Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Plus 8 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/28/2020 at 9:24 AM, Adiba said:

I still don't know how this worked--not an attorney here--but I read that child support is something that the parent owes the child and the other parent cannot waive unless there is another parent to adopt (such as a step-parent).

TECHNICALLY you are right.    BUT, if the parents can convince a judge it is in the best interest of the children that no child support be paid it happens.   Some reasons -- the non-custodial parent then wouldn't be able to feed the kids at that parent's house during visitation, the NCP is taking on some other expense, the NCP is unable to work and sticking him with unpaid child support which can lead to a suspension of license won't help that.   All kinds of reasons.    Attorneys can very creatively come up with a best interest of the child reason if the parties agree there is no child support.   The agreement wouldn't say "There is no child support in exchange for no visitation."   that would NEVER fly.   But they worded the child support section in such a way it would fly and there just happened to be no visitation.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kellyee said:

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/kate-gosselins-house-for-sale-amid-money-issues-report/

I wonder if Kate could find a nursing job at this point, given that everyone knows who she is and the drama that surrounds her. That's the problem that Jon had when he left the show and they got divorced.

She would have to get her nursing license reinstated and in order to do that, she would have to go through several classes to get her up-to-date.  It would take her at least a year to prepare for reinstatement.  I wouldn’t want her to be MY nurse, I can tell you that!

• Love 9

I looked it up and her nursing license expires next year. 

She's also being sued by an ex employee for $55,000, It's in this article: 

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/1626826/kate-gosselin-selling-million-mansion-lose-money-financial-struggles/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunusentertainmentfacebook&utm_source=Facebook

There was a blind item that mentioned she was running out of money. Some people don't like blind items, but many of them are true.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

I looked it up and her nursing license expires next year. 

She's also being sued by an ex employee for $55,000, It's in this article: 

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/1626826/kate-gosselin-selling-million-mansion-lose-money-financial-struggles/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunusentertainmentfacebook&utm_source=Facebook

There was a blind item that mentioned she was running out of money. Some people don't like blind items, but many of them are true.

Karma has finally paid Khate a visit, which I’m glad of, but I hate it for those kids.  Their home life must be worse than miserable right now.

• Love 6

If it’s true that her house is up for sale, I wonder why the low price?  I thought it was a seller’s market right now?

The house comes with a lot of acreage, and unless there are restrictions on it, possibly can be subdivided in the future.

If it’s true that her house is up for sale, I wonder why the low price?  I thought it was a seller’s market right now?

The house comes with a lot of acreage, and unless there are restrictions on it, possibly can be subdivided in the future.

Berks County PA is nice, but the market for a huge house in that price range is going to be small. This isn't Los Angeles we're talking about, with millionaires wandering everywhere. And Berks County isn't all that close to Philadelphia, where everyone is working. It's a really nice area, but she's going to have a hard time finding a buyer for that massive mansion they built. As someone noted above, the taxes are high. And there has to be a ton of maintenance involved with that property. Didn't she even install solar panels at one point? I thought I remembered an episode where they were installing the solar panels, and Kate was making a much bigger deal of it than it was. Like she does with everything. 

• Love 4

They did have solar panels installed. From what I recall, they were installed for free.

How did they convince so many people to give them so much free shit just for breeding?? Kate got plastic surgery free, the sextuplets got college scholarships. I think they got a bunch of other things free as well. It's ridiculous.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

How did they convince so many people to give them so much free shit just for breeding?? Kate got plastic surgery free, the sextuplets got college scholarships. I think they got a bunch of other things free as well. It's ridiculous.

By having a tv show. They really raked it in thanks to TLC.

• Love 4

There were freebies, but I think the college scholarships were if they went to state schools in Pennsylvania.     

National publicity can lead to a lot of business, so I can see why sponsors signed up.     

The plastic surgeon and his family were buddies with Kate for quite a while after her free tummy tuck, but that stopped after the divorce.   I think Jon was dating the surgeons daughter for a while, so Kate cut them off.  

