Type keyword(s) to search

Fashion Police - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Okay, the one thing they can't afford to do is simply run the show with the three existing co-hosts.  None of them are even remotely up to fronting the show.  You need a moderator who does what Joan basically did--works around the sides of the fashion issues with insult comedy, or at the very least observational comedy that's biting.

I think the short-list of possible replacements is damn short.  There are dozens of people who would be BAD ideas to front the show, but only a few good ones:

1.) Kathy Griffin

2.) Sarah Silverman

3.) Mario Cantone (not an insult comedian, but I think he'd work anyway)

That's all I've got at this point.  I thought I had 2 or 3 more, but mentally just eliminated them.  For example I had Margaret Cho on there, until I thought about how bad her fashion sense seems to be.  Then there's someone like Roseanne, who might have the comedy gravitas and wit to do this, but... face it, even the slimmed down current Roseanne doesn't just have bad taste, like Cho, but is in fact a total fashion disaster.

Edited by Kromm

Joan was a leader, a fighter, and an icon for female comedians. I'm not trying to bash her or minimize anyone else's sadness, but if the show continues without her, I'll go back to watching. I always FF'd past her jokes and the forced laughter and faux shock of the other hosts. So tiresome.

I didn't mind Joan being "mean" and she always made fun of herself, but god help anyone else who publicly knocked her. She was very thin-skinned and a classic case of dishing it out but not being able to take it.

• Love 3

I always FF'd past her jokes and the forced laughter and faux shock of the other hosts. So tiresome.

ITA - not to mention the costars even more painful reaction shots. Thus, my own first reaction to the news was, "Oh, Thank God, now maybe Fashion Police will be watchable. I can't wait until the proper waiting period to express this".

The last few days though, of hearing interviews of her, and the remembrances of others, have really renewed a deserved sense of affection and respect for her. 

One thing I found personally shocking about her death is that I myself have had THREE such (otolarynghoozie) exams this winter -  and was given nothing but a seemingly benign numbing nasal spray.

I've watched Joan Rivers as she guest hosted the Tonight Show, watched her on her own late night talk show, then her daytime talk show, QVC and on the various versions of the Red Carpet and Fashion Police shows.  Sometimes I didn't appreciate her humor, but more often I did.  Her self-deprecating jokes were hilarious and it should not have surprised me that she was friends with Royalty (she was invited to Prince Charles' second wedding).  She worked hard and was generous (supported the We Deliver with Love program).  Most of all, I believe she wanted to make people laugh and I appreciate Melissa's words about returning to laughter.  

Joan and George were my favorites on the Fashion Police panel; I will watch when the show returns, but I think the heart as well as the bite will never return.

• Love 1

I think the show should go into hiatus until the awards season starts up again with the Golden Globes.  I really don't know who could replace her.  They tried having Fashion Police before when Joan was fired but that was only as a post awards fashion recap.  They've only been able to successfully have a weekly show with Joan at the helm.  The rest of the current panel are replaceable.

I think the show should go into hiatus until the awards season starts up again with the Golden Globes.  I really don't know who could replace her.  They tried having Fashion Police before when Joan was fired but that was only as a post awards fashion recap.  They've only been able to successfully have a weekly show with Joan at the helm.  The rest of the current panel are replaceable.

I love Kelly, Guilianna and George!  I cannot imagine the show without them.  

I think they can do it.  The subject matter is a draw.  I think they can pull off a new version, with a hiatus to regroup. 

They need a new set design, of course.  I have always enjoyed Melissa on the panel.  She has a keen wit which was overshadowed by her mother.  

I don't like the idea of replacing Joan with another comic.  It will be the Debra Norville/Jane Pauly story all over again. 

I can see them adding Melissa and going from there. 

I adore Joan but I did not care for her on this show.  Making a joke for EVERY single entry became tiresome, for me. 

• Love 1

Maybe they reduce to 30 min and just talk about the damned clothes for a change. I like hearing differing opinions among the panelists, and their standard games are all right (guess me from behind, starlet or streetwalker, etc.). But the guests can go.

