor waiting for their name to be called into Kelli's office.  I am pushing the back up button and then play and pause then cursing because I paused it just half a second too late....AHHHH!   So frustrating.  I am sure my family thinks I have lost my mind.

I also think the vets should get makeovers as well.   

Something doesn't set well with me when I see Loren.   It just seems like she is thinking about doing really terrible things while smiling on the outside.  Creepy.

• Love 3

Mackenzie's kicks were low but I think between Brittany (not Schram....the one with the high voice) and other vets on the squad, Kelly and Judy knew how much she was working on the problem. In addition, Mackenzie's dancing rivaled some of the vets during training camp...and that was in the words of Kelly and Judy. She brought something to the team more than just great power and projection. Her personality was good for the squad.

Judy told Christina in week one that her kick technique was wrong. I still don't know why the girl did not seek out a vet to help her....or that former DCC who occasionally pops in who is primarily a kicking coach. If you keep practicing with the wrong technique, you will not improve.

Speaking of kicks, I'm surprised that Alexandra wasn't called in for hers.

After a second viewing, I now see Chandler as Sydney 2.0. I can't unsee it now.

Finally, I think Vivian's shtick is to be the victim / to get a pity play. Last year, her audition backstory revolved around her being chubby in her youth and having to struggle back from that. Then she got reamed by kitty over Tin Man. (And I still think that was totally bs. If that wasn't planned on her part, she would not have had a new routine by auditions...which is why she didn't revise her solo this year when criticized again). Now it's the boyfriend. And after her crappy rehearsal, she actually had the audacity to disagree with Kelly, claiming she is a more powerful dancer now ?!?!

Edited by English Teacher
  • Love 1

I forgot to mention in my first post....I really liked (what we saw) of that "country funk" dance the guest choreographer taught them. I felt a little bad for Breelan. With only 3 red heads in training camp, she had to dance with two vets when it was time to show what they had learned.

I know... I thought the same thing that Breelan would really be under the radar. That said, she got a positive comment from Kelli, which is always good. plus I would rather be potentially told things now than be someone like Alex who was never called into the office and then just cut from TC right before making the team (first time, glad she made DCC following season of course)

Yes! Loved the country Funk. I hope we see more from that choreographer... Seems like she could present something new and fresh for DCC.

Edited by mardo4
  • Love 1

Vivian has ALWAYS played the victim card. From last season calling herself the ugly duckling and talking about growing up with nothing to eat except cereal and hot dogs, to now the boyfriend drama, etc. So what. She isn't the first or the last to go through an awkward stage and not be born into upper middle class homes. Most women have had a breakup somewhere along the way. 

I always thought her stories were 90% embellished BS. If they were so destitute and had to stay with relatives, how did she afford years of dance training? We've seen her working with the DCC for two years, and she isn't a Misty Copeland who started late but picked up extremely quickly.

I wonder, like with many families with single mothers, if it was just more convenient financially and logistically to share homes with relatives. As for the hotdogs and cereal being all you can afford, that just rang false. We were never wealthy, but ok financially, and if it were up to my dad, yeah, we'd eat hotdogs and cereal every day. They're both easy and simple, and that man loves a good hot dog.

She reminds me of a girl I danced with growing up, who had a single mom (the girl was a result of an affair her mom had with a married man who did pay child support). They lived with her grandparents for logistics and financial reasons, and this girl was always 'woe is me, we're so poor, I don't know where my next meal comes from', but they could always pay for extra privates, she drove a Mustang convertible, carried Louis Vuitton purses, wore designer dresses to every prom, etc., but that girl cry, pout, throw you under the bus and basically do anything to be featured or get solos.

Vivian has just read as very false and conniving to me from Day 1. There's just an untrustworthy vibe about her.

• Love 2

How they picked up that choreography so fast is just beyond me.  I think it's amazing.

I do too... And it is a shame the great dancing got a little eclipsed from the makeovers. I got caught up in other details of this episode. But they truly r great dancers. Amazing amt of dedication to be able to dance like that long hours. V cool
  • Love 2

The only opinion I have about Vivian is that it isn't cute to act all coy and peek through your hair and use a whispery baby voice to your potential employers. Grow up.

Yes. This has been annoying me all season. She does it EVERY TIME she speaks to K&J or the other judges during auditons.

• Love 2

Kelly was roasted again on The Soup. This time over cutting Megan for being too stocky for the uniform. I am paraphrasing slightly, but Joel McHale said the only thing Megan is too fat to be is maybe a stalk of wheat.

