Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion Police - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm really enjoying the revamped show. It seems to be moving along so much faster and while Kathy gets her digs in, she doesn't monopolize. Nice work, Melissa/producers!

Kelly and Giuliana are still keeping up their act as horrified onlookers about Kathy's jokes, which I find kind of nostalgically sweet.

It was funny how no one wanted to say anything bad about Laverne Cox, so thanks to G for going there. Dress and hair were both awful.

Edited by lordonia

Having watched this week's episode on the SAG awards, and the Golden Globes episode a few weeks ago, I am suspecting that Brad comes up with the "zinger"/catchphrase first, and then formulates the "opinion" to back it up. He just comes off as try-hard and doesn't offer a lot of insight.

I've never particularly been a Kathy Griffin fan but IMO she really hit her stride on tonight's episode of FP.  I laughed out loud 4 or 5 times.  Her comment about Jennifer Aniston's necklace looking like the scar from a triple bypass had me rolling!  That was Joan worthy!  She seemed much more relaxed tonight.  

I agree.   Her witty comments don't interrupt the flow of the show and she does not have a barb for every dress.  Not a fan of hers either but she is doing well.  Love Joan but much prefer this line up.  All of them have a keen wit and the banter is bright and quite funny. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

It's ok- frankly I think Kathy's being way too nice on the dresses, but of course she's not really a fashion person anyway. I miss the way Joan would just flat out hate something that looks horrendous to the average person, no matter who was in it, while Kelly and Giuliana always fawn and try to find nice things to say about pieces of it.

For example, I don't see what was so fantastic about Emma Stone's outfit- it looked scraggly and I bet Joan would have made some kind of crack about it even though she likes Emma Stone. This panel? Nothing because Emma is too hot right now to dump on.

Talk about fawning -- naming Joan Collins best dressed?! My eyes rolled into the next county.

I totally agree.  Does Joan Collins look great for 80 something?  You bet.  Was she the best dressed on the SAG red carpet?  Absolutely not!  I'd go as far as to say that her gown was awful.

• Love 1

I totally agree.  Does Joan Collins look great for 80 something?  You bet.  Was she the best dressed on the SAG red carpet?  Absolutely not!  I'd go as far as to say that her gown was awful.

Terrible!   A lot of make up, a wig, support hose and a big ass dress does wonders for an 81 year old, though.  

I've never particularly been a Kathy Griffin fan but IMO she really hit her stride on tonight's episode of FP.  I laughed out loud 4 or 5 times.  Her comment about Jennifer Aniston's necklace looking like the scar from a triple bypass had me rolling!  That was Joan worthy!  She seemed much more relaxed tonight.  

Totally agree with every word.  I was very happy to see Kathy be herself and not that weird, medicated version of herself that appeared on the Golden Globes show.  I also felt that Giuliana has relaxed a great deal, especially with her, um, "more colorful metaphors."  Altogether a great improvement over their first try. 

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 1

Talk about fawning-- Naming Joan Collins best dressed? My eyes rolled into the next county.

Mine too. She looked great, but she wasn't the best, by a long shot. My picks for Best Dressed: Emmy Rossum, Reese Witherspoon, Julianne Moore and Viola Davis.

But nothing was as far-fetched to me as Kathy's naming Eddie Redmayne  "Worst Dressed." It wasn't my favorite look of his, but he still was way better than Lorelai Linklater, who looked like an Amish goth vampire.

• Love 1

But nothing was as far-fetched to me as Kathy's naming Eddie Redmayne  "Worst Dressed." It wasn't my favorite look of his, but he still was way better than Lorelai Linklater, who looked like an Amish goth vampire.

Yeah, they need to change up that segment. It used to be Joan's final decision, but she at least had a bit of fashion cred. Kathy is just picking for the joke factor.

• Love 3

RE:  Worst Dressed.  

