Type keyword(s) to search

The Musketeers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't know if they said what year it is, but Louis's wig suggests a much later period than last season. I just watch the first season Dvds and extras, so I'm pretty happy now.

It can't be a 'much later period'. Since Anne was already pregnant at the end of last season and gave birth in this episode, less than 9 months have passed since last season.

• Love 1

They made a few references to Anne being Spanish, I assume to remind the audience for plot reasons. Now that Anne has given birth she is secure on the throne and it's a good time for the Spanish to use that. Rochefort and Anne have a history which he can exploit in order to gain favour with her and by extension the King. That way, should an unfortunate but fully believable accident befall Louis, Rochefort could be in a prime position to influence the new King of France and the Queen Regent on behalf of the Spanish.

Basically, the Spanish are using a French turncoat to manipulate a Spanish born Queen of France to their cause. Isn't there an easier way to do this rather than trusting Rochefort?

I don't think that they will have Anne work with the Spanish against the French Monarchy. 

In this show, I am doubtful of it too, but in the books, Anne is different so who knows. I shouldn't try to think of the politics of this show. It's not really one of its best aspects.

I don't know if they said what year it is, but Louis's wig suggests a much later period than last season. I just watch the first season Dvds and extras, so I'm pretty happy now.

The first season took place in 1630. The show does not really follow the timelines though. Anne did have a stillborn baby in 1631, but this Dauphin seems healthy for now. Louis XIV was born 1638.

• Love 1

Yeah, this isn't the show for court politics. They certainly worked overly hard trying to integrate Cardinal Marc Warren into the show. The entire plan was very convoluted. He should have just walked into court and put on The Coat. I honestly couldn't tell what was going on. Then they threw in the thing at the end with the Captain and his friend. Probably something left for later.

I still enjoy the show though. I feel bad for Constance because of her hair. Her monologue was good though. She's right imo. 

• Love 3

Yeah, this isn't the show for court politics. They certainly worked overly hard trying to integrate Cardinal Marc Warren into the show. The entire plan was very convoluted. He should have just walked into court and put on The Coat. I honestly couldn't tell what was going on. Then they threw in the thing at the end with the Captain and his friend. Probably something left for later.

I still enjoy the show though. I feel bad for Constance because of her hair. Her monologue was good though. She's right imo. 

Yes, indeed. The voice of reason. OTOH, I was happy for the new love interest if Constance isn't available because more shirtless D'Artagnan. I am shallow like that. If I want real history I can always watch Reign. (KIDDING!)

• Love 2

I enjoyed it, though I don't ask for much when it comes to these sorts of things. Cute guys, sword-fighting, pretty period costumes, lots of running and shouting - that's why I tune in.

They set up quite a lot in this episode: that the Cardinal is dead, that the new dauphin is born, that Rochefort is our new villain, that Constance has become a lady-in-waiting, and it seems that they've got an arc planned for each of our Musketeers as well (D'artagnan pining/trying to get over Constance, Aramis coping with his son, Porthos with the possibility that his father is alive, and Athos - well, nothing much here, but it looks like Milady will be back soon enough).

The rescue was handled quite well - I especially liked D'artagnan breaking into the citadel via the water tunnels and the action sequence across the chasm on the hanging chair. It showcased him pretty nicely, so hopefully the others will get their own centric episodes as the season goes on.

One thing I appreciate is that despite this being very much a boy's show, the writers have interesting stories to tell about the women as well. Queen Anne seems to have risen in power and confidence since the birth of her son, and with Constance as her new confidant there's a good chance she'll be involved in spy-work soon enough. Not sure what to make of this new nursemaid played by Charlotte Salt, but played enigmatic pretty well. 

Of course, this is not to everyone's liking. I saw a commentator on another board complain that a "feminist agenda" was being "shoved down his throat" because Constance had all of ONE scene in which she points out the double-standard that exists between her and D'artagnan should they carry on with their affair. It makes you wonder how these people cope in the real world without imploding.

