Type keyword(s) to search

Kate Plus 8 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I got here googling to see if anything had ever come out about where Collin ended up and all I came across were some articles from RadarOnline talking about how the place he's in now got lots of violations, got their certificates revoked and changed to a 6 month permit, had staff ignore a suicide attempt, had a kid escape and there's more. If that's true then Collin's probably not in a very great place emotionally. The patients there also aren't allowed to leave, they're just allowed visitation. I don't have a problem believing that his early abuse led him to have anger issues bad enough that he was a threat to the rest of the kids but I can't imagine how a place like that is going to do anything more than make it all worse.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Maharincess said:

@bethster2000,  the Harper family beats every show in my house. I adore that goofy little show. 

There are plenty who are snobby about it, but I don't care.  That show is damned hilarious.  I prefer The Iola Years.  I will gladly watch an Aunt Fran episode, though.

Topic: Kate sucks.  And man, she isn't aging well.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Episode of Mama's Family from 1983 that I have seen 974 times  >  New episode of Kate Plus 8

Bahahahaha! Love this. 

Thankfully there is an overload of programming on Monday nights right now, so I have ZERO problems leaving Kate off my DVR. 

• Love 2

After the big bday bash "finale" next week, this show is done, right??  TLC can't be renewing this shrew and her 8 7 hostages children.  What is left to learn about this horrible person?  She is an egomaniacal attention whore.  She has anger and control issues.  She alienates most adults from her kids.  She shrieks her way through even the most innocuous task as if she's been asked to trek across the Andes, barefoot, while carrying the kids, their gear and the 7 llamas booked for the journey.  If presented with a challenge (i.e.- party planning, bungy jumping, swimming, skiing, petting a wild animal, tubing...), she moans and whines and blubbers, "I can't...I can't!  I CAN'T!!!!". Once prepped for the challenge, the tears begin, "Why  are you making me do this??? Who will take care of my kids if I'm in a body cast???  WHY???".  Then it's time for the challenge to happen and she berates the instructors, her kids and the production crew.  When the challenge is attempted/finished, we get angry relief or overly dramatic thanks be to God for letting her survive, and her avowal that she will never do that again. Lather, rinse, repeat ad nauseum. 

Maddy is just like her mother, and via some kind of Stockholm syndrome, I don't think she'll be the one to write the tell-all book.  I'm betting on Cara or one of the boys. 

And because it can't be said enough, poor lost boy Colin.  More vacations and birthdays he is left out of as if he never existed.  She'd never do it, but if there was a normal, loving, sane, therapeutic person willing to be his parent, I wish Kate would just formally give up parental rights and let Colin receive the love and attention he needs.

• Love 11

I just finished watching this (*why* am I watching this)? It seems like producers are kinda baiting the kids to mock Kate for our entertainment! Boy are these kids in for a rude surprise when they are not the center of the universe...

• Love 2

7/17/2017:  781K viewers and a .22 rating.

2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

After the big bday bash "finale" next week, this show is done, right??  TLC can't be renewing this shrew and her 8 7 hostages children. 

According to one of the nightly entertainment news shows, Hate Plus 8 is cancelled except for occasional specials.  I think these three episodes this summer might be considered specials.

On 7/11/2017 at 6:52 PM, Maharincess said:

I hate the COLLEGE COLLEGE COLLEGE mindset. People seem to think you can't have a fulfilled, successful life without college. I know people with college degrees who work as waiters and hostesses. I know people who work trades who make great money and have had long lasting careers. Who's to say that all 8 kids, or even 1 of them will want to go to college?  Neither of my kids went to college yet they both have great jobs and they each bought their first homes before they were 28.  Too many people push college and I just don't think its necessary for everybody.  The average age of today's trade worker is 56, where will all these people who push college be when the trade workers retire and they need work done? 

Sorry for the rant but I just hate the "all kids must go to college to be successful" mindset. 

Your children are the exception to the rule.  Studies show that college graduates have happier lives than non-graduates. Having a college degree gives people the opportunity to explore work in fields they like, instead of being forced to work a factory job.  The factory job may pay well, but most would say they wouldn't be doing it if they had a choice.  The same studies also show that people with college degrees have longer, happier marriages and even live longer than non-graduates.  Of course there are exceptions, as there are to every rule.

• Love 6
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Honey said:

Your children are the exception to the rule.  Studies show that college graduates have happier lives than non-graduates. Having a college degree gives people the opportunity to explore work in fields they like, instead of being forced to work a factory job.  The factory job may pay well, but most would say they wouldn't be doing it if they had a choice.  The same studies also show that people with college degrees have longer, happier marriages and even live longer than non-graduates.  Of course there are exceptions, as there are to every rule.

