Type keyword(s) to search

The Musketeers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved it myself although I thought Louis was an ass for wanting D'artagnan to kill the guy he promised to set free. I agree that Constance's look this season is horrendous. From the hair to the clothes, blah.

On a side note, we got a message from our cable company that said WGN will no longer allow them to carry BBC America as of February 1st. First of all that pissed me off immensely because this is the ONLY show that I watch on that network and what the hell does WGN have to do with BBC America?

Edited by missbonnie

Ah, Milady.  I was wondering how they were going to find a way to get her back into the foil, and she certainly picked the biggest way possible: save Louis (twice, none the less), and then he'll just pardon on her crimes.  That's one way to do it.  The show-off between her and D'Artagnan was fun, but I'm really curious to see what this will mean for Athos.  We didn't get much time for his reaction, but I have to think he can not be happy about this development.

So, it seems like Rochefort's plan is basically waiting for one of the Musketeers to slight Louis in some way, and he just simply does the opposite, and get himself into Louis' good graces.  Simple, but effective so far.  And I have to think him convincing Anne to sign that letter to support her bro, is going to be coming back into play.

Oh, Aramis.  Pretending to romance the queen's babysitter or whoever she is, in order to get to see your son.  I don't see this ending well either.

Next week: Colin Salmon!

Even if they had extra guns in their pockets, there were a lot of gunshots.

It did seem like a lot of shots, but so many people were shooting from Gus's side, I couldn't tell what came from where. There was the earlier comment to Louis about making his shot count, so they haven't totally abandoned the nature of those guns.

Louis blaming the Musketeers for his own choice was understandable -- he couldn't admit making such a huge mistake -- but I liked him taking part in the fight. His indebtedness to Lady DeWinter should be interesting. I wonder if there will be any other lasting effect (toward his subjects) due to his experience.

I'm not sure I believe D'Artagnan could get away with speaking to the king that way. Whatever they'd been through, it seemed awfully insolent.

Also not sure about Rochefort keeping the queen's letter. If she asks for it back, I suppose he could say he destroyed it. I really don't want Anne to get in trouble for it. Not having seen the beginning of her relationship with Rochefort, I'm having difficulty understanding her level of trust in him.

As for her confidence in Constance, Anne said she'd heard a lot from D'Artagnan about her, so there's some "adopted" familiarity, I guess. That comment isn't that different from Anne telling about her connection with Rochefort, but I've seen more of Constance, so I can accept it more easily. Still, I'd also like to see more between the women to warrant the connection -- and I like the idea of their friendship, so I just want to see more anyway.

I don't know what to make of Aramis. Trying to see his son just seems dangerous and stupid, even if the desire is understandable. They're really floating a lot of precarious situations.

I thought this a plodding, rather tedious episode.    I couldn't fathom why it took the other 3/4 of the candy bar so long to get to the slavers' camp.   Even after the crooked blacksmith tells them the camp is but a mile south -- and time is of the essence here -- the Musketeers pause to tend to his wounds!   So many captured/recaptured scenes.   I couldn't wait for it to end.

They shouldn't make D'Artagnan the focus of any whole episode.   He hasn't the credibility or the charisma to carry it.

I entered this episode under the erroneous impression that it was the first episode of the second season, so I spent the better part of the show trying to figure out how things had changed so much without any explanation ... Constance in the Queen's court ... Sting as the new bad guy ...  the Queen's baby already born (I kept imagining the infant with a little Van Dyke) ... Aramis wooing the nanny ...  It wasn't until I signed into this forum that I learned I'd been duped.

It appears the writers decided they had humanized Louis too much and took it all back in the last scenes.   He's a loathsome fellow.    It makes my skin crawl a bit to see Milady De Winter cozy up to him.   

So glad she's back this season, though.    I'd watch a whole series about her adventures.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

I gather they are setting up an affair between Louis and Milady ... which will free up Anne for Aramis.

I agree, we haven't seen much of Athos so far. I'm waiting for the storyline about Porthos's father, too.

I didn't care for the nanny. She didn't seem to like the baby all that much.

I gather they are setting up an affair between Louis and Milady ... which will free up Anne for Aramis.

The king having an affair wouldn't free Anne for anyone. Louis is clearly getting out of hand without the Cardinal's restraining influence, but while a king may have as many mistresses as he pleases, his wife may not - no matter what Louis does, if Anne were found to be having any kind of affair with anyone, that's treason and both parties would be summarily executed.