They need a new set design, of course.

Jonathan Adler can bite me with that crap. So busy and chaotic.

Making a joke for EVERY single entry became tiresome, for me.

Yeah. She could never turn it off, and usually had an additional "zinger" after the other panelists finished their comments. The constant fat jokes were so ... childish. Same with the lesbian jokes -- dog forbid a celebrity ever wore pink.

And don't get me started about someone on a fashion critique show who herself wore limp, ill-fitting, sparkly schmattas week after week. Joan had zero style herself, which is odd because she was so immersed in the industry, plus had a petite figure that she never showed off.

• Love 2

I think there's going to be two huge, unjoinable camps here.

1.) Those who came to the show for Joan's humor.

2.) Those who want the show to be more of an actual fashion critique (which may contain humor, but I guess it's not the main point, like it was when Joan was in charge).

#1 probably has the sub-groups of those who think the humorous approach could continue with a similar comic, and those who think it's Joan or nobody.

To me personally, although they seem like nice people, Kelly and George seem completely disposable (Kelly at the very least will be fine if this job goes away--there are a hundred different places that will hire her just for her name--George on the other hand might not have as many options).  The big skinny stick, Guiliana, I personally wish would just go away, but I doubt her other reality show will be affected.   

I didn't tune into the show with any sense of urgency or compulsion, but I'd always keep it on if I flipped past through channels and it was on, and that was to be honest, completely because of Joan.  Despite really disliking the version of her I recall from The Apprentice (sorry, I was always on Annie Duke's side of that conflict), Joan's actual comedy itself was always dead on to me.  It was mean, sure, but  I'm not sure I even see the point of a lukewarm version of this show.  It's got to be balls to the wall or don't bother at all.  That said, I do think the basic concept of the show can transcend Joan.  But it has to be the SAME idea.  The really mean lady and some assistants mercilessly picking apart celebrities.  I honestly don't think Kelly, George, or The Stick can do the heavy lifting without a central focus.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I think Roseann would be good on this show.  Her wit is cutting and she has the same 'I don't give a fuck what people think of me attitude' and that is needed if they are to get a comic on board.  Kathy Griffin is to rehearsed and 'look at me' for the job.  In interviews and on talk shows she is always doing stand up.  Joan made quips but they were asides and not a mini routine. 

I think Roseann would be good on this show.  Her wit is cutting and she has the same 'I don't give a fuck what people think of me attitude' and that is needed if they are to get a comic on board.  Kathy Griffin is to rehearsed and 'look at me' for the job.  In interviews and on talk shows she is always doing stand up.  Joan made quips but they were asides and not a mini routine. 

I think the problem with Roseanne is that unlike Joan she can't even FAKE having fashion knowledge or taste. The same is true, I think, for one of the other ideas I wondered about, Margaret Cho.

If they want to go younger, one name that occurred to me is Whitney Cummings.  I hated her sitcom, but her non-sitcom stuff is actually better.  She'd be like hiring Sarah Silverman, but going a decade younger.

I was actually semi-serious about Mario Cantone.  He'd be one of the few routes I could think of to break the formula, but still have someone interesting and comedy-centered as the "lead".

I do see the point about Kathy Griffin monologuing a lot, but I think that's not inherently a style thing and more a consequence of the venues she usually performs in.  I think she could reign that in if she had to.

I think the problem with Roseanne is that unlike Joan she can't even FAKE having fashion knowledge or taste. The same is true, I think, for one of the other ideas I wondered about, Margaret Cho.

If they want to go younger, one name that occurred to me is Whitney Cummings.  I hated her sitcom, but her non-sitcom stuff is actually better.  She'd be like hiring Sarah Silverman, but going a decade younger.

I was actually semi-serious about Mario Cantone.  He'd be one of the few routes I could think of to break the formula, but still have someone interesting and comedy-centered as the "lead".

I do see the point about Kathy Griffin monologuing a lot, but I think that's not inherently a style thing and more a consequence of the venues she usually performs in.  I think she could reign that in if she had to.

