Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Plus 8 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just don't see all this misery and hatred for one another and their mother that others see.  Would it be better for them to be living in a tent with Jon?  Or wherever he's living now since he's unemployed again.

Kate constantly acts like she has the worst life in the world. She has literally turned to the camera man and said, "You should feel bad for me". She has made remarks to the kids about wanting them to be quiet so she can pretend she's alone, or wishing she could have just spent the money to make her OWN space better. She is constantly laying guilt trips on those kids. No, I wouldn't want to see them living in a tent, but a nice house only goes so far. It means nothing when they come home to nothing but nagging, martyrdom, and spirit-breaking power trips. 

• Love 9

She's been like this from day one. Ugh. I'd go insane with her.

I took a look at Kate's twitter feed and she had tweeted during the show.  Mady has become a regular roommate in Kate's room so this has been a struggle even with Cara for a while.  Kate also said that when the kids said they wanted to learn an instrument she had no idea that meant Alexis would bring a drum home.  I do think that is one big reason to try for a private school if you can afford it.  Most public schools have dropped music programs since these cost money and do not help the scores for 'no child left behind'.  

After the last set of viewer numbers the inter web is saying they have ordered new episodes.  I saw the Wendy Williams interview and Kate mentioned that if this allows her to support 8 kids and still make dinner for them everyday then she's blessed.

• Love 3

It is with great sadness that I come to tell you I gave in and watched. However, in my defense I was laid off a few months ago and am VERY bored and have a lot of free time on my hands. I would like to think if I was happily employed (or even unhappily employed) this never would have happened :).

Anyway, my question to those of you who can tell the kids apart: what should I be looking for? I know Cara, Mady and Aaden (sp) only. Certain features? Their terrible behavior? I also know Collin when he's sitting (cross legged :) on the couch. But I can't tell any of the others apart.

Thanks for any tips!!

I know their names but I couldn't tell you which names goes with which child lol Except Cara and Maddie

I think the remodel went very well.  Kate handled it and the chaos a lot better than I would.  I know the kids complained a lot at first, but when it was all done, they seemed to love it and be appreciative.  I just don't see all this misery and hatred for one another and their mother that others see.  Would it be better for them to be living in a tent with Jon?  Or wherever he's living now since he's unemployed again. 

I don't think I'd label Mady as bipolar.  She's always had a bit of a difficult temperament, but Kate seems to know how to navigate with her to try to keep her on an even keel.  There's always one child in every family who's harder to deal with than the others.

I'm sure Kate is not much different off camera but I'd be willing to bet she ramps up the dramatics for the camera AND for the crew and I think that makes the kids react the way they do.  It's so similar to my work life it's ridiculous. I have very very good moments with my boss and very very VERY bad moments that I witness (I think I'm her favorite so that bodes well for me). But when she has an audience her intensity goes up many levels. 

I took a look at Kate's twitter feed and she had tweeted during the show.  Mady has become a regular roommate in Kate's room so this has been a struggle even with Cara for a while.  Kate also said that when the kids said they wanted to learn an instrument she had no idea that meant Alexis would bring a drum home.  I do think that is one big reason to try for a private school if you can afford it.  Most public schools have dropped music programs since these cost money and do not help the scores for 'no child left behind'.  

HA! The moment I heard and saw that drum I thought "Kate must loathe that thing" 

I'm actually surprised she let them choose whatever they wanted.  I wonder if she purchased the instruments or is renting them.  I'm thinking renting since purchasing them would be one very very expensive bill. 

Anyone else think one of the little girls (Hannah maybe?) looks way more mature than her age? Her face just doesn't have the 'little kid' look that the other kids have.  

I'm actually surprised she let them choose whatever they wanted.  I wonder if she purchased the instruments or is renting them.  I'm thinking renting since purchasing them would be one very very expensive bill.

It can be either.  When public schools had music programs a lot of the more expensive instruments could be rented.  You haven't suffered sticker shock until you priced a tuba.  This is a private school so they might have different programs.  One private school I know have has intro music classes where the purpose is to try out all kinds of instruments.  But we'll probably hear more if they really have ordered more episodes.

Anyone else think one of the little girls (Hannah maybe?) looks way more mature than her age? Her face just doesn't have the 'little kid' look that the other kids have.