Hence why Aramis mooning over the baby is so dangerous, for all concerned.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2

The 1973 movie will always be the #1 for me. I am also a huge fan of the book, and enjoy how Lester used the peasants and other extras to get digs in against the royalty. Dumas was a socially conscious writer, and the 3/4 Musketeers used it.

HATED the 1993 version. Cheese and mustache twirling and no humor.

the 2011 was intriguing but not interesting.

Which brings me to this new one: I'm enjoying it a lot. The cast is spot on, although, really, Aramis was written as a dandy. As brilliant as Oliver Reed was as Athos, I don't know if he'd be as enjoyable a character with Reed's energy sustained, over the length of a whole series. I fear by episode 9, there'd be self-parody.

Not sure how I feel about various plot changes, but they've got a whole season or two to fill out. I'm also not sure how I feel about the Musketeers being translated as some early version of Special Forces/CIA-type stuff, but I guess the producers need to keep up with the times.

• Love 1

I find his mooning somewhat anachronistic.   His sensitivity seems too modern a conceit.   Aramis was a soldier in the 17th century, and from what we have seen, something of a ladies' man as well.   He must have bastards all over Paris.   Yet he gets all mushy over this one?  Bah.

• Love 1

It's the same time slot as last season - 9pm - but airing on a different night, Friday instead of Sunday. Last season they weren't expecting to air after the watershed, though, so pitched the content slightly younger; this season they know when and where they are airing, so can pitch accordingly - we'll find out soon enough what difference it makes!

Does BBC schedule like American networks by putting shows on Friday to either die or do just good enough to not worry about replacing?

Even with the only witnesses being his Musketeers and a few of the Red Guard after showing the King Louis not to be a total ass the years before having him renege on clemency just seemed very wrong

Another episode with too many ingredients.

I would never claim to be an historical expert on this time period ... but, did it seem to anyone else like there were a lot of guns? One of the things I liked about the first season was they showed how ineffectual guns were, because you had to stop and reload after every shot. Tonight, it seemed like they had revolvers. I counted a lot of shots and no one reloaded. Even if they had extra guns in their pockets, there were a lot of gunshots.

I want swords. Musketeers are synonymous with swords.

And the pistol muskets are as accurate as a scoped sniper rifle. 

. I'm also not sure how I feel about the Musketeers being translated as some early version of Special Forces/CIA-type stuff, but I guess the producers need to keep up with the times.

On Spike TV's Deadliest Warrior series they pretty much said that the Musketeers were the US Army Rangers of their era. being a TV series they also serve as a gendarme force to bring in conflict with civilians so they also have the SWAT responsibilities. The undercover CIA stuff, well 10 hours need to be filled and identification and cover stories would be easier to pass in their era.

I wish the nanny (still don't know her name) and Rochefort would just leave my TV screen. The nanny is just plain stupid and Rochefort as a villain is so cartoonish that it's not even funny.

I love Ryan Gage but I wish Anne would smother Louis in his sleep. He is absolutely useless without the Cardinal. I felt for Anne when she was talking to Constance about her marriage. I like her much better when she acts like a human and not like a queen.

Oh Aramis. I was facepalming through the whole episode. I don't care for the nanny but that was awful to watch. Then he blew Anne's cover (sort of) and made out with her at a place where anyone could walk in on them. He is still my favourite, so I forgive him. Plus I ship Aramis/Anne so...

I never thought I would root for Milady/Athos but I do. I hated Milady last season and now she is the highlight of every episode. The little encounter she had with Athos was brilliant. And her dresses are just fabulous (Btw. Anne's first dress were fabulous too).

The rest of the epidoe was quite meh. As an atheist I don't really enjoy religious topics but I understand that it's a part of the time period the show is set in. I felt bad for Emilie but she has only herself (and her mother) to blame.

Edited by Asha124
  • Love 1

A lot of things happened in this episode; I'm glad the Spanish ambassador is gone. It's getting intensely melodramatic now that Milady is the King's mistress. She loves Athos too in her own crazy way. Rochefort is blackmailing the Nanny who is having an affair with the Queen's real love Aramis. Not to mention Rochefort's Queen fetish.

I find Rochefort's cartoonish villainy funny. I like how he's chewing the scenery. He's such a creep.