• Love 2

I suppose she could get lucky and sell high to someone trying to leave the NYC area. I never understood why they didn't initially build a house to suit their needs better; seems like a lot of square footage and maintenance to have still had those kids sharing smallish bedrooms. But then again, she also should've moved years ago, as soon as the big checks stopped rolling in. 

I know I keep saying this, but it's really time she peddle some products or something. She (miraculously) has enough of a following. 

• Love 3
On 10/20/2020 at 8:01 PM, BarbieMermaidia said:

I suppose she could get lucky and sell high to someone trying to leave the NYC area. I never understood why they didn't initially build a house to suit their needs better; seems like a lot of square footage and maintenance to have still had those kids sharing smallish bedrooms. But then again, she also should've moved years ago, as soon as the big checks stopped rolling in. 

I know I keep saying this, but it's really time she peddle some products or something. She (miraculously) has enough of a following. 

Interesting in the listing is states that there are four "recently remodeled junior suites".   So which of the kids got to sleep in the new junior suites or did it rotate depending on how much you kissed mommy's ass today?

PS I'm being snarky.  I'm aware that maybe she did this after getting rid of Hannah and Collin and the twins to college.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, JenMcSnark said:

Interesting in the listing is states that there are four "recently remodeled junior suites".   So which of the kids got to sleep in the new junior suites or did it rotate depending on how much you kissed mommy's ass today?

PS I'm being snarky.  I'm aware that maybe she did this after getting rid of Hannah and Collin and the twins to college.

The listing also is for 1.3 million and not 875k that the other site quoted. So I guess she is not looking to quickly sell? Why did she recently remodel if she is short on money?

The photos online did not show the upstairs bedrooms so I couldn’t see how big the junior suites are, but Kate’s master was huge.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, JenMcSnark said:

Oh wouldn't surprise me AT ALL though if she wanted to make Hannah or the twins jealous. She's that petty, even if that level of house did need some enhancements to be able to sell.

Any guesses where they're moving to, since the article mentions leaving the state? She's always expressed interest in the Carolinas; now I almost wonder if that was really the purpose of last year's road trip. It's surprising she'd want to pull the remaining four kids out of that fancy school though.

• Love 3

If that article is so wrong about what Kate is selling the house for (I found the listing), I wonder what else in that article is BS.

So, is Steve her "bodyguard" still around? Not too much of a haul to get from MD to her place in PA, but MD to NC is quite a haul. 

I remember years ago there was chatter of her buying a condo in Rockville, MD and a sighting of seeing her at the Whole Foods in Rockville.

• Love 1

On the market for $1.299million, good luck getting that.     Remember there's also an apartment over the garage too, where Jon lived when they moved in while they were still filming, and acting like they were married, and didn't hate each other.     I think the purchase price was about $1.2 mil when they bought it.     Also, from what I've read they put down the bare minimum on houses.   

The one where they lived for most of the filming, they put it on the market for a ridiculously high price, because of the celebrity of the show.    Then they finally took it off the market, and I think relisted it and sold it.    But at that time it came out that they put down the smallest amount possible, and so have almost no equity.   With the cul de sac house, they had to do a ton of repair because of the modifications for filming, with lights, and other equipment, and replacement from the usual wear and tear on the house.      

Even with a full price offer, it will be minus 6% commissions, closing costs, and any credits for defects.    So that will take the price down and carrying costs with mortgage, insurance, and taxes plus maintenance until it sells.   Of course, the actually amount the seller gets depends on the total sales price after commissions, credits, etc. and the amount of equity in the home, so she might get a nice amount of money.   However, it depends on if she refinanced, or how much has been paid on the mortgage over the years.   