Edited by English Teacher
  • Love 1

Kelly was roasted again on The Soup. This time over cutting Megan for being too stocky for the uniform. I am paraphrasing slightly, but Joel McHale said the only thing Megan is too fat to be is maybe a stalk of wheat.

I just spit out my tea. That is classic. I wonder if that clip is on YouTube. I'd love to see it.

This was probably one of the most boring episodes I've seen thus far. I really have nothing to say about it. Except that Stephanie, the country funk guest choreographer, is a director at PowerHouse Studio of Dance. Kali, Kinzie, Olivia, & Vivian all work there.

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 1

I just spit out my tea. That is classic. I wonder if that clip is on YouTube. I'd love to see it.

This was probably one of the most boring episodes I've seen thus far. I really have nothing to say about it. Except that Stephanie, the country funk guest choreographer, is a director at PowerHouse Studio of Dance. Kali, Kinzie, Olivia, & Vivian all work there.

She is also the director of the AA Ice Angels. That's why Vivian and Alexandra smiled when she came I out.

Something doesn't set well with me when I see Loren.   It just seems like she is thinking about doing really terrible things while smiling on the outside.  Creepy.

Yes, it doesn't make sense at first because she should be pretty: everything on her face is symmetrical, nothing is too big or sticks out, lovely color eyes, etc.  But I've figured out the two causes and neither is really her fault, so I'm probably going to hell, but here ya go:

1) Her eyebrows start out way too low over her eyes.  That gives the evil impression.  there's nothing she can do to fix that unless she gets some sort of lift or tuck.  maybe she should have invested in that instead of new boobs.  

2)  When she smiles, she smiles by sticking out her chin instead of smiling with her cheeks, and it looks stiff.  and she's done it like that for so many years that in the area where dimples are supposed to be there are lines.  

Now to turn this into a compliment sandwich: i do think she has very pretty blue eyes, fabulous long legs and amazingly toned abs.  

Edited by ThreaLevelMidnight
  • Love 2

When she said she'd "always been blonde", I immediately thought, those brown eyebrows say otherwise, honey. Also, saying you've "always been blonde" kind of connotes that it's natural, and that brassy mess on her head was not natural.

Non-natural blondes can be blonde, but they need to go to a stylist who knows what they are doing, and it shouldn't be one flat color to be believable. True blonde is dimensional and has more than one shade. Look at blonde kids' hair to see what I mean.

• Love 4

She is also the director of the AA Ice Angels. That's why Vivian and Alexandra smiled when she came I out.

Yes, I know she is. I THINK they practice at Power House. I didn't mention that bc it was mentioned in the episode. 

Edited by PrincessLeia

So I just watched the episode again. As much as Vivian grates on me this season, I am going to give her a break about the guy. She is young. Men have a way of destroying you sometimes, especially when you are young and don't know any better. I escaped a horrible relationship at 26, and never looked back, but we had psycho problems off and on for years before I finally walked away. He'd break up with me and I would fall apart. I thought I'd never meet anyone else, and it consumed me. My grades slipped and I had a hard time focusing at work. Would I allow a man to rule my life like this now? Hec no. I'm 33 and I know better.  I bring this up only because I empathize with Vivian. She's a baby in regards to relationships, and I can easily see how she's let this breakup affect everything. It's sad. I want to shake her and tell her to snap out of it. Obviously Kelli & Judy got it, because their words to her were very supportive and understanding. 

She's going to regret letting this guy get into her head, because she gets cut and doesn't make any other squads.  It's obvious something was going on with her because her dancing had noticeably slipped since last year. Oh, and Alexandra should have been cut on this episode. I think I could kick better.

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 3

I don't agree with people saying that it's unfair for Breelan for be dancing next to Emma and Rachel two vets , if she wants to make the team she's gonna dance next to vets anyway !

P.S thanks whoever pointed out that That Alexandra danced with Stephanie D before how did that happened Alexandra ? kinda sucks if she's used to Stephanie's hard & fast teaching why is she struggling so much ?! I also loved Stephanie and thought choreography was cool and fun  

I don't think it was unfair that Breelan had to dance next to Emma and Rachel, I just kind of felt bad for her.  With only three dancers, Judy and Kelli would be looking extra hard at them and dancing next to two girls who have oodles of experience must have been scary for her.  Now that I am thinking about it, though, I believe it was the new dance that they were doing and not the normal routines so that should have made it a little better....putting them all on even footing, so to speak. 

