Type keyword(s) to search

The Musketeers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just saw this tidbit (in an article where the Teletubbies return was the top item...):

* Hulu has acquired exclusive streaming rights to BBC’s The Musketeers, with all episodes from Seasons 1 through 3 becoming available in the U.S. this Saturday, May 14.

Still not happy about it not airing on BBCA, but it will all be there all at once, according to this, and only 2 days away. (Will have to see about at least a temporary subscription, I guess. (They offer a 1-week free trial... I could binge...)

• Love 1
(edited)

Just finished burning through season three on Hulu in one day. The tone this season was really spot on along with the acting. Now I am pissed all over again that the BBC cancelled this show. Why do they do this stuff?? 

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 2

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I was looking forward to viewing the final season on BBC America on a weekly basis every Saturday night.   Now after a year of waiting it lands in the binge-trough of Hulu.   Seems a bit ... inglorious.

• Love 2

I was very disappointed by that as well! But rather than wait until October for the DVD's to come out (which I will buy anyway), I went the free week through Hulu and just couldn't stop watching. This morning I re-watched the finale again. At least they wrapped things up in a way that made me happy. Lots of feels this season, I cried more than once. 

I assume, the only way I could access it was with a one week free trial of Hulu Plus. I watched the season plus several episodes twice and then I dumped it. I have cable, Amazon Prime streaming and Netflix so I had no need to keep Hulu. Of course YMMV. 

That was disappointing.  I kept expecting the end of Grimaud, preferably in a gruesome manner,  but it never happened.   I particularly liked the Matthew Matt encounter.  I thought Matt Stokoe's characgter would kill Matthew McNulty's character.

Louis says it's 25 years since the death of his father, so it should be 1635, and he would have 8 more years to live, but Richelieu is already dead before his time, so I guess we're throwing out all chronology. 

• Love 1

This was rather funny and over the top. At the riot at the beginning when Marcheaux asks Porthos if they can do any better and Porthos thinks so, yes, I thought well, it does help if you don't just stand around holding your sword.

Feron is rather reckless, stealing the King's gold out from under him.

The crazy guy was rather interesting since he kept reminding me of the various stories about back-up, not quite legitimate kings who were imprisoned while the wrong king is on the throne, so that kept me interested. Too bad it never went anywhere.

I'm glad Treville finally has started lurking instead of openly telling Feron he is on to him.

I can't tell whether Louis is desperately clinging to the hope that the people will love and follow his son after he is dead or simply indulging in his last days. He does an excellent job alienating his wife these days.

Regardless, Feron is right, a 6 year old dauphin and a Spanish Queen regent will create chaos.

• Love 1

Well, overall it was not a good day for conspirators even though the air was somewhat cleared. It would have been fun if Aramis had told Louis that if he hadn't slept with the queen there would not BE a dauphin. But then, petty, Aramis is not. And he's lucky Louis won't have him and the queen hanged for treason. I like that that "incident" has still repercussions. It should. And Athos' epic stink eye to Aramis at the end of season 1 was still not epic enough.

Prince ratface psychopath Gaston the next king? Not likely. Not if Anne has any say in it. And now it's pretty much up to her unless Louis finds someone else to take care of the dauphin.

Grimaud is a cockroach. Shot twice and still walking. I do wonder why he is so hellbent on replacing one king with another.

I guess Feron only really wanted to be loved. Aw! Still, that was a stupid last move. I'll miss him limping and creeping around.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't even know this was back on so I'm way behind. I don't like the Musketeers being in the field and separated from Paris, but more Constance scheming please.

I like that the Musketeers are in "stories" now. But it's weird there's no Cardinal. The governor lacks a certain panache. "Oh it's you old guys." Yes, those are the guys who blew up a garrison.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

Good way to kick off the season, alas with the melancholy caveat that this is the last season.

I'm not sure I ever mentioned it but I simply LOVE the theme music to this show.   Hey!

For once a time leap in a show feels entirely natural.   And it suits the slight aging of the characters -- D'Artagnan in particular looks less boyish, more seasoned.