Yes, Lorelei Linklater was a mess but she's young and new to the red carpet experience so I'll give her a pass.  She needs to step it up for the Oscars though.  My pick for Worst Dressed is Amanda Peet, another celeb who was actually interviewed during the E! red carpet show and yet not at all mentioned on FP.  They've got E! footage that they're not even using.  I just don't get that.  Anyway, her "girls" were drooping, the dress was 1980's prom night and her hair was a mess.  

KG's pick of Eddie Redmayne as Worst Dressed was also completely out of left field as they had not discussed his attire at all prior to KG naming him WD.  Melissa and Co. need to tighten things up.

I am still bothered by Kelly being "obsessed" with everyone and everything, and also for saying that everything is "beautiful," but I think that the new Fashion Police is starting to hit its stride. 

The Golden Globes wrap-up show was a bit awkward at times, and the chemistry didn't seem to be there.   However, Brad is now coming out of his shell and being sassier.  Giuliana has suddenly gotten very funny (I loved her "Pick a hemisphere and commit to it" line about Kris Jenner's outfit on the Superbowl Fashion Police recap show last night).  Kathy is still holding back a bit from what she would probably like to say, but she is getting a little bolder with each episode (now that they've done 4 of them).

I think that the Grammys show (on Monday) and the Oscars wrap up should be good.

I still miss Joan and her wit -- after seeing her involved in these fashion recap shows for so many years (on E! and on TVGN), it is strange to not see her this year.  I look at some of the hair and outfits and think, "Joan would have hated that" (Julianne Moore's hair), or "Joan would have thought she looked great" (Kate Hudson's red dress with the cutouts in it).   But Joan is never coming back, and it's nice to have a better flow to the show, without the forced, pre-prepared jokes shoehorned in every few seconds.  The current show has a better pace to it.  I think that as long as the panel is allowed to be a little bit naughty and edgy, it will work. 

I miss the "Guess Me From Behind" segment, as well as "Starlet or Streetwalker."  I hope they bring those back at some point -- but they don't really fit into the award show recap shows.  They'd fit more in a regular show that isn't centered around any one special event.

Supposedly there are a total of 17 Fashion Police shows on tap for this year.  They've already done 4 of them.  They've still got the Grammys to cover, the Oscars and the Emmys in late summer.  I'll be interested to see what the other 10 shows involve, and if, by the end of the year, we will be left with an overall feeling of having had just enough Fashion Police, too much Fashion Police, or not enough Fashion Police.

• Love 1

I miss the "Guess Me From Behind" segment, as well as "Starlet or Streetwalker."

Love those! I swear, I could watch an hour of just the games. I enjoy the segments for Bitch Stole My Look (because it is interesting how different the same clothes really can look) and Rack Report (for G's motorboating and other titty-related obsessions.)

I noticed they're no longer giving the panelists 10 seconds to sum up their worst dressed nominations. I don't exactly miss it, but there were occasionally a couple of zingers to be had.

While I usually don't spend much time thinking about how people look, I couldn't help but judge that Kathy's hair extensions looked like hay and Kelly's latest obsession would appear to be doughnuts.

See what this show makes me do?

While I usually don't spend much time thinking about how people look, I couldn't help but judge that Kathy's hair extensions looked like hay and Kelly's latest obsession would appear to be doughnuts.

See what this show makes me do?

Ha! Kathy's hair has made tremendous strides since her reality show years, but I was obsessed with that ratty end of a dreamcatcher hanging over her shoulder.

I've always believed that Kelly either photographs very, very poorly or that she outright lied about being a size 2 after her weight loss. I'm sure she's tiny in real life, but her arms always look plump on TV and the tight sweater on this episode was doing her midsection no favors.

And all of them use stylists!

• Love 2

I agree sitting next to Praying Mantis Rancic cannot help, particularly since Kelly's closer to the camera.  It reminds me of the camera tricks they used to make Gandalf look taller in all the Hobbit movies.

Either Kelly has gained weight or she needs to fire her stylist. That buzz-cut Mohawk hairstyle doesn't help either. I actually think she's a very attractive young woman, but .sometimes her phases of reinvention don't hit the mark.