I think it was this episode (although it might have been the last one) that I heard either J or K say that there were lots of mistakes from rookies AND vets.  It doesn't seem like they ever change the dance steps so I have to wonder how a vet, who has been doing these exact same dances for the last year at least, is making mistakes.  I would think those dances would be ingrained into their minds and muscle memories by this point!

denisett, I didn't notice that it was Cassie's photo that they focused on....now I am going to have to go look.  LOL  I live with my best friend and he doesn't not understand why I keep each episode for a full week until the next one airs (Hell, he doesn't understand why I watch this show to begin with, but that's a whole other rant *grin*) but this is exactly why.  I love being able to go back and look at things after I see comments here.  :)

• Love 2

I think it was this episode (although it might have been the last one) that I heard either J or K say that there were lots of mistakes from rookies AND vets.  It doesn't seem like they ever change the dance steps so I have to wonder how a vet, who has been doing these exact same dances for the last year at least, is making mistakes.  I would think those dances would be ingrained into their minds and muscle memories by this point!

It was this Ep in the 2nd rehersel after the fashion show they were doing Stephanie dance just with pompoms and i guess it's new so they messed up , also they make up a few new sideline dances every that the one of the reason the have group leaders , Judy trys the new dances on them  before the teach it to the rest of the girls  former dcc Ally T wrote that in a blog once .

It was this Ep in the 2nd rehersel after the fashion show they were doing Stephanie dance just with pompoms and i guess it's new so they messed up , also they make up a few new sideline dances every that the one of the reason the have group leaders , Judy trys the new dances on them  before the teach it to the rest of the girls  former dcc Ally T wrote that in a blog once .

During and after Stephanie's training before the girls sat down and waited who got called into the office, there was a white board in the back with pictures of 30 (?) girls, it looked like they were paired up or something. Some of the Rookie candidates were looking at it before they sat down. Does anyone know what that might have been about?

The only opinion I have about Vivian is that it isn't cute to act all coy and peek through your hair and use a whispery baby voice to your potential employers. Grow up.

Vivian has just read as very false and conniving to me from Day 1. There's just an untrustworthy vibe about her.

The focus on Vivian is about to ruin the show for me.  I find it incredibly hard to believe that Kelli would be swayed on her own opinion in any way, but I can find no other explanation for "The Vivian Show" other than Kelli is doing damage control by appeasing the "fans" after least year's outcome.  I never understood the appeal of the girl to begin with, or what made people so passionate about her, but I too get an untrustworthy or manipulative vibe about her.  The whispery, sad sack confession about her heartbreak reeked of manipulation.....to where I could see her laughing about it with a friend later.  

• Love 2

I disagree about Nicole needing a makeover.  Curls like that only do so many different styles, and Courtney wasn't a good example of alternatives, because her inverted triangle afro last season looked kind of crazy.  Fun, but certainly not polished.  So Nicole basically could have shorter hair (and her hair has varied a few inches over the years), or they could straighten it, which would make her look like every other DCC.  If it ain't broke...she's gorgeous.

Maybe Brittany wasn't there to lose weight, but just as an ad model in the product placement?

I wish this were true, but it was because they wanted her to loose weight.  

In the article on My Fit Foods that Brittney wrote for the DCC website, she says she was asked to do this because she had been yo-yo dieting and needed to tone up. And she said that she lost about 8 pounds on the program. I'm thinking that's at least 7 pounds too much. As I posted earlier, I think her head looks too big for her body in her cameo this year--she's too skinny now.

I, too, liked the country funk dance they learned, and it was fun to see them all busting their asses so hard in rehearsal.  Am I wrong in thinking this choreographer has had more than a few injections in her face or some other kind of work done?  There was just something strange and kind of LA about her frozen cheeks and forehead.

I have to say, Ashley P is struggling so much, 

I don't really understand how she rallies in a few weeks to make the team.

She was so awkward dancing in this episode, and just seems like such an uneven performer.  And as Judy pointed out, she seems scared all the freaking time.  It kind of pains me to watch her.

Oh, Vivian.  A breakup that's more than 5 weeks old is a poor excuse for shitty rehearsals and being off her game.  I think she's off her game because she's wrapped up in her Vivian-rise-to-stardom fantasy that she's not putting her all into practicing the choreography or being a team player.  She's all about Vivian.  I have to say, when she started talking about her breakup and said they'd been together for a long time, my immediate and persistent thought was that they broke up because he didn't like the diva changes in her over this last year that she has accumulated and "really connected with" her "fans," and I figured he was over her DCC/AA/DMD obsessions.  She repeatedly has said she built her whole world around making this team--doesn't leave much time or energy for an old boyfriend.  So, I was not exactly sympathetic to this story or situation.  I think they are showing all this Vivian stuff for the ratings, but also 

to justify cutting her from the team. They are trying to make it clear this year that there are real dance/performance problems, since the focus last year and among her "fans" was her weight. So glad they cut her!! I really don't think she is DCC caliber young lady OR performer.