• Love 3

Not related, no. Craig Charles is only eleven years older than Howard. Looks about 25 years older, though; what has he been up to that he looks so terrible?

A well-publicised battle with drugs and alcohol probably did the trick...

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1

I thought the "Commodities" episode (Episode three from last season) did a pretty good job of explaining how there WOULD be people of color in Paris and the port cities of France during this period. I mean, if you really know your history, you could pick apart the details--that schematic of how to pack a slave ship was genuine but obviously from the 19th century, for instance--but in general thematic terms it was accurate and should make a lot of sense to the casual viewer.

• Love 1

(I just got caught up by watching on iPlayer so I'm also just getting caught up with all the comments.)

I don't understand who Treville and de Foix were talkiing about being Porthos's father.  Is that someone we never heard of before?

Yes. Since I really like Porthos, I'm looking forward to this.  

This looks like the D'Artagnan season so far, The One Musketeer that just goes ahead and saves the damsel/monsieur of the week, while the others show up as helpers.  Athos probably had the most story last season.

I don't know that I agree, mainly because I watched a video on the BBC webpage for the show where each of the actors very briefly outlined the story arc for their character. The fact that they COULD outline the story arc for their characters indicates to me that it's still going to be pretty much an ensemble show instead of the "D'Artagnan and his helpful buddies" show, which I like. I mean, we already know there's some interesting stuff about Porthos and his father coming up, as well as Aramis and the Dauphin. But Milady is apparently coming back, too. All those right there is enough to chew on for a while. I do miss Peter Capaldi, though. Mark Warren isn't as melodramatic as I was afraid, however.

• Love 1

I just figured there were black people back then who were descendants of the Moors when they were in Spain. That's reasonably accurate and more substantive than a fanwank. Plus, it was actually addressed on the show. 

Mark Warren isn't as melodramatic as I was afraid, however.

Oh, just wait. MW can deliver. 

• Love 1

There were no POC of color back then? I mean, come on. It's a swashbuckling show. Get over it.

I always wonder if the folks complaining about "POCs in the Musketeers, oh no!" and such realize that Dumas was himself mixed-race and descended from a Haitian slave woman. So yeah, not a lily-white France, like, ever.

A well-publicised battle with drugs and alcohol probably did the trick.

Wow, really? Not as well-publicised on this side of the pond, I guess. That would definitely do it, though.

• Love 1

I always wonder if the folks complaining about "POCs in the Musketeers, oh no!" and such realize that Dumas was himself mixed-race and descended from a Haitian slave woman. So yeah, not a lily-white France, like, ever.

In strict fairness, Dumas was born in the 1800s; his father's birth would've been over a hundred years after Porthos', if one takes him as predicate/inspiration for that character.  (I still would agree the arguments are stupid, and I strongly suspect there's earlier historical precedence -- especially when Porthos isn't titled -- but it's not entirely the same timeframe.)

It's actually rather refreshing to see a visually mixed cast (at least as far as colouring), IMO. And frankly, there are other things that take me far more quickly out of the timeframe if one wants to quibble accuracy ... XD

• Love 1

What has Tamla done to deserve that horrendous hairstyle? Even Ryan's wig looks better.

This epidoe was slightly better than the last one. D'Artagnan is still my least favorite musketeer so I was not thrilled to watch the D'Artagnan show again this week. At least he was with the king whom I actually like (I mean I don't like him but I like how he is portrayed if that makes any sense?). Surprisingly, I didn't mind Milady even though I couldn't stand her last season. (btw. Maimie looked stunning, I guess she was the only one who didn't piss the stylists off.) I had a feeling that Aramis would use the nanny to get to his son but I was convinced that he was not that kind of a person. Guess I was wrong.

Did anyone mention what happened to De Foix? I was watching online and my player froze for few minutes so maybe I missed it. Also, the beginning felt slightly rushed. It made me think that I missed an episode or two.

Less D'Artagnan, more Athos, Porthos and Aramis, please!

