Type keyword(s) to search

Chowchilla

DanaK
  • Start Topic

I remember when this happened. It freaked me out, because I was a young kid, the same age as many of the victims, and took a bus to school every day.

This is recommended viewing, especially for those who don't know much about this incident. That's got to be many people, because it's been all but forgotten. One lasting legacy, though, is the emergency response given to kids in crisis situations. These days, psychologists and counselors are immediately on the scene to help the victims, and are available afterward to help with any problems that might develop. The Chowchilla kids were totally left on their own. They got zero counseling after such a horrible ordeal. They were sent home, and that was that. 

How different would the lives of the victims have been if they'd received counseling? They at least have a rewarding legacy, since kids in their situation today would have immediate counseling available. But unfortunately for them, they were the test cases. It's obvious from listening to the survivors, who are now in their 60s, that they've carried that day with them their whole lives. A tough way to leave a good legacy. 

• Like 4

I forgot about this kidnapping, but when I saw the preview I remembered watching a tv movie about this with my family when I was younger.

This was done very well, sad to see the after effects on the children (and I assume the bus driver too).

The three kidnappers didn't seem to have much remorse. It could have been a lot worse if they just left them there a few days while they waited for their ransom money.

• Like 1

I had read about this incident so the story was a must see.   I was a kid too when it happened but I don't remember hearing about it at the time.

Those poor kids.   And the parents not knowing what happened to their kids.   the kidnappers were just bored rich kids whose parents finally said no so they behaved poorly.    Where have we heard that before?   

Not suprised those kids still carry the trauma.   You've just been stuck in a hole in the dark, then you are free and you want to see your parents but reporters are shoving microphones in your face.   Nowdays, they keep reporters back and ASK if anyone wants to talk to the media.   Even for adults.  Remember when those men were rescued from the mine in Pennyslvania after several days.   They were asked if it was okay to film them coming up, they all said yes.   But asking shows it was an option to keep the media away.