Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Plus 8 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Bible believers do not all agree about the animals and souls.  It's usually impossible to make blanket statements like that about Christians.  Kate was brought up in a fundamentalist leaning church where that was likely taught thought.

Yes I knew I was trending into an area that was very personal AND subjective.  I didn't want to assume just fundamentalist because I do know Catholics as well that have very firm belief in a soul and that an animal is not capable of the attributes.  I also know vegans that simply believe animals may not have a soul be still should not be killed for food.  So lots of YMMV in this one.  

Cara and Maddy remind me of a show I watched the other day called 'Killer Kids'. It was a true story of twin girls who grew up hating their mother and stabbed her to death when they were both 16.

I think Khate imposed the age 18 driving rule because she's a control freak.

See, this is why I never had kids-I don't trust those little monsters!

But seriously, IMO she's getting it right back how she treated Jon in front of them.

• Love 5

Oh my god I just turned this off after about eight minutes. What a bunch of whiney little bitches. This includes all three girls, Kate and Mady. I hope I don't go back and watch later.

Will power. Will power! I can do it!!!

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 5

If this is the best they could do in front of the cameras imagine the misery off camera. Sad to have so much and not count you blessings.

Not to body shame but Kate looks like she is starving. I'd be a grouch too if everyone else had chicken fingers and onion rings and I only got salad.

• Love 2

I have really made an effort in the last 6 months to just avoid watching any media associated with this family because any attention (positive or negative) just encourages additional media stories, shows, etc.
That said, I was flipping channels and caught the last 2 minutes of tonight's show. 
All I can say is it was 2 minutes too much.

The whining, sniping, and talking over each other was flat out annoying.  Kate was probably the worst because she was acting like a bullying babysitter and not a parent.  

If that's their role model, these kids are so completely screwed.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Did she really look at the camera and say "you have to feel bad for me" at this point?!

This woman is a piece of work. You had those kids and you created those monsters, I don't feel a bit bad for her. Maybe if she had treated them like human beings all of these years and not as a way for her to make money things would be better for her now.

The poor boys are so well behaved and they get the most shit. Talking about how boys smell nasty pissed me off. I think those boys have been beaten into submission. She'll never see them again once they turn 18.

I think the difference between Kate having the kids on TV as opposed to the Housewives shows, Alaska: The Last Frontier etc. is that those shows don't revolve around the kids. In this show, without the kids there would have been no show.

I'm also pretty sure that the kids on the other shows never had television lighting or cameras installed in their bedrooms.

There's no comparing this show to kids on the other shows mentioned above in my opinion.

Let's give 8 kids paint and then freak the hell out when they get some on the floor. What an idiot.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 14

I know how messed up this is but when Kate was letting all of the kids paint on the walls, I really, REALLY wanted one of them to paint, in big block letters: FUCK U, BITCH! and then watch Kate lose her mind trying to figure out who wrote it. Okay, I'll go to the timeout chair now...

Edited by farmgal4
  • Love 20

Can I please have those 3 sweet, adorable boys???

I totally agree, with you. They are well behaved, mature and I feel bad for them. It didn't help that Kate humiliated them on national television calling them nasty and saying they stink. What a big jerk! The girls on the other hand, holy shit they are rude and snotty little assholes as displayed in tonight's episode. The talking back, eye rolling, snobbiness, sassy head movements jesus christ. Especially, Hannah, Leah, and Maddy, those three whiny brats.

• Love 7

The girl 'tups were HORRIBLE about the new rooms. And Hannah, the chosen one, is an angel faced assassin. She KNOWS that she's the favorite and she smiles sweetly while she plunges the knife in a sibling's back. Mady was crying and it was because her sisters were making such a fuss about her and Cara getting their own rooms. Normally, I don't have sympathy for Mady, but I did then, No one likes change, but they were getting a LARGER ROOM.  Tell them to suck it up and shut up. 

And I LOVE that the boys got the coolest new room. SNAP!!

• Love 6

If Kate thinks 3 10 yo boys are stinky, wait until they hit puberty! I have 2 nephews, 12 & 10, and they've been using deodorant for a few years now.  If Kate's kids play any sports, there's going to be a whole lot of stink in her future.  I remember having to sit in the back of a station wagon with my 2 brothers' hockey equipment and their sweaty bodies.  URP!  I would beg to sit next to the window and stick my head out in 20 degree temps just to clear my senses.