The new villain, Fregonne(?) is interesting.   I'm curious what his debilitating illness is, and what magic elixir is used to keep the illness in check and the man in thrall to the provider.

Milady DeWinter is SORELY missed.

• Love 2

Another great action packed episode with some nice scenes back at court between Louis and Treville and Louis and Anne.  Neither of the Matts were in this one.   I almost thought Athos was going to die.  Porthos the Midwife was also nice.

Just finished with this episode. Well, that was nice! First episodes of the season, like premier episodes, have certain expectations and requirements, and this met them. Everybody, especially Constance, sure did look older, though.

A couple of thoughts:

During that initial humongous battle scene, I couldn't help but think, "Well, no wonder there won't be any more seasons! Think of how expensive it is to make this show!"

I liked that they gave reasons for us to be sympathetic to Le Bad Guy. He's not faking that spinal condition. That doesn't justify his badness, but it does make him less--or more?--than a cartoon. The fact that Louis has put his illegitimate older brother in such a position makes Louis seem more kindly, too. (By the way, I like Ryan Gage's beard. It does make him look older! I think in the first season, maybe or maybe not in the second season, they wanted to emphasize Louis' youth. The beard indicates to me that they're getting away from that.)

How did they get that kid--young Louis--to wear that wig is beyond me....

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DCWash said:

I liked that they gave reasons for us to be sympathetic to Le Bad Guy. He's not faking that spinal condition. That doesn't justify his badness, but it does make him less--or more?--than a cartoon. The fact that Louis has put his illegitimate older brother in such a position makes Louis seem more kindly, too. (By the way, I like Ryan Gage's beard. It does make him look older! I think in the first season, maybe or maybe not in the second season, they wanted to emphasize Louis' youth. The beard indicates to me that they're getting away from that.)

Aye, and that's a relief after Rochefort last season, who never managed to be anything other than a cartoon of villainy. How did they get that one so wrong? Marc Warren is usually such a strong actor, but his Rochefort was nothing but creepy with no redeeming characteristics whatsoever. Feron managed to have multiple shades to his character in just this one episode. Is he Louis' illegitimate older brother or illegitimate uncle? It was unclear.

They also, as you say, did a good job of making everyone look older, to show the 4-year time jump. All except Aramis, who looked exactly the same to me, being a monk has clearly been good for his health, even if he isn't cut out for it as a career path!

No reason was given for the four returning to Paris, was it? They just went to see Treville, who announced that he was keeping them on rather than sending them back to the front.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Llywela said:

Is he Louis' illegitimate older brother or illegitimate uncle?

He's a much older brother.  His father married Queen Margot on the eve of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre(1572), and they mostly had nothing to do with each other after that.  When he converted to Catholicism in 1593, that marriage was annulled, and he eventually married Marie de Medici, Louis XIII's mum.  He was 50ish when Louis was born, and had been with a lot of other women, La Belle Corisande comes to mind. 

I thought they returned to Paris because of the unrest in the city.  They seemed to be setting up this as the season of the Fronde. 

3 minutes ago, atomationage said:

He's a much older brother.  His father married Queen Margot on the eve of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre(1572), and they mostly had nothing to do with each other after that.  When he converted to Catholicism in 1593, that marriage was annulled, and he eventually married Marie de Medici, Louis XIII's mum.  He was 50ish when Louis was born, and had been with a lot of other women, La Belle Corisande comes to mind. 

Thank you. I watched with a banging headache, which probably didn't aid my comprehension!

• Love 1

They also, as you say, did a good job of making everyone look older, to show the 4-year time jump. All except Aramis, who looked exactly the same to me, being a monk has clearly been good for his health, even if he isn't cut out for it as a career path!

I loved the quip by the abbot where he said, "You tend your beard like it's a rose bush." That's so...Aramis! 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, atomationage said:

To expand on this, Henry IV had a lot mistresses and women. He had no issue with Queen Margot and they both lived apart and kept other lovers. Maybe Fernon is one of his affairs from that time. He had a lot illegitimate children, but I do not know if Everett's character is based on a real person, but not one of the more famous Henry IV illegitimate children.

