Type keyword(s) to search

What is...In the Media?

Sharpie66
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

When does taping of the new season begin?  Has there been any news on how Alex is doing?  

I can't believe I forgot to include this in my report from Trivia Nationals! We learned that they're already about 20 episodes into taping and that Alex is doing really well.

• Love 14

He's been so inspiring in his interviews.

BTW, I have a question about this:

Trebek, 79, has been the host of "Jeopardy!" since it was revived in 1984.

Was Jeopardy off the air until 1984? That's NOT before my time, but I don't remember.

5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Was Jeopardy off the air until 1984? That's NOT before my time, but I don't remember.

The original daytime version debuted on NBC on March 30, 1964, and aired until January 3, 1975. A weekly nighttime syndicated edition aired from September 1974 to September 1975, and a revival, The All-New Jeopardy!, ran on NBC from October 1978 to March 1979. The current version, a daily syndicated show produced by Sony Pictures Television, premiered on September 10, 1984.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

CNN is reporting on an interview Alex Trebek gave to a Canadian broadcaster. His health doesn't sound good and he allows that his time as Jeopardy! host may be coming to an end. He also says he regrets going public with his diagnosis because he doesn't have the time or energy to deal with all the people who are looking to him for hope and inspiration.

No info yet on a possible replacement. They should just shut the show down for a few years rather than botch the selection of someone to take over for Alex. You KNOW they will blow that.

• Love 1

Here's the CTV interview (there are video links included; the total piece is about 20 minutes long) in which Alex says he'll keep doing the show until his skills diminish to the point he's bothered by his performance (and that he's in constant communication with the producers about what's happening, like having trouble enunciating because the chemo has caused mouth sores) and that there are moments he has some regrets about going public with his diagnosis and becoming the de facto spokesperson for people with pancreatic cancer. 

But there's a lot more than that, and it's not at all a dire interview.  He goes into some detail about his treatments and reiterates that he's not afraid of dying (other than the possibility of dying before becoming a grandfather, joking "hint hint" to his kids in the other room).  There's also a look back at his career trajectory and a bit about his continued support of his alma mater and some charities he's been long involved with.  And a nice moment when he talks about how proud he is of his kids for being more compassionate than he was at their age (there's extended talk about his family, but that was my favorite moment).

As usual, he's simultaneously honest and upbeat -- he's still working, still fixing things around the house, still traveling, still doing his charitable work, and he'll just keep chugging along with treatment until he either wins or loses.

• Love 15

There's a clip on facebook about the reason the TOC contestants are wearing purple ribbons.  It's a symbol for the fight against pancreatic cancer, and Alex says it's in honor/memory of Larry Martin, who died of it shortly after winning last year's Teacher's Tournament.  Also Gilbert says it's for Alex and all fighting this disease.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

A primetime Brad, Ken & James tournament will air in January. 

But the GOAT tournament will be anything but typical: It consists of a series of two back-to-back games, airing weeknights (8 EST/PST) beginning Jan. 7. The player with the most combined winnings from the two games wins the “match,” and the play continues on successive nights (except Monday) until one of them has won three matches and takes home a $1 million prize. (The other finishers get $250,000 apiece). That means the tournament can last anywhere from three to seven days.

ETA:  Tweet:

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

Here's the Jeopardy.com link for "The Greatest of All Time" event.

“Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time” will air [on ABC] as follows:
·       TUESDAY, JANUARY 7 (8-9 p.m. EST)
·       WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 8 (8-9 p.m. EST)
·       THURSDAY, JANUARY 9 (8-9 p.m. EST) 
·       *FRIDAY, JANUARY 10 (8-9 p.m. EST)
·       *TUESDAY, JANUARY 14 (8-9 p.m. EST)
·       *WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 15 (8-9 p.m. EST)
·       *THURSDAY, JANUARY 16 (8-9 p.m. EST)
*If necessary.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

This is marvelous. Should be a James sweep in 3 nights. I can't wait. The "All Star Tournament" was a terribly convoluted mess. This 3-way head-to-head-to-head will be epic. And in primetime! I can't wait for James to wipe the floor with Jennings and Brad.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I can't wait for James to wipe the floor with Jennings and Brad.

Well, actually don't wipe the floor with Ken, but I finally want Brad to get beaten by a person, not a computer! Oh, wait, James is almost a computer!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, opus said:

Still hoping Ken, Brad , and James announce the money is going to pancreatic cancer research.

Trebek's annual salary is $10 million. That's 10 million dollars every year. His net worth is $50 million. I hope he is and has been donating to research, although I've never heard or seen anything about that.

• Love 2

So speaking of Ken Jennings, his side gig, GSN's "Best Ever Trivia Show," is apparently rebranding as "Master Minds," and is currently casting for its second season.  Just in case anyone is interested in trying out.

News story about it here, including a link to the casting website.

You have to be available for filming in February 2020.  I have a conflict for much of that month, otherwise I might be tempted to apply.  I didn't really think much of the show, but I'm not averse to potentially winning some money! 😀

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Sudbury! Nickel capital of the world, with a giant nickel statue to prove it.

That is hilarious. I wonder if there is an Everything's Five Cents store there to keep with the theme. Nickel coffee on Sundays would be cool. And we do have another Roadside Attraction poster here. *waves hi*

• Love 1

Has anyone speculated that Alex will be announcing his retirement at the conclusion of the January 9 game series, and that he'll also be announcing his successor (who will likely be one of the three contestants)? If not, color me speculating.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ABay said:

If I recall right, others here are also fans of Roadside America? Roadtrip!

I'm in!  I'm thinking of Baltimore next year and RA tells me there's a *new* Muffler Man, built by that crazy man of Virginia (creator of Foamhenge) Mark Cline. I HAVE to go see it. It's a cowboy with an ice cream cone in the style of the Muffler Men.

Now that I have a passport card, I'm happy to visit Canada - pilgrimage to the Trebek childhood home?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Now that I have a passport card, I'm happy to visit Canada - pilgrimage to the Trebek childhood home?

Is there a sign outside of Sudbury announcing this, or one at his childhood home, like there is here for Ronald Reagan? Very cool, if so, and worthy of photos.

Side note: The Reagan home is lacking funds and might have to close.

• Love 1