I love Mario, he would have to reel in a touch.  He is guilty of the 'look at me' thing too.  You are right about Roseann, she has never shown herself to know anything about fashion.  She is dressing better these days but her stylist is doing the job. Carson Presley maybe?  Chelsea Handler though I think she left E! on bad terms.  Some of the comics she featured may work.  And yes on Cummings, I think she would be good. 

I think Melissa should take Joan's middle position though.  Even with a set change there will be someone in the middle.  Guilianna could, as well.  The comic should not replace Joan's role.  They should be an addition.  

I hate the idea of Guilianna being in charge of anything.  Maybe that's just me.

One thing we have no idea about is if Melissa would even necessarily still be in charge of the show.  I have no idea if E! owns the show, or the Rivers' production company.

The Production credits on the show are:  E! Entertainment Television, New Harbor Entertainment, Rugby Productions

But none of that necessarily says anything about actual ownership.

So they could certainly try to ditch Melissa entirely (after waiting a suitable time, with the show presumably off the air, so it doesn't seem so opportunistic) and do a total reboot.  But that would totally bring to a head the question of if its the show itself that's the value, the Rivers name, or just the branding.

NY Daily News is one of the few media outlets I've seen give an outright article on this:  http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/joan-rivers-death-leaves-fashion-police-head-article-1.1929403

The article DOES seem to suggest it's up to Melissa though (although it's not an attributed quote, it's just generically cited to "an E! executive", which is so vague it could be anybody, including someone with no actual power to make the statement).

An E! executive said, “They would be nuts to go on without Joan, but a lot of it is going to come down to what Melissa (Rivers) wants — she’s an executive producer and stars on the show.”

A lot of stuff is going to show up today probably about Joan's funeral.  She seems to have gotten her wishes it seems about almost everything other than absenting the droning Rabbi (because they held the ceremony at a synagogue).  I also don't think either Meryl Streep or Bobby Vinton managed to make the ceremony...

Howard Stern, of all people, gave a eulogy.  But maybe it's not so shocking.  Stern has had his share of "friends because they are famous", but I always got the sense he truly felt differently about Rivers.   Dump Truck Trump was there too, which I doubt was all that sincere, but Joan DID say she wanted it to be about flash and celebrity more than substance.

EDIT - People Magazine seems to have a fairly detailed report on the funeral.

And this is interesting (and one of the better uses of social media).  People Mag even has a picture gallery where they are asking people to upload (or hashtag a social media upload with the tag #PeopleWithJoan) their photos taken with Joan (which may also appear in their next print issue).  People Mag Joan Rivers Photo Gallery.

Edited by Kromm

There is going to be a lot of shit articles about the fate of this show.  pfffffft  It is all about getting hits on your site at this point.  E! is not openinly talking about this so it is all speculation.

All E! has is the Kardashians.  I have never watched it but it is their cash cow.  To lose Fashion Police is saying we are only Chris Jenner all the way. They don't want that.  They will fight to resurrect this show in a big way.  They have little else save E! News.  

I think they need to avoid hiring anyone who can be perceived as a carbon copy of Joan.  I was thinking that they shouldn't get a comedian but instead find a name within the fashion world who can bring the snark.  I was actually thinking of  Paulina Porizkova who was awesome as a judge on America's Next Top Model.  Isaac Mizrahi is also a top choice for me.

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 1

I think they need to avoid hiring anyone who can be perceived as a carbon copy of Joan.  I was thinking that they shouldn't get a comedian but instead find a name within the fashion world who can bring the snark.  I was actually thinking of  Paulina Porizkova who was awesome as a judge on America's Next Top Model.  Isaac Mizrahi is also a top choice for me.

I like the idea of an edgy person from the fashion world. I am not fond of Isaac and don't know much about Paulina.  Nina from Project Runway would be fabulous!  

I loved Joan. I'm proud to say I went to the same college.