Treville being sacked was signalled in the first episode when he refused the King and Queen for the promotion. Sigh.

• Love 2

Great seeing Colin Salmon as Tariq, even though I knew his character was totally going to be a goner.  At least he took out the bad guys and didn't let the cipher fall in Spain's hands.  Of course, that's not enough for Louis, so he continues to get pissed at The Musketeers, and Rochefort continues to court favor without even trying.

Ah, Rochefort.  That scene with the prostitute explains a lot.  Sure, some of this is the game, but he really does have the hots for Anne. Really bringing the creepy in that scene, and when he declares his "love" for her.

Agree that the Constance/Anne stuff would have been much better if they actually spent time developing their relationship.  But, it feels like their relationship has barely started, so it was just jarring that Constance was willing to risk her life like she did, and Anne felt so betrayed when she thought she kidnapped her baby.  Then again, I have to think there was a simple solution to this.  It just felt like her going all the way out and risking treason, was a bit much.

Milday's already got Louis under her spell(and, um, probably other parts.)  She was looking extra good tonight, so I'm not complaining.

I also agree that it was surprisingly light on the actual Musketeers.  Porthos had the most to do, and we did see how Aramis is losing his edge, but that was about it.  I still want them to get into Athos' reaction to Milady's return.  After everything last season, he has to be steaming over this.

• Love 1

I keep wanting to tell Rochefort to button up his shirt. That open neck in court when nobody else is wearing one doesn't say he's too powerful to go his own way with regard to fashion, it doesn't say he's too manly to fit into a regular shirt, it's just vulgar. I half expect to see gold chains and medallions nestled in his chest hair. Of course, that flash forward to Mafioso/gangsta vulgarity is probably the point, but still....

One kind of subtle thing I liked about this episode: It's the second time in a row they've gotten the court physician along side, with allusions to respect for his learning and his respect for honest inquiry coming from all kinds of places. Last week he freely acknowledged Contance's idea of steam helping the Dauphine's croup; this week, he had no problem with the idea of there being something in the soup, but only questions how he could go about testing that. 

Could anybody tell anything about next week's episode from the previews? As far as I'm concerned, they might as well have cobbled together a bunch of action shots from the next six weeks. It almost made me wonder if they had even finished putting the episode together yet.

• Love 2

Rochefort is creepy, but in a cartoon character sort of way. He needs a mustache to twirl.

Another episode with too many ingredients, imho.

Btw, that library looked familiar. Is that where the Doctor and Rose fought off the werewolf?

Btw, that library looked familiar. Is that where the Doctor and Rose fought off the werewolf?

No. The Musketeers were filmed in the Czech Republic. The library is in Strahov monastery (Prague).

I'm a little behind here, but finally got around to seeing this ep. Overall, I'm not especially impressed. The boys are still fun, but IMO they're sidelined too much for contrived court intrigues and unremarkable adventures. I find it annoying and predictable that, for two episodes in a row, the King (who's apparently regressed to a four-year-old) gets upset at the Musketeers for something that isn't necessarily their fault. Rochefort takes advantage of it to suck up to the King (never mind the King has basically just met him while knowing some of the Musketeers for years) while mumbling incomprehensible schemes with the nearest Spaniard.

I dunno. We'll see how the rest of the season goes. Though having a Capaldi-shaped hole in the show doesn't help IMO.

• Love 1

the King (who's apparently regressed to a four-year-old)

Though having a Capaldi-shaped hole in the show doesn't help IMO.

The writing on this show was always a little clunky, but the charm and chemistry of the actors generally elevates it. As for this season and this episode, the two facts you've mentioned above are definitely linked. Louis was completely dependent on Richelieu and had been since he became king as a young boy. Now that Richelieu is gone, Louis is getting completely out of hand and there is, quite literally, no one in the country at this point capable of reining him in. The cardinal always said France and the king needed him, and for all his scheming and plotting, it turns out he was absolutely right!

As for Rochefort, he has an advantage over the Musketeers. They are hamstrung by actually wanting to do the right and honourable thing at all turns, whereas he is completely in it for what he can get. All he has to do is either do the opposite of whatever they do, or simply do whatever Louis bids whether it's sensible or decent or not. He's not interested in the long-term well-being of the country or the king or anything like that. He's just courting favour for his own sake.

It doesn't help, though, that Marc Warren is playing him in such a one-note manner - I'm not sure why, I know he can do better.