Kate is a bigger idiot than I ever thought her to be if she thought 8 kids would not get a drop of paint on the floor.  Her freak out inspection of the kids' feet brought me back to that time she shrieked at the kids having been given GUM.  She was in DEFCON 2 territory on that one.  And what's with her planning these "fun" (read: camera ready) activities so close to bed time/dinner?  During the painting party she yelled that it was getting late, hurry up, it's bedtime etc.  Then for the pumpkin smashing "game" she kept squawking how it was getting dark, hurry!!  If she is such a Organization Guru, why wouldn't she plan those activities when the kids have the time to really enjoy them?  Because the activities are for her viewing public to see how 'fun' & 'spontaneous' SHE is, and NOT for the kids enjoyment.

All those girls are complete personality clones of Kate.  The whining, the bad temper, the snarky sarcasm are all learned behaviors. Still not sure how the boys manage to stay so even keeled.  Maybe its a survival instinct?  Lay low and let the cannon fodder fly over?  How does she watch these episodes filled with asides bitching in front of the children about 'what she has to put up with' and not see that her comments affect the kids?  I'm also sick of her complaining that she is all alone in the raising of the 8 kids.  Sure, maybe Jon can't provide financially like you want him to, but he does see the kids and has a part in parenting.  As for having help from friends or family, well that's on Kate for destroying any and all of those relationships.  She has cut herself and her kids off from her side of the family.

Loved how several of the girls got so excited about the idea of escaping Witch Mountain as soon as they were old enough.  That's the best advice I could think of for those children.  RUN fast & long distance.

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 3

Gah, I don't know if I can continue to watch this. Kate is stressing ME out, and I don't even have to live with her. She is so frustrating, because she will come up with these great ideas, things that can be really fun for the kids and bonding time for the whole family (like pumpkin chucking or graffiti on their old walls), but then as soon as things don't go exactly according to her plan, she flips out. 

Newsflash - you have EIGHT kids! I don't care how well you plan, things are generally going to go off track at some point. It's all about how you handle it. For instance - yes, Maddie tracked paint across the floor and she should be old enough to know better. But I thought Kate really overreacted to that one. She could have said something like, "Maddie, I know this is a lot of fun and it's easy to forget, but you really have to check your feet before you leave the room. I will get you some paper towels and cleaner and then you can clean this up". You let her know it's not a big deal, but make her take responsibility for fixing it, so hopefully she learns something. But no, instead you throw yourself on the floor, with your paper towels and martyrdom, as if you're some modern day Cinderella. And you bitch and moan and make the kid feel like complete shit. 

You know, you'd think after watching herself on TV all these years she would realize just how biting, rigid, and unforgiving she sounds. Hey, Kate, we're all human. Sorry that no one can live up to your insane standards. But damn.....maybe if you didn't give a flying fuck if the bath mat was placed horizontal or vertical on the side of the tub you wouldn't have a case of fucking stress shingles. Just saying. I get that taking care of 8 kids every day isn't going to be easy for anyone, but half of that stress is self created. 

Like with the kids' rooms. At some point, you're going to have to let that go and let them decide to take care of them or not. They won't learn to be truly responsible people by you breathing down their necks about dirty socks on the floor. They have to actually WANT to do it. So just shut the door and don't look at it. If their stuff gets lost or destroyed, it's on them. Don't replace it. But let them figure it out and learn. Oh, and I HATE that "Don't tell me it's not yours or I'll make you my maid" BS. How is that fair, by any stretch of the imagination? Why should the kids have to pick up after each other? And then be punished for another kid being messy? Her rules just make no sense to me. 

I swear, Kate just did this show so she could show the world what a martyr she is. Feel bad for me. My life is so hard....in my 5000 square foot home on acres of land, that I periodically leave to travel the country. Boo fucking hoo. She reminds me of Olivia Soprano. She does everything for everyone and no one appreciates it. Yea, maybe because you won't shut the fuck up for five minutes about it and GIVE someone time to appreciate you. Humility, Kate. Learn some. 

Anyhow, loved the boys' new room and I continue to love them. They seem like such sweethearts. I'm not even sure how it's possible, but I hope they stay that way. 

