Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E04: Paddlesmash; FairyTail; Monosuit, Beuna Papa

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

The Sharks are presented with investment opportunities that include a portable outdoor game that combines pickleball and Spikeball, a pet-sitting service for weddings and events, a high-fashion bodysuit, and gourmet made-to-order French fries.

With any luck, we'll get to see some cute dogs this week. 

• Like 2

Season 15, episode 4, 20 October

Sharks-Mark, Kevin, Lori, Barbara, Robert

Paddlesmash-Combines Pickleball and Smashball. Tim and Scott want $250k for 10% of their company.   Two vs. two over the net, no pickleball court, can be played anywhere.   Mark passed on Spikeball.   They're not the inventors of the game.They both sold previous companies to big toy and game companies, and were looking for another business.   They pay a royalty to the inventor.   Retail is $200 for the equipment, and $55 to manufacture.  Game comes with 2 balls, 4 paddles, and the net.  Sales are $700k in 9 months. 

They're at break even, started with direct to consumer.   They sell though the biggest sports stores in the U.S.   They want to increase inventory, and help with marketing. Kevin makes an offer for 20%, Mark and Robert own a Pickleball team, and offer $250k for 20%, Kevin goes to 15%.  

Deal with Mark and Robert. 

Fairytail Pet Care-Your dog's plus one.  Franchised service that helps pet parents include their pets in their weddings, and other events. 75k for 10%, Kelly and Alana. 

They transport the pets to the venue, take care of them,.  they come on the show with a wonderful assortment of dogs.   They do everything from round trip transportation, attire rentals, take care of the dog throughout the event.    Three hour minimum for one dog at $600.   

They have some franchises.    $12,500 franchise fees for each region, with 9% royalties for gross sales.    14 franchises the first year.  $123k the first year.   Gross sales for all of the franchises, $80k, plus $123k for the Tampa area where the sellers are.   They only accept about 4% of the franchise applicants.

Robert is out, business is too small.  Lori says the same thing, and she's out.    Mark is out, too small scale.   Barbara is out.     Barbara makes an offer, 75K for 25%.    Kevin offers 75k for 33 1/3%.    

Barbara makes the deal at 22% for 75k. The sellers are focused on franchising, and Barbara will be a great partner for that.   

Monosuit-Unisex jumpsuits. Sustainably produced jumpsuits.  ( I hate jumpsuits, so I'm out. I don't see skin tight jumpsuits being a real fashion trend.)  Ecofriendly production, 150k for 5%.   zipper in the back for potty time.   

They make sneakers and dresses, gloves too.  $290 per jumpsuit, cost $60 to produce.  made from recycled ocean waste.  1 year sale $245k.      They do two collections per year.  The sell the monosuits, and when you get tired of it the company recycles it. 

Mark is out, too scattered of a focus.  Kevin is out. Robert is out. Barbara is out.  Lori is out.  Sharks say company is too unfocused. 

No deal. 

Buena Papa Fry Bar-An international themed French fry bar, they want to franchise. James and Johanna want $400k for 7% .  Gourmet handcut french fries.  Customers can order in Spanish or English.  There are different varieties, sweet potato and regular potato fries.   Latin food oriented.   They opened in Raleigh NC, in 2021.  Cost $3.50 per plate, $13 customer price, margins are 72%.   

Stores sell $1 - 2 million in sales per store.   They have four stores, open four franchises with royalty fees, and a franchise fee.   Lori is out, she doesn't want to expand the business too fast.  Mark is out. Kevin is out.  Barbara says they don't need a partner.  Robert is interested, but dislikes the valuation of $5.7 million.   Robert wants 20% and $400k.  (I think if they franchise the way Cousins lobster did, but avoid going wild putting up stores the way Tom and Chee did, they could make it. Robert will be a great partner for them).

Deal with Robert, $400k for 19%. 

Update:  Moink meat delivery service with Jamie from Ring. They survived Covid with help from a lot of volunteers.   They employ 22 of the 97 residents in their city.  

