Type keyword(s) to search

I'm Visiting Your Town, Where Should I Eat?

mansonlamps
  • Start Topic

I was reading the ice cream thread and a few people mentioned Fort Worth and named places to go while there. Since I go on business trips to Fort Worth all the time, I was intrigued. Where do you visit often and need recommendations for where to eat?

By the way, Fort Worth people, I am all ears!

• Love 1

Well, it's going to depend a little bit on what you like, masonlamps :-) Any food preferences or aversions? Not that I know Fort Worth, I'm in West County outside St. Louis and okay, here we go (keep in mind, I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish so my recommendations reflect that):

On The Hill in St. Louis, it's an area known for Italian, but I like Modesto, it's a Tapas bar (so it's Spanish influenced). It does have a lot of options outside of vegetarian ones. I also Small Batch which is relatively new and closer to St. Louis. It's a Vegan and Vegetarian whiskey bar. Just the concept cracks me up, but the food is genuinely good.

Then for Thai food, I personally like Ocha on Olive, closer to the 'burbs. Sorry, I know St. Louis is actually famous for BBQ and ...yeah, I can't really help anyone there, but I'm sure Tripadvisor is a good bet for that!

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

I was reading the ice cream thread and a few people mentioned Fort Worth and named places to go while there. Since I go on business trips to Fort Worth all the time, I was intrigued. Where do you visit often and need recommendations for where to eat?

By the way, Fort Worth people, I am all ears!

Nice/expensive-- Grace

Relatively inexpensive Mexican- El Fenix

In the middle/not cheap Italian- Taverna

Brunch or dinner/wine- Winston's

Tacos- velvet taco or at a late night taco truck behind it

Older people/standard American with a bar- Charlestons

Inventive burgers- Rodeo Goat

Fort Worth western food and style- Reata

I also love Sushi axiom (hip) and Glorias (local "Mexican" chain but with a huge menu with foods from lots of Hispanic/Latin places).

All places have bars except I'm unsure about El Fenix because Ive only gotten food delivered, but I'd bet on yes.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 1

Brunch: Wish.  One of the few places that actually takes brunch reservations!  My favourite items on the menu include their French toast, Nutella sandwich and Eggs in Purgatory (basically shakshuka under a different name).  Another favourite of mine is Lola's Kitchen, which is great if you're vegan/vegetarian. Both restaurants also serve dinner.  Third favourite: MoRoCo Chocolat.  THEY HAVE SIPPING CHOCOLATE!!!  Definitely order THAT to finish off your brunch.  So much richer than your regular hot chocolate/cocoa!  Also a great spot for afternoon tea.

Chinese (dim sum): Lai Wah Heen if you want something on the higher end or Pearl Harbourfront if you want traditional cart service.  There are also plenty of places in the suburbs.  Toronto's Cantonese cuisine is Hong Kong style authentic, and it's actually very difficult to find North American Chinese food (i.e. chop suey and egg rolls.  Ask any Chinese person for egg rolls and they'll give you something sweet). 

If you're looking for more (modern) Taiwanese/Shanghainese style, Lee Chen Asian Bistro is great for soup dumplings, though there are more authentic places in the suburbs.  Whatever you do, DON'T GO TO CHINATOWN for Chinese food unless you want to go really, really cheap and eat at sort of hole-in-the-wall restaurants.  Toronto's Chinese community generally won't eat there unless they're coming from the office.  Other Chinese/Chinese-inspired places you might want to try include DaiLo (interesting note: They originally wanted to call the place GwaiLo, but (probably) had to change it because it's a racial slur for white people), Lee or Bent (both are Susur Lee restaurants).  I would also suggest Luckee.  I personally like that it serves dim sum at dinner, but some people think it's a bit overrated). 

Indian: The Host Indian Cuisine or its more modern/fusion cousin, 259 Host (in the financial district).  Utsav in Yorkville is also good.

"Canadian" Food: Bannock, especially after a day of shopping at the Eaton Centre.  They also have brunch.

Pizza: My favourite mini-chain, Magic Oven, especially if you want vegan or Pizzeria Libretto (another mini-chain).  If you want Roman style, there's Tutti Pizzeria, a newly open and hidden place in Yorkville or Buca (the Yorkville location is more seafood inspired, while King Street is more meat).  Pizza is served with scissors.

Middle Eastern: Fat Pasha (Israeli-inspired cuisine - portion sizes are fairly large and made to share.  Definitely order the cauliflower) or Tabule (love their falafels).

Mexican: Wilbur Mexicana for tacos, Los Colibris for something sitdown. 

Expensive Date Night: Sassafraz or ONE Restaurant, both in the tony Yorkville area of Toronto. Another favourite is La Société, especially in the summer when they open their lower patio.

