Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Plus 8 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Personally, from hearing stories about Kate and her nursing career, I wouldn't ever want to have to deal with her, or be at her mercy.

The biggest issues from what I've read in multiple articles is that even when the show money started rolling in, they never paid the mortgages off, and the same with the estate where the kids live now.     I wonder how everything is financed now, since there is only occasional money from TLC, and the expenses must be huge.     

From articles over the years, my understanding is that the first house they lived in had the minimum down payment, and they never put money into paying down the mortgage.   Then when they tried to sell it was way overpriced, I guess because they were celebrities, and the house sat on the market for a long time.   I'm assuming if it sold it was at a bargain price, because it had been empty for so long.     The estate was bought with the minimum down I understand too, and I'm guessing that with taxes, utilities, and a very over the top lifestyle, then there isn't anything saved, or paid to get the mortgage paid off either.  

At least all of the churches that supported them with speaking engagements stopped, when the news got out that their marriage was a crock, and they weren't the religious family they portrayed.      I wonder if any of the kids want to go to college, and how that will get financed?    

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

since there is only occasional money from TLC

They haven't had an episode or special air since when?  TLC doesn't pay residuals so that isn't an income source for her.

• Love 1

Didn't they have some specials a few years ago?      Then there's that awful dating show that seems to always be in the works, and I hope never airs.      I do have to wonder how everything is financed now, because she doesn't work, there's no show, and the kid's support is a lot of expense.    Just supporting Kate's personal expenses must a huge drain.     

• Love 2

The finances are a mystery. Could Kate have made way more money than anyone guessed? Maybe she had good investment advice? Jon did say in an interview a couple of years ago the kids have trust funds. Can only the kids access them or can Kate take money out for the children's expenses? There are more questions than answers.

• Love 3

The range in supposed salaries I've seen for reality tv is insane, from peanuts to lottery numbers. I remember back around 2009, when the show was at its prime, seeing estimates in the 30-60k/episode range on GwoP. And they were really cranking out episodes back then. I could never personally see the higher end of that, especially of TLC, but I have no idea. Then there were the books, the speaking engagements, etc. While Kate seems like she will do anything for fame, I also see her somebody who "knows her worth" and will not put up with being underpaid. I also have seen she can be anally cheap (*ahem* coupon gate) when she is not being extravagant.

I really do think she has made a buttload of money over the years regardless, enough to sustain fine via investing. Though her expenses are what it all depends on. Sure that house ain't cheap, but that swanky private school x8 (well, now x6) is an enormous cost if she is paying full price. Her personal staff like nannies/housekeepers/body guards has had to be expensive, assuming it came out her pocket. She loves having the best of the best. But she's also great at "free", as I have to imagine a lot of her clothes and whatnot have been at various points. So, again, I have no idea. It's one of those "anything and everything is possible" kinda scenarios for me.

• Love 4

I'm not sure the trust funds still exist, but if they do, then I bet she's the trustee, and that's not good.    When they were trying to sell the first house they filmed at, they priced it way over market because it was 'famous'.     The last I heard it never sold, so I'm assuming they took it off the market, and probably relisted, but there was still a ton owing on it.     I hope the kids get scholarships (some state college systems give free tuition for state schools for multiples), because I'm betting they're going to have to get loans if they don't.   

The speaking engagements were churches, and I read that there was a minimum of love offerings they had to guarantee (about $20k as I recall), and pay all of her expenses (only sometimes did Jon go).     That stopped when the scandals about behavior surfaced.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Haven't been keeping up with Gosselin news for several years, but with the customized home page going away for the time being, I've been checking in here as I scroll through shows. So is Steve the "bodyguard" still around? Before we moved 8 years ago, he lived about 8 miles from me in MD. Quite a haul to get to her place in PA.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

So is Steve the "bodyguard" still around?

When you need a bodyguard it is time to re-think your public image.

On 12/10/2018 at 7:26 AM, AZChristian said:

Taxes for 2018 on her house (assessed as a farm) were $18,413.94

That is A LOT of money!!!

• Love 2

"[The kids are well adjusted]" Keep feeding us that one, lady.

