Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

I cringed when he said about the MeToo movement, “My gosh, this has got to be a scary time for men.” I'm sure he realizes that this is about the scary times for WOMEN, but his remark seems typical of him -- a little tone-deaf. I wish he had said something like, "Of course women have been and are being treated terribly, but it's interesting to think how men are now scared."

I got a big chuckle out of this:

How would President Trump do on Jeopardy!?
He might not agree that any of the correct responses are correct.

• Love 3

I totally agree with Alex about the board jumping.  Many of the clues are written so they make more sense if you start at the top. And it makes the least sense when they do it right at the start.  Even some of the kids are doing it now in the teen tournament. And I'm not sure they know why they're doing it.    

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I cringed when he said about the MeToo movement, “My gosh, this has got to be a scary time for men.” I'm sure he realizes that this is about the scary times for WOMEN,

Oh, I don't think so.  I think he meant exactly what he said, and he can go take a long walk off a short pier with that crap.

But, yes, I laughed out loud at his Trump prediction, because that's exactly what would happen.  "Fake clues!"

I also got some chuckles out of his thoughts on board jumping after the DDs have been found and how people's knowledge gaps really surprise him sometimes. 

And how very Alex that when he'd several times not been able to remember someone's name and thus asked the interviewer, the one time later the interviewer jumped in with someone's name, Alex basically said, "Yes, jackass, him."  And when he was telling the story of someone walking up and trying to stump him with the flag question, and the interviewer jumped in with the moon answer and I could just imagine the look as Alex said, yes, he knew it, too.  Alex is impatient and petulant in a certain way that entertains me.

I liked his honesty about how his age affects his concentration (and that of the person pushing the button to reveal the chosen clue), and that he even went off and had the dementia tests done.

And I understand his pride in troubleshooting and repairing something that has quit working; I like that "A-ha!" moment, too.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm feeling clueless here.What have I forgotten? Can you fill me in on the background?

The weirdness is that someone is cutting out photos of Alex Trebeck and putting them into a scrapbook, plus keeping such a close track of them that he/she is unhappy that The Washington Post has run a photo they printed before instead of using a new one that he/she could have added to his/her shrine wall  scrapbook. Some people find that creepy. And stalkerish. Of course, YMMV. You can read the response comments (and add your own) at @SerenaEGolden. Ken Jennings has also retweeted this.

• Love 2

Family Feud just did a category, "Name five U.S. presidents who would have done well on Jeopardy." One team won the buzzer with Lincoln, fifth out of five answers.

Next answer was No. 1: Obama. Next answer No. 2: JFK. Next answer No. 3: Reagan. Then they got three strikes with The First Bush, Carter and Jefferson. So it went to the other family to guess the No. 4 answer.

Their answer: J. Edgar Hoover.

Yes, seriously.

Answer reveal: No. 4 Bill Clinton

• Love 2
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Next answer was No. 1: Obama. Next answer No. 2: JFK. Next answer No. 3: Reagan.

Reagan would probably have done well in the movie category, one of my weakest.

• Love 1

Alex is on the cover of some magazine I saw while waiting in line at Walmart (ugh). It was a name I didn't recognize, and his head is over most of the masthead. It says he's 78 and quotes him as saying Jeopardy will continue after he's gone. I didn't get to look further as it was my turn to check out. When I turned around, YIKES! everyone in front of me was gone!

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, saber5055 said:

Alex is on the cover of some magazine I saw while waiting in line at Walmart (ugh). It was a name I didn't recognize, and his head is over most of the masthead. It says he's 78 and quotes him as saying Jeopardy will continue after he's gone. I didn't get to look further as it was my turn to check out. When I turned around, YIKES! everyone in front of me was gone!

I saw that too!  I had never heard of the magazine but I told the Hubby the Tabloids must be hard up for topics if they are putting Alex Trebek on the cover :)

• Love 2

The new PEOPLE magazine(Feb 4) has an article about Alex Trebek, his career, his family, etc.  His wife is very attractive.  He says women are as smart, even smarter than men, but they don't wager as good.  And he's not ready to retire. 

I'm sure Alex will say something during the ToC (assuming we have it this year--isn't that "all-star" thing coming up soon?), since the winner of the TT competes in the ToC (doesn't he?).

On 1/26/2019 at 10:48 AM, BuckeyeLou said:

The new PEOPLE magazine(Feb 4) has an article about Alex Trebek, his career, his family, etc.  His wife is very attractive.  He says women are as smart, even smarter than men, but they don't wager as good.  And he's not ready to retire. 

Did you see the big portrait of himself in the photo?  I have to say that reading that article confirmed my belief that Alex is an egotistical jerk.

This is question 5 in Ken Jennings' Kennections puzzle for this week:

5) What kind of animal was Opus in Berkeley Breathed's newspaper strips Bloom County and Outland?

To quote Craig Ferguson: "Remind you of anyone?"

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

This is question 5 in Ken Jennings' Kennections puzzle for this week:

5) What kind of animal was Opus in Berkeley Breathed's newspaper strips Bloom County and Outland?

To quote Craig Ferguson: "Remind you of anyone?"

Cool!

What's the answer?

Edited by opus
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Who's getting these?:

Jeopardy-REDUCED_large.jpg?v=1550186131REDUCED-Chase_large.jpg?v=1550186134

For 35 seasons and nearly 8,000 episodes, America’s Favorite Quiz Show ® Jeopardy! has entertained and educated audiences on a wide range of subjects. Through each of these episodes, television personality Alex Trebek has become one of the most iconic game show hosts in history. Everyone’s a winner with this Pop! Alex Trebek and Chase Figure.