Top 15 Shark companies :  6. The Comfy 5. Cousins Maine Lobster ,  4.  The Bouqs Co. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

Do tons of people really want to rent dogs for their wedding? That is just so bizarre to me. I guess I could see having your own dog but does it have to have a bride/groom mate? I wouldn’t spend $600 for that and who watches the dog during the wedding?

The jumpsuits were unattractive to me and I don’t see where you would wear them. And no one is going to wear it for years and then send it back to the company. Then the lady was upset that the judges were concerned about making money: has she seen this show?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I thought the dog service was to wrangle your own pet during the ceremony and reception. Seems frivolous to me but I guess that’s why I’m no entrepreneur. 

I couldn’t understand the monosuit woman. I kind of liked the catsuits. I wish I was young again and could eat French fries as a meal.

for me, an episode without kids is a good one. 

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Do tons of people really want to rent dogs for their wedding? That is just so bizarre to me. I guess I could see having your own dog but does it have to have a bride/groom mate? I wouldn’t spend $600 for that and who watches the dog during the wedding?

The jumpsuits were unattractive to me and I don’t see where you would wear them. And no one is going to wear it for years and then send it back to the company. Then the lady was upset that the judges were concerned about making money: has she seen this show?

The $600 was for watching your own dog during the whole event in addition to taking dog down the aisle.  Three hour minimum with additional per extra hour. This was just idiotic. I am a dog lover and a dog owner but I wouldn’t take my dog to my wedding.  Such a childish Anyway seems you could hire a local dog walker for much less money. 
The hideous monosuit dance and song went on far too long.  And I think the leader actually showed her ass crack when unzipping the suit. Quelle horreur. 
I was actually intrigued by the recycling idea, but they cut her off before she could explain it. There’s nothing proprietary about jumpsuits with a zipper in the back. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

7 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I thought the dog service was to wrangle your own pet during the ceremony and reception. Seems frivolous to me but I guess that’s why I’m no entrepreneur. 

I think its for where the couple want their pet as part of their wedding. From what I understood, it looks like the company sends out a person to the wedding who will basically babysit the pet at the wedding so that a guest or family member doesn't have to be stuck taking care of them isntead. I'm not sure if this meant that the person would be walking down the aisle with the pet as well. 

Edited by tired and hungry
  • Like 1

Are Pickleball and Padel Tennis the same? I've heard Padel being quite popular recently.

Unfortunately I could not understand most of what the monosuit lady was singing. It was nice that she was using recycled ocean waste to make her suits but I think she would get knocked off very quickly. I feel like monosuits would already exist on skims or similar brands. I didn't hear her mention if she had a patent on the design or placement of the zipper.

I guess I misunderstood the Fairy Tails , probably because their Instagram talks about dogs or cats at your wedding being “adoptable”. Either way, ridiculous. I liked the potato people, there used to be a place in all the food courts where you could get potatoes with toppings but I haven’t seen it in years. There are also a lack of malls these days so maybe food trucks would be a better investment.

• Like 1

I really disliked the monsuit song/presentation.  But, of course, the Sharks applauded and told her how good the song was.  Whatever.  Oh, and I may be old and cranky, but I don't want to see that much of people, and the woman wearing the brown/gold suit had serious camel toe issues.  Oh, and the presenter did show her butt crack and I can't believe the editors made me look at it. 

The dog wedding service is very frivolous to me.  I think it would be overwhelming for many dogs to even be in that situation-especially with someone handling them that they never met before. 

The papa fries looked good and I liked the couple.  I think arenas will be their sweet spot.

Liked the update on the meat company.

I don't get the appeal of pickle ball (and lots of people in my subdivision play it as we have an indoor court), but the smash ball people will probably do well until the next sports/game trend comes in.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I really disliked the monsuit song/presentation.  But, of course, the Sharks applauded and told her how good the song was.  Whatever.  Oh, and I may be old and cranky, but I don't want to see that much of people, and the woman wearing the brown/gold suit had serious camel toe issues.  Oh, and the presenter did show her butt crack and I can't believe the editors made me look at it. 

Oh I thought the presenter was wearing some kind of a layer underneath the monosuit. Seemed like a pair of nude biker shorts or something so she could demo undoing the zipper and not actually show her butt. 

