Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

Oh  god, I cried.  Cindy appeared to be as sweet as she was smart.  On Monday I canceled a appt. I had for a mammogram for today.  I have to reschedule very soon, though.  It's for a transplant work-up. 

It just really gets to me now when I see people realize their dreams - especially when they are facing the end of this journey.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, AlwaysWatching said:

Oh  god, I cried.  Cindy appeared to be as sweet as she was smart.  On Monday I canceled a appt. I had for a mammogram for today.  I have to reschedule very soon, though.  It's for a transplant work-up. 

It just really gets to me now when I see people realize their dreams - especially when they are facing the end of this journey.

I agree, she seemed to be a very nice person and very sharp too.

Best of luck to you on your transplant work-up.

• Love 2

Yikes, dcalley, that article says Alex was aware of her condition while she was appearing on the show.  I had assumed he did not know, so was forgiving him for his "frail" comment.  Now I take it back  - that was  an awful thing for him to say.  Same with his "you're still alive" at the end of the previous day going into the final.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Same with his "you're still alive" at the end of the previous day going into the final.

That didn't bother me because he very often says that to the contestant in third position.  Certainly, it was ironic in this case but just a normal thing for him to say. I missed his 'frail' comment.

• Love 3

I think these have all been mentioned in the season thread, but here's some press on Cindy.

'Jeopardy!' Champion Dies Before Taped Episodes Air On TV, NPR, December 19 (with her boyfriend)

Alex Trebek’s emotional tribute to Cindy Stowell, Washington Post, December 22:

Staffers sent advance copies of the first three episodes to Stowell while she was in the hospital and expedited her prize money, according to a release from the show.

Cindy in Her Own Words, Jeopardy.com, December 21 (Cindy interview at the studio)

The Cancer Research Institute has a page for donations in Cindy's name. (source)

• Love 1

That was a cute video...thanks for sharing dcalley!

Alex & I eat the same breakfast - a candy bar & diet soda. The breakfast of champions as I like to call it. 

I like that he realizes that he has a plumb gig & seems appreciative of it. 

19 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

That was a cute video...thanks for sharing dcalley!

I'm glad you liked it, because I posted it without watching it. My computer just refused to play it no matter how many settings I tweaked.

Aw.  Thanks for that.  I've watched since the Art Fleming days, but I cared for my Mom the last five years of her life and every night we ate dinner and watched Jeopardy! together.  I still do this.  It grounds me.  And sometimes I can still hear my Mom yelling at the TV or telling Alex to "stop talking Frenchie!"

• Love 7

It was on TMZ also (don't judge me - it's my guilty pleasure!) Poor Amuparma - that would be my luck to make it on Jeopardy then go viral for something like that. I'd like to think that I could laugh at myself and hope she can too. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3

I didn't watch the whole thing, just FF to see his new hairdo. Much better IMO. I wonder if he is still champ in real time and J! is on a break or filming a tournament, or if he has lost and is back in NYC. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I didn't watch the whole thing, just FF to see his new hairdo. Much better IMO. I wonder if he is still champ in real time and J! is on a break or filming a tournament, or if he has lost and is back in NYC. 

I'm pretty sure they film the episodes well in advance of their airing. I was out of the country for a while and missed her run of shows, but wasn't there a contestant last year who died some weeks before her episodes even appeared on TV?

• Love 1

Yes, episodes are filmed well in advance, and the contestant who sadly passed away before her episodes aired was Cindy Stowell. Depending on if Austin is having a Ken Jennings-like run, he could still be champion in real time and we could be watching his games into 2018.  

• Love 1

Interesting interview with Austin in NY Mag:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/jeopardy-austin-rogers-interview.html 

He says:

"The first week, which was a Tuesday through Friday on the television, was taped all in one day. After I went one-two-three-four, the next morning I woke up to do the next session of five, and I said, “I got this! I can do this whole day! I can definitely do this whole day and make it to nine!” And I did, I swept the whole next day. But I have to say, by the end of that day, I was exhausted and it showed"

I find him fun and it's exciting how much he's winning. He reminds me of a good friend of mine, too.  I could see how people find him annoying, but I can't help but respect his game mastery,

• Love 3

Austin was on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon tonight.  He & Jimmy know each other because Jimmy used to come into the bar where Austin works.   I would say Austin definitely wants to be on TV,  Jimmy gave him a costume & he came out in a hat, pipe in his mouth, checked vest, and fuzzy boots and did a crazy dance and Jimmy joined him in dancing...it was funny, but Austin was having too much fun.   He told a funny story about Alex Trebeck & why he called him "dude"(he's Canadian), and he was very complimentary to Scarlett saying she beat him "fair & square".  

• Love 2

I'm going to disagree with the Austin-hate and say that while I didn't hear his radio interview, I thought he did a superb job on "Tonight Show" -- I think most people, even "Jeopardy!" winners who have had to banter on-air with Trebek a few times, would freeze up when appearing on a talk show watched by millions. It wouldn't surprise me if Austin becomes one of the small handful of winners (along with Ken Jennings and Arthur Chu) to stay in the public eye after his "J!" run.

On another topic, my dad just sent me this interesting article about Fran from the Fresno Bee.

Edited by trow125
  • Love 2