Guilana looks really bad. That heavy dark contouring on her face makes her look extra gaunt.

Joan Collins did not look thrilled to be there. Her body language and lack of eye contact signaled that she was annoyed with Kathy. Kathy doesn't have the best interviewing skills, but hopefully she'll get better over time.

Either Kelly has gained weight or she needs to fire her stylist. 

She's gained weight.  I seem to recall it being mentioned last year, and I guess she still hasn't been successful in taking it back off.

• Love 1

I tried to watch the Grammy red carpet. Guiliana said "gorge" ever two seconds--guess she's moved on from "obsessed with" to "gorge." And she looks awful. Kelly looked like she'd rolled out of bed, put her purple hair in a ponytail and threw on a housedress.

These people are hideous on every level.

I like Kelly. Guiliana is a bit annoying but not as bad as Brad. Brad should never mention someone trying way too hard, the way he dresses.  How can he call himself a stylist and  dress so stupid?

Kathy is really making these episodes worth watching.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 1

If Giuliana had any credibility with me, she ruined it when she named Kim Kardashian  her "Best Dressed" on the Fashion Police Grammy Special. Kim's dress looked like Liberace's bathrobe, only tackier.

Giuliana doesn't have any credibility since apparently (almost) everyone paid by E! has to kiss Kardashian ass.  I was actually amazed that not only did Kathy rip Kim's outfit, but so did Kelly!  Could it be that the Kardashian stranglehold on the entertainment biz is finally starting to weaken?  Do I dare hope that their deal with the devil is finally come due?

Kathy seems to be improving, but her wide fake smile every time she throws the camera over the Giuliana or Kelly is jarring.  

• Love 2

If Giuliana had any credibility with me, she ruined it when she named Kim Kardashian  her "Best Dressed" on the Fashion Police Grammy Special. Kim's dress looked like Liberace's bathrobe, only tackier.

ITA.  Kim Kartrashian's outfit was almost as comical as Carol Burnett's Gone with the Wind dress.  However Carol's was meant to be a farce. 

Is Guiliana secretly on the Kartrashian payroll??

• Love 1

ITA.  Kim Kartrashian's outfit was almost as comical as Carol Burnett's Gone with the Wind dress.  However Carol's was meant to be a farce. 

Is Guiliana secretly on the Kartrashian payroll??

THANK YOU! What a suck-up Goulliana is! Kim looked like she had thrown on somebody's too-big bath robe on.

Edited by xls

I disliked Guiliana from her reality show (Guiliana and Bill) and liked Kelly Osbourne from her reality show and DWTS--- but watching Fashion Police I have done a 180! I cannot STAND Kelly anymore! She doesn't know anything about fashion and the way she pronounces "Be-You-Tee-Ful" about every single look just is annoying. She wears the tackiest clothing and comes off like this big fashion expert. It's funny. The other night she had on a horizontal striped purple tee shirt from the 80's with a huge print flouncy skirt- it was horrid- talking about how bad the movies stars look.  She never shuts up with her opinions. I know they are supposed to state their opinion but shut up Kelly!

Guiliana, on the other hand, is actually kind of funny. I like her self-deprecating humor. Sometimes she is off-color and she is just funny. I know people write some of her jokes but it seems natural.

I wish Kelly would get fired. She adds nothing and she is really annoying. I have warmed up to Brad, although I miss George. He is funny too. Kelly has to go. Thanks for listening. You've all been Bee-YOU-Tee-Ful.

• Love 1

Why is George gone, by the way? Did he get fired? Because he was the only person besides Joan that I could semi stand to hear his opinions. I'm sorry, but I will NEVER get over the fact that Kelly Osbourne looks like such a ridiculous fool each and every time she shows up on TV, and she gets to judge other people's fashion? The cognitive dissonance is unbelievable.