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 2

I, too, liked the country funk dance they learned, and it was fun to see them all busting their asses so hard in rehearsal. Am I wrong in thinking this choreographer has had more than a few injections in her face or some other kind of work done? There was just something strange and kind of LA about her frozen cheeks and forehead.

There's definitely something going on with Stephanie's face. She looks like she's had a lot of work done. Someone posted some photos from the AA Ice Angels auditions in another thread and from a distance I thought she was Fergie. I was so confused why Fergie would be at the auditions until someone told me who she was, lol. Scary face aside though, I thought her teaching style was great and she had a lot of energy. I liked that she taught the girls the dance by demonstrating it herself. She seems to really know what she's doing.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 4

I like Loren's personality , i like that she has a little bit of an edge to her i think most of the girls on the team come off naive and have no personality ! I Like that she's different ! i laughed so hard at her reaction to the make over , she seemed really angry and looked she was about to bitch slap the hair stylist

When she said she'd "always been blonde", I immediately thought, those brown eyebrows say otherwise, honey. Also, saying you've "always been blonde" kind of connotes that it's natural, and that brassy mess on her head was not natural.

Non-natural blondes can be blonde, but they need to go to a stylist who knows what they are doing, and it shouldn't be one flat color to be believable. True blonde is dimensional and has more than one shade. Look at blonde kids' hair to see what I mean.

I was blonde as a kid, and color my hair now, and I always had fairly dark eyebrows, so it's possible she's a "natural blonde" in the sense that she grew up with that color.  I don't understand why they made her a flat, one shade brunette.  There are ways of doing blonde without it being yellow; I think they should have gone with heavy lowlights.  As far as natural hair being more than one shade, you are absolutely right, so it really annoyed me when they said Christina had too many colors going on.  I thought she looked better before the makeover.  Since she was cut, I hope she changed her hair back.

I was blonde as a kid, and color my hair now, and I always had fairly dark eyebrows, so it's possible she's a "natural blonde" in the sense that she grew up with that color.

I agree, and I don't think Loren was implying that she doesn't color her hair. I think she probably just meant that she has been highlighting and dying since she was a teenager and has never been full on brunette.

I'm not a Vivian fan, but I don't think they are really focusing on her all THAT much.  I feel like the most focus has been on Ashley. I think she is getting extra time to improve because they really like her look.  She seems nice though. 

• Love 1

Loren's hair definitely didn't look like "natural" blonde to me because, as others have said, real blondes (or any color really) have different shades in their hair.  I thought she looked pretty enough as a blonde but her eyes looked gorgeous with the darker hair color!  I hope she has friends who told her so (I know if I was her friend, I would have raved about how pretty her eyes looked with the darker hair!).  I know the editing cuts things and, upon one of my many rewatches, I noticed there definitely seemed to be a cut between the stylist saying "the brown bob" and the dead eyed look of anger she was shown to have.  I wonder what her real reaction was to that comment now.  It was obvious she did NOT want to go brunette, but I hope she acted a little more pleasant than the show indicated while she was in that salon. 

I have rewatched the presentation by hair color of the new dance multiple times now and I have to say, I thought Breelan did really well with it.  I do wish they would show more dancing instead of commercials for Belk and Fit Foods.  I would have liked to see ALL the girls do the bulk of the routine. 

• Love 1

There must be extra pressure for Veronica to lose weight. Kelli not only called her out for it and put her on "weight probation", but if she doesn't lose the weight, that would be very bad news for Fit Foods, which obviously has some sort of sponsorship/product placement deal with the DCC. I assume that they probably want to feature that Veronica lost the weight using the program and that the program works.

Agree with those who have said Loren is a little odd looking in the face. She has a large Jay Leno chin and her eyebrows are strange. I totally see the Jack Nicholson as the joker comparison. I also sensed a lot of saltiness in her attitude over her makeover. I'm just not sold on her in general.

• Love 1

I found this episode very odd.

So we lost artistic director Johnny at their salon of choice, and now we have a new group who's "makeover" choices weren't really makeovers.  Except for Lorena and Alexandra, I saw no difference in the girls.  Erica?  No change.  And her hair was such and issue to all.  It was just as flat after as before.  Breelan needed her hair conditioned and her hair parted on the side, which they did.  AND HER MAKE-UP SOFTENED.  We saw that at the salon.  The next day?  Back to the same look.

