Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

I am sympathetic to contestants being objectified and criticized/judged for the dumbest things.  But I wish that article had been written by someone other than Talia Levin.  Levin played one day, came in third place, made some dumb joke in FJ about "Turd Ferguson" and they tried to parlay her one appearance and dumb joke into Internet fame.

• Love 3

I must say this: Anyone who uses their real name on the internet is asking for trouble.  I had to delete my cat's FB account because they wanted me to "verify your identity" by uploading a government-issued photo ID.  I was pretty sure they wouldn't accept his rabies tag, and as I deleted his account, I told FB, too - anyone who uses their real name on the internet is asking for trouble.

• Love 3

BTW, lately I've been thinking I follow too many people on Twitter. I just get too many tweets to read. Maybe it's mostly election related. Anyway, I decided to Unfollow Alex Jacob, and now he's following me. I believe I read a tweet of his where he said he would follow whoever unfollowed him.

• Love 1

Wow. That seems strange to me. I wonder what the reason is.

Various other media (I don't have the links on hand right now) have stated that it is because of Canadian privacy laws, specifically that websites cannot contact Canadian citizens without express consent, whereas in the US it's enough for them just to be able to opt out, and consent is otherwise assumed. Violations are subject to substantial financial penalty.

I don't see how it is so difficult to add a check box to allow express consent to be given, like on pretty much every other website imaginable, but there you have it.

• Love 4

Not strictly about Jeopardy, but a NYT story about landlords who become friends with their tenants, and a mention of one such landlord, Alex's son.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/realestate/when-the-landlord-is-a-friend.html?login=email&_r=0

He has a cute details about how he's opening a restaurant and Alex is gung-ho on helping him do the renovations. Almost makes me less annoyed abotu a 25-year-old who owns his own brownstone and soon his own restaurant! (He actually seems like a nice kid.)

• Love 2

Books are media, so I guess it fits here... I was reading Bill Bryson's "The Road to Little Dribbling," and at one point he describes picking up a book in a restaurant, and he starts raving about how wonderful it is--and it's Ken Jenning's "Maphead."

• Love 1
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I love Bryson's books, but I haven't heard of The Road to Little Dribbling. Is it new?

Relatively new. It was reviewed by the New York Times a month or two ago.

5 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

They did another edition of 'Black Jeopardy' on SNL last night, with guest host Drake playing a character from Canada named Jared.

I thought Canadians weren't allowed to compete on Jeopardy anymore.  :)

I posted a link upthread that says Jeopardy will be in full compliance with Canadian privacy laws by the time season 33 starts :)

• Love 1

One of the comments on that article is from someone claiming to have been at the taping; she or he says Anderson Cooper initially did well in the practice round:

So I was at this taping, and let me tell you - it was BANANAS. They do a practice round before taping officially begins to get everyone acclimated to the format. It became painfully clear immediately that Lara Logan had no idea what Jeopardy was and had never seen the show before. While everyone else was super serious, sprinkling in only a few quips here and there, she was raising her hand to answer questions, buzzing in without knowing the answer, and cracking jokes. She was acting so erratically that my family and I were honestly asking each other if she was doing shots in the green room before taping began - that’s how crazy she was acting.

The audience of D.C. nerds was mummering with concern over the nonsense occurring on stage - there was a serious buzz in the room. Coops took some time to explain the format of the show to Logan (answer in questions, don’t make jokes, etc.). I think that it really threw him off because he was killing it in the practice round, then totally flubbed the actual game.

The whole thing ran over time by about an hour due to Logan’s shenanigans and was painful to witness. Silver lining is that now I can say I was an eyewitness to a Jeopardy taping that was probably as close to one of the SNL Ferrell sketches as anyone will ever see.

• Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

One of the comments on that article is from someone claiming to have been at the taping; she or he says Anderson Cooper initially did well in the practice round:

On JBoard I saw the same thing about Anderson, but not the stuff about Lara. Thanks!

ETA: The JBoard poster also said in rehearsal, Steele was in the red with not a single correct answer.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

To think she actually won after all that!

Thanks for posting the comment.

Edited by rcc

From that article:

Cohen won’t be deterred from hamming it up.

Huh? Unless he's pullling a Ken Jennings, I doubt he's still on the show, so how can current comments affect his past appearance. Unless... Hold the door! (GoT ref)

Article by former champ 17 Things No One Tells You About Being on Jeopardy

You remember everything you get wrong and almost nothing you get right.

That is totally true.  To this day, I still remember the wrong answers but not the ones I answered correctly.

won $38,801 (pretax) on the holy grail of trivia games, and since then, it’s formed the basis of about 80% of conversations I have with friends, family, dates, enemies, former classmates, dogs, strangers, and co-workers

Heh, that is true.  You really never stop talking about it.  And, its not like I bring it up (that much) - but if I'm with a friend in a group, they will mention it eventually.

• Love 7