Yea, Hannah has always looked very different from the other two girls, to me. 

farmgal4, on 29 Jan 2015 - 12:01 AM, said:

I know what you're saying. In one of the very first scenes, maybe THE first scene, Mady had just had a crying meltdown because she didn't want to change rooms. I know kids get away with a lot more bad behavior nowadays, but if I had acted like that at her age, my dad would have dragged my ass to the woodshed for a good old-fashioned ass whippin', and I'm being serious. She acts like a spoiled brat and that's NOT okay at her age IMO.

Mady wasn't crying because she didn't want to change rooms.  She was crying because the younger girls were whining, and crying about moving to a different room, and if they didn't move, she couldn't have her own room.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 2

Leah and Alexis look the same to me, except when they are standing....Leah is the smaller (shorter) one.  Collin has the bigger head, but you said you already know who he is when sitting, lol on leg crossing. That only leaves Hannah and Joel. Hannah is the one with the eyes like Kate, one slightly "wonky"??? Joel is a cutie. He's the only one left!  There are your tips.

Thanks! Had no idea there was not one, but two wonky-eyed members of this family. Guess I need to pay better attention when watching. Or maybe I should just be thankful that I don't pay such close attention. :)

Hannah is the biggest girl. Alexis has a very big smile and is always in motion it seems and is tomboyish . Leah is the tiniest and it seems the sassiest lately! Did that help?

Please do not state opinion as fact; a simple IMO goes a long way.

Im sorry. Were you talking to me? I'm confused.

Im sorry. Were you talking to me? I'm confused.

When the mods put up a post highlighted in yellow, it means they are talking to all of us. Just reminders. So although it appears under your post it was not specifically meant for you.

• Love 1

It is with great sadness that I come to tell you I gave in and watched. However, in my defense I was laid off a few months ago and am VERY bored and have a lot of free time on my hands. I would like to think if I was happily employed (or even unhappily employed) this never would have happened :).

Anyway, my question to those of you who can tell the kids apart: what should I be looking for? I know Cara, Mady and Aaden (sp) only. Certain features? Their terrible behavior? I also know Collin when he's sitting (cross legged :) on the couch. But I can't tell any of the others apart.

Thanks for any tips!!

I'm the same, I didn't watch it during it's heyday because I didn't have TLC. I'd seen and episode here or there and couldn't help but keep up with the tabloids covering their divorce. Other than that, I didn't watch it enough to know which kid from which like I've been able to with The Duggars, The Browns or even The Jones (Quints by Surprise). I know Aayden because of the glasses and obviously the twins. I notice one of the girls seems tall and looks more Asian than the others (almost Filipina).  That's Hannah maybe?

I just don't know if I can continue. I feel like I'm just watching an hour of out of control kids and teenagers and their mom scream at them. I see that at the grocery store. There's no reason to have a show of it.  It's just too much. I'm sick of her acting like she's got the hardest life ever and she didn't ask for this. It's all a little much.

• Love 4

Episode 4:

"Cleaning House"

Kate holds a yard sale when the family's clutter starts to pile up; Mady and Cars have a birthday party at a trampoline park. Also: a new family portrait.

Airs February 3, 2015.

Kate constantly acts like she has the worst life in the world. She has literally turned to the camera man and said, "You should feel bad for me". She has made remarks to the kids about wanting them to be quiet so she can pretend she's alone, or wishing she could have just spent the money to make her OWN space better. She is constantly laying guilt trips on those kids. No, I wouldn't want to see them living in a tent, but a nice house only goes so far. It means nothing when they come home to nothing but nagging, martyrdom, and spirit-breaking power trips. 

My mom had 8 kids and there were times she said that she'd go to the bathroom, when she'd open the door to leave there would be a pile of little kids laying on the floor outside room waiting for her.  I recall a few times when we were out of school for storms or such and she'd have heard "Mom, Mommy, Ma!!!" a million times and she would say jokingly "someday I'm going to change my name  and not tell you what it is" Then there were days when she'd play spa day with us and she would lay on the couch and a bunch of us would rub her feet, arms and legs with lotion and others would give her new hair styles (on different sides of her head!!) and she would have to decide who did it better. It was always a TIE!! I don't recall her ever making us feel as if we were a burden or that it was a bother to take care of us. Many times the vacuuming and the cleaning didn't get done because we got her involved in our games or had her take us to the library or in the yard for a picnic. She enjoyed being a mom. Does Kate ever enjoy being a mom? I haven't seen it yet.