Seriously, poor Cara. Why does she get dragged along to this crap if doesn't get to talk? Or if she doesn't want to.

I can't imagine a reality show of the twins going very far, but it would be hysterical only because of the jealousy an ounce of attention would cause in their mother.

• Love 6

Haven't watched this in a LONG time, but, dropped by to see if the stuff I'm seeing about Jon and Collin is true and what the real deal is. I know that Collin was in a therapeutic home for years.  And, why Kate did not seek custody and Jon did. Anyone?

From the news stories I read, Jon has had Colin for a while, and one of the girls also.    There was a custody battle over Colin, and at the hearing the other day, Jon showed up but Kate didn't.     

Colin was at some treatment facility, but from what I read Jon didn't even know where he was for a long time.     There have been a lot of discussion about how effective the program was, and if it was even a real therapeutic program, but that's over now, and apparently he's back in regular school full time. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Haven't watched this in a LONG time, but, dropped by to see if the stuff I'm seeing about Jon and Collin is true and what the real deal is. I know that Collin was in a therapeutic home for years.  And, why Kate did not seek custody and Jon did. Anyone?

An article that just came out said Jon told the court Kate was a trigger for Collin, and she wouldn't cooperate with his treatment. 

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2019/02/kate-gosselin-refused-cooperate-troubled-son-collin-treatment-ex-jon-gosselin-claims-court-custody/

• Love 3

I quit watching at CupCakeGate but spent two days reading this thread to see where they are now. WOW the twins are 18! RUN! As much as I'd like to see all of Kate's trash dumped I can't see a tell all even from Maddie. The pisser might be Hannah though in a few years. 

I often waffled on Jon but good on him for being proactive with Collin and Hannie. 

A dating show eh? Well she has been at the very least been in an emotional relationship or two since Jon so the doe eyed BS won't work.

They will have to import guys from countries that K plus has never been seen. 

Can you imagine this bitch on Survivor ? Big Brother? First voted out for SURE! 

Collin looks great and so does Hannah. She looks just like Jon.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Looking at the above Christmas picture of Jon & his girlfriend with their kids, I am struck by the fact that they really could pass as a biological family unit.

Of course I don’t know how well the “kids” get along or how much time they spend together, but having an “older brother” figure could be great for Colin.  Provided they are good folks, having older siblings, and other extended family members, could be great for both kids.

I wonder if they have any contact with Kate’s brother & his family? (Or was it Jon’s brother we used to see?)  Is Jon’s mother still alive?  

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I wonder if they have any contact with Kate’s brother & his family? (Or was it Jon’s brother we used to see?)  Is Jon’s mother still alive?  

It was Kate's brother. I don't know. I hope so through Jon. The brother and sister in law seemed nice. Jon's mother is still alive as far I know. I've read the children have seen her during visitation visits with Jon.  The last I heard of her was when the Hannah news came out, and she said Hannah was being treated unfairly by Kate. It's an article from 2017 so it was before Jon got custody of Hannah. https://hollywoodlife.com/2017/09/13/kate-gosselin-punishing-hannah-taking-jon-side-interview-grandmother/

• Love 5

Kate's brother and sister in law (Jodi, maybe?) got cut out when the original TV show was on.    Anyone who was out of favor was exiled, and never came back.    There were updates about the brother and SIL on a blog that talked about the Gosselin family, I don't know if it's still current or even exists.      

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Kate's brother and sister in law (Jodi, maybe?) got cut out when the original TV show was on.    Anyone who was out of favor was exiled, and never came back.    There were updates about the brother and SIL on a blog that talked about the Gosselin family, I don't know if it's still current or even exists.      

Last I heard about them, they talked at a Pennsylvania hearing about children in reality shows. That was a while back. There was a law passed where children got more money. 

Edited by babyhouseman
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
Just now, ginger90 said:

In Pennsylvania, the law was looked at , in part, because of the fact the Gosselin children were shown being undressed, and using the toilet. One of the main things that was put into the law was  that trust funds be set up for child actors with the employer depositing 15 percent of the child's gross earnings into trusts, named, a 'Coogan' clause.

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I read that Kate hasn't even had any contact with her son Colin, since he came out of the therapeutic center, and moved in with his father.

