Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

(edited)
Celebrity Jeopardy is coming next month. Three contestants revealed here.

I wonder if Kevin O'Leary will be as big an ass as he is on Shark Tank and the other shows he's been on.  He loves the sound of his own voice.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I used to be non-committal on Aaron Rodgers despite my dislike of the Packers (since much of that dislike was the result of Brett Favre), but he has bothered me all on his own for a couple of seasons now. 

I don't know who Kevin O'Leary is, but, regardless, I'll definitely be rooting for the astronaut in that one (Mark Kelly is also Gabrielle Giffords' husband).

• Love 1

Celebrity Jeopardy is coming next month. Three contestants revealed here.

Aaron Rodgers says he would love to do a SNL style Jeopardy! parody - wouldn't it be great if they did the whole show like that?

Science Magazine: This popular TV game show has a thing for science: What is Jeopardy!?

Excerpt:

None of the current Jeopardy! writers or researchers have scientific backgrounds, which Wisse says usually works to their advantage. “There are subjects we tend to know a lot about and those you have to guard against becoming too esoteric,” explains Wisse, who has a master's degree in English. “In that sense, it's almost easier to write science categories than something I'm more familiar with.” But the flip side is that when the writers do not intimately know a subject, what they deem the “natural” response may have an equally valid alternative that slips under their pregame radar.

(edited)

A contestant interview from Jeopardy was the "Clip of the Week" on 'The Soup' -- specifically, the interview with Ivan telling the story about building a rope ladder and using it to climb into the food hall at his university.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

A cute story from yesterday's Boston Globe about trying out for Jeopardy: http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2015/07/20/take-out-league-for-alex/Liia88Ueq2MawhZx6FYLhJ/story.html#Sounds like the contestant recruiter must have been THRILLED with Jennifer Morrow:

Speak has been leading “Jeopardy!” auditions for more than two decades, and she runs the two-hour sessions like an aerobics class. In the overly bright ballroom, she begins with an impromptu dance party as the “Jeopardy!” theme plays, ecstatically waving her hands in the air and exhorting everyone to get pumped up.

“Let’s see you move!” she admonishes. “ ‘Jeopardy!’ isn’t ‘Masterpiece Theatre.’ This is supposed to be fun!”

• Love 1

Contestant Talia of 'Turd Ferguson' fame was the clip of the week on 'The Soup' -- only they highlighted her inability to ring in, and if she did manage to ring in first her knack for getting the answers wrong.  It's pretty amusing when it's all put together in one clip.

• Love 3

Jeopardy is on a roll this week -- first Clip of the Week on 'The Soup' and tonight it received an extended shoutout during a bit John Oliver did during the Emmys broadcast about how all TV series are limited run series -- with the exception of Jeopardy.  That Jeopardy will go on forever and when the Earth is finally no more it will be accompanied by a sigh from Alex Trebek.  

There was much more to what John said -- will need to check the PVR for all the rest, but it was pretty good.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3
There was much more to what John said -- will need to check the PVR for all the rest, but it was pretty good.

Something about how when the apocalypse comes, Trebek will still be here forcing contestants to answer in the form of a question and passive aggressively making fun of their hobbies. I almost fell off my couch.

Julia Collins linked John's rant on her Twitter. It was amazing because he is wonderful. It wasn't mean, it was really funny.

Something about how when the apocalypse comes, Trebek will still be here forcing contestants to answer in the form of a question and passive aggressively making fun of their hobbies. I almost fell off my couch.

Here's what John Oliver said last night on the Emmys:

John Oliver: "It is my honor to present the Emmy for directing in a dramatic special, movie or limited series. A limited series is of course a series that only runs for a limited time although, lets be honest, pretty much every series is a limited series.  Every show on television will go off the air eventually with the sole exception of Jeopardy, and I'll tell you why.  The sun could burn out, humanity could flee to another galaxy, time as we know could cease to exist, but Alex Trebek will still be there scolding librarians from Ames, Iowa to answer in the form of a question and passive-aggressively insulting their hobbies. So, really, ... he's a people person ... so really, this isn't so much a category as it is an elaborate way to exclude Jeopardy from winning yet another Emmy.  The last sound emitted from Earth will be a Trebek sigh."

• Love 7

Contestant Talia of 'Turd Ferguson' fame was the clip of the week on 'The Soup' -- only they highlighted her inability to ring in, and if she did manage to ring in first her knack for getting the answers wrong.  It's pretty amusing when it's all put together in one clip.

Found the clip of Talia from 'The Soup' -- used a link shortener since embedded youtube links on PTV don't support the time parameter (and seriously, you do not want to see the first 62 seconds of this clip -- it's mind-numbingly stupid).

https://goo.gl/bMkh56

• Love 2

If you've ever dreamed about seeing Alex Trebek stuffed in a phone booth with Shaquille O'Neal, Megan Boone and others....

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/phone-booth-with-hugh-jackman-and-shaquille-oneal/2916590

That was a definitely a bizarre grouping of celebrities.  Alex was a good sport with his comment about Shaq's belly button (or was it his belly button ?) and I liked that the Blue Man wrote help on the window of the phone booth.  Megan Boone wore the wrong outfit for that game.

