Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, forumfish said:

That was interesting.

It really was and amusing.

I wonder if Trebek just defaults to Jeopardy host in every situation or just in situations where he's on TV.

I think this is also the first time it occurred to me how much random trivia he must have absorbed over the years. 

(edited)
11 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Oh boo hiss. 

Is Buzzr TV a game show channel? BTW, was Game Changer enjoyable?

1 minute ago, opus said:

Buzzr is definitely a game show channel. In fact, they stream their programming.  You can check out the sked while you're there....

http://buzzrplay.com/watch

(Can't answer the Game Changers question. Haven't seen that)

Edited by opus

"Jeopardy!" is the subject of the latest Pop Culture Happy Hour podcast.  Definitely worth listening to - they touched on a lot of familiar themes!  I think I was smiling all the way through.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/14/2018 at 6:46 AM, GreekGeek said:

One pet peeve of mine: News stories about Jeopardy! that start out with "What is..." or "I'll take ___________ for ___________, Alex."

My pet peeve: Everyone everywhere always says the color of the Labrador retriever, like that makes a difference. Labs come in three colors. Lots of dog breeds come in different colors. Dobermans come in four colors, but no one ever says, "She was walking her black Doberman." Or "She was walking her red Doberman." STOP with the Labrador colors.

Meanwhile, when the woman fell, that would have been the perfect time for Trebek's dog to grab and maul the woman, or her dog. But ... that didn't happen? The heck.

Edited by saber5055

What kills me is the "Chocolate Lab" - every other brown dog is brown (sometimes tan), but Labs have to be CHOCOLATE. I always wonder, Dark, Milk, 70% Cacao? What?  Golden Retrievers don't count as pretentious color names, because that's the name of their breed.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/14/2018 at 2:37 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

What kills me is the "Chocolate Lab" - every other brown dog is brown (sometimes tan), but Labs have to be CHOCOLATE. I always wonder, Dark, Milk, 70% Cacao? What?  Golden Retrievers don't count as pretentious color names, because that's the name of their breed.

Don't kill yourself over the AKC-approved color of a dog. Chocolate is one of the three colors AKC allows for Labradors. AKC colors for Dobermans are black and rust, red and rust, fawn, and blue. Rust, fawn, and blue are official AKC colors. Grizzle is a color. Lemon is a color. Orange is a color. So is liver. For different breeds. Yes, Golden Retrievers are allowed to be only "golden of various shades." (Although the "predominant body color which is either extremely pale or extremely dark is undesirable.") Many breeds come in only one color, such as the Irish and Gordon Setters. But many breeds have more than one allowed color, and the names of those colors can vary by breed: Pug, Brussels Griffon, Newfoundland, PBGV, both Fox Terriers, Scottish Terriers, French Bulldogs and so on through hundreds of breeds. Tan in one breed is brown in another and mahogany in another and chocolate in another. My point was that people don't have to say what color their Labrador Retriever is since no one says it for any other breed. Yellow Lab is not a breed, nor is Black Lab or Chocolate Lab. It's just LAB, short for Labrador Retriever. Period. They are registered by breed, NOT color. Labs are not even shown in classes divided by color, except at specialty shows. So there's that, too. No one else feels the need to announce the color of their dog, what's up with (pet) Lab owners?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
On 7/16/2018 at 2:02 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

"Chocolate" is still pretentious, no matter who approves of it.

How about this: Chesapeake Bay Retriever colors include deadgrass and sedge. Poodles come in silver, blue belton and the delicious apricot. Makes "chocolate" not so pretentious maybe?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'll take cats' coloring any day.

Cats coloring?  Are they sitting around a little table with crayons?  Ohhhh - cats' coloring.  Apostrophes matter!  :)

• Love 1

Alex was chatting with Harvey Levin of TMZ game about his eventual retirement and was asked who’d he’d like to replace him. What is Alex Faust? AF is the announcer for the LA Kings. He also mentioned Laura Coates who is a legal analyst for CNN  

There was also a hint that retirement could come sooner rather than later. With AT being an EP he carries some weight as to his replacement. 

Story found on TMZ (of course) but I cannot post links. 