With all due respect, I don't agree with this AT ALL.  Nobody in my life except for a few went to college, the non college people have better jobs and more opportunities.  My niece graduated from SFSU in 99 and works as a hostess in a restaurant.  A good friend has a degree and she has never found steady work. 

How can a study he done on happiness?!  Happiness is relative. And I never trust "studies".  In my opinion its very snobby to say  that people who go to college are happier and that the only opportunity for those who didnt go to college is working in a factory!  Thats so so so not true at all. There are so many choices for people who want to work a trade. 

Your comment is exactly what I was talking about in my first post. 

I guess every person I know is an exception to the rule. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 6
(edited)

"Studies" are always skewed to fit somebody's agenda. I don't trust them at all. So you study a few and that means its the same for all?  Ridiculous. 

The mindset that people who don't go to college are doomed to work in a lowly factory all their lives is so unfair. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 5

In my own opinion, A college degree isn't everything. I have worked in the school systems and teachers with Masters degrees don't make anywhere near what my friend makes in salary with a corporate communications company.AND she only has a high school diploma! She took advantage of extra training and whatever her employer offered and now is making well over 125k per year. My teacher friends are always taking 2nd and 3rd jobs. It's terrible!

It's also hard to justify spending 80,000 dollars on an education when you don't know what you want to do.

• Love 6

To bring this back to Kate, she had an excellent profession:nursing. Gave it up to pursue fame and fortune by putting her family on tv for $22-50k per episode(I'm guessing) 

Just watched the show and Oh Dear God what a whiny coward!!! How the hell dies she do anything, living in fear of maybe possibly getting hurt? 

Kate, if you are ever hurt, or if you are unable to care for your children, they will be fine. They may even embrace the calm. 

• Love 7
(edited)
13 hours ago, Honey said:

I just don't get how happiness can be measured. Happiness is relative, and not only that - some people may be happy in one aspect of their lives and not in another. My sisters are all college graduates. I think all of their husbands went as well, although I'm not 100% certain that all my BILs have actual degrees. My husband and I did not attend college. One of my sisters has HUGE student loan debts to pay down and makes (in her field of study) less than HALF of what my non-college educated husband makes. She loves her husband and friends and children and has plenty of happiness, but they have HUGE money stress in their life on a daily basis. I certainly do not envy that. 

It seems like you're saying the only alternative to college is working in a factory? I don't know if that was your intent, but it comes off pretty offensive. I didn't go to college and I've never set foot in a factory. Before having kids, I worked as a pharmacy tech and I really enjoyed my job. My husband went to trade school and works in the HVAC field. He started out as a sheet metal apprentice and worked his way up. He's now superintendent for his company and spends half of his time in his office, bidding jobs and answering emails. Like I said, he makes more than twice what my college educated sister makes and is able to support our family of 5 by himself. And yes, it was his choice and he ENJOYS doing it. He's really good at it and working with his hands, being able to see the result of his hard work, it gives him a lot of satisfaction and pride. 

College is not the answer for everyone. If you want to go, more power to you. But many college graduates end up in massive debt and have trouble finding satisfying work in their field. I think people who go just to go and say they have that degree are not very bright. It's wise to consider ALL options, what you really want to do, and weigh the pros and cons of each choice.  Kate has 8 kids and many of them may be interested in fields that don't necessarily require a lot of higher learning. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Just watched the show and Oh Dear God what a whiny coward!!! How the hell dies she do anything, living in fear of maybe possibly getting hurt? 

Kate, if you are ever hurt, or if you are unable to care for your children, they will be fine. They may even embrace the calm. 

Okay - you made me laugh out loud.  Next up on Kate Plus Eight:  The kids slip something into Kate's organic apple juice to upset her stomach, not to kill her just send her to the hospital for a few days!!  Come enjoy the calm house!  Queue to Kate in the hospital bossing the nurses around.  

• Love 1

Regarding the college discussion - Kate's kids may want to go to college as a way to get away from her!  (Also, if they're in college, she may not expect them to work until graduation.)  I have a college education and post graduate degree and don't think it makes me any "better" than anyone else (well, better the Kate, but that's a different story).  College isn't for everyone and I think it takes a smart person to know that a college education isn't for them.

My hairdresser did not go to college. I did. She drives a Mercedes. I drive a Mazda.  

• Love 6

Oh, for heaven's sake.  Can we get back to the topics that are really important?  You know, like spending eight hours on stain removal?  Or hitting Emeril with a spatula?  Or showing your lot lizard side by prancing around in gravel wearing high heels?