Ice Cream: Summer's Ice Cream.  It's seasonal - they're usually closed between November and March.  Another place to try is Gelato Simply Italian, which has two locations in the city.

Other places: Brownstone Bistro (general restaurant with pretty much everything), Origin (two locations, including one in the suburbs), Trevor Kitchen + Bar (they have complimentary cotton candy) as well as the restaurant at The Beverley Hotel

• Love 1

Where I live the best places to eat for:

Italian: Romeo & Juliet's

Greek: probably Pano's

wings: any bar. But Bar Bill is the best

Mexican: la yay teka

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

Blue ray I am guessing you are from Buffalo? If I go there I need Beef on Weck.

I grew up in the Buffalo area and went back every year for decades while my mother was alive.  I always went somewhere for beef on weck and took home large amounts of sponge candy.  I've been thinking of ordering some sponge candy while the weather is still cold.  Wish I could order a sandwich.

I didn't know Buffalo Foods (the website) existed.  Thanks!  I definitely have to order some sponge candy now.  The beef on weck is $50 for enough for 6 sandwiches - yikes!  I shudder to think how much an order would be after air shipping is added in.  I think I'll pass on that.  Tempting though.

mlp, I've only had beef on weck once and that was in Atlanta, at a sports bar that was hosting a Sabres Road Crew event before they played the Thrashers. It was very yummy, and I told myself that I'll have to have a real one if I ever make it to Buffalo (I really want to see a Sabs home game). I've heard about sponge candy when listening to WGR online, and bookmarked the Buffalo Foods web site -- have you seen this? You'd have to make it yourself, and it's price, but if you're really craving it …

http://w.mawebcenters.com/Buffalofoods/ecommerce/baked-goods/beef-on-weck-gift-pack.html

Yeah, you'll have to try the real thing. Bar Bill's has good Beef on Weck too.

And yes I am.

Edited by blueray

We're going to be in the Mid-Hudson Valley around April 14-15 and I wonder if anyone here can recommend some places to dine (could be fantastic cafes, diners as well as nice restaurants).  We're staying in Fishkill and visiting Beacon and Cold Spring.

Okay, I saw a post suggesting Canadian food. And to this moment I had not thought of Canadians having food other than American food. Here me thinking I'm so international, too. What is Canadian cuisine?

• Love 1

Okay, I saw a post suggesting Canadian food. And to this moment I had not thought of Canadians having food other than American food. Here me thinking I'm so international, too. What is Canadian cuisine?

That's funny because all I can think of its Canadian bacon lol. And I know I've been to the restaurant in the Canada section of Epcot a couple of times, but don't remember the specialties.

• Love 1

As Americans have regional foods, Canadians do too on a smaller scale. Without writing too long a post, the most notable, trendy and IMHO delicious of aspect of Canadian cuisine is that from Quebec. It has its roots in traditional rural French food from three hundred years ago. Maple syrup is heavily featured and so is pork and offal. Poutine was developed in Quebec too. Quebec is also home to a lot of fantastic cheese. The closer you get to the Atlantic and the Pacific, the more popular seafood becomes though, but that tends to be more Scottish/British/Irish influenced. 

• Love 2

We're going to be in the Mid-Hudson Valley around April 14-15 and I wonder if anyone here can recommend some places to dine (could be fantastic cafes, diners as well as nice restaurants).  We're staying in Fishkill and visiting Beacon and Cold Spring.

This is now my favorite town name surpassing Cut and Shoot (Texas) and Cranky Corner (Louisiana).

• Love 1

This is now my favorite town name surpassing Cut and Shoot (Texas) and Cranky Corner (Louisiana).

Actually it's because the area was settled by the Dutch that so many towns in the Hudson Valley end in "kill" which means creek in Dutch (I think the Dutch spell it "kil" though...not sure). But the name sure does look peculiar if you're not from that area ;>)

• Love 1

I've heard that this place is excellent.  Blue Hill At Stone Barns.

http://www.bluehillfarm.com/dine/stone-barns

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1

I did not like Paris (heresy, I know).   The people were just as rude as the stereotype, and because I can speak French, I could understand when they were saying rude things about me right in front of my face.   But the art, the architecture, the history, and ohhh the food, made up for it.  My top recommendation is Berthillon, a fabulous ice cream shop.   There is a flagship shop, which is crazily crowded and overpriced, but lots of cafes and shops sell their ice cream, and have big signs out front advertising that fact.   In late spring, their frais de bois/wild strawberry, is worth lining up for.

• Love 2

In London we're staying at the Melia White House Hotel near Regents Park. In Paris we're staying at the Plaza Elysees which is near Champs Elysees. If something is worth the trek, we're not adverse to finding our way there.