When Athos is kidnapped and taken back to his estate of Pinon, the Musketeers go in search of him and find themselves in the middle of a battle against a nobleman, the Baron Renard. Baron Renard is shocked by Athos’ decision to reject his nobility and is determined to seize the land for himself. As the Musketeers train the people of Pinon in combat and defend them against multiple attacks, Athos is forced to confront his past, when he encounters an old friend whose life was ruined by his actions years ago.

BBC1: February 13, 2015

BBCA: February 15, 2015.

This show is becoming something to idly watch on demand while eating dinner.   Pretty to look at, not very filling.

Every episode seems to lack cohesion.   The Musketeers are rarely together anymore.   The writers keep singling one out for plot prominence leaving the rest to aimlessly play catch-up.  The King now seems a more prominent character than any of the Musketeers.   Treville has a permanent what-the-fuck-am-I-doing-here look on his face.

The Queen has become useless.  Constance doesn't know what to do with herself.   Milady de Winter's delicious evilness is being squandered on the silly subplot with Louis.   This is a woman who kept even Richelieu looking over his shoulder; now she's just a bawdy temptress hiding under the bed   (And someone please explain to me how you murder someone for her dress and leave not a drop of blood upon it.)

I watch the show because it's there.   If it vanished tomorrow it would be no great loss.

(And someone please explain to me how you murder someone for her dress and leave not a drop of blood upon it.)

You threaten her with the knife, force her to strip at knife-point, and then kill her.

Milady is playing a long game with the king. When Richelieu was her patron she had powerful backing, without that backing life isn't so easy, so she's set her aim a little higher this time. She isn't just a bawdry temptress - she's playing that role in order to win Louis over, because once firmly established as the king's favourite mistress, she will wield a hell of a lot of influence. She's still as ambitious as ever.

I'm still really enjoying the show. It isn't perfect, but it never was. It's a lot of fun and always has been.

• Love 1

You threaten her with the knife, force her to strip at knife-point, and then kill her.

Thank you, I hadn't considered that possibility.

I agree the show has never been perfect, but I feel strongly that it is significantly less perfect this season.   

Rochefort is a terrible addition.   His ludicrous presence detracts from every scene he's in.   

My suggestion: more Musketeers, less everybody else.

• Love 2

Hehe. Clearly I have a far more murderous turn of mind than you do!

I agree about Rochefort. I'm disappointed because I usually really enjoy Marc Warren's work, but the decision to play Rochefort on a single note all season so far was a really bad move. On paper, I appreciate a lot of what they are trying to do with the character - he's the antithesis of Richelieu in so many ways. The Cardinal had many faults, but he genuinely believed that everything he did was for the good of France and the king. Rochefort's allegiance, on the other hand, is always kept murky, and he mostly seems to be out for his own interests. He indulges Louis, where Richelieu kept him firmly in check. He sucks up at court to further his own career, he's played at being a double- and triple-agent, he's obsessed with the queen...all this should make the character really interesting and compelling! But the execution just isn't coming off, and I think a lot of that is down to the performance, which never varies. If Warren were bringing more animation and nuance to his performance - and I can't tell whether he's been told to play it this way, or is choosing to play it this way - I think I'd appreciate the character a whole lot more.

I do really like that we're seeing more of the Musketeers as individuals this season, but would prefer to also see them working together more! Also, someone other than Porthos needs to get injured next time, he's making a habit of it now.

Edited by Llywela

My favourite line in the episode came from Athos: "Your visions are from soup, not God."

I love Aramis, but this episode, he was nearly (nearly!) as daft as the queen. As for the queen herself, her stunt with giving Emilie an audience in the midst of a large group of haters of all things Spanish was absurd. What did she think was going to happen to her poor little boy if something happened to her? It's not like she hasn't been threatened before. That thought seemed to pop into her head only when she found herself facing a potential hanging - and encountered her baby daddy in the same tent. Then again, I like it if Anne is a bit more at the center of the action; I suppose I just like Anne. So I guess I can live with her exceptional show of stupidity.