I once got to see one of her live performances.  It was uproarious.   I always listened to her on Stern, and I watched Fashion Police and some of her other shows, like "How'd You Get So Rich," which was rerun yesterday.

I never had watched her on Celebrity Apprentice, so I watched some of those episodes on Youtube yesterday, which was interesting.  Interesting that Donald Trump fired famewhore Khloe Kardashian in episode 6 or so because Khloe had a DUI.  Trump is a famous lifelong teetotaler, apparently, and made a strong statement against drunk driving by firing her, even though she was carrying out her sentence. 

Fashion Police won't be the same without Joan; I think if the show is going to continue they need to change the format somewhat to keep the inevitable comparisons at bay. A new host is needed (Kimora Lee Simmons maybe; I've enjoyed her on the show before-- or maybe Zanna Roberts Rossi, who is actually a fashion person?) to direct the discussion of the outfits and personally I think the show could be streamlined-- fewer games and more actual fashion/trends. The show was both fashion and a comedy vehicle for Joan, I while keeping some humor would good, trying to recreate the show with another comedienne would feel wrong.

Thinking about it some more-- Joanna Coles, the mentor from Project Runway All-Stars could be a good fit. She's got a bit of sharp tongue and some experience in the fashion world.

Edited by catray
  • Love 1

One thing I found personally shocking about her death is that I myself have had THREE such (otolarynghoozie) exams this winter -  and was given nothing but a seemingly benign numbing nasal spray.

That is the norm. But Joan may have been like many patients who have a fear of having instruments inserted through the nose. (and you have to overcome your gag reflex)

I won't do it. My Dr. wants me to do it and I said not unless sedated. plus she was 81, and suffered from A-Fib.

• Love 1

To me personally, although they seem like nice people, Kelly and George seem completely disposable (Kelly at the very least will be fine if this job goes away--there are a hundred different places that will hire her just for her name--George on the other hand might not have as many options).  The big skinny stick, Guiliana, I personally wish would just go away, but I doubt her other reality show will be affected.   

George is a well know and very successful celebrity stylist. There are always celebrities on the red carpet that he has styled.   He doesn't need this show. He will be just fine if Fashion Police goes away. 

George is a well know and very successful celebrity stylist. There are always celebrities on the red carpet that he has styled.   He doesn't need this show. He will be just fine if Fashion Police goes away. 

TV exposure is golden and pays well.  He will be fine but not as fine as if this gig continued!  

TV exposure is golden and pays well.  He will be fine but not as fine as if this gig continued!  

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant--as a MEDIA figure he's kind of disposable.  His actual career aside from this won't be hurt, I'm sure.

I was terribly sad and shocked that Joan passed away.   Despite being 81, she had the energy of someone at least half her age and she worked harder too.  She was unstoppable.  It's not like she was a decrepit, ailing, barely moving senior citizen.  She was an icon, a legend, a trailblazer -- all of those things.  I have found myself incredibly moved and in tears by all of the wonderful tributes and detailed stories that people have shared about her in the past several days -- and the stories seem sincere and real.  They're not forced or bogus tales to make Joan sound good, like so many stories are after someone passes on.  It seems that a lot of people really loved Joan.

I remember when Joan used to fill in for Johnny on the Tonight Show. I also went to a taping of her own talk show on Fox.   Did I like every single one of Joan's jokes?  No.  Of course not.  Then again, I also don't always like every single song that a great rock band performs, nor would I like every single meal that a master chef prepares.  I don't even necessarily love every single episode of Breaking Bad -- my favorite TV series.  Every artist or piece of art has hits and misses.

I've thought a lot about the future of FP, so I was glad to see this thread!   I felt the jokes on Fashion Police were shoehorned in and often awkward in places.  Some of them were funny, but a lot of them fell flat.  I don't know who was responsible for the decision to work in all of those jokes to the point of interrupting actual fashion commentary, but they could have cut the number of jokes in half and it would have made a big difference.  The efforts to be funny felt forced many times, even though I knew that Joan was an inherently funny woman away from the show.