• Love 1

Surprisingly, I didn't mind Milady even though I couldn't stand her last season.

Very much this! She was so ineffectual last season as everyone's punching bag that she was not an entertaining villainess. Having the King feel indebted to her if not more) should make this season much better in that regard.

I had a feeling that Aramis would use the nanny to get to his son but I was convinced that he was not that kind of a person. Guess I was wrong.

Yes! He was full Lady Edith last night (Downton Abbey), and it was no more palatable on him. We're going to get longing looks and inappropriate affection for a while untiul someone (de Winter?) catches on, arren't we?

Pretty decent episode. But, then, I like D'Artagnon. And the King behaved as expected throughout.

I enjoyed this one, and I'm especially glad that Milady is back. It's just not The Musketeers without her stirring up trouble. 

It reminded me of that old "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" episode to see King Louis go through what would otherwise be a life-changing experience, only for him to snap right back to his spoiled ways the moment he gets back to his palace and fancy clothes - a little depressing, but true to life. 

What interested me the most was the court politics between Anne/Constance/Rochefort. He's obviously identified Constance as a potential threat to his influence over the Queen and is taking steps to silence her. Here's hoping Constance a) gets in the Queen's confidence, and b) keeps herself safe. I loved all the hand-holding between the two women. It's great that the writers can showcase a strong bond between women in a show that's all about the bromance. 

• Love 1

I still have four more days until this airs on my side of the pond, but I have jump in here: they killed the Cardinal?! NOOOO!!!! I've been secretly hoping they could persuade Capaldi to come back for a guest stint at some point in the future. Now have a serious case of the sads. I guess that's what first season dvds are for. RIP, Cardinal, you magnificent bastard you. And may his awesome cloak RIP too.

I loved all the hand-holding between the two women. It's great that the writers can showcase a strong bond between women in a show that's all about the bromance. 

I agree, but I felt we'd missed an important stage of the relationship. How did that strong bond form? Last week the two women met for the first time, in a formal interview with Constance's husband present to give his consent to the position she was being offered. We really needed an episode in between to see Constance's arrival at the palace, her difficult first steps into a new life - being a lady-in-waiting, living at the palace is a HUGE change from keeping house as a draper's wife. We've yet to see a private conversation between the two women, have yet to see any meaningful interaction between them on which a friendship could be formed. They've just jumped straight from formal interview to supportive hand-holding without any intermediary stage.

And maybe that's all there is so far - loyal support from Constance, gratefully received by Anne, without any more meaningful bond having been formed yet. Hopefully that is still to come.

• Love 4

When Spanish General Tariq Alaman offers to hand over the formula of a unique and deadly gunpowder in exchange for help rescuing his kidnapped daughter, the Musketeers find themselves tangled in a complex web of political trades with the Spanish. Their mission is further complicated when Porthos is captured by Spanish agents. When the Dauphin becomes seriously ill, Constance takes matters into her own hands and risks everything to save his life.

BBC1 (UK) Airdate: January 16, 2015

BBCA (USA) Airdate: January 31, 2015 (estimate)

The actress playing Samara is absolutely gorgeous and has been in something before, but I can't think what - it bugged me all the way through.

Another thing bugging me is that Constance has been one of Anne's ladies-in-waiting for two episodes now, yet they've not had a single meaningful scene together, not so much as one single one-on-one conversation. Oh, they've held hands in times of stress and Constance has been outspoken in front of others (not getting off to a great start), but when we first heard that Constance was going to be a lady-in-waiting there was a lot of excitement at the prospect of a strong female friendship on this show, yet that hasn't happened. Constance is just there to facilitate other storylines, to be an antagonist to Rochefort's plotting and to be involved in stories other than romantic triangles with D'Artagnan and the husband. There's no sign of her developing an actual relationship with the queen, which would involve allowing them to have actual meaningful conversations with one another. I'm disappointed with the writing of this sub-plot so far - there's been some strong stories coming out of it, yet something vital is missing and that something is the Constance-Anne relationship.