I have to say though, it wasn't just Aramis and Anne. Everyone's game was a bit off. "Saving" the Spanish ambassador by marching him across a crowded market - really? That was the best Treville, Porthos and Athos could do? And when the angry peasant killed Emilie's mother, they didn't bat an eyelash. They are usually very quick to interfere, but for all their sympathy for Emilie, they reacted very little in this instance (not that the mother was my own most mourned character). Rochefort, however, was his old self - his caricaturesque villainy never ceases to make me giggle or roll my eyes, depending on my mood. And Louis? Sure, I am certain Milady is quite the seductress, but even so, I was surprised at how far he went to please her. I would have expected him to think she should be grateful for his affections, instead of showing her this much (material) favour, but it seems she managed to instill at least some sense of realism in his vain mind. Go Milady, I guess.

I really enjoyed Athos/Milady; and I agree with DCWash that bringing back the court surgeon was a nice touch. The man seems to have a thing for Constance, and I could see her developping a weakness for him. Not that Mme Bonacieux needs a third man in her life!

Could anybody tell anything about next week's episode from the previews? As far as I'm concerned, they might as well have cobbled together a bunch of action shots from the next six weeks. It almost made me wonder if they had even finished putting the episode together yet.

My thoughts exactly. The next episode could be about anything, really. It also felt like next week's extras were in the promo because they had been promised as much in their contracts, but it remains entirely vague what role they will play.

Edited by Marie Claudine

This has always been a problem for me, and it's squarely at the feet of Dumas himself: Milady DeWinter's name. "Milady." That's not a name, that's an informal title. Constance could get aways with saying, "Yes, milady," with a curtsy to the queen, or to any other woman of rank. Yet here she is signing letters "Milady" and there's the king going, "Well, hel-LO Milady! How YOU doin'?" and on and on. It jars and it sounds silly. Maybe it is, and always has been, a translation issue?

• Love 3

This has always been a problem for me, and it's squarely at the feet of Dumas himself: Milady DeWinter's name. "Milady." That's not a name, that's an informal title. Constance could get aways with saying, "Yes, milady," with a curtsy to the queen, or to any other woman of rank. Yet here she is signing letters "Milady" and there's the king going, "Well, hel-LO Milady! How YOU doin'?" and on and on. It jars and it sounds silly. Maybe it is, and always has been, a translation issue?

I've had much the same thought, many times.

Re-watching season one, I'm reminded of the time Milady claimed the Queen's stolen diamond pendant as her own, rather than return it via the Cardinal. I wonder if she still has it? Looking back, that tiny scene becomes a note of character continuity because she totally got a kick out of owning and wearing a necklace that belonged to the Queen - and now she has seduced the Queen's husband, the King himself. She's always been ambitious, just had to wait for the right opening to make her play for Louis.

• Love 1
more Musketeers, less everybody else

I agree.  We should get that trending on Twitter.

Thought Porthos & the girl brought Teh Sexy, so I suppose she won't be back.  I confess to watching this ep twice, and *still*, all that running back & forth had me lost.  

Louis is starting to gross me out.  He's had one great moment this season -- punching that guy in the face -- but he just ends each show in a Frank Burns-snit.

Bring back the Musketeers!!

• Love 2
This has always been a problem for me, and it's squarely at the feet of Dumas himself: Milady DeWinter's name. "Milady." That's not a name, that's an informal title.

Just as you suspect, this is a bit of a translation issue. In the French edition, she goes (among many other aliases) by Lady de Winter, because she is the widow of a young English lord from the de Winter family. She is then, half mockingly, called "Milady" by the  musketeers, who use this title to remind each other of her (in their eyes conspicuous) ties with the English, her ability to pass as an English woman although she's French, and her activity as a spy between the two countries. It's a nickname, basically. Of course, that nickname makes a lot less sense in an all-English speaking environment!

However, her signing as "Milady" or the king calling her that is just silly, and has little to do with Dumas's French original as I recall it from my teenage years!

Re-watching season one, I'm reminded of the time Milady claimed the Queen's stolen diamond pendant as her own, rather than return it via the Cardinal. I wonder if she still has it?

I've been wondering about this as well, because in the novel, Milady wreaks quite a bit of havoc with Anne's stolen jewlery. However, the plot in the novel differs considerably from that on the show, so the similarity might be purely coincidental and I might be waiting for something that will never happen at all...

Edited by Marie Claudine
  • Love 1
I find Rochefort's cartoonish villainy funny. I like how he's chewing the scenery. He's such a creep.

That's basically in the spirit of the books, no? With all the backmail.

Milady liked assassinating the ambassador. She's good at it and she knows she is.  I didn't have a problem with the religion angle since it was actually debunked. I mean, 'we don't need armor with god.' Uh, yeah you do. 