I love when the girls tell the camera what was done.  We saw none of the that (except for Alexandra and Loren).  Quick shots here and there.  I was so disappointed.   Sigh.   

Also, Kelli giving us recaps at the end of every episode.  Why? So she gets more air time?  Not understanding why she thinks we need to see that.

I am not a fan of Christina.  I agree with whoever posted that she was using the injury to get out of what she didn't want to do and then back peddled in the office when Kelli and Judy told her good bye. What was she thinking? was all that was going through my mind when watching.

I like the way Loren holds herself with Kelli and Judy.  She's mature and doesn't seem afraid when she is in the office.  The first meeting they had with her, she seemed confident, which is refreshing.  I like that Kelli wanted to change her hair color, I just don't like the color.  She also needs her make up changed.  But she won my respect when she showed she is not terrified of them.

• Love 2

Speaking of "Getting the Look", let us take a moment to dissect that look. I remember watching an episode of the Love Boat with my grandmother circa 1979, which featured the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. Ladies, the Pacific Princess has docked now, and it is time to walk out into 2014.

The current look is all girl on the bottom (in fact, perhaps too much so, as those short shorts seem to ride up sometimes), and all grandma on the top (okay, except for the bosom), but really those blousons look like something out of a 1900s suffragette handbook -- and there is nothing girlish about that.

I would really like to hear y'all's ideas for little tweaks to bring the DCC uniform into the new Century. Here are mine.

I think that the girls should have a "summer uniform" for those hot Texas days. The summer uniform would have a short-sleeved shirt in a cornflower-blue color -- like a springtime Texas sky (and with matching stars on their belts of course). The shirts would have the same lapel and chest-tie as the current blouse, but I would like to see them in a starchier material. Also they would have little ties (like the one at the chest) at the end of each short sleeve, and the shoulder joint would be less puffy. Alternatively, the shorts and vest could be cornflower blue in this above-described summer uniform, with the short-sleeved shirt in white to change things up a bit.

Finally, could Kelli's daughter or someone at the DCC organization please make a sweet, light-hearted, funny, (feminist with a small F) video lovingly poking fun at Kelli and Judy's obsession with weight. It could be like all those "Call Me, Maybe" videos of a few years past, but with the girls singing "It's All About The Bass" while eating burgers and drinking shakes, maybe with a dismissed Megan or Hannah, and a current Veronica and Danielle featured.

• Love 1

Finally, could Kelli's daughter or someone at the DCC organization please make a sweet, light-hearted, funny, (feminist with a small F) video lovingly poking fun at Kelli and Judy's obsession with weight. It could be like all those "Call Me, Maybe" videos of a few years past, but with the girls singing "It's All About The Bass" while eating burgers and drinking shakes, maybe with a dismissed Megan or Hannah, and a current Veronica and Danielle featured.

http://seenive.com/v/958647375419846656

I had to laugh at that one last year

• Love 1

If they didn't have the long sleeves, the uniform would look a lot like the Colts uniforms:  

card-weekend/images/colts-cheerleader-opy4-32434.jpgcolts-cheerleader-opy4-32434.jpg

I actually really like the Colts uniform when they have the pants:

MeganGame.jpg

• Love 1

The DCC has the best uniform in the nfl , it looks the most well made and not trashy like most of the teams ! its iconic !!

I do like the pats uniform but they basically stole a lot of dcc uniform !

I wholeheartedly agree that the current DCC uniform is well-tailored, and made of and with quality materials.

I would just like to see some more "options" added to the uniform, namely a "summer look" with a short-sleeved shirt (mid upper arm) with little ties at the end of the sleeves, made in a crisper cotton material, with less poufy shoulders, and in a light, cornflower blue color.

Or alternatively, make the "summer look" the reverse of the classic uniform, so that the shorts and vest are cornflower blue, and the short-sleeved shirt and stars are a crisp white.

And for good measure, throw a "chaps pants" bottom option in for the "summer uniform", I think that it would look adorable with the short-sleeved look.

Basically, I want the DCC to have mix-and-match uniform options, you see, like paper dolls. It would vary there look sometimes, which I think would be a good thing.

I meant "their" look.

I doubt the uniform will ever stray from the design it is now aside from slight tweaks to the shorts to make them shorter etc. as has been seen in the past. It's just too iconic, and there's value in that, so they'll never change it.

• Love 1