The physician was a bit of a fox, however, and I like that he freely acknowledged Constance's part in saving the dauphin's life, rather than just taking the credit himself and letting her hang.

I'm not sure quite why the Spanish kidnapped Porthos. I mean, as a hostage, yes, but nothing was done with that idea - they made no ransom demands for him, made no threats against him, he was mentioned only by the French who wanted him back. Again it's that lack of joining up - he was abducted because the writers wanted him to spend quality captivity time with Samara, so they could build up a bond (the kind of bond lacking in the Constance-Anne relationship, as mentioned above) and get Porthos thinking about his ancestry and absent father and whatnot, but there really needed to be some stronger reasoning behind the abduction from the Spanish perspective, because when you look at it from their side, it seems pointless - all that fuss about the French not touching a Spanish citizen or it would be an act of war, but the Spanish had captured a French soldier, which is also an act of war! Woolly thinking from the writers.

Also, I'm growing a bit disappointed in Marc Warren. He's always been so excellent in everything I've seen him in, but his approach to Rochefort is sadly lacking in variation or nuance. I felt it particularly in his scenes with the queen - he's meant to be winning her confidence as a dear friend, but every single line he spoke was delivered in the same flat, vaguely menacing tone he uses in every single dialogue he has and it came across as so obviously creepy it made Anne look stupid and gullible for falling for it. If we saw that he was different with her than with everyone else, it would add so much depth to the character and give her a reason for trusting him, because we'd know she was seeing a side of him that no one else ever saw, and we'd all be wondering which version was the genuine Rochefort. As it is, I'm growing weary of that flat, one-note delivery he's using.

Louis gives me cognitive dissonance like whoa, because I enjoy Ryan Gage's performance so much, he has such a natural delivery and a beautiful smile, but Louis is so awful! Got to admire Milady's game, however - she went for it and she won it!

Marguerite's fate was left hanging at the end there - is she still in prison? Will she be forgiven and get her job back? What?

And despite all the above grumbling, I am really enjoying this new season - absolutely love having the show back!

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 2

I agree with the previous comment about Constance/ Anne. It seems like Anne did a pretty unusual thing making a cloth merchant's wife, who is friends with her husband's soldiers, a lady in waiting. It would seem that she did it because she really trusted Constance, or indeed everyone loosely connected with the Musketeers, so it's strange that there is no real interaction now that she went this far. I also didn't quite understand why it was necessary to bring the Dauphin into town. Louis was horrible, of course, but he wasn't entirely wrong. There are risks and diseases there for an overprotected baby that is still on the breast (plus, since this is before breast pumps, the sick baby would not have had any food or drink the entire night). Were there no laundry rooms in the palace?

On a shallow note, I really like Constance's hair in the episode, but not so much Anne's. It seems strangely yellow to me, and she is the only one who has more of a tan now.

Aramis missing his opportunity to shoot because he saw the woman and the baby was pretty harsh, and I wish they had followed up on that. I mean, afterwards there was a pretty big mess, which would also damage the people's trust in the Musketeers; and Aramis isn't usually the Musketeer who takes deaths (most of all the death of innocents) the most lightly.

Rochefort annoys me, too. A person would need to be blind and deaf to overlook that he is a creep. I wonder when Anne will wake up and realize this. I must confess I miss Richelieu.

Looking forward to the next one - and hoping for Athos/Milady scenes when Athos finds out about Louis and her.

• Love 1

I feel like the boys were hardly in this episode (with the exception of Porthos). I miss their banter.

I hope we will never see the nanny again.

Rochefort is the creepiest character to grace my television screen and I fail to understand how nobody in the show can see it.

At least Tamla's hair finally looked good.

The actress playing Samara is absolutely gorgeous and has been in something before, but I can't think what - it bugged me all the way through.

Antonia Thomas was known for her role as Alisha on "Misfits".

• Love 1

Antonia Thomas was known for her role as Alisha on "Misfits".