The problems I've read about with the Coogan trusts for kids, is that the money can be used for things like agent fees, it's taxed of course, and expenses for the kids, such as school, and outside lessons are taken out too.    I've even heard of parents who are the agents for their kids charging a fee against the children's trusts, and sometimes even housing expenses.   

I wonder where on Earth they found someone to date that woman?    Her dating show will certainly be something to avoid for me.  

• Love 2

Kate rambled about her children's birthday and Mother's Day on social media. Turns out she's gearing up for promoting the dating show which is on June 10. I'd rather watch paint dry. The twins are on the show too. I read that Jon wouldn't let the other kids be on the show because they're minors, and the show needs his permission. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Kate rambled about her children's birthday and Mother's Day on social media. Turns out she's gearing up for promoting the dating show which is on June 10. I'd rather watch paint dry. The twins are on the show too. I read that Jon wouldn't let the other kids be on the show because they're minors, and the show needs his permission. 

I hope the dating show draws so few viewers that TLC will have to pull it before all the episodes air.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, JerseyGirl said:

rs_819x1024-190529200433-kate-gosselin-m

They couldn't "afford" dresses that fit?  I know they are only just out of high school, but they look so trashy!  Of course, with their over 40 mother showing off her wrinkly, old knees, in an equally ill fitting dress, I guess we can't expect much better.

• Love 8

Kate and Rachel DeAlto the dating expert actually seem to get along well, they seem to play off each other like they actually friends.  Even though I usually don't like Kate I really am finding her more tolerable than in the past.  I think Mady is hilarious contrary to popular opinion.

• Love 1

Okay, who is the Queen fan on the production staff?  Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but I’m a huge fan and I’ve noticed that every episode title has some connection to a Queen song.  Grr . . .

Kate is beyond unattractive and I’m not talking about her physical being.  She’s just off-putting and puts out an ugly, thoroughly unpleasant vibe.  I can’t blame any man for not wanting to date her.  

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, endure said:

Kate and Rachel DeAlto the dating expert actually seem to get along well, they seem to play off each other like they actually friends.  Even though I usually don't like Kate I really am finding her more tolerable than in the past.  I think Mady is hilarious contrary to popular opinion.

OMG I was so wrong, she (Kate) just fired her lol.

• LOL 2
1 minute ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Okay, who is the Queen fan on the production staff?  Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but I’m a huge fan and I’ve noticed that every episode title has some connection to a Queen song.  Grr . . .

Kate is beyond unattractive and I’m not talking about her physical being.  She’s just off-putting and puts out an ugly, thoroughly unpleasant vibe.  I can’t blame any man for not wanting to date her.  

That's OK because I don't think she has any interest any dating at all.  She is probably just here to be on TV and make some quick cash!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Guys, there is a Kate Plus Date topic in which to discuss that series. I’ll move these posts later today, but please start posting there. Thank you!

My apologies, thanks!

Due to John Gosselin's Ed Hardy shirt smothering a server glitch that ate the old thread, there's a new one for Kate Plus Date here.

Here's an article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7470303/Jon-Gosselin-says-Kate-mentally-tortured-son-Collin.html

Here are the highlights of the article:

Jon Gosselin claims Kate Gosselin mentally tortured their son Collin and also abused their daughter Hannah, in a bombshell interview with DailyMailTV 

Jon is speaking out for the first time since the gag order imposed upon him was lifted after a decade 

Jon claims Kate sent Collin, then 11 years old, to a special needs institution in Philadelphia for three years, despite only having ADHD

Collin sent shocking letters to Jon begging him to rescue him, as the tween accused Kate of abuse to a mandated reporter multiple times 

Jon claims while Collin was 'caged' at the institution, Kate only visited Collin three times, and says Collin now suffers from PTSD 

Jon says Kate's 'pattern of abuse' includes running a military-esque regime, enforcing chores and tasks beyond what any normal child should endure 

Jon revealed how Kate also mentally abused and alienated their daughter Hannah – who now lives with him after he won custody of her and Collin

Repeated attempts by DailyMailTV requesting comment from Kate about John's claims were met with silence

Edited by Gemma Violet