Didn't they buy that house from a previous owner?   House was built in 1997.    I think the garage second floor apartment is where Jon lived when they moved in there.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I’m LOL’ing at the fact she’s got a ton of baking sheets, muffin pans, etc. stored in the wall oven. Way to show potential buyers that there isn’t enough storage space in the kitchen. I’d think Hate’s OCD would necessitate a place for everything and everything in its place, as opposed to storing them in an oven like messy housekeepers who shove them there when unexpected company is 10 minutes away 😂

Signed,

A reformed messy housekeeper 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I can't get over the barn and the horse stalls. The hubris of building such a monstrosity blows me away. They really thought the money would keep flowing, that the public was so in love with them that the wealth would never end. I saw Kate's attempts at going solo by cohosting The View for a week and showing up on an entertainment show as a guest correspondent.  I think that was Access Hollywood. It was so obvious that she had/has no media presence in front of the camera. Did people try to tell Kate and she wouldn't listen, or were they too busy kissing her ass? Jon was there when they built the ridiculous house too. He was just smart enough to abandon it later. You knew the kids were going to grow up and the show was going to die out. I'm surprised Kate held on to the house as long as she did. I would have guessed it would have ended up in foreclosure years ago. 

I watched the update where the twins looked at colleges. It was boring and annoying. Teenagers are not as fun to watch as toddlers. TLC dumped Kate because they couldn't use her anymore, not because of Jon.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I can't get over the barn and the horse stalls. The hubris of building such a monstrosity blows me away. They really thought the money would keep flowing, that the public was so in love with them that the wealth would never end. I saw Kate's attempts at going solo by cohosting The View for a week and showing up on an entertainment show as a guest correspondent.  I think that was Access Hollywood. It was so obvious that she had/has no media presence in front of the camera. Did people try to tell Kate and she wouldn't listen, or were they too busy kissing her ass? Jon was there when they built the ridiculous house too. He was just smart enough to abandon it later. You knew the kids were going to grow up and the show was going to die out. I'm surprised Kate held on to the house as long as she did. I would have guessed it would have ended up in foreclosure years ago. 

I watched the update where the twins looked at colleges. It was boring and annoying. Teenagers are not as fun to watch as toddlers. TLC dumped Kate because they couldn't use her anymore, not because of Jon.

they did not custom build the house, it was bought from a local doctor. 

• Love 5
On 10/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, farmgal4 said:

She would have to get her nursing license reinstated and in order to do that, she would have to go through several classes to get her up-to-date.  It would take her at least a year to prepare for reinstatement.  I wouldn’t want her to be MY nurse, I can tell you that!

Her license is current.  She's never let it lapse so there would be no need for it to be reinstated.  At most, she may have to catch up on a few continuing ed classes, but that's about it as far as her license is concerned.  would

Her big problem, should she ever want to pursue nursing again, would be her notoriety.  Personally, I can't imagine anyone hiring her for direct patient care.  Maybe a job behind the scenes somewhere, but where she'd be dealing directly with patients? I don't think so.  Her reputation is going to precede her wherever she goes and she has no one to blame for that but herself.

• Love 6
On 10/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, Kellyee said:

Kate got plastic surgery free, the sextuplets got college scholarships. I think they got a bunch of other things free as well. It's ridiculous.

Kate's plastic surgery was free because the surgeon's wife supposedly felt a connection to her (at least that was the story they gave at the time) and convinced him to help her.  The sextuplets did not get college scholarships.  The state opened accounts for them, but they did not put money into the accounts.  The public could donate but it was never stated if anything was ever donated.  Per Jon and Kate, they put money into accounts for the kids and their educations are paid in full.

• Love 2
On 10/24/2020 at 2:39 PM, HahYallDoin said:

I’d think Hate’s OCD would necessitate a place for everything and everything in its place, as opposed to storing them in an oven like messy housekeepers who shove them there when unexpected company is 10 minutes away 😂

Her OCD was BS for the show just like them being a super religious family.  She's simply a control freak/monster.  And, as soon as the show started to wind down she dropped all mention of Bible verses on everything, there was no more church going, verse emblazoned t-shirt wearing, etc.  Her supposed OCD and the Christian family image was dropped when TLC realized it wasn't working with their image any more.  Viewers became too savvy to what Kate was really like.

• Love 8

At one time, when the show started, Jon, and especially Kate made appearances at churches all over the country, pushing her book, and getting 'love' offerings.    When the drama in the marriage became public, churches no longer wanted either of the couple talking about Christian marriage, or anything else.   I understand the list of demands for her appearance (Jon very rarely went) was extensive, and I heard there was a hefty amount of money guarantees.     