Maybe that's why she says that everyone is beautiful all the time, but it doesn't make up for it. The most insane looking person on a show called Fashion Police, who knows nothing about fashion, is sitting there judging other people's looks.

• Love 1

Kathy was a lot livelier tonight for whatever reason -- the process of settling in, perhaps. She was still manageable and it didn't come off as her monopolizing or talking over people like I was initially expecting. Her hair was odd tonight, though.

It was sweet of them to be indignant on Joan's behalf. My favorite parts were Kelly and G mocking Brad's pronunciation and them all admitting they were afraid to say anything snarky about Oprah.

I kind of wish the Oscar show would be 90 minutes. So many dresses.

• Love 2

I think somebody needs to ridicule Oprah and her massive air of fake royalty she carries around with her. The woman has no sense of humor, and all humorless people ought to be mocked for it. Joan wouldn't have been afraid.

• Love 2

I kind of wish the Oscar show would be 90 minutes. So many dresses.

I totally agree with you on this point.  I feel like there were way too many dresses that weren't shown/mentioned.  Just off the top of my head:  Viola Davis looked wonderful I would like to have heard comments on her gown.  Jessica Chastain, whom I usually love on the carpet, had a gown with a horrible neckline IMO.  Naomi Watts, who is usually stunning, just missed.  Other nominees who were not featured:  Felicity Jones, Reese Witherspoon, Keira Knightly, Laura Dern.  How about Anna Kendrick, Anna Faris, Sienna Miller?  It just seems to me that FP used to feature more of the looks on the carpet.  :(

I'm the one upthread who said that I missed George and while that is still true, I do think that Brad was very good on tonight's FP.  He was very informative on the fashion but also funny.  The whole panel had me laughing out loud several times tonight; always a good thing!  Also, I loved Kathy's dress.

• Love 2

Are you kidding, they left out all those people? Man, I guess there's not much point in me even watching it tonight. I feel like for an Oscar special you should really make a point to single out the actual nominees, don't you think?

• Love 2

I loved Kathy's comments about the black pom pom dress, which she referred to as poodle balls. On the Oscar thread, several were upset at NPH's comment regarding the dress. I missed the actual speech by the woman who was wearing the dress, so did not know that her son had died. However since Kathy's comments were not said at the actual ceremony but instead on FP I thought they were pretty funny, especially that the woman should have gotten Best In Show (with reference to the recent Westminster dog show). Come to think of it, I would love to see Kathy host the Oscars.

• Love 1

Zendaya  needs to chill. I thought G was actually kind of funny. I mean you need to expect to get joked on if you wear huge fake ass dreadlocks to the freaking oscars. What was she doing there anyway??

I think Kathy is killing it, she was hilarious tonight and naming Seacrest the worst dressed was just the cherry on top.

I too wish the Oscar show was longer. I wanted to hear their thoughts on Patricia Arquette, Reese Witherspoon( who I loved) and Margot Robbie.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 1

The panel finally hit its stride last night.  The show was LOL from beginning to end and the time flew by.  There were so many funny moments -- Kathy's Gwyneth Paltrow/Georgia O'Keefe gag, Giuliana and Kelly ripping on Brad for his very French pronunciation of 'Vuitton' and him being clueless in response, all the snark about John Travolta and on and on and on.  I thought they finally settled in with each other and just let it fly.

I do agree that the show was too short.  They could have easily added another 30 minutes and the show wouldn't have felt too long at all. 

Edited by Jan Spears

I never thought I would like Brad since his Zoe and failed solo shows, but he's my favorite! I agree with him the most and he's definitely the most knowledgable. He's come a long way. Kelly is as useless and style-challenged as ever.

• Love 1

Kelly's overuse of "obsessed" is tiresome. But otherwise this show is 100% more watchable for me than it was with Joan. The chemistry is better. Brad comes across as more knowledgeable and stands up for himself better than George did. Giuliana has been funnier and somehow realer. Kathy makes me laugh more than Joan has in recent years—no disrespect to Joan, who was a legend. Kathy brings out the best in the rest of the group. The laughs seemed forced with Joan—now they all genuinely seem surprised by what Kathy will say.