I didn't really see anything that wild on the orange suit lady but I agree since the suit was so skintight, their top halves were jiggling a bit too much when they were dancing at the start of the pitch. I assumed they all must have atleast been wearing some form of underwear and don't think they'd be totally commando for doing a business deal on national tv...

• Like 7

Someone in my office was talking about Padel recently. It’s a bit different from pickle ball. It’s played in a walled court, as best as I can tell

Monosuit lyrics. I would not have understood them either but I use closed captions for everything. It helps!  

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, tired and hungry said:

Oh I thought the presenter was wearing some kind of a layer underneath the monosuit. Seemed like a pair of nude biker shorts or something so she could demo undoing the zipper and not actually show her butt.

She was definitely wearing some nude tights or shapewear or something. Her "song" was completely bonkers, but she absolutely didn't show asscrack on TV.

I don't understand Mark. He's a vegan, but he eats whatever meat- and dairy-laden samples presenters hand out? That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. I'm a vegetarian, and I never, ever eat meat, not even to "sample".

Barbara's face is highly distracting. Her mouth is stretched so wide. She's 74, and whatever camera filters they're using make her look like she has no wrinkles. It's uncanny valley.

She posted this heavily edited photo in May.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Csbu5-KrrqG/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Is she contractually obligated to mention Cousins Maine Lobster on every episode?

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I don't understand Mark. He's a vegan, but he eats whatever meat- and dairy-laden samples presenters hand out? That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. I'm a vegetarian, and I never, ever eat meat, not even to "sample".

I think most of the sharks just eat or atleast try a few bites of the food since its part of the pitch. Lori has mentioned many times before she doesn't eat certain types of foods but she seems to always try everything in food pitches. Same for Kevin, he has said he doesn't eat red meat but also eats the food that is presented. 

Guess that's why the sharks don't like that so many food businesses come to the tank. For the sake of the pitch they have try the food that they don't normally eat and say the food was "so delicious"

I wonder if they cut some of the jumpsuit woman's pitch, because they seemed to really not like her and I couldn't figure out why. Just because she believes in recycling it means she isn't focused on her business?

I was at a wedding where the couple had there dog in the ceremony. But they had a groomsman walk it down the aisle and then I think after had their regular dog walker take it home. Because lots of people already have dog walkers/dog sitters, why would you need to specialize in watching dogs at weddings? And if you wanted to do that, why on earth would you pay a franchise fee instead of just doing it on your own? So dumb, I can't believe the Sharks thought it was a good idea.

39 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I don't get that either. I'm also a vegetarian and if I was on this show I'd say I couldn't try their product and wasn't going to invest because I don't eat meat and don't want to be in the meat business. But maybe that's why I am not a Shark. And maybe he is one of those people who just tries to eat Vegan most of the time, but doesn't really care about cheating?

• Like 3

I wonder about Mark trying everything too. I’ve been a vegetarian since I was a child so I would never try meat or seafood; but I never understand why you can’t invest in something if you don’t eat it. I know they say they can’t be passionate about something unless they could personally eat/use it but I’m sure they don’t use 90% of what they invest in anyway.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

Unfortunately I could not understand most of what the monosuit lady was singing.

You should be saying "Fortunately, I could not understand most of what the monosuit lady was horribly attempting to rap."

It wasn't worth hearing.

As soon as she walked out in the hideous pink thing I was thinking "this better not get a deal," and that was before she even started prancing around and doing her awful oration. For once, the snarks agreed with me which rarely happens (although it is no surprise that Lori said the one with cutouts was her style).

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

That was just a god awful rap attempt in every way for monosuit woman. I couldn't understand it.  It was bad and it had no rhythm at all

I liked the dog wedding thing but franchising such a small business is crazy

God I hate pickleball. 

Papa buena....it just doesn't sound that good. I get it but I've never been big on the loaded fries idea.  

• Like 2
21 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I wonder if they cut some of the jumpsuit woman's pitch, because they seemed to really not like her and I couldn't figure out why. Just because she believes in recycling it means she isn't focused on her business?