I know that Kate denied it, but I read that they wanted $20k guaranteed, plus all expenses paid.    However, the second their marital situation was disclosed, and other rumors, the church market for lectures dried up.   

My understanding from other articles about the show in the early times, the kids really didn't go on the trips (except for filming), and most of the time Kate went without Jon or the kids.  There was a lot of talk about how religious they were, because they had so many babies at once, and claimed they refused selective reduction of some of them, because of the risk factors of multiples.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

At one time, when the show started, Jon, and especially Kate made appearances at churches all over the country, pushing her book, and getting 'love' offerings.    When the drama in the marriage became public, churches no longer wanted either of the couple talking about Christian marriage, or anything else.   I understand the list of demands for her appearance (Jon very rarely went) was extensive, and I heard there was a hefty amount of money guarantees.       

There was definitely a hefty amount of money raked in that was in their speaking contracts as well as all of the cash they got when the love offerings basket was passed and the pictures were sold for cash.  A LOT of money.  And the majority was of a non-reported variety.  I'm actually surprised they were never in trouble with the IRS because of all of the cash they raked in because I doubt they reported it all (there was some reason they demanded the offerings and picture sales be cash only).

• Love 4

Some people may have begun calling churches and providing info about Kate and her behavior, greed, treatment of her children and Jon, etc. and some appearances may have been cancelled.  There may have been a tax audit or two that Kate definitely did not publicize.

• Love 5
On 11/13/2020 at 5:24 PM, Raynedon said:

Her OCD was BS for the show just like them being a super religious family.  She's simply a control freak/monster.  And, as soon as the show started to wind down she dropped all mention of Bible verses on everything, there was no more church going, verse emblazoned t-shirt wearing, etc.  Her supposed OCD and the Christian family image was dropped when TLC realized it wasn't working with their image any more.  Viewers became too savvy to what Kate was really like.

I don’t remember there being much religion mentioned at all.  Did I sleep through that part?

• Love 1

Off-screen, Kate made the rounds of churches and passed the collection basket for herself. My family member was present at a church in either LS or MS, I don't recall which, and said it reminded her of old timey fraudulent tent revivals. Kate definitely presented herself as a conservative Christian.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I don’t remember there being much religion mentioned at all.  Did I sleep through that part?

There was definitely an episode that focused on them going to speak at a church. The focus was more on getting the kids ready for the trip (I think this was early on, before trips started happening every episode), but they did show both parents speaking on stage at the church. There was also a bit (possibly the same episode but I don't recall for sure) where the family was making lists of goals or something with a religious or at least spiritual focus.

But aside from that, I don't think religion came up much.

There was a Sunday school episode. It is likely the only time they made it to church with 8 kids. 

I watched the latest Dr. Oz interview with Jon. Jon slipped at one point and admitted that the police had been to his house multiple times, enough to know them and the situation. I can't stand Kate, but Jon isn't doing Collin any favors by acting like Kate is Collin's only problem. I definitely think Collin has some serious behavior issues.

• Love 3

In the first season of the show, Jon, Kate and the twins went to California to speak at a church. They talked about how they refused to do selective reduction of some of the embryos when they found out there were six. Outside of the show, I think they did project the religious image and went to speak at churches somewhat regularly. Kate’s father is/was? an assistant pastor so I believe she did grow up in a religious household.

I agree that Jon shouldn’t publicly speak about Colin’s issues. However, he may have felt that because it was already out there, he needed to address it and Kate’s statement. I do give him some credit for at least trying to care for Colin at home, and not just dumping him at an institution/school like Kate did (and not even visiting him or bringing him home for holiday visits).

• Love 6

I agree that Jon shouldn’t publicly speak about Colin’s issues. However, he may have felt that because it was already out there, he needed to address it and Kate’s statement. I do give him some credit for at least trying to care for Colin at home, and not just dumping him at an institution/school like Kate did (and not even visiting him or bringing him home for holiday visits).