• Love 10
The poor boys are so well behaved and they get the most shit. Talking about how boys smell nasty pissed me off.

Oh my gosh, I forgot about that. Yes! She made me so angry in that scene. Yes, boys smell. I have 2, and the bathroom is often a nightmare. And they haven't even hit puberty yet. But you don't shame them about it. The looks on the boys' faces - ugh! I wanted to come through the TV and hug them. If they need deodorant or to shower more, or something....talk to them about it nicely and privately. Damn. 

• Love 4

That episode was a lot to handle.... WOW.   It can't be normal for kids of either of those ages to just break down in a crying tantrum can it? 

Nice to see that Cara actually has a voice, especially when telling Kate that she makes everything so stressful so nothing is ever fun - but Kate probably didn't hear her say that.  But we were shown that Kate did calm down and they were out there while it got dark.  I wonder why she gets so hyper active at the beginning of every activity. 

But as much as people seem to think her kids hate her, it was interesting that the reason the girls didn't want to go to a new room is because they would be farther away from Kate. Until they realized that they could be noisy and not get yelled at in their rooms anymore lol

Did we learn years ago that Kate is pretty OCD about cleanliness?? So her many outbursts about those types of situations didn't surprise me. They were indeed extreme but I'm sure the kids are used to it.

AND I also realized last night that my work/office situation is so similar to this household.  We don't yell and screen and cry but my boss is Kate (who does yell and scream) and we get so fed up with it that we end up talking back to her which just makes the situation worse. 

• Love 1

And I'm surprised Kate gave the boys a room in the basement.  The moment they were talking about the winds I thought "those boys are TOTALLY sneaking out of the house at night when they're old enough to realize they can do that"  Although maybe their dogs are kept outside so maybe it won't be that easy for them.

I bet that whole house is going to be happier when Mady leaves for school.  The little girls were dealing fine with the move.  You can hear them say things like, good memories here.  And then Mady started punching buttons and everyone is in tears.  Then she leaves the room and the girls are happily picking out a new blue for their room.  That has to get old for those kids.

Collin hoarding clean underwear is beyond funny.  But that's a large family.  My sister and I hoarded clean bath towels.  Why?  Because the boys left hose stinking towels and all their dirty underwear in their room.  If it's not in the wash it doesn't get washed.  

Anyone know why it isn't just the twins skipping time with Jon?  Alexis and Colin weren't with him either but all the other kids were.

• Love 2
If Kate thinks 3 10 yo boys are stinky, wait until they hit puberty!

Amen. I taught my son how to do his own laundry in middle school, when the puberty monster hit. I told him, "I am NOT touching your socks, underwear  or sheets ever again. Here's how you separate laundry and why." In addition to puberty issues, the funky smell was usually due to sweaty athletic equipment lying around. Ever smell a hockey glove? There's a reason that pros stick their gloves in opponent's faces when they're pissed. The smell is disgusting. 

At least the new room will have that "new construction/fresh wood and paint" smell for awhile. LOVE the window well idea of giving each boy a private place to stash things. Nice that it worked out that there were three windows. I loved their new room. Good for the boys. They have something cool that their more spoiled sisters don't. And yeah, the ability to sneak out later is much improved! 

So, that house is now technically a 6 bedroom home, right? Five occupied bedrooms and a spare bedroom. There's you answer as to why they're on TV again. That house must be an expensive nut. 

• Love 1

I'm sure the property taxes are nothing to laugh about..... 

And it looked like they added a bathroom down in the boys room as well?  

I was a little confused as to why they moved everyone around... why did the boys need to move... why didn't cara or maddy stay in their room and the other move to the "other" girls room and the little girls stay where they were? 

I suppose to maddy or cara didn't want to be in the same wing as the little girls but it's a little odd they wanted to move closer to their mom.

• Love 1

Finally people see John is just as bad as Kate. He gave up on his kids and now is trying to play poor me. There are many regular people jobs out there. Heck even go to tech school or go to a CC and get a degree but nope just like Kate he grew a custom to the tlc lifestyle

Yep. Now he's had a taste of the limelight & all those things are beneath him...He's just like Kate at the end of the day. 