I was at a wedding where the couple had there dog in the ceremony. But they had a groomsman walk it down the aisle and then I think after had their regular dog walker take it home. Because lots of people already have dog walkers/dog sitters, why would you need to specialize in watching dogs at weddings? And if you wanted to do that, why on earth would you pay a franchise fee instead of just doing it on your own? So dumb, I can't believe the Sharks thought it was a good idea.

I don't get that either. I'm also a vegetarian and if I was on this show I'd say I couldn't try their product and wasn't going to invest because I don't eat meat and don't want to be in the meat business. But maybe that's why I am not a Shark. And maybe he is one of those people who just tries to eat Vegan most of the time, but doesn't really care about cheating?

I know a lot of people have their wedding party or family/friends take care of their pet for the weddding. I wouldn't have been able to have my dogs in my wedding. Whenever I would be out with my dogs, my focus was on them and keeping them safe. So it would be too much of a distraction. I took my dogs everywhere with me if it was dog friendly or if they would get something out of the outing, dependent on weather of course. Otherwise I left them at home where they would be safe.

If Sharks started sticking with their dietary restrictions and being vocal about it, might give entrepreneurs something to think about before they try out for the show. If they know that a majority of the sharks have restrictions, their chances of getting a deal would be slim.

22 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Because lots of people already have dog walkers/dog sitters, why would you need to specialize in watching dogs at weddings?

Edited by SG429
After seeing the show some of them are probably already updating their websites.
  • LOL 3
On 10/21/2023 at 11:13 AM, bilgistic said:

I think that one of two things happens.  Either they bring him a vegan version to eat, or he's not a strict vegan.  I worked with someone like that who was mostly vegan, but would make exceptions in some cases.

On Dragon's Den in Canada, one of the dragons is a vegetarian and food presenters always have a vegetarian option when possible, or she just says that she won't be able to sample their product.

Barbara's face is highly distracting. Her mouth is stretched so wide. She's 74, and whatever camera filters they're using make her look like she has no wrinkles. It's uncanny valley.

I don't like to comment on people's appearances, but I really noticed her face while watching this episode.  She fully owns her two face lifts on the Instagram link.  I see these overdone faces (a few come to mind as I type) and all I can think is: "You are really not fooling anybody and I bet that you would honestly look so much better if you just left your face alone." But people are allowed to spend their money any way they like.

I think that the monosuit lady should just focus on selling her brand of clothing that recycles ocean waste.  She should push that agenda on social media.  As for the monosuit - meh - I think that she should focus on making other clothing items with a wider range of buyers.

I've never played pickleball, but I would be interested in trying it, since I've played tennis and badminton.  Paddlesmash might be fun too.

I cannot fathom spending more money to have my dog babysat at my  wedding then I spent on my actual dress, but that's just me...

• Like 1
On 10/21/2023 at 9:01 AM, seacliffsal said:

Liked the update on the meat company.

Absolutely loved the update. It's so great when a company ends up doing good for itself and helps start a revitalization of the the whole town.

On 11/2/2023 at 2:15 PM, aemom said:

I don't like to comment on people's appearances, but I really noticed her face while watching this episode.  She fully owns her two face lifts on the Instagram link.  I see these overdone faces (a few come to mind as I type) and all I can think is: "You are really not fooling anybody and I bet that you would honestly look so much better if you just left your face alone." But people are allowed to spend their money any way they like.

There sure was a world of difference between that heavily edited photo and what she looks like "IRL" on the show. Her face now no longer looks normal. I'm guessing that it's having gotten a second facelift that messed up her look so much.

On 10/21/2023 at 3:19 PM, Madding crowd said:

I wonder about Mark trying everything too. I’ve been a vegetarian since I was a child so I would never try meat or seafood; but I never understand why you can’t invest in something if you don’t eat it. I know they say they can’t be passionate about something unless they could personally eat/use it but I’m sure they don’t use 90% of what they invest in anyway.

I can give you a reason why! Many many years ago I had a chance to invest in what wanted to become a franchise Chinese delivery concept, like how Dominos was for pizza. Everything sounded great, we toured the flagship location, and then we tried the food. It was awful. The location went out of business in short order, and from doing a search, it appears that there is only one location nationwide.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1