I do believe that Jon cares more about really helping Collin than Kate did. I think Kate got either annoyed or overwhelmed and dumped Collin where she wouldn't have to deal with it. But Jon made a big show on Instagram and in the media when he got custody of Collin, saying there was absolutely nothing wrong with Collin beyond some garden-variety ADHD. I don't believe that's true, and I think Jon probably realized that wasn't true pretty soon after he got Collin home full time. Jon and Kate are both using Collin to point fingers at each other, instead of working together to address Collin's issues. Collin is way too old to be lying about his father beating him up (and I do believe it was a lie, because I believe Hannah). He is also old enough to understand the repercussions of putting something like that on social media. And I doubt Hannah or the other kids appreciate Jon going on national television and saying they are at a 12 year old maturity level and need to be re-parented. 

Jon and Kate Plus Eight may be dead, but the shit show continues for everyone to stare at.

• Love 1

I wish they would just move on with their lives and quit pointing fingers at each other and realize that their both old news. Nobody cared about Kate trying to find love on TLC. I'm sure whenever Kate or Jon say something about each other the kids get asked about it. I wouldn't want all my families dirty laundry aired when I was 16 and I'm sure these kids are over it. I'm sure the kids did love getting to go to Disney, Australia, or wherever they went to because of the show. But can they just move on with their lives. I can't wait till one of these kids write a tell all book about their parents because while I think Jon seems like he is the more pleasant one to be around I think they both suck!

Edited by ellenr33
  • Love 7

I re-watched the last episode of the original series last night on TLC On Demand. Jon didn't look sober and he admitted he had just moved 3 hours away from his kids voluntarily to live in New York. Kate seemed far more upset about the loss of the show than she was about her marriage or the trauma the public fiasco was causing to their children. Then Jon acted like a complete dick to Maddy and Cara over posters for a lemonade stand, and Kate forced 6 five years old to march down a public country road for a mile to a farm while the crew and paparazzi trailed behind. They were both assholes.

• Useful 2

The house is still pending sale. I wonder what contingencies were in the offer.

Mady posted something a few weeks back of them decorating a Christmas tree. From what little you could see, it looked like a different house to me. So I assumed they moved sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. But it's possible that they didn't. I'm super curious about whether Kate is trying to move the remaining kids farther away from Jon so it's harder for them to flee to his house like Hannah did.

• Love 1

Jon is turning into a bigger famewhore than Kate with all the appearances on Dr. Oz. I don't understand how he really thinks constantly putting his family back into the media spotlight is going to make his children want to talk to him.

• Love 3
On 12/23/2020 at 12:03 PM, Kellyee said:

I re-watched the last episode of the original series last night on TLC On Demand. Jon didn't look sober and he admitted he had just moved 3 hours away from his kids voluntarily to live in New York. Kate seemed far more upset about the loss of the show than she was about her marriage or the trauma the public fiasco was causing to their children. Then Jon acted like a complete dick to Maddy and Cara over posters for a lemonade stand, and Kate forced 6 five years old to march down a public country road for a mile to a farm while the crew and paparazzi trailed behind. They were both assholes.

Why is Hannah and Colin living with Jon? Sorry its been awhile since I seen this show. The last time I watched was when they first moved in that big house and Kate was cleaning refrigerator for 2 hours?!

Why is Hannah and Colin living with Jon? Sorry its been awhile since I seen this show. The last time I watched was when they first moved in that big house and Kate was cleaning refrigerator for 2 hours?!

Collin has some kind of mental/emotional problem that no one has clearly defined to the public. Jon says he has ADHD and then PTSD from having Kate as his mother, but no one knows for sure. Anyway, Kate dumped Collin at an in-patient mental health facility for treatment for 3 years. Jon finally found out where he was and got him out. As for Hannah, there was some much publicized drama where she didn't want to live with Kate and there were public arguments over Hannah's visitation. Then Hannah moved in with Jon, Kate tried to get her back but failed in the courts to get her, and now it appears that Kate has disowned her. But there has been no official explanation why Hannah wanted to get away from Kate, and it's rather fascinating because when the kids were little, Hannah always appeared to be Kate's favorite child.

• Love 5