• Love 2

The being "expelled" incident may be old news, but watching the episodes this season, I am not shocked. That home is nothing but negativity, shaming, punishment and ridicule. I believe any violence they express is pent up anger towards Kate. She is one hateful piece of work.

Anyone care to share the backstory on why Kate cut her family off? I also think it's weird she doesn't have any friends to bounce ideas off of---she only has the paid employees of the show.

She is ugly inside and out. I would love it if Jon wrote a tell all about her.

I can't help but feel sorry for Jon. I cannot imagine trying to live any sort of normal life with someone like Kate. She comes off so horrible on the show, I cannot imagine what she is like when there are no witnesses.

Oh, and I just received the book about Kate mentioned here. Can't wait to read it.

• Love 6

So, that house is now technically a 6 bedroom home, right? Five occupied bedrooms and a spare bedroom. There's you answer as to why they're on TV again. That house must be an expensive nut.

The 6th bedroom is the apartment over the garage.  So in the house there are the three rooms that the girls had.  There was one with all the little girls, one with the twins and then that smaller spare room that was for a play room.  Then the boys room and the master.  So they split the twins, I agree that 14 year olds do need some space if you can.  Then the girls went to the boys.  And the boys go downstairs.  So that does still leave that one small room which I'm guessing is the caregivers/guest room.  Because if she's in NYC for the Apprentice then someone is staying at the house.

I think she is trying very hard to keep them in this house as long as she can.  I applaud that.  It's such a difficult time and the more normal you can keep things the better.  I think the boys room is a good addition to the house.  So it enhances the resale.  It probably also enhances the taxes as well.

• Love 2
The being "expelled" incident may be old news, but watching the episodes this season, I am not shocked. That home is nothing but negativity, shaming, punishment and ridicule. I believe any violence they express is pent up anger towards Kate. She is one hateful piece of work.

This is true. But it's just so hard for me to picture. Mady, yes, that girl is constantly in a state of anger. But the little ones....wow, I just cannot picture any of them hitting an adult. It's just so sad to me. I wish she could see what she is doing to them. She has the benefit of seeing/hearing herself on TV and apparently nothing has sank in. She just constantly belittles, berates, and controls those kids to the point where they're going to be little balls of rage. 

• Love 1

Forgot to mention her other martyrdom gem- when Kate was all "woe as me! these kids are so ungrateful!" she went on about how she should have taken the money and fixed up a nice space for herself (with the unspoken but implied "look how I think of others first and sacrifice").  Blah.

I wonder if there's any TLC trust fund account for the kids left or was it all eaten up in the house and divorce? 

• Love 3

Collin and Alexis are the two who were expelled from school for a year.

Kindergarten !    

Gah, I don't know if I can continue to watch this. Kate is stressing ME out, and I don't even have to live with her. She is so frustrating, because she will come up with these great ideas, things that can be really fun for the kids and bonding time for the whole family (like pumpkin chucking or graffiti on their old walls), but then as soon as things don't go exactly according to her plan, she flips out. 

Newsflash - you have EIGHT kids! I don't care how well you plan, things are generally going to go off track at some point. It's all about how you handle it. For instance - yes, Maddie tracked paint across the floor and she should be old enough to know better. But I thought Kate really overreacted to that one. She could have said something like, "Maddie, I know this is a lot of fun and it's easy to forget, but you really have to check your feet before you leave the room. I will get you some paper towels and cleaner and then you can clean this up". You let her know it's not a big deal, but make her take responsibility for fixing it, so hopefully she learns something. But no, instead you throw yourself on the floor, with your paper towels and martyrdom, as if you're some modern day Cinderella. And you bitch and moan and make the kid feel like complete shit. 

You know, you'd think after watching herself on TV all these years she would realize just how biting, rigid, and unforgiving she sounds. Hey, Kate, we're all human. Sorry that no one can live up to your insane standards. But damn.....maybe if you didn't give a flying fuck if the bath mat was placed horizontal or vertical on the side of the tub you wouldn't have a case of fucking stress shingles. Just saying. I get that taking care of 8 kids every day isn't going to be easy for anyone, but half of that stress is self created. 