I liked that everyone had something to do. Not having Constance around as much as in S1 isn't good for me. She's a take charge woman, so hanging out in the castle all day must bore her to tears. 

• Love 1

I agree the show has never been perfect, but I feel strongly that it is significantly less perfect this season.   

Rochefort is a terrible addition.   His ludicrous presence detracts from every scene he's in.   

Your suggestion made me think of the candy bar ad in the US; the bar's advertisements also featured three men dressed as the legendary Three Musketeers to market the "45% less fat" campaign. More Musketeers, less fat.  ;)

OK, I totally get the idea of building up a villain and having him be a good thorn in the "heroes" side, but I'm really at the point where I want the Musketeers to get some kind of victory over Rochefort; even if it's a very small one.  Just getting a bit tired of the obligatory "Louis yells, berates, and punishes the Musketeers, while Rochefort stand there being a smug little creep" scenes.  Give the guys something!  Have them beat him at a poker game!  Make him trip in front of Anne.  Steal his undergarments!  Put rocks in his shoes! Anything! 

Yikes, I understand what Anne was trying to do, but her plan of going to Emile's camp with only Constance, and hoping to talk, was just a bad, bad idea.  She was lucky as hell Aramis just happened to be there undercover.  You really need to think your plans through, Anne.  I respect the effort and gumption, but you really need to work on your execution.

Poor Treville.  I wonder if he out of the Musketeers for good, or if he'll still be around in some capacity.  At least they are going somewhere with Porthos finding out he's hiding something, so he at least has to stick around for that.

Glad we finally got an Athos/Milady face-off.  Milday is still pretty smug and sitting pretty, but we'll see if Rochefort will continue to knock some of that out of her or not, now that he knows all about her past.

• Love 2

I'm not sure Rochefort knows everything about Milady. I don't think he knows about the connection to Athos.

I was distracted by the bad hair in this episode. Emilie's braids looked like clip-ons, and they didn't even match the rest of her hair. Her hair looked better after she quit drugs, which was not very subtle. And Emilie's mother's hair was like cotton candy.

I wish someone would find Anne a different pair of earrings. Those pearl chandeliers are getting old.

But, we've had a D'Artagnan episode, and now an Aramis episode (sort of), and next week looks like an Athos episode ... ?

• Love 1

OK, I totally get the idea of building up a villain and having him be a good thorn in the "heroes" side, but I'm really at the point where I want the Musketeers to get some kind of victory over Rochefort; even if it's a very small one.  Just getting a bit tired of the obligatory "Louis yells, berates, and punishes the Musketeers, while Rochefort stand there being a smug little creep" scenes.  Give the guys something!  Have them beat him at a poker game!  Make him trip in front of Anne.  Steal his undergarments!  Put rocks in his shoes! Anything!

For me, the primary difference between Richelieu and Rochefort is that while I wanted the Musketeers to beat Richelieu at his underhanded games when he moved against them, I always wanted to see more of him - he was a fascinating character with complex motivations. With Rochefort, I just spend every episode hoping for him to die by season's end, preferably with his schemes exposed. And it needn't be like that - on paper, he too should be interesting. The show has tried hard to make him mysterious, so that even when he was supposedly working for the Spanish we were never sure which side he was really on. The execution of the character has really fallen down, though - I find it hard to believe he's on any side but his own, whereas Richelieu I knew had a highly evolved sense of responsibility for the King and for France, even if his self-interest meant that he acted on it in unpredictable ways. Rochefort is a poor replacement.

I am interested, though, in how the loss of Richelieu is having an impact in all kinds of subtle ways - no one else has a hope of keeping Louis in hand, for instance.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2
I was distracted by the bad hair in this episode. Emilie's braids looked like clip-ons, and they didn't even match the rest of her hair. Her hair looked better after she quit drugs, which was not very subtle.

Emilie seems to have a bad hair life in several of her acting jobs.  Emma Lowndes plays Lady Edith's baby's foster mama in Downton Abbey, and she has a tight, boring brown, Twenties' bob.  At least Emilie was a glorious ginger!

I wish there was a way for Rochefort to learn that Anne's in love with Aramis and not have it result in a threat to her life. Sadly, I don't know if that's possible, so that may have to stay in imaginationland.

It is a shame that Athos didn't see their latest smooch fest. I've been missing his reactions to Aramis and Anne. Hope we get another soon!