• Love 4

Never watched Jon and Kate, vaguely aware of their divorce and years since, but decided that since it is a billion degrees outside, I'd DVR Kate and see what the fuss was about. Is this all there is, a shrewish, control freak of a woman with way too much time and money on her hands, older girls who seem crazy spoiled and talk like valley girls and 5 cute younger kids who are prob going to feel very entitled very soon? And the 3rd boy, MIA? Glad I never wasted time on this vapid woman.

• Love 7
On 18/07/2017 at 5:34 PM, Maharincess said:

"Studies" are always skewed to fit somebody's agenda. I don't trust them at all. So you study a few and that means its the same for all?  Ridiculous. 

The mindset that people who don't go to college are doomed to work in a lowly factory all their lives is so unfair. 

I totally agree with you, like always:)

• Love 1

I am so relieved to find out that I apparently have a lot of company in seriously disliking Kate.   My husband hates when he sees this show is on as she brings out the absolute worst in me.  Her with all of her "woe is me - I have to do it ALL BY MYSELF - I have no one to help me" attitude.  She was like this even when Jon was around following all her screeching orders to do this and do that.  I keep telling my husband I hope I live long enough to read the books these kids will write.   I can barely even watch when Cara is sitting on the couch - the child never smiles, barely speaks - she either doesn't want to do the show and is being made to or she's got some depression going on.  She was so much happier and more confident when Jon was around.   As for Colin- I remember from way back in the day - he was always the focus of Kate and her wrath - whether she was making fun of him or being mean to him - it's no wonder the boy has issues and I'm not at all surprised that she removed him from "her" house (remember that episode when they moved in and she said "it's mine - ALL MINE" about the house even though Jon was still with her at the time?).    And yet - I watch the show...

• Love 3

Not sure what happened with Collin but I feel like it's more Kate's fault than something he did, however I wish whoever writes the info on what the show is about "Kate takes all 8 kids for skiiing lessons" no she didn't there were 7. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I only watch this show sporadically but why does only the one twin do all the talking in the TH's? 

Maddie is more outspoken.  Plus, I think Cara figures it's not worth the effort.

Here's an unscripted interview with Khate and the twins  from the Today show when they were 13.  Reports are that Khate was heard backstage screaming at the girls afterward.

• Love 4

& when they did the birthday show last year Maddie was doing all the talking/planning with the cake decorator and she was begging Cara to be involved, I get the sense that Cara calms her down. As high strung as she is you can tell she really relies on Cara. 

14 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I only watch this show sporadically but why does only the one twin do all the talking in the TH's? 

Mady's always been more talkative and attention-seeking. I think she enjoys the reality show thing. She reminds me of her mother. I get the sense Cara is not into the show. 

• Love 1

I haven't been watching, but I find it rather appalling that Colin's problems are being announced by the powers that be.  At any rate, something that happened stuck with me and I'm not even sure why.  On one of the birthday episodes, Kate took the kids out to buy clothes for their birthday party.  Everyone got the predictable shorts, t-shirts, etc but Colin wanted a button down shirt and long pants.  Very formal and adult professional.  I remember he brought the items to Kate and she immediately veteoed it.  She then said that Colin always wanted to dress like an adult and it was....weird.  That was her reaction and I wondered about it.  Is there really anything wrong with him wanting to dress up for his birthday party or even that he wanted to look different from his brothers?  Was it individuality or was Kate trying to dissuade his rebelliousness on every level?  The nail that sticks up gets hammered down?  Colin always gets that reaction from his mom, although all her kids probably do as well.  He was always trying to show her his work, trying to show his clothes, looking for approval and Kate always puts them down.  I do remember when he brought her a drawing that represented him and her and she immediately asked where the brothers and sisters were in the image.

I hope things work out for him.  I think some felt that it was Aaden who would have problems adapting but clearly no.

• Love 5
On 7/24/2017 at 10:03 AM, bichonblitz said:

This is really common with twins -- one is dominant (choleric) and the other is more laid-back (phlegmatic). You can see it with Tia (loudmouth!) and Tamera (quieter) Mowry, Ashley (slightly less quiet) and Mary Kate (super reserved) Olsen, Ashton (famous hyperactive nut) and Michael (low-key average guy) Kutcher, etc. I've known a couple of real-life sets of twins that were the same way. In fact, I can't think of a pair that didn't have that dynamic! As far as I can tell, Cara is fine with Mady being the showboat sister, and will speak up when something is really worth it to her. 