I love Beacon and Cold Spring, we almost moved there last year. There's a craft beer bar called The Hop in Beacon that overlooks the cutest creek. It's a little fancy but the food is really good. In Cold Spring, I love the Depot. They have great comfort food and if it's a little chilly, you can sit by their gorgeous fireplace. There's also the Hudson Hill Cafe for brunch. It gets packed really quickly but the pancakes are to die for.

Any recommendations for London and Paris?

There's a million good restaurants in London but if you like pubs, I recommend The Shaston Arms in Soho. They sell Badger beer from Dorset. I'm not a super beer drinker but I've never had a Badger beer that I didn't like. It's also right in the heart of the city. For food and ambiance, check out The Crusting Pipe (I think it's proper name may be Davy's Wine Bar) in Covent Garden. It's very touristy but they have amazing wine and cheese. The best part is you can listen to the students from the nearby music schools who perform by the courtyard for tips. It's a lovely, relaxing afternoon.

• Love 3

I love Beacon and Cold Spring, we almost moved there last year. There's a craft beer bar called The Hop in Beacon that overlooks the cutest creek. It's a little fancy but the food is really good. In Cold Spring, I love the Depot. They have great comfort food and if it's a little chilly, you can sit by their gorgeous fireplace. There's also the Hudson Hill Cafe for brunch. It gets packed really quickly but the pancakes are to die for.

Thanks so much!  The Hop used to be Mi-Ro's back in the day, a pizza/bar hangout that I only visited once being from the west side of Beacon which used to be two towns and was merged in 1913 (old habits die hard).  I've heard great things about The Hop so we may have to try it out (it's also near Russ Cusicks gallery).  I so want to get some pictures of the Fishkill Creek too.  Beacon, NY has become a tourist mecca which is so amazing to a native of this old factory town.  I haven't heard of the The Depot & Hudson Hill Cafe and will look them up. We always loved trips down to Cold Spring, a little village whose main attraction was the pier and bandstand on the Hudson River (when you go through the tunnel of Breakneck Mountain you have to toot the horn--it's a tradition I've now learned from the Beacon site--thought my dad was the only one to do that). Thanks again for the tips!

If something is worth the trek, we're not adverse to finding our way there.

Be sure to visit the Eiffel Tower in the evening (as well as the day, of course).  When it gets dark, the tower lights up.  Then, when it's really dark, at the top of the hour, all the lights start sparkling. Some may love the Louvre, some may be transfixed by Montmarte, but I was lit up the moment I saw the Eiffel Tower sparkling in all its glory.  The boat cruise on the Seine was just ok (you and 1,000 other tourists in a cramped space) but when we got off and were shuffling toward the stairs, we heard ooooohs and aaaahhhs and looked up and the Eiffel Tower, above us, was just aglow with twinkling lights and I just went bananas!  Try the roast chicken and whipped mashed potatoes at a cafe--I still keep trying to make them like that. So divine. Macarons were tasty & ok--I don't understand the hysteria over them. 

• Love 1

Hey New Yorkers... I need help!  We're going to make a quick visit to Manhatten on Sunday, April 17.  The first stop out of Grand Central will be somehow getting down to Carmine St. to Joe's Pizza so I can have an authenic slice of regular pizza pie.  If you're a former New York State native & trying to find this ancient relic, you understand why I'm making this trek.  Then, we'll visit the 9/11 memorial and museum.  So, after that, it's time for an early dinner before our train trip back to Beacon so I'm looking either for an American cafe or French cafe that serves really good food.  Is there anything in lower Manhatten or do we need to head back to midtown? We don't want to be too far away from Grand Central because we need to catch a train back to semi-upstate before it gets too dark.  Thanks in advance!

Anyone have recommendations for Los Angeles? I'll be there on a 2 day, 1 night trip next week, and am saying at a hotel near LAX (not opposed to driving a while for a fun meal though!).

• Love 1

Where are you from and what type of food can't you get locally?  The LA area has a really diverse selection of types of foods and neighborhoods so for me the question is too vague (and I probably just am over thinking things).

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1

Hello all. I enjoy reading this topic and many others on PTV. I don’t comment often so please bear with me if I screw this up.

Someone above asked for a good French place near Ground Zero. One of my very favorite places is Les Halles. There is one on John Street very close to where you'll be. They have another place on Park Ave and E 29 Street, not far from Grand Central. I've eaten at both and they are both wonderful.

Here's a link: http://leshalles.net/ 

I hope you have a good visit. I've been to the memorial which is very peaceful. I don't think I want to see the museum--too hard for me to take. I worked downtown and would rather remember the happier times.