• Love 21

I haven't seen Kate's new show, but I can't help wondering what her life would be like if she had never had the sextuplets. I wonder if she'd still be married to Jon and working as a nurse. It sounds like she grew up in a rather unhappy household and was never able to truly learn how to love others, even her husband and kids. Maybe since she lacked love in her life as a child, she thought having a lot of kids would make her happy, but it didn't. It only created a great deal of stress and financial insecurity when the kids were babies, and if they had not gotten the tv show they may have had to go into bankruptcy. 

I agree. She acts like she was somehow forced into caring for these eight children, and what a noble thing it is, but it's just SO DARN HARD. It's kind of odd, considering the lengths she went through to get all of them. I won't begrudge her the hardness of it, but it would be nice to see some moment of bliss, where she's just enjoying how wonderful her kids are for a minute. The only thing I've seen even remotely close to that was when she got excited about the bird "painting".

• Love 6

Alexis has lighter colored hair than the other two girls. Hannah looks the oldest, and Leah is the smallest and has a less round face than Hannah.

Except for Aiden's glasses, I have a harder time telling the boys apart.

I think that they would've found a way to make a living (albeit a less glamorous one) the same way other large families without reality shows do. I very small (infinitely small) part of me feels sorry for Kate. She never seems satisfied or happy in the moment. She has to be micromanaging the kids, putting the kids down in some way, or trying to find a way to get more freebies. She never seems to enjoy and appreciate what she has.

That is so true! 

I haven't seen Kate's new show, but I can't help wondering what her life would be like if she had never had the sextuplets. I wonder if she'd still be married to Jon and working as a nurse. It sounds like she grew up in a rather unhappy household and was never able to truly learn how to love others, even her husband and kids. Maybe since she lacked love in her life as a child, she thought having a lot of kids would make her happy, but it didn't. It only created a great deal of stress and financial insecurity when the kids were babies, and if they had not gotten the tv show they may have had to go into bankruptcy. 

In the book, you can say she deliberately had the tups. She was filled with rage over the amount of freebies the Mccaughey septuplets were receiving. 

I watched the episode where they switch bedrooms this morning.  It wasn't Kate's worst, but she is so mean to those kids.  First off, now all the little boys have to go to school and have kids call them stinky.  Really?  Did you have to embarrass them like that on TV?  And all those girls fussing and whining and crying.  I wanted to backhand them myself.  Kate was over the top with the paint and with the pumpkin smashing.  She keeps asking the kids, "isn't this fun?"  What else can they say but yes, although their faces showed a different response.

Love how the boys room turned out, and they were so thrilled with their little cubbies in the windowsill.  What a cute touch! 

Kate saying "this is the last time you go in each others' rooms.  No boys in girls room, no girls in boys room."  Is she turning into one of the Duggars?

• Love 3

I can hardly understand Mady when she speaks.  She doesn't speak distinctly.  And she's just like her mom, same personality.

The twins really aren't cute anymore.  Especially Mady.  The little girls are beautiful and I just love those boys!

I couldn't watch the whole show as Kate is so phoney, it makes me cringe. As well, I think it's best if the twins do not appear on the show. Mady still comes across as completely unlikeable and surely that's not good for her self esteem.

• Love 3

HA! The moment I heard and saw that drum I thought "Kate must loathe that thing" 

I'm actually surprised she let them choose whatever they wanted.  I wonder if she purchased the instruments or is renting them.  I'm thinking renting since purchasing them would be one very very expensive bill. 

After the incident with returning the dog(s), I don't trust anything that Kate 'allows' the children to have. I will wait and see before I say, 'Wow, she really let them keep that.'

I don't think we know nearly enough to make a mental illness diagnosis on Mady.  The young teenagers I've seen diagnosed as bipolar, were completely out of control and off the chain prior to diagnosis.  

I had to laugh when I read this. From what I remember from my own childhood (with 5 siblings) I think ALL teenagers can be viewed as bipolar. There's enough extreme emotions and raging hormones to give off that impression.

Edited by Chalby

Not sure why that is.  My parents (of 6 out of school kids) always did that.  They had one big activity gift every year and then smaller board game type things.  We also all dressed and went to midnight Mass.  So not sure why the staging of gift opening would somehow diminish the meaning.  

I know I raised my kids with the Danish version of an advent calendar. It's a large cloth calendar and you sew little gifts to each day in December, saving the most important gift for Christmas Day. Different customs for different people - it does not take away from the birth of Christ.

• Love 3

Gunderda - well I'm here with ya.  I can't believe that someone supporting 8 kids on their own manages to look that good.  

Don't forget that the almighty dollar goes a long way in making us all look good, if we want.

Except for Aiden's glasses, I have a harder time telling the boys apart.