• Love 3

As stated last week, am new to this show. It took me 2 episodes to figure it out. Everything from parties to vacations to swing set removal is all about Kate. No way the 7 remaining at home will grow up to be emotionally healthy adults. 

• Love 5

I refuse to watch the show.  It breaks my heart about Colin.  She has admitted to hitting him throughout his childhood.  How does one hit a special needs child?  Why doesn't his father know where he is or why has he not seen Colin in two years?  What court would allow this?

I found this link from Radar online (take if for what it's worth).  If true, very troubling.

• Love 6

Aww, thanks bethster2000. I'm kind of sad, I bet I missed tons of great snark when this show was on. My goodness, she is so high maintenance and it's all about her. My kids are adults now,  but I think of all the times with them on vacations or school events or sports when I was hot, cold, bored,  hungry, tired,  etc. and guess what,  I shut my mouth and tried to enjoy because it wasn't about me. What an awful woman/mother Kate is.

• Love 4

Wow, I didn't ever watch that show. What a miserable shrew. The kids were having a blast and she made them leave because she's a diva who can't handle a simple camping trip. "You're a Palin now, not a Gosselin". WOW. 

Yea, I'm not a fan of the Palins either, but I had to laugh at the face Bristol pulled when Kate was whining like a baby. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

What an awful woman/mother Kate is.

Standard disclaimers apply about the Palins.  Going on an overnight campout in Alaska with a family who loves Alaska as much as they do would be a dream come true for me.  Just the sheer beauty of all of it.  All of God's splendor and you get to be a part of it.  Only a very small-minded, petty individual would worry about the lack of paper towels.

And I'll say it once again: you'll note that the kids were having a blast.

• Love 7
On 7/25/2017 at 9:57 AM, Whyyouneedaname said:

do teenage girls really want to have a spa day for their birthday party?  I just saw a couple of minutes of the show, didn't watch it all but thought that was odd.

Hellz yeah they do! Massages, mani/pedis, facials....I loved those things at 16 (still do). 

On July 26, 2017 at 5:44 AM, bethster2000 said:

jacksgirl, this is for you.  I am not a fan of the Palin family by a longshot, but what Kate pulled here is inexcusable.

Her kids were having a blast, you'll kindly note.

Yeah, she showed her ass BIG TIME in that episode.  She's a C U Next Tuesday, from the inside out.

• Love 1

I watched an old 10 year episode the other day, which was put together as an update on Kate and the kids. She mentioned she was working on  school for Colin, after it showed her taking the other kids to the bus stop. All of them were getting up early for school, and it showed Joel and Aiden first making lunches with Kate. He wasn't in the talking heads though, so some parts of the episodes were filmed before he went away. I can't remember if he was officially kicked out of the school that all the other kids attend, but I seem to recall he wasn't allowed back in kindergarten, along with Alexis, years ago. So I assume Kate had a tutor, I don't think she took on the task of homeschooling him by herself. I do wonder if he'll ever be coming home again but somehow I doubt it. That poor boy must feel horrible about having been sent away. 

The episodes show that Kate doesn't know how to enjoy herself outside of her element. The lists that wast showed about making lunches was just an example of her being a control freak.  Her meltdowns make me wonder if she's either acting for the camera or whether she was ever fired from a job. I can't imagine any nurse acting the way she does. It'll be interesting to see what she attempts to do for a living after the kids are grown since she's not that old yet- 42?  I figure that house will probably have to get sold in a few years unless she gets more regular shows from TLC.

• Love 3

I've watched since they were babies, my my how much more  horrible can she get as a mother. She must think preparing food, a roof over their head (that they have worked for) and daily baths is all that is required of you. She doesn't seem to have any bond with them at all. All she thinks about is what if she gets hurt, what will they do if she's not up and about at the crack of dawn. They are teenagers, they can manage somewhat by themselves, she just wants total control & I feel like that's what has happened with Collin, he went against the grain. I feel like most of them will never come back home after they leave, and I don't blame them. I feel like there will be years of counseling to fix them from what she has done.

• Love 3
On 8/2/2017 at 10:36 AM, CarolMK said:

whether she was ever fired from a job.

She was fired from her Coupon Cabin gig.  Former co-workers of hers from the dialysis clinic unanimously say that she was a self-serving bitch who was rude to everyone, including the patients.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

It sounds like whichever daughter is is, she really, really wanted to go with her dad and Kate wouldn't let her.  I hope it was Hannah, I can picture Kate screaming at her "but you're my favorite!!!!!" 

In Touch said it was indeed Hannah.  They have video!

• Love 1