Like with the kids' rooms. At some point, you're going to have to let that go and let them decide to take care of them or not. They won't learn to be truly responsible people by you breathing down their necks about dirty socks on the floor. They have to actually WANT to do it. So just shut the door and don't look at it. If their stuff gets lost or destroyed, it's on them. Don't replace it. But let them figure it out and learn. Oh, and I HATE that "Don't tell me it's not yours or I'll make you my maid" BS. How is that fair, by any stretch of the imagination? Why should the kids have to pick up after each other? And then be punished for another kid being messy? Her rules just make no sense to me. 

I swear, Kate just did this show so she could show the world what a martyr she is. Feel bad for me. My life is so hard....in my 5000 square foot home on acres of land, that I periodically leave to travel the country. Boo fucking hoo. She reminds me of Olivia Soprano. She does everything for everyone and no one appreciates it. Yea, maybe because you won't shut the fuck up for five minutes about it and GIVE someone time to appreciate you. Humility, Kate. Learn some. 

Anyhow, loved the boys' new room and I continue to love them. They seem like such sweethearts. I'm not even sure how it's possible, but I hope they stay that way. 

LOL about Olivia Soprano !  '' I gave my life to my children on a silva platta"

The 6th bedroom is the apartment over the garage.  So in the house there are the three rooms that the girls had.  There was one with all the little girls, one with the twins and then that smaller spare room that was for a play room.  Then the boys room and the master.  So they split the twins, I agree that 14 year olds do need some space if you can.  Then the girls went to the boys.  And the boys go downstairs.  So that does still leave that one small room which I'm guessing is the caregivers/guest room.  Because if she's in NYC for the Apprentice then someone is staying at the house.

I think she is trying very hard to keep them in this house as long as she can.  I applaud that.  It's such a difficult time and the more normal you can keep things the better.  I think the boys room is a good addition to the house.  So it enhances the resale.  It probably also enhances the taxes as well.

I remember specifically when they moved in, Hannah was given her own room. Kate said it was because she often had headaches.

Forgot to mention her other martyrdom gem- when Kate was all "woe as me! these kids are so ungrateful!" she went on about how she should have taken the money and fixed up a nice space for herself (with the unspoken but implied "look how I think of others first and sacrifice").  Blah.

I wonder if there's any TLC trust fund account for the kids left or was it all eaten up in the house and divorce? 

I think TLC supports Kate and her children on some sort of allowance.  I think the reason behind it is if anything happened (murder, abuse, suicide) the network would take a huge hit.     How else could Kate keep the huge house and support her kids?

I know some people change after marriage and kids... but I find it hard to believe that Kate was not even an ounce of this type of person before they got married and before they had kids.  So Jon had to know the type of person he was getting into a serious relationship with.

She was totally flirting with that carpenter doing the boys room. I felt kinda bad cause he didn't seem into it. Lol

Those girls are out of control. They say such mean stuff to their mother and it's almost like she likes it cause she can then say woe is me. But she's obviously a good mother because the boys are well behaved and they all listen to her. I admit I yell too much, and it's something I work on. So I can't hold that against her too much. But I'd be ashamed if my kids talked to me like that on tv!

Kate certainly thinks she is all that and a bag of chips. The workers seemed to be trying very hard to let her shameless flirting fly over their heads.

I can't remember ever seeing a less loving mother in my circle of friends/ acquaintances . She treats all the kids as if she was a babysitter who hated her job and she is downright psychologically damaging to the boys. All the "poor me I'm so outnumbered and overwhelmed". Every day in this country there are thousands of teachers who handle more than 8 kids at a time, thank goodness they are up to the job.  

• Love 12

Someone upthread wondered why only half of the kids were with Jon.  I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes they break up the visits so that they can have more individual time with him.  I only had 3 kids; sometimes they all went to their dad's house at the same time, but not always.

IIRC, the room that used to be for the twins, and is now the tup girls' room, is up a different staircase off the kitchen area (probably originally a "maid's room").  So to get to mom, they would need to go down one set of stairs, through the house, and up another set of stairs.  I can see why they weren't happy about being so isolated.  Now Kate is not going to be near any of her youngest children at night.

I am HORRIFIED by Kate and her children. Sickened, saddened and shocked up a few words that quickly come to my mind!  God Bless Mady. Anyone with a bit of sense can see that girl has never been happy. She is truly miserable. If anyone one been around a person suffering from bi polar disorder, Mady is easily diagnosed, yet sadly untreated. I feel for this girl. She can not control her tears, her temper, her manic giggling. The fact that TLC and Jon and Kate continue to exploit this child, all the children is unconscionable!