This was a great premiere. It was darker, introduced characters, and still had most of the elements that make this show great. The characters did look older except Aramis. Then again, it is Santiago. He doesn't look like he has aged in 15 years. He looked extremely handsome this episode with the children and as a soldier again taking a group of six soldiers all by himself.

• Love 3

This episode was tense and angsty all around. There was very little joy in it and Anne's scenes were all tinged with sadness. I have been marathoning the episodes and I noticed that Louis and Anne have been wearing the same outfits since the first episode and only changed this episode midway. It's rather sad given how luxurious the the show was in the first season.

• Love 1

I loved this episode.  It got off to a slow start, but kept building on so many fronts, ending with Treville as the new RIchelieu.  The return of Lady De Winter was great.   They're really winding things up quite well.  I'll miss this when it's over, but I haven't even deleted any of last season yet. 

• Love 1

I'm loving this season as well. What an upset. Most series start really well and then peter out. They saved the best for the last in this one - but then wasted the effort by making it so hard to view. It pisses me off. Everyone is doing such a great job (with the exception of Gaston who feels a bit cartoon-y). The costumes are great (if overwhelmingly blue) especially Louis's most recent extravaganza this episode. Someone noted in another thread that the Queen's wardrobe seems recycled episode to episode. I think it is because the Musketeers got a complete new uniform in blue leather - with individual flourishes. Not that I disapprove.

The scripts are also excellent. Way to go out with a bang. Hope more people get to see it because this season has been the best of the three seasons.

• Love 2

This was probably one of the best episodes of the season though I haven't seen 9 or 10 yet. It was an intense episode. There is so much angst this season though. Can Anne and Aramis not get a break? Separately or together. Poor Athos and Sylvie too!

23 minutes ago, Anothermi said:

Someone noted in another thread that the Queen's wardrobe seems recycled episode to episode. I think it is because the Musketeers got a complete new uniform in blue leather - with individual flourishes. Not that I disapprove.

That was me and Anne has the same hairstyle through most of the series too. It's a bit sad considering she's the Queen. Constance and Sylvie do not have much in the way of wardrobe change either. Milady was Milady.

The budget was probably moved towards casting and all the action and location shooting. It feels like they have more action than they did in previous season.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DCWash said:

Do you get the feeling we're going to see young orphan Luc again?

11 hours ago, Anothermi said:

Refresh my memory. I can't remember which episode  - or his story.

It was the episode this thread is for, Anothermi - episode one. Luc was the rebellious teenage boy among Aramis's orphans at the monastery. I doubt we'll see him again - he had an entire character arc within the episode, learned a few valuable life lessons, and then said his farewells at the end. One and done, I'd say (but I'm unspoiled for the rest of the season, so could be wrong).

Did anyone get a good view of the cartoon of Anne and her latest lover that was being passed around?   I couldn't figure out who it was supposed to be, and I looked pretty closely.  Maybe it was supposed to be Aramis, but to my eyes, it could have been Treville.

I suppose Grimaud won't die until the final episode.   I want Matt Stokoe's character to go over to the good side, but maybe that's expecting too much. 

Thanks, Llywela. My mind was still on episode 8 which I have just seen. It can be a bit confusing on forums where posters see shows at different times. I'm interested in what others think about this final season, but because I'm ahead I forget what happened.

Well, I thought that was an excellent episode. Maybe one of the best of the whole series. Grimaud surviving everything is a bit much, but it didn't ruin the episode for me. At first I thought Feron was going to be a cartoon villain (like Rochefort -- and he did have some pretty convenient breaks with the Dutch loan), but I ended up liking him quite a bit in the last couple of episodes. I thought his reconciliation with the king was moving -- also some of Louis' best scenes. After carefully wording his public oath to the next leader, Feron's private one was touching and unequivocal. I didn't expect his deliberate sacrifice immediately following his pledge -- and with his warning shot, he revealed the whole conspiracy.

I think Louis has been quite strong recently. He didn't resort to tantrums in his confrontation with Aramis, and though he first sentenced Aramis to hang, he wisely took it back and was quite reasonable. There may be practicality involved in accepting the dauphin, but he does genuinely appear to love the boy. Impending death has really changed him.