• Love 1

Where are you from and what type of food can't you get locally?  The LA area has a really diverse selection of types of foods and neighborhoods so for me the question is too vague (and I probably just am over thinking things).

I'm in Dallas, so plenty of big city options.  Perhaps seafood?  Or something typically "Californian"?

Anyone have recommendations for Los Angeles? I'll be there on a 2 day, 1 night trip next week, and am saying at a hotel near LAX (not opposed to driving a while for a fun meal though!).

There are lots of fun and fine dining going on in LA.

You might like to try Cafe Gratitude which is so high quality the food will fool you. Like the Key Lime Pie with thick whipped cream but contains no dairy whatsoever. The main courses are wonderful and filling. It is very filling.  http://cafegratitude.com

I also like Chinatown's seafood restaurant which has dim sum for lunch everyday. http://www.oceanseafoodchinatown.com

I'll be there on a 2 day, 1 night trip next week, and am saying at a hotel near LAX (not opposed to driving a while for a fun meal though!).

Manhattan Beach is only about five miles away, and there's a nice little Italian restaurant there, a family-run, cooking Grandma's recipes type of joint.  Mama D's.  It's small and a neighborhood favorite, and I don't know if they take reservations, so there might be a wait.

• Love 1

I hope you have a good visit. I've been to the memorial which is very peaceful. I don't think I want to see the museum--too hard for me to take. I worked downtown and would rather remember the happier times.

Thanks, SusieQ for the link and the tip.  I'd forgotten all about Les Halles. That might be the perfect place.  And yes we want to see the memorial but we've agreed that the museum will be too tough.

I agree with ethalfrida's suggestion of Ocean Seafood for dim sum.  Or seafood.  Or anything really.

I'd ask locals for recommendations on Mexican food - from the smaller, non-chain places you can get some very good food that is, IMO, different from what I have had in Texas (I'm in the Houston area).  Maybe it is a reflection of a different region of Mexico?  Not sure, but I crave the carne asada I could get there.

A lot of my former co-workers from back East would always include a stop at In-n-Out on their trips.  I was so so on it, but there are a lot of hardcore fanatics out there.

• Love 1

For sure DeLurker, the options for Mexican food are amazing and awesome! Even the chains like King Taco are free of that same-ness common chains are bound by. Then there is Koreatown (K-town) where the foods are so good and come with those little tongue teaser dishes... may be kimchee, pickled broccoli or maybe potato salad (I love Asian style potato salad) but usually around 5 or so little dishes per meal.

If you like hanging out with locals then you might like Versailles which has the best grilled garlic chicken ever... Rosco's Chicken and Waffles (Google location near you)...Ruthchris Grill. 

For a list of great Mexican, dine-in restaurants here is Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Best+Mexican+Food&find_loc=Los+Angeles%2C+CA

Hey New Yorkers... I need help!  We're going to make a quick visit to Manhatten on Sunday, April 17.  The first stop out of Grand Central will be somehow getting down to Carmine St. to Joe's Pizza so I can have an authenic slice of regular pizza pie.  If you're a former New York State native & trying to find this ancient relic, you understand why I'm making this trek.  Then, we'll visit the 9/11 memorial and museum.  So, after that, it's time for an early dinner before our train trip back to Beacon so I'm looking either for an American cafe or French cafe that serves really good food.  Is there anything in lower Manhatten or do we need to head back to midtown? We don't want to be too far away from Grand Central because we need to catch a train back to semi-upstate before it gets too dark.  Thanks in advance!

It's a little pricy and the owner can be a bit nuts but if you can, try to get to Le Veau d'Or. It's on E. 60th, between Lexington and Park, right near the 59th Street Lexington Avenue stop on the N,Q,R. The ambiance is old school French/NY and the food is exactly what you'd want from a classic French restaurant. One piece of advice; make sure you know your exact reservation (date, time, number in your party.) The original owner was this incredibly sweet French man but he passed away a few years ago and his daughter took over. She can be lovely and charming but she's very old New York and doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Edited by Jules2307
  • Love 1

In London we're staying at the Melia White House Hotel near Regents Park. In Paris we're staying at the Plaza Elysees which is near Champs Elysees. If something is worth the trek, we're not adverse to finding our way there.

Re. Paris, sadly the Champs Elysées are not a good place for good food - as they mostly cater to tourists who are not repeat customers, the food is often average and overpriced.

But take heart, Paris has a lot of very nice restaurants in most neighborhoods, the least touristy they look the better I'd say :) The "plat du jour" or "menu du jour" is often worth trying, as it's made from the best ingredients of the day.

Also, small neighborhoods cafés usually serve excellent croissants for breakfast.

My motto in Paris is to walk until I'm hungry and then let my nose guide me to pleasant kitchen smells :)

• Love 5