I used to like Aramis, but the storyline with the Nanny has soured his character for me, especially since we are also led to believe he's in love with Anne. I was almost expecting him to have a torrid love affair with Emilie as well... At this point, I'm starting to find Rochefort the most entertaining - at least we're supposed to believe he's an evil bastard.

Count me in with the people pleased to see the doctor again! "I'm a doctor, not an alchemist!" That can't have been anything but a deliberate Bones reference <3

Re: the hairstyles - did anybody else feel like the hairstylist for this episode has just discovered fishtail braids for the first time? It seemed like every other women (except for the extras wearing standard 'peasant scraggly') had one...

My favourite line in the episode came from Athos: "Your visions are from soup, not God."

I kept envisioning the Progresso commercials: "Ring ring!  Your soup is giving me visions!"

I used to like Aramis, but the storyline with the Nanny has soured his character for me, especially since we are also led to believe he's in love with Anne. I was almost expecting him to have a torrid love affair with Emilie as well...

He also seems to have a holier-than-thou attitude that is off-putting.

I used to like Aramis, but the storyline with the Nanny has soured his character for me, especially since we are also led to believe he's in love with Anne. I was almost expecting him to have a torrid love affair with Emilie as well... At this point, I'm starting to find Rochefort the most entertaining - at least we're supposed to believe he's an evil bastard.

Count me in with the people pleased to see the doctor again! "I'm a doctor, not an alchemist!" That can't have been anything but a deliberate Bones reference <3

Re: the hairstyles - did anybody else feel like the hairstylist for this episode has just discovered fishtail braids for the first time? It seemed like every other women (except for the extras wearing standard 'peasant scraggly') had one...

Iirc, Aramis is the lover of many women. So, his amorous adventures make sense. And in a way, it also makes sense that he'd become a priest later in life, having found those adventures ultimately dissatisfying.

I thought the fishtail braids were a bit much, myself, but yes, I noticed them.

• Love 1
Poor Treville.  I wonder if he out of the Musketeers for good, or if he'll still be around in some capacity.  At least they are going somewhere with Porthos finding out he's hiding something, so he at least has to stick around for that.

Well, he did appear in the next week's previews, so he does remain around somehow. It makes me wonder if he's demoted but remains a Musketeer, like now of the same rank as the rest of the guys, which could be deliciously awkward. I doubt if that's what happens, but still....

Another underwhelming episode IMO. I had a long rant detailing what I find disappointing about the show this year, but I'm going to spare everyone that and just echo what Millennium said.

YES. Please, tv gods, yes.

ETA - Though I have to say I enjoyed the scenes between Porthos and Samara. (Agree it's time for someone else to take a turn getting grievously injured). And I did get a kick out of D'Artagnan's death glare at Aramis after he missed his shot.

Edited by Maelstrom
I never thought I would root for Milady/Athos but I do

I don't know if I'm quite at "root",  but I thought their moment together one of the best scenes of the season, and I could dig a flashback of some torrid lovemaking (since we all know: she ain't getting' it from Louis!).  ITA on her dresses.

And yay for the Doctor! the only new character I really, really like.  

• Love 1

This show is pissing me off. Others have stated their issues, probably more eloquently than I can. I hate that the King seems to be back sliding into a complete prick-- it's lazy writing. I wish we had more of the relationship between Anne and Constance. I agree that Rochefort just needs a mustache to put him over the top, but he plays the creepy obsession with the queen well.

Agree with the general sentiment here of more Musketeers, less everyone else.

• Love 1

Favourite scene was Milady luxuriating in the house the King has set up for her. I actually felt quite sad/pleased for her in that instance - she's obviously had a lot of hardship in her life, and for a few seconds she was just enjoying being safe and looked after. Then of course Rochefort has to turn up... if I ever have to chose between them, I'm hoping that Milady will eventually get the drop on him.

One thing that really bugged is that Louis should have had at the very least a small modicum of growth after being kidnapped. I didn't expect him to cover D'Artagnon with glory for trying to keep him safe, but the end with the Musketeers contributing their own meagre funds for Pepin's family was heartbreaking to say the least. I was hoping they would have found out somehow that Louis independently "repaid him 100-fold for his kindness" and perhaps employed the widow in the Palace or made a small donation of his own. I've enjoyed Louis up until now, but this just disgusted me.

• Love 1