It was driving me crazy for most of the episode! She has this weird age thing where I totally buy her as playing younger, and it made her scenes with Porthos not what was probably intended. In her final scene she looked like an adult again and I immediately realized where I knew her from! The discussion between she and Porthos concerning his view of himself as a Frenchman and her allegation that race overrides all really was creepy considering recent events in Paris!

Another thing bugging me is that Constance has been one of Anne's ladies-in-waiting for two episodes now, yet they've not had a single meaningful scene together, not so much as one single one-on-one conversatio

While I enjoy the show, the female characters are poorly written. The idea of two women in a scene together where they aren't antagonists and/or a more significant male character isn't involved would never occur to the writers (at least one of whom is a woman going by the  credits!), and that's a shame. Even Constance's heroic attempt to cure the Dauphin was monumentally stupid and almost got she and another woman (whose fate wasn't resolved at the end of the episode, but whose usefulness to Aramis probably means she's safe) killed in the process! Present your case, and, if you're shot down, at least you tried, I say. One need look no further than the previous episode to discover how mercurial the royals are in their allegiances.

• Love 1

A reasonably good episode, though the Musketeers were hardly in it! Trying to fit three separate plots into a single episode probably wasn't a good idea, though I can't really pin-point anything they could have changed/shifted around, so perhaps it worked out for the best. 

Regarding Constance/Queen Anne. I definitely wish there had been more of a build-up to this relationship (even just one interaction in the first series to lay the groundwork for Constance's current employment would have been welcome), though I can't bring myself to complain too much. As a long-time viewer - against my better judgement - of all those BBC "family entertainment" shows, such as Robin Hood, Merlin and Atlantis, it's pretty clear that writers in general really don't give a shit about female friendships. 

So the fact that Constance/Anne are getting to interact with each other, however badly set-up, is a welcome gift. It's here, it's happening, Constance just won herself MAJOR points by saving the dauphin's life (however stupidly/luckily). Hopefully this is all leading up to further tension between Rochefort/Constance as they vy for the Queen's favour (which is surely better than the usual love triangle that female characters are usually subjected to). They even made room for a very brief Constance/Milady moment when they recognise each other on the stairs. 

On the whole, I'm pretty happy with the portrayal of women - though perhaps that's just due to my experience with the aforementioned shows. Between what they did to Marian, Morgana and Medusa respectively, those shows all seemed to actively hate their female cast. 

Edited by Ravenya003

First impression: Marc Warren & Rochefort don't come close to filling the void that Peter Capaldi & the Cardinal left, but the boys are still great together.

I'll say it once and try not to carp on it for the rest of the season, but I really, really wish PC had stayed with the Musketeers instead of going to Doctor Who (and I say this as a Doctor Who viewer). He's such a fantastic actor and I loved his take on the Cardinal, and IMHO he's just being wasted on DW. Bring back the Cardinal! And The Cloak! *sobs*

Loved Athos' thundercloud look when he caught Aramis staring at the baby ("What?") And it'd be nice to learn a bit more about Treville's past. Though it did strike me as a little contrived that by turning down the King's offer, Treville and the Musketeers are back on the King's Shit List compared to the favored Red Guard. The more things change...

What's with the wigs this season? I thought they looked pretty good last year, but they were all distractingly bad tonight. Thank goodness Rochefort at least ditched his by the end of the ep. Really hope that Constance's improves from her final scene with D'Artagnan.

Yay! The boys are back!

Voiceover, that's a fantastic idea! :-D

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 1

So happy to have my boys back!

Anne choosing Constance as her confidante was contrived, but it gives Constance a tie to the story now that she and D'Artagnan have broken up.

What a surprise (not!) that the general they're rescuing has a comely young sister.

Especially enjoyed the brief "What?" "What?" scene between Aramis and Athos. I really wish we could've seen what Richelieu would have done with his suspicions about Aramis/Anne. Forever bitter Dr. Who stole Peter Capaldi.