The rest of the kids are some of the most disrespectful kids I have seen.

• Love 6

But she's obviously a good mother because the boys are well behaved and they all listen to her.

You'd be well behaved too if the punishment for stepping out of line is being beat to within an inch of your life.

• Love 3

She's so full of it. I would have called her bluff, told her - "Go ahead then, bitch! Make your own special space! Then maybe you will stay in there all the time and stop driving us batshit crazy". 

LOL about Olivia Soprano !  '' I gave my life to my children on a silva platta"

I would not even be remotely surprised if Kate said something like that in the future. Or if any of the kids start having panic attacks ala Tony Soprano. 

She was totally flirting with that carpenter doing the boys room. I felt kinda bad cause he didn't seem into it. Lol

What was all that mess about her offering hugs and kisses to the workers? I couldn't quite understand, because she seemed so awkward and was talking very fast, but wow. She's not an unattractive woman, but her flirting skills are very clunky. 

• Love 3

Oh my god I just turned this off after about eight minutes. What a bunch of whiney little bitches. This includes all three girls, Kate and Mady. I hope I don't go back and watch later.

Will power. Will power! I can do it!!!

It is with great sadness that I come to tell you I gave in and watched. However, in my defense I was laid off a few months ago and am VERY bored and have a lot of free time on my hands. I would like to think if I was happily employed (or even unhappily employed) this never would have happened :).

Anyway, my question to those of you who can tell the kids apart: what should I be looking for? I know Cara, Mady and Aaden (sp) only. Certain features? Their terrible behavior? I also know Collin when he's sitting (cross legged :) on the couch. But I can't tell any of the others apart.

Thanks for any tips!!

• Love 2

Anyone care to share the backstory on why Kate cut her family off? I also think it's weird she doesn't have any friends to bounce ideas off of---she only has the paid employees of the show.

She is ugly inside and out. I would love it if Jon wrote a tell all about her.

I can't help but feel sorry for Jon. I cannot imagine trying to live any sort of normal life with someone like Kate. She comes off so horrible on the show, I cannot imagine what she is like when there are no witnesses.

Oh, and I just received the book about Kate mentioned here. Can't wait to read it.

The book kind of sheds some light about Kate's family, but not much. Her father was a Reverend or Minister and they lived in a campground or trailer park. Her father was the disciplinarian and was extremely strict. Kate resents him for this. Her mother was kind of a non-factor, very passive and constantly deferring to Kate's father. She doesn't interact with her siblings other than a few emails here and there, especially her brother Kevin. She hates him ever since he and his wife Jodi asked to be compensated for appearing on the show.

I get the feeling that Kate felt largely ignored by her mother and hated by her father. I also have the impression that she didn't grow up with a lot of money, thus the chasing after doctors and gold digging behavior.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 2

Leah and Alexis look the same to me, except when they are standing....Leah is the smaller (shorter) one.  Collin has the bigger head, but you said you already know who he is when sitting, lol on leg crossing. That only leaves Hannah and Joel. Hannah is the one with the eyes like Kate, one slightly "wonky"??? Joel is a cutie. He's the only one left!  There are your tips.

I think the remodel went very well.  Kate handled it and the chaos a lot better than I would.  I know the kids complained a lot at first, but when it was all done, they seemed to love it and be appreciative.  I just don't see all this misery and hatred for one another and their mother that others see.  Would it be better for them to be living in a tent with Jon?  Or wherever he's living now since he's unemployed again. 

I don't think I'd label Mady as bipolar.  She's always had a bit of a difficult temperament, but Kate seems to know how to navigate with her to try to keep her on an even keel.  There's always one child in every family who's harder to deal with than the others.

• Love 4

She doesn't interact with her siblings other than a few emails here and there, especially her brother Kevin. She hates him ever since he and his wife Jodi asked to be compensated for appearing on the show.

They were compensated for their appearances but they were compensated with an appearance fee.  Kate and Jon were producers and said no to Jodi being contracted with the show.  Kate stated that no one outside the family would be under contract making money.  Jodi's sister spelled it out in great detail in her purse blog.  So they went after Kate but people were horrified and sided with Kate since children shouldn't work.  Then Jodi's sister took down the original blog and the started hate site.  It is pretty interesting.  I do think the original blog complaining about Kate not letting Jodi have a contract is still floating around.  