To me, Colin and Joel look quite different.  Similar to Hannah, Colin looks like he has a "lazy eye" (hate that term, but can't think of a better one at the moment).  Colin seems a lot more serious than Joel - he's the one they were convinced would be a engineer since he was a toddler, because he likes things exactly how he thinks they should be (a little anal).  I think Colin is also the biggest boy.

Forgot to mention her other martyrdom gem- when Kate was all "woe as me! these kids are so ungrateful!" she went on about how she should have taken the money and fixed up a nice space for herself

Kate seems to forget that the children are the ones who have earned the money, not her. She has done nothing but spend their money on expensive plastic surgery and nail/hair maintenance. Sheesh, talk about ingratitude.

• Love 3

I would be concerned with having the children so far away from their mother. If one of the boys was sick at night, or they were overcome by fumes from the furnace, or even one needed a hug from Mom, it's quite a long walk for them, and the same for the little girls. It doesn't seem practical or safe.

Does she have a nanny or other help in the house? Or at the very least, an intercom system?

• Love 2

I am so sick of the I'm a put upon single mother routine. Whose fault is it that she's a single Mom? She acts like its not her choice. IMO, stop saying everything is SO HARD! She's the one who wanted HOM and wanted the divorce. It's the bed you made, now lie in it.

The poor kids get nothing but ordered around, barked at and humilated. No wonder the kids start crying and stomping their feet when they want something

I have to remember, this is all scripted television. For all I know once the episode aired the kids went right back to their old rooms. 

To the poster above who just got the Hoffman book^^   It's not an easy book to read. I had to keep putting it down, she was that despicable. It will probably answer a lot of questions for you. Good luck with it. This is one unhappy woman.

• Love 9

While I'm certainly no fan of Kate, I really haven't disliked her in these last episodes like many other people have. The kids are whining and Maddie is impossible, and I do think Kate plays up her Poor Me routine for the cameras. But Kate is basically a solo parent, whose ex-husband cheated on her and ran off to be a DJ, leaving her completely financially responsible for 8 kids. She's no parent of the year, but she doesn't strike me as a demon seed either.

Giving 8 kids free reign with wet paint inside your house is stupid, by the way. Totally asking for a mess. I understand needing to separate the two oldest girls though. My sister and I had issues at that age too.

• Love 9

"Yeah, we're the boys!" Cracked me up. And then, "It was nice spending time with you Aiden," melted my cold heart. Aiden is so cute. He looks like a real life Arthur Read. I can't tell Collin and Joel apart now that Collin has grown into that massive water head he used to have.

• Love 1

Kate doesn't bother me.  I really have to commend her organizational skills.  With 1 parent and 8 kids, if she wasn't organized, things would get missed (Homework, permission slips, activities etc.).

As far as the kids being further away from her in the house.  The tups are 10 years old!  Far past the age of crying to mommy in the middle of the night.  As far being overcome with fumes?  It wouldn't matter if they were in the room next door to Kate, how would she know?  Nah, I think a little bit of space is good.

It's just my opinion, but I don't see where she humiliates her kids.  We all see things differently.

I think those kids are damn lucky to have the life they do.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 11

The kids have never been close to Kate in that house any way.  Her room is on the main floor.  They had the same arrangment in Elizabethton with the master on the main floor and the kids upstairs.

I didn't watch the episode; she really said that? Honestly, a rule like that makes me wonder about Kate's childhood. It wouldn't occur to me to ban siblings from each other's room based on gender.

She said that the boys couldn't be in the girls room or vice versa without her permission, not that they couldn't be in there at all. It may be because she doesn't want anyone going into a sibling's room and causing trouble/chaos. Edited by OnceSane
removed Jon talk
  • Love 2

She said that the boys couldn't be in the girls room or vice versa without her permission, not that they couldn't be in there at all. It may be because she doesn't want anyone going into a sibling's room and causing trouble/chaos.

That's what I heard it as well.  I bet none of the younger kids are allowed in the twins rooms either.  That many people in one house and everyone needs to respect the spaces.  And with kids you don't want to start letting them lock their door.

• Love 2

She said that the boys couldn't be in the girls room or vice versa without her permission, not that they couldn't be in there at all. It may be because she doesn't want anyone going into a sibling's room and causing trouble/chaos.

I understand the theory behind this, but why Kate's permission? Such control. How about permission from the sibling(s)??

• Love 2

I understand the theory behind this, but why Kate's permission? Such control. How about permission from the sibling(s)??