E! has tried to go the awards show fashion recap route without Joan in the past (in between her stints at E!).  In fact, Kathy Griffin hosted some of those shows.  Debbie Matenopolous also hosted some of them.  I watched them -- because I like that type of show -- and they were amusing, but they were always missing some kind of spark.  That spark was Joan.

TVGN also attempted to continue its fashion recap shows after Joan left or was fired from that network.  Remember the Lisa Rinna days?  The Carrie Ann Inaba days?  The Ali Landry days?  Again, I watched the shows because I like that type of show, but it was never the same without Joan.  Finally, TVGN just gave up entirely, and they no longer do red carpet shows or fashion recap shows at all.  I don't think they could compete with E!  Joan was really at the epicenter of those sorts of red carpet fashion recap shows, and her comments were the main draw for many viewers, I think. 

So... now the other 3 people on FP may be in a holding pattern of sorts.  If not for the fact that FP is/was a weekly show, this would seem to be the perfect time to take a hiatus and regroup, deciding on the fate of the show before January -- when the Golden Globes show rolls around.  Giuliana already took a lot of time away from FP, and there had been rumors that Maria Menounos might end up with G's spot on FP and on the red carpet.  As soon as those rumors began circulating, I noticed that G started appearing on FP more regularly! 

E! may not want to continue on with Fashion Police as we know it.  There could be a new format and name, and it might not be weekly anymore.  I do think that there is a market and niche for fashion recap shows on TV but, again, without Joan, these shows have not done as well in the past and I'm not sure if they would do as well now either.  I hope that Melissa is involved in whatever kind of show it is, IF it ends up coming back -- maybe she will stay behind the scenes; maybe she will get on camera.  I think that Joan would want her to continue.

The main things I want to see, as a viewer, are:

1.  Some humor (though not non-stop jokes);

2.  Actual commentary on the fashion (men too), with the best and worst dressed at the end of the night; and

3.  Honesty -  I don't want to see someone sugar-coating their assessments of outfits because they don't want to be mean.  I want them to be honest.  At least Giuliana is usually honest, for the most part, and so is Melissa. 

They could try out Kathy Griffin again.  Ross Mathews would be fun on the panel.  Wendy Williams might not be bad as a "guest host."   Mario Cantone would be decent.  Tabatha Coffey would not be a bad addition to the panel.

There are a few ways they (the E! people) could go with it.  I hope the show is not abandoned entirely, but it will never be the same.

• Love 2

Thanks for posting the oddly absorbing Howard Stern video. Enjoyed it even though I generally loathe him (for, among other things, calling a vulva a vagina).

What a gal. I thought it was Joan's jokes I hated, but I am now wondering if they would have not seemed not-so-bad without those interminable reaction shots. 

Edited by Gumby

I got tired of the reaction shots-especially Kelly who always acted like she had never heard such a thing, or that her 'innocence' was just destroyed by the joke; instead some of the things she said were mean without being humorous.  I also would laugh out loud at some of the outfits that Kelly or Guiliana wore on the show.  Yes, I know that I don't understand fashion, but I do know when something is funny....

• Love 1

I think a lot of Kelly's reactions were because she WANTED to laugh but she was either friends with the butt of the joke or she didn't want to offend whomever it was.

Kelly's friendship with people like Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber confuses me too, sometimes.  Despite her past, she seems more sensible these days than most of these people.

I got tired of the reaction shots-especially Kelly who always acted like she had never heard such a thing, or that her 'innocence' was just destroyed by the joke

Perhaps it would not have been so grating had Kel's signature reaction been an authentic laughing "Boooo!" or a loud "Tsk Tsk Haha!" But the pearlclutching feigning of shock 9 times per show was just not credible for someone raised in the House of Ozzie!

Edited by Gumby
  • Love 1

Kelly's friendship with people like Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber confuses me too, sometimes.  Despite her past, she seems more sensible these days than most of these people.

She made a huge change in her life and has emerged as one of my favorite people.  Ohhhhhhhh, she is NOT friends with Justin Beiber.  Quite the contrary.