Kate didn't live in a trailer or campground.  They had a regular house on a large property.  Her father set up a spot for summer camping by religious groups on a portion of the property.  TLC approached Jodi to offer payment in addition to the money paid for the use of her and Kevin's house.  Her father seems to be a rather odd person who does seem to be controlling.  Although if Kate resented his controlling ways, she has still ended up copying him.

• Love 3

They were compensated for their appearances but they were compensated with an appearance fee. Kate and Jon were producers and said no to Jodi being contracted with the show. Kate stated that no one outside the family would be under contract making money. Jodi's sister spelled it out in great detail in her purse blog. So they went after Kate but people were horrified and sided with Kate since children shouldn't work. Then Jodi's sister took down the original blog and the started hate site. It is pretty interesting. I do think the original blog complaining about Kate not letting Jodi have a contract is still floating around.

Thank you, I couldn't remember the exact details. I knew it had to do with money and appearing on the show.

I think the remodel went very well. Kate handled it and the chaos a lot better than I would. I know the kids complained a lot at first, but when it was all done, they seemed to love it and be appreciative. I just don't see all this misery and hatred for one another and their mother that others see. Would it be better for them to be living in a tent with Jon? Or wherever he's living now since he's unemployed again.

I don't think I'd label Mady as bipolar. She's always had a bit of a difficult temperament, but Kate seems to know how to navigate with her to try to keep her on an even keel. There's always one child in every family who's harder to deal with than the others.

I feel like I watched a different show than you. All Maddie does is cry and complain. Literally. And Kate just sighs and says "teenagers" and threatens to remove phones. OR she just stands there and looks miserable. How is that handeling it well and on what planet, in the show at least, does that child come across as even keeled?

• Love 5

I don't think things are as bad with Jon as she lets on. One of the little boys even demonstrated with his hands how much higher spending time with daddy was over shopping for dressers. Maybe she can provide the financial for the kids and he can provide the fun and more laid back atmosphere that they so desperately need. Its almost too bad they didn't get along better. She could travel and be on as many tv shows as would have her and he could chill at herr house with the kids eating pb & j and watching tv.

Edited by MarysWetBar

I think the remodel went very well.  Kate handled it and the chaos a lot better than I would.  I know the kids complained a lot at first, but when it was all done, they seemed to love it and be appreciative.  I just don't see all this misery and hatred for one another and their mother that others see.  Would it be better for them to be living in a tent with Jon?  Or wherever he's living now since he's unemployed again. 

I don't think I'd label Mady as bipolar.  She's always had a bit of a difficult temperament, but Kate seems to know how to navigate with her to try to keep her on an even keel.  There's always one child in every family who's harder to deal with than the others.

I agree on the remodel.  The kids had fun painting (until paint-gate), doing the pumpkins, and even the high strung little girls were pretty chill when they were all lying on their beds and showing their instruments.

I don't think we know nearly enough to make a mental illness diagnosis on Mady.  The young teenagers I've seen diagnosed as bipolar, were completely out of control and off the chain prior to diagnosis.  Mady's always been the most difficult, because she's also the most sensitive.  For someone as abrasive as Mady is, she's also extremely thin skinned.  I remember how gentle she would be with her little cousins, and the way she would come running off the bus when Jon was there to greet her - she would be so happy to see him and throw herself into his arms.  I think the divorce may have hit her the hardest, and she handled Jon not being around the worst.  Cara seems much easier, but she's also blessed with a laid back personality.

• Love 2

I feel like I watched a different show than you. All Maddie does is cry and complain. Literally. And Kate just sighs and says "teenagers" and threatens to remove phones. OR she just stands there and looks miserable. How is that handeling it well and on what planet, in the show at least, does that child come across as even keeled?

I know what you're saying. In one of the very first scenes, maybe THE first scene, Mady had just had a crying meltdown because she didn't want to change rooms. I know kids get away with a lot more bad behavior nowadays, but if I had acted like that at her age, my dad would have dragged my ass to the woodshed for a good old-fashioned ass whippin', and I'm being serious. She acts like a spoiled brat and that's NOT okay at her age IMO.