Also last not, for the Oscars recap, I thought Kathy looked as good as I've seen her recently. I liked her shorter, wavy hair.

• Love 4

60 minutes was way too short.  There were a number of dresses that were missed altogether.  Even though I don't think there's as much filler in terms of joke set-ups then there used to be, they still needed more time.

I'm down right worried about Giulliana.  She seems to be heading towards Karen Carpenter country.  She looked absolutely emaciated on the red carpet.

I can't believe they didn't rip Julianne Moore's dress.  It made her look thick in the middle.  It didn't get praise, but I thought it deserved a lot more criticism. 

At least they acknowledged they were too afraid to criticize Oprah.  Now they just have to admit E! is in thrall to the Kardashians and they're not allowed to say anything negative about them.

Me-yow!  Disney star Zendaya slams Giuliana Rancic for her inference that Zendaya looked/smelled like a druggie because she wore dreadlocks. (Rancic: "I feel that she smells like patchouli oil... or weed,")

Zendaya Slams 'Fashion Police' Host’s 'Ignorant Slurs' About Her Oscars Hairstyle

I don't know if it would have occurred to me at the time to be offended by Rancic's comments, but her inference that it's a fairly racist comment?  Yeah, I get why Zendaya is upset.  It probably is.

Good one, Skeletor! (oops... maybe I'm no better than Rancic with low-blows... oh well...)

• Love 2
Zendaya  needs to chill.

Everyone needs to! Any celeb who gets up in arms about being mocked on FP only proves to the world that they have zero equanimity or sense of humor. I understand their feelings may be hurt -- which, normal -- but keep it to yourself. Angry responses/denunciations only make them look bad.

Well, that actually applies to all public celebrity "feuds," but FP is an even flimsier pile of twigs to try to stoke a fire with.

• Love 1

I'm down right worried about Giulliana.  She seems to be heading towards Karen Carpenter country.  She looked absolutely emaciated on the red carpet.

I used to snark on this but seeing her last photos, her gums are red and SWOLLEN. They've been pointed out to be that way before, too, but this was the entire exposed area. It's troubling.

Everyone needs to! Any celeb who gets up in arms about being mocked on FP only proves to the world that they have zero equanimity or sense of humor. I understand their feelings may be hurt -- which, normal -- but keep it to yourself. Angry responses/denunciations only make them look bad.

Well, that actually applies to all public celebrity "feuds," but FP is an even flimsier pile of twigs to try to stoke a fire with.

Yeah, but I kind of see Zendeya's point.  It wasn't just a personal shot about her taste--which EVERYONE should expect from Fashion Police. Whether or not Giulliana intended it to be, it came off as kinda... racial (if not racist).  I mean yes, like most stereotypes there's a ton of truth behind the idea that people that wear dreads tend to enjoy the ganja.  But for a girl who, quite frankly, has a squeaky clean image (and quite rarely for teen stars these days actually seems to WANT one)?  I can see why it seemed like a cheap shot, and a racial one to boot.

• Love 6

Good Oscar roundup but I agree that it felt like they only hit about a tenth of the actors present. I'm glad they didn't include a guest. We'd have seen even less stars.

As soon as I heard Rancic's dreads comment I thought "Here go hell come!"

I for one am loving, LOVING the dynamics of the group. They have real chemistry and now seem comfortable enough to call each other out on their shit. Kinda funny of them all to get at Brad for his Vuitton pronunciation, especially since he is technically correct.  However, I found it so obnoxious when he commented about having a meal with Dior reps and than unabashedly praised Marion Cotillard's Dior. Not that he couldn't love it independent of his apparent friendliness with the brand, but it seemed suspect on the heels of his "I sup with Dior reps"  pronouncement, but I like Brad. He seems to genuinely know and love fashion.

Kathy was quite funny.

• Love 1