• Love 1

Especially enjoyed the brief "What?" "What?" scene between Aramis and Athos. I really wish we could've seen what Richelieu would have done with his suspicions about Aramis/Anne. Forever bitter Dr. Who stole Peter Capaldi.

Yes, to every word. Especially the bolded part.

As a season premiere, it wasn't bad. I felt like it was a tossed salad, setting up the rest of the episodes.

I haven't liked Marc Warren for a long time, and I'm not sure why. Maybe he'll win me back (but doubtful).

Just caught the return.  Glad to see the majority of the gang again, although there really was a crap ton of set-up for this one.  A lot to take in.  I also noticed there wasn't quite as much humor as normal, so I hope that changes soon.

Marc Warren did a solid enough job, but Rochefort has ways to go before he can be worthy of following Richelieu.  I understand why Peter Capaldi left; I mean, The Doctor is going to be a role that will keep his name in TV history; but I really missed his style of acting on this show, and how Richelieu stirred the pot.  It's kind of funny that I'm much more interested in how Richelieu is crewing Aramis over from the grave, compared to Rochefort's stuff.  I'll give him a chance, but I'm just waiting for Milady to show back up.

The D'Artagnan/Constance stuff was a bore, and D'Artagnan was a dick at the very end.  I just can't believe that he didn't see that things would be worst for her then him.  Constance has her annoying moments, but I thought she was right on the money about what will probably happen if she just left her husband.  Part of me wonders how much of D'Artagnan's anger was because of them actually breaking up, or because she caught him making out with Lucie, and he was trying to be macho and put up a wall.

I like that they seem to be putting some focus on Treville and that he had a past relationship with Porthos' father.  I find both of the characters and actors underrated, and would like to see them do more.

Also like that Anne is becoming more vocal and stepping up a lot more then last season.  While I don't think she'll ever be as shady or bad as Richelieu was, I can see her actually taking over some of the stuff he did.

• Love 1

I took D'Artagnan's insensitivity as him being very young and still very idealistic. He doesn't really know that much about life. He doesn't have the experience to have insight into Constance's argument, no matter what she tells him.

Anne choosing Constance as her confidante was contrived

I think Constance was in some kind of service to Anne in the book, so it wasn't really contrived. Or am I just thinking of the 70's movie? Whatever the case, I'll be glad to see the two women as allies.

The Cardinal's parting shot at Aramis was cold and so effective. That was one of the most cruel moments of last season, and revisiting it that way was a shock. I, too, wish Peter Capaldi could have managed both shows, but I'm enjoying him as the Doctor - some subpar writing aside.

Loved the scene with the dauphin, Aramis, and Athos. Loved the escape over the gorge. Loved the very deep well as D'Artagnan's way in. Loved all the setup because of what it will eventually bring. Not thrilled yet with Rochefort. Not thrilled with an apparent triangle of longing between Constance, D'Artagnan, and Lucie. Intrigued with Porthos' backstory. Wondering what Athos' story will be. I'm just so happy that the show is back!

• Love 2
The discussion between she and Porthos concerning his view of himself as a Frenchman and her allegation that race overrides all really was creepy considering recent events in Paris!

Yes! I was coming here to say much the same thing! I don't know that I found it "creepy" so much as "highly ironic," though. Given the BBC's propensity to drop episodes if they have the slightest link to recent real-life trauma, I'm actually kind of surprised this one aired.

I'm not sure what to make of Ryan Gage and the King this year. Last year, he was a spoiled boy trying to do the right thing, but not very hard, and failing more often than not. This year? Much more adult. And we're not seeing any effort, so far, at the "trying to do the right thing"...thing. I kind of miss that. I do think Ryan Gage is doing a good job, but I don't think he has as much to work with.

Rochefort annoys me, too. A person would need to be blind and deaf to overlook that he is a creep. I wonder when Anne will wake up and realize this. I must confess I miss Richelieu.

Rochefort is the creepiest character to grace my television screen and I fail to understand how nobody in the show can see it.