I still have a few episodes to watch, but I'm liking this season a lot.

• Love 4

Athos really got to me in this one. He's so hurt over Sylvie and so desperate to get Grimaud, seemingly as much from guilt for letting his guard down as for Grimaud's actual crimes. When Therese was explaining Grimaud's history and how she did her best to bring him up -- I wanted Athos to tell her the outcome, that Grimaud killed the king's brother and was plotting to overthrow the throne. I can't remember if they said how old Grimaud was when Therese rescued him, but all her years of care didn't help him much. I liked that Athos said none of it mattered. That's when he should have told Therese the truth.

I agree that the scenes between Louis and both Treville and Anne were good. Louis has matured at last. Even in his hurt, he's being reasonable. Can't blame him for not forgiving Anne, but it makes sense to spare her for the good of the country and to make her regent, even after saying he wanted to hear Gaston's side of things. Poor Louis; so many around him that he can't trust. I'm glad he listened to Treville.

• Love 1

I'm curious how the crazy guy had his insights -- just psychic because he was out of his mind? He actually felt too convenient, ultimately a device for getting Feron out of trouble. The Dutch lender's death was brushed aside, and the loan documents were conveniently burned. I didn't quite understand what happened to the 2 million livre, though. Feron and Grimaud were trying to steal the king's gold in addition, I guess, but it sounded more like they didn't even have the loaned money. Where did that go?

One part I did like was D'Artagnan's compassion both in trying to care for the crazy guy and in being reluctant to kill him.

• Love 2

This episode was more like "The Meh-sketeers."   I can't get jazzed about food shortages in Paris.   When none of  the Musketeers has a personal stake in the crisis of the week, I find my interest is secondary too. 

I don't like Constance as the garrison den mother.   In the space of a season she seems to have aged more than a decade and now strikes me as much older than D'Artagnan.   That silly Musketeerette uniform she wears doesn't help.    I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the lavish gowns and court costumes of previous seasons until suddenly there are none anymore, Constance being virtually the only woman left standing (thanks to the Queen being sidelined and Maimie McCoy on maternity leave).

• Love 1
(edited)

I used the free Hulu week as well and just finished season 3. What a disservice BBC/BBCA did not to air this last season or at least to make it better known where it was placed. If I hadn't specifically been looking for news about it, I never would have known. Even the BBCA website doesn't say a single thing about it. They only have info through season 2. Jerks.

Anyway, what a great show this was. The only complaint I really have is the convenient manipulations in favor of certain villains, most especially with Rochefort's rise to power and total influence in S2, but also Grimaud somewhat in S3, especially toward the end when he kept escaping, and when he'd been shot and stabbed so many times yet had the strength to really challenge Athos in the final fight.

I suppose one other minor issue is that I didn't like the way they left Athos and Milady de Winter. Their scene at her return was fantastic; I liked that she became Treville's (and then the queen's) assassin; but there was no completion with Athos. I liked Sylvie and that Athos ended up with her rather than ongoing, unresolved angst with his wife; I just felt like there should have been something more than the single encounter between them after her return. Maybe she saw how he cared for Sylvie at the flogging and just gave up, but it felt unfinished to me.

Those issues aside, I loved the series. I loved the entire main cast (musketeers, royals, etc.). I loved the humor. I loved the sword fights (they really are spectacular). I loved way they gave the focus to each musketeer in turn and yet found ways to involve them all in each story. I loved the brotherhood and was pleasantly surprised by the displays of affection between them. I appreciated that even if it might not have been accurate for the time, the women were active and strong.

I loved season 1 for the introduction and development of the characters, and for the deliciousness of the Cardinal who always had his country's interests at heart despite his nefarious acts. He also had a complicated alliance with Treville, which seemed realistic. Ordering the queen's death was a bonehead move, yet it gave motivation and story to the end. He was sorely missed in S2, but they kept his name alive. I would like to know what the plans were for him going forward, but I can't fault Peter Capaldi for taking his dream job.

Season 2 was more problematic, yet I liked the tension with Aramis and the queen, and I liked the complicated relationship between