Because Kate is their mother and she knows them best? Some kids don't respect the property of their siblings and/or don't understand the concept of giving a sibling space. Until the kids are more mature, I think it's fair for Kate to dictate who can go where. I don't like Kate, but I don't see the issue with that rule. I was a pretty well-behaved kid, but I loved going into my brother's room to bother him. He would tell me to leave and I wouldn't. We'd argue and drive my mother crazy. He would do the same to me and come into my space. With 8 kids, I can see how that can easily become an issue and result in conflict. Better to have the rule than rely on kids to figure it out.

• Love 5

Because if the kids start giving each other permission to be in the rooms then it becomes a "MOOOMMMMMM Joel let Leah in his room but he's not letting mmeeeeeeeeeee" Or one of the girls lets one boy in their room but the other girls don't want him in their room.....

Yea it's just easier if Kate makes the decision.

• Love 5

I noticed they removed almost the entire "paint-gate" scene in the enhanced version they replayed of last weeks episode. How  interesting? They replaced some bad stuff with the fire pit scene where they lit the pumpkins and made smores.  Much more positive and family friendly!

• Love 1

I noticed they removed almost the entire "paint-gate" scene in the enhanced version they replayed of last weeks episode. How interesting? They replaced some bad stuff with the fire pit scene where they lit the pumpkins and made smores. Much more positive and family friendly!

totally caught that fix Edited by sorrynotsorry
  • Love 1

Being a pack animal, and given the choice, I'm sure the dog would rather be in the house with the family, than have a birthday cake.  That shot of Kate closing the door with the dog outside just made me really sad.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 9

Stay on topic, please. This is the Season 3 Episodes thread. It is not the Jon thread, the Past Seasons thread, or the Jon and Kate Plus 8 forum. I edited/deleted a half dozen posts today alone. Further off-topic discussion will be deleted as well.

Which room does the Bodyguard get? 

I am so sick of the I'm a put upon single mother routine. Whose fault is it that she's a single Mom? She acts like its not her choice. IMO, stop saying everything is SO HARD! She's the one who wanted HOM and wanted the divorce. It's the bed you made, now lie in it.

The poor kids get nothing but ordered around, barked at and humilated. No wonder the kids start crying and stomping their feet when they want something.

They need a tally bar and a *cha-ching* sound for every time Kate says "Single Mom." 

I swore I wouldn't watch this, but I saw the pumpkin episode. Those are some surly teenagers who look ready to kill Kate at any moment. She deserves it, though. I like that they don't let her Mommy Dearest them to death, while at the same time I want to push that hair out of their faces and tell them to enjoy all these perks they're getting through this show.

The biggest shocker to me was how the neatest neat freak and germaphobe of the century lets that nasty bird sit on her shoulder while she preps food. I guess she has no fear of bird poop, feathers, salmonella or whatever bird diseases those things can spread. 

• Love 6

Forgot to mention her other martyrdom gem- when Kate was all "woe as me! these kids are so ungrateful!" she went on about how she should have taken the money and fixed up a nice space for herself (with the unspoken but implied "look how I think of others first and sacrifice").  Blah.

I wonder if there's any TLC trust fund account for the kids left or was it all eaten up in the house and divorce? 

When she started crowing about how the kids were going to appreciate her once they had kids, I remember how completely ungrateful she is to her own parents. Having children certainly didn't fix that. Wonder how she'll feel if the kids end up treating her the same way she has treated her family.

• Love 7

I'm only ten minutes into this episode but I'm going to give props to Mady for making me laugh:

"Come and get your popcorn..." I thought that was very cute, and very unlike her. However, now that I think about it, she was basically (I think) making fun of her mom, so I guess it was very 'Mady.'

• Love 3

But Kate is basically a solo parent, whose ex-husband cheated on her and ran off to be a DJ, leaving her completely financially responsible for 8 kids. She's no parent of the year,...

That's what's so annoying - she's isn't a solo parent - they have joint custody (her house is the primary residence). The kids are financial responsible for themselves and their parents, as they always have been. As well, I believe Kate and Jon mutually disrespected each other (with infidelities, etc.).

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 3

.  Maybe things would improve between them if he were in a stable relationship.

I am a firm believer that when both parents of a divorced union do not criticize or judge each other in front of the children, the children benefit by enjoying a healthy relationship with each parent. I remember back when the children hung all over Jon and would tell him how much they loved him, etc. I am convinced that Jon and Kate poisoned their relationships.Kate is very competitive and it's important to her to be fhe winning parent.

• Love 5