• Love 1

From the article

as a "disparaging term": a pansy — as in a wimp or a coward.
As in gay. That's what pansy is a disparaging term for and why I didn't think her answer was the high-larious quip Trebek thought it was.
  • Love 3

From dictionary.reference.com:

noun, plural pansies.
a violet, Viola tricolor hortensis, cultivated in many varieties, having richly and variously colored flowers.
the flower of this plant.
Slang.
Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a contemptuous term used to refer to a male homosexual.
Offensive. a weak, effeminate, and often cowardly man.

"Pansy"has been a common anti-gay epithet since at least the 1970s, when I heard it repeatedly as a kid (and I think it's been around much longer than that). If you say you never knew it to be used that way, I will believe you and think maybe that's also true for Trebek and the contestant who used it for FJ. But I don't think it's at all an obscure useage, either.

• Love 6

Wow. Count me as one of the Misfit Toys since I didn't see anything remotely handsome or attractive about ADHD Tom, and never gave "Pansy" a second thought, except that it was a wrong answer. In my world, someone who is a lightweight, chicken, scaredy pants or a wimp could be a pansy. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with that word to me. I have no interest in anyone's sexual preferences, certainly not enough to comment on it one way or the other.

"Pansy"has been a common anti-gay epithet since at least the 1970s,

One has to remember that many people, including some posters here, grew up well before the '70s, when words like pansy, queer and gay all had different meanings. People can't say anything any more without causing someone's undies to get in a bunch.

People have too much time on their hands if the "Pansy" FJ went "viral." I'm as surprised as the poor contestant.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Pansy is definitely a common gay epithet, but I'm not surprised that many people know of alternate uses to indicate cowardly men. Same with "sissy" and "wussy" and "fairy," they are all on the same spectrum from meaning gay to meaning wimpy. There are parts of the country where it has more of one usage than another. My mind also didn't immediately go to "that's a gay slur" when I heard pansy, although I know that it can be. I figured she was poking fun at the belief that democrats are more often pacifists ;)

• Love 1

I think of it as similar to younger people calling things gay. "Last night's homework was gay." They've disassociated the term from where it came from, but it's still embedded in a legacy of persecution. G***** is a similar example.

• Love 2
I figured she was poking fun at the belief that democrats are more often pacifists

I figured she was just trying to come up with some flower name, any flower name, that might work. She just didn't know there is a bleeding heart flower, and bleeding heart flowers look just like ... bleeding hearts, obvious in the picture. I doubt her thinking went any deeper than that, and most certainly wasn't some slur on any political party or sexual orientation. I hesitate to give her credit for such deep thinking in the 30 seconds she had to come up with some flower name that MIGHT fit the category. Trebek was the one who went all cutesy on it. But he's a jerk, and his wiseassery is to be expected.

Her "Pansy" was sort of like H ... Hamilton, Hancock ... for Declaration of Independence signer. It was a duh moment that others chose to turn back on her. Thanks, Trebek.

• Love 4

I figured she was just trying to come up with some flower name, any flower name, that might work. She just didn't know there is a bleeding heart flower, and bleeding heart flowers look just like ... bleeding hearts, obvious in the picture. I doubt her thinking went any deeper than that, and most certainly wasn't some slur on any political party or sexual orientation. I hesitate to give her credit for such deep thinking in the 30 seconds she had to come up with some flower name that MIGHT fit the category. Trebek was the one who went all cutesy on it. But he's a jerk, and his wiseassery is to be expected.

Her "Pansy" was sort of like H ... Hamilton, Hancock ... for Declaration of Independence signer. It was a duh moment that others chose to turn back on her. Thanks, Trebek.

I agree that she probably didn't mean to make some sort of huge political statement! It's just one of the few flower names that also is a derogatory term. Alex was so amused by it I started to wonder if he was a Trump voter.

• Love 2

Nope. I haven't been a teenager for decades, but even then, I was never into the Boy Band look and have never been attracted to sniveling self-absorbed types.

I cannot believe that Tom became a social media sensation! He even made New York Magazine: http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/10/tom-from-jeopardy-is-your-ex-boyfriend.html#

I don't know whether to be amused or annoyed by the opening statement that "Jeopardy contestants are typically teachers from Illinois or nurses from Minnesota." I know that contestants are drawn from a diversity of states and professions, so it's not meant to be taken literally, but it sounds like code for "dowdy Middle Americans."

• Love 2

Wow, GreekGeek. Thanks for that link, but I just can't with this social-media mentality, that anyone saw anything but petulance in Tom's on-show behavior. And as for contestants being "typically teachers from Illinois or nurses from Minnesota," WTH? Has the writer ever seen an episode of this show? Ken Jennings was a software engineer from Utah. Matt Jackson is a paralegal from Washington. And while Alex Jacob is from Illinois, he is a currency trader. I agree that the article is trying to make ADHD Tom stand out from the boring, suburban, middle-class, uninteresting and, yes, dowdy Midwesterners whom the writer, who has never watched this show, thinks populate Jeopardy.

Total fail.

• Love 5

Does anyone watch The Leftovers? In the last ep Patti tells Kevin about having appeared on Jeopardy. FJ was "In area, the largest former Soviet republic after Russia and the largest nation that doesn't border an ocean." She answered correctly with Kazakhstan, while the other guy answered the Ukraine. This was like deja vu! Recently there was a FJ where the answer was Kazakhstan while I, and one of the contestants, answered Ukraine. Eerie.

• Love 3