I'm actually finding Rochefort's creepiness oddly entertaining. The whole thing with the prostitute was super creepy, but it makes more sense than the whole "Let's manipulate the Queen for politics," He's just doing it because he's been in love with her since she was a teenager. He's no Buckingham, but Anne of Austria was known to have had a lot of admirers so I can buy it. I found it hilarious when he said, "I love you..... like any subject would love their Queen," I know it's probably not suppose to be funny, but I had to laugh about how obvious it was.

To be honest, I find the Spanish ambassador more annoying. The writers seem to get that they needed more than just one person to replace Capaldi as a villain.

I felt sad for Anne this episode. She really is isolated. I miss the Aramis/Anne thing a bit except that's not going to do anyone favours for awhile to go back down that path.

Milady has looked the best of all the women, but I tire of her games with the King. She's more fun when her and Athos ham up the angst.

The females on this show are underdeveloped, but yes, it could be a lot worse.

• Love 2

I'm actually finding Rochefort's creepiness oddly entertaining. The whole thing with the prostitute was super creepy, but it makes more sense than the whole "Let's manipulate the Queen for politics," He's just doing it because he's been in love with her since she was a teenager.

Heh, that's true. I guess what bugs me is that Anne, who so far has seemed relatively perceptive, gentle and friendly is totally unable to pick up on his blatant psychopath act. I would prefer it if he were a creep around everyone but her. But he also is a creep around her. She just inexplicably doesn't notice, which makes her look a bit daft. But oh well, if it leads to fun storylines, I won't complain :-).

• Love 2

Heh, that's true. I guess what bugs me is that Anne, who so far has seemed relatively perceptive, gentle and friendly is totally unable to pick up on his blatant psychopath act. I would prefer it if he were a creep around everyone but her. But he also is a creep around her. She just inexplicably doesn't notice, which makes her look a bit daft. But oh well, if it leads to fun storylines, I won't complain :-).

S1 Anne was like that, but so far this season, Anne is understandably very anxious. She's distanced herself from the father of her child (who is boinking the nanny unbeknownst to her), the King was kidnapped/nearly killed, her baby was sick and kidnapped, and she found her husband under the table with a floozy. Poor thing. Since Rochefort and her have known each other a long time, she's probably use to his creepiness and having admirers.

I'm finding Marc Warren's creepiness really funny in this role. Rochefort is not endearing, but you can tell he has a lot of issues. He's also being manipulated by the Spanish as he is trying to manipulate everyone in the French court. I don't feel sorry for him, but I wonder how far the writers and Warren will take the creepiness and how he will fall.

• Love 1
She's distanced herself from the father of her child (who is boinking the nanny unbeknownst to her),

Is he? Or so far is it just manipulative flirting? Or do we really know which for sure?

You know, now that I think about it, Aramis isn't covering himself with glory so far this season, is he? Manipulating an innocent governess, lying about why he didn't take that shot in the courtyard in the last episode, which had dire consequences (missing the shot I mean, not the lying so much)--I don't know that it's so much evil or even wicked as merely human, but we've come to expect more out of him and Our Musketeers, you know? I wonder if we're going to see consequences of this kind of behavior, or see him go further down hill.

• Love 1

Is he? Or so far is it just manipulative flirting? Or do we really know which for sure?

You know, now that I think about it, Aramis isn't covering himself with glory so far this season, is he? Manipulating an innocent governess, lying about why he didn't take that shot in the courtyard in the last episode, which had dire consequences (missing the shot I mean, not the lying so much)--I don't know that it's so much evil or even wicked as merely human, but we've come to expect more out of him and Our Musketeers, you know? I wonder if we're going to see consequences of this kind of behavior, or see him go further down hill.

He may or may not be sleeping with the governess/nanny, but manipulating her so he could reach the Dauphin is pretty low. There have to be some kind of consequences to it. It's building up.

