Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Getting the DCC Look

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

I have very strong opinions about the DCC uniform. Their uniform is one of my least favorite in the NFL. The teams who change things up obviously don't have a full time seamstress/tailor but at least the uniforms aren't stuck in the early 70s and when they have different looks it's fun and fresh while still being recognizable as part of their football team.

It's not that it's an ugly or bad uniform, but it's old and...stale. Sort of like using the same music and choreography every season.

And apparently it can only be worn by whatever nearly impossible body type Kelli is the most enthused about each year. If they would overhaul the uniform, I guarantee they'd be able to take some more of the girls who are great dancers but aren't shaped like lollipops.

• Love 1

According to what Kelly and Judy have been saying the past two or three years, most anyone who wore the uniform before 2011 wouldn't even make it onto the squad.  They would have been too heavy.  That includes both of them AND Kitty (though how Kitty had made it onto the squad in the first place is beyond me).  I wouldn't be surprised if, in their own minds, they would be the exceptions and not the rule (even though, given the pictures from around then, they would have either been cut or not allowed into Training Camp at all).

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 1

Not sure I agree with that completely. Kelli and Judy were both pretty teeny, especially Judy. Kelli had a bit more thigh, but she also had the cleavage and tiny waist. Kitty is another story, but the standards of beauty and fitness were definitely different then.

That's true. I can't imagine Kitty on the squad, but not for body type reasons, for personality reasons. I just can't see her as a DCC with the attitude she now has. I have no idea what she was like when she was younger, but judging by her behavior now, I would think she was a toxic member.

My problem with their weight obsession is just that it seems to vary. They find some girls okay, others too heavy, some too skinny, when all the girls really look great. Body types differ and not giving someone a chance because they are too short or whatever, I don't like that.

Also I still think their training outfits are really unflattering. In those really tight bottoms almost every girl looks like she has a little extra fat, just because of the way the shorts fit. I suppose Kelli and Judy take that as a way of being able to see every night how someone looks, but isn't that what the scale is for? Personally I feel like the real uniform shorts are more forgiving than the practice ones

• Love 1

According to what Kelly and Judy have been saying the past two or three years, most anyone who wore the uniform before 2011 wouldn't even make it onto the squad.

When did they say this?  I totally believe it, by the way! 

When did they say this?  I totally believe it, by the way! 

I think she just means how they've constantly been focusing on weight and calling girls "fat" and only taking really skinny ones.  If they had been so focused on the weight a couple of years ago, a lot of former DCC wouldn't have made the squad.

• Love 1

I think she just means how they've constantly been focusing on weight and calling girls "fat" and only taking really skinny ones.  If they had been so focused on the weight a couple of years ago, a lot of former DCC wouldn't have made the squad.

I've wondered how much difference the new stadium has made in this. The real obsession started a couple seasons after they got that. I wonder if they got "feedback" about how the girls look on the enormous screen.  Every little detail of their bodies really wasn't as obvious before that, and the guys who run that organization are just gross enough to notice and comment.

• Love 2

I've seen an old video from the 1990s where Judy is talking to a group of cheerleaders and telling them they all needed to loose weight and tone up their tummies.  I'm pretty sure weight has always been an obsession with the DCC, but of course, in the era of photoshop, HD, and almost 10 years into MTT, the focus is more keen and also more public.  

As for dramatically changing up the DCC uniform, Kelli will never even consider it, I'm sure.  I find those Colts chaps pretty unflattering, and don't agree that pants would be a better summer alternative than iconic white shorts.  I agree the blouse is very dated, but try separating a Southerner from their "traditions," especially if that tradition is a uniform that is recognized worldwide and rakes in more money than any other NFL cheerleading organization.  

I've been rewatching season 6, and got to the episode where they go grocery shopping with Jay, and I love how Jay is telling them to avoid processed food and go for very simple ingredients, but here now in season 9 they're being told to eat all that very processed and salty MyFitFoods. 

• Love 1

I'm most definitely not endorsing MyFitFoods here, but they don't prepare heavily processed foods, and most meals are not that high in sodium.  They prepare fresh, mostly whole foods that you either pre-order or just grab from the store.  That said, I have no idea how it all tastes.

Edited by M1977G

I’m a big fan of wearing support tights lol... People usually say they are for really old women, but they make your legs look great, everything stays in place, nothing jiggles and they don’t rip as easily as others. You can also get them in a non shiny fabric, so it doesn’t even look like you’re wearing any.

Or you could get dance tights, which I think are a little more expensive, but most of them don’t have that "seam" between the bottom and the legs. Depending on how short your shorts are that might look weird...

Personally, I hate the shiny fabrics of the blouse you get with costumes you buy, so I’d probably try to find a less shiny one or make it myself...

For the boots, I’d probably try to find some cheap ones on ebay or something since they are pretty expensive to buy new

I'd say get a professional blow out or practice with a large round brush. A decent ceramic one doesn't have to be expensive to work really well. What size is best for your hair depends on length and texture, so it's worth asking a good hairdresser what to buy. If you do it yourself, don't use too much product. That's a common mistake, and it takes very little when you blow your hair out properly. Keep going for around ten minutes after your hair is dry so it will hold up all day. Focus on the roots, not the ends. That's what gets you the big Texas hair without it being unable to move.

Makeup wise, they do some serious eyeliner to make their eyes look big from a distance. If you're not good with eyeliner, I recommend getting a slanted eyeliner brush and powder eyeliner. It's a lot easier to apply that way if you're not an expert, and it looks just as good as any other option. If this is not your normal thing and you need a recommendation, try Everyday Minerals. They have very inexpensive and generous sample sizes. Also, The Body Shop has great brushes. I use nothing else of theirs, but when they have sales on full sets of them it's fantastic. They don't seem to have any now, but watch out for their after holiday sell offs of their gift sets of brushes for big deals.

DCCs usually go a bit more orange than they normally would on makeup colors for contrast with the uniform. If you look good in orange shades, embrace that. If not, aim at blush pinks and neutrals. Pick a lip color that's darker than your natural lip shade, but don't venture far afield. You're looking for a bolder you, but still very you. For all they fuss about the few girls they give crazy makeovers, most just get dialed up a bit and taught how to apply makeup properly.

Also, consider getting your eyebrows waxed by a pro a few days before so you're not all red and puffy night of. Eyebrow waxing is not expensive and is well worth it if you're going for a DCC sort of look.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

Can a dancer explain what the proper kick technique is?  I was on my high school drill team for two years but it wasn't a big deal in the sense that drill team in, say Texas, would be.  All I ever learned about kicking is to kick as high as you can.  Oh, and after I broke my nose with a nose to knee collision, I figured out to kick a little to the side!

The standing leg should be straight with the heel on the ground. Christina's problem was that she was bending her knee and going on releve (on her toes). This can make the kicking leg go higher but looks terrible. Others with bad technique bend their kicking leg on the way up when it should be straight all the way from the floor.

• Love 1
On 9/6/2014 at 0:00 AM, Teddybear said:

When Chandler smiles big, she looks like a 90-year old woman.  

I can't believe Brittany is one that needs to lose weight.  

I hope they cut Vivian soon.  

I have recently watched a few episodes of this season.  I can't believe Chandler got as far as she did. She really did look like a 90 year old.  Her face is EXTREMELY unattractive!

• Love 1