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Alex was chatting with Harvey Levin of TMZ game about his eventual retirement and was asked who’d he’d like to replace him. What is Alex Faust? AF is the announcer for the LA Kings. He also mentioned Laura Coates who is a legal analyst for CNN  

There was also a hint that retirement could come sooner rather than later. With AT being an EP he carries some weight as to his replacement. 

Story found on TMZ (of course) but I cannot post links. 

Here is a link to that story from ET:

https://etcanada.com/news/352455/alex-trebek-suggests-who-should-replace-him-as-host-of-jeopardy/

(edited)

2020 would be two more seasons, right? I can see wanting to retire at 80, especially since he's had some health issues. I can also see them wanting to go with someone who has exerience as an announcer or tv commenter. As long as it isn't Buzzy or Austin. Or Ken Jennings, who apparently has a problematic twitter history.

Edited by Kathira

Talking of Alex's replacements, I was watching Don Lemon's show on CNN last night, and he had Laura Coates on as a guest.  Isnt she one of the names, Alex mentioned?  She is a very attractive woman but I don't know what would make her a good game show host...she was a former Federal Prosecutor, so she's good at asking questions?

I'd like John O'Hurley.  Liked him on Seinfeld, didn't see any of his Family Feud seasons, and felt bad for him when he and his partner didn't win the first season of Dancing With the Stars (an obviously fixed win), and he's fun on that yearly dog show.  He has presence and some dignity without being standoffish -- he can be witty.  I think he'd be mindful of making contestants comfortable too.  But he's busy -- maybe too busy for Jeopardy!. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I would notice, and I would absolutely stop watching.  I despise Will Farrell.

It was a joke for a variety of reasons including the fact that Jeopardy could never afford him.

• Love 1
Just now, biakbiak said:

It was a joke for a variety of reasons including the fact that Jeopardy could never afford him.

Sorry for misinterpreting!  The concept is so appalling to me that I didn't recognize the humour!  :)

• Love 2
17 hours ago, secnarf said:

https://etcanada.com/news/365611/alex-trebek-has-a-beard-and-the-internet-cannot-get-over-it/

Just a heads up so no one is shocked when the new season starts ;)

I understand there will be an online vote as to whether Trebek should keep the beard or not. I vote a big fat NO, beards to me equal lazy ass person. But I don't like Trebek all that much anyway so don't really give a care what he looks like.

I also understand a championship game is in the works, past winners including Jennings, Buzzy, Mr. I'm The Smartest Person In the Room, Brad Rutter, et. al.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I understand there will be an online vote as to whether Trebek should keep the beard or not

When he grew back the mustache, it was indicated there would be a vote as to whether or not he kept it. About a month later, the mustache was gone, and there wasn't enough time to "have a vote", so it wasn't "popular opinion" to get rid of the 'stache---just his decision. So, vote or no vote (if there even is an actual vote), it will end up being Alex' decision whether or not to keep it.

13 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I just posted this in the Season 35 thread.

We can make our own Fantasy Jeopardy Team. Hokey smokes!

5 minutes ago, illdoc said:

So, vote or no vote (if there even is an actual vote), it will end up being Alex' decision whether or not to keep it.

Hi Alex.

Just fyi, you can vote now on the beard:

Welcome to Season 35! We’ve got a new website for you and a new tournament coming up, and Alex is celebrating the anniversary season with a sharp new look! What do you think? Vote yea or nay on the beard at Facebook or Instagram @Jeopardy.

Link.

Edited by saber5055
7 minutes ago, Roaster said:

They hired Trebek to moderate the Pennsylvania Gubernatorial Debate

Oh my. As much as I don't like Trebek, I wish he would moderate ALL political debates, especially presidential ones. LOL at this from Roaster's link: "During an on-stage interview before the debate, Trebek joked that he was drunk when he accepted the invitation."

I was reading some reviews on-line of Alex's performance as the Moderator of the PA Governor's Debate, yikes, Alex better stick to hosting "Jeopardy"!  Apparently, Alex thought he could interject with his own opinions and thoughts on various issues(Including a long speech about going to Catholic school & no problems with priests there!   Sounds like even the 2 candidates were looking puzzled while Alex spoke on & on....did Alex Not understand what being a Moderator was all about? 

• Love 2