• Love 1

Rochefort in the book worked for the Cardinal and was Milady's contact/middleman for the Cardinal. Constance was the Queen's dressmaker and confidant. Being a dressmaker, no one took notice that she had the Queen's confidence and would be the Queen's go between for her affair with the Duke of Buckingham. (Except the Cardinal, of course.)

so far this season, Anne is understandably very anxious.

That is a very good point. Cheating on your unsuspecting husband and then raising another man's child in his name is risky in any household, but doing that to the king at that time in history should strike fear into the heart of any halfway reasonable person. Anne is probably anxious around her little boy even when he's thriving; when he's sick, I do see how she might lose her head and turn to any friendly face that looks her way.

I agree that Aramis probably has another thing coming. With the cardinal hinting from the grave, so to speak, that he knew all of Aramis's sins, Aramis's clumsy attempts to get close to the Dauphin, his stares at the queen and his weirdo "affair" with the nanny, it doesn't look like calm waters are ahead for him. I don't mind though. I like Aramis-centred storylines :-).

Edited by Marie Claudine
  • Love 1

Woo, the Musketeers are back! But like many of you, I am sad that the Cardinal has been killed off because Peter Capaldi is off doing Doctor Who. I guess there was no way for him to film both at once, but I wish he could have been off on a journey or something and made a few cameo appearances.

I'm glad Constance will actually be doing something this season instead of hanging out at home and improbably showing up to help the Musketeers whenever they conveniently need it. And I wanted to applaud her speech to D'Artagnan because he was completely deaf and blind to the consequences of Constance leaving her husband-- especially given his job.

I am probably most intrigued by more backstory/intrigue for Porthos of all the potential storylines the premiere sets up.

Okay, help me out here. In the first episode of the season, a minion took Our Boys (or at least a couple of them, including Aramis--I can't remember which) to a tomb, on the late Richelieu's orders. Aramis pitched a fit when he saw the name. It obviously was a reference to last season, but I didn't recognize the name. Based on what he said, I assumed it was the mother of the other baby, the Queen Mother's secret grandson, the one they smuggled into Spain. Now I'm wondering if I'm wrong, because several people here are linking the name with the Aramis/Queen fling and ensuing Dauphin. So, who was it?

Okay, help me out here. In the first episode of the season, a minion took Our Boys (or at least a couple of them, including Aramis--I can't remember which) to a tomb, on the late Richelieu's orders. Aramis pitched a fit when he saw the name. It obviously was a reference to last season, but I didn't recognize the name. Based on what he said, I assumed it was the mother of the other baby, the Queen Mother's secret grandson, the one they smuggled into Spain. Now I'm wondering if I'm wrong, because several people here are linking the name with the Aramis/Queen fling and ensuing Dauphin. So, who was it?

The tomb was Adele Bessett, Richelieu's mistress - he had her executed in secret back in the very first episode of the show because he'd found out she was having an affair with Aramis, who at the time was left to think she'd simply gone away and left him. It was a beyond-the-grave dig at Aramis, telling him that his actions have consequences and that the Cardinal knew more than he realised - in the season one finale it was hinted that the Cardinal was suspicious of Aramis and Anne (based purely on a few knowing glances between them, he had no evidence, but if he'd lived you can bet he'd have tried to find some).

• Love 1

The Musketeers investigate Emilie of Duras, a woman claiming to have visions from God which instruct her to lead her thousands of followers into war with Spain. As word of Emilie’s visions trigger violent anti-Spanish riots, Aramis is sent to discredit her before she pushes France into an ill-timed war with Spain. Rochefort continues to clash with Spanish Ambassador Perales.

BBC1 (UK): January 30, 2015

BBCA (NA): February 7, 2015 (estimate)

Another episode with too many ingredients.

I would never claim to be an historical expert on this time period ... but, did it seem to anyone else like there were a lot of guns? One of the things I liked about the first season was they showed how ineffectual guns were, because you had to stop and reload after every shot. Tonight, it seemed like they had revolvers. I counted a lot of shots and no one reloaded. Even if they had extra guns in their pockets, there were a lot of gunshots.

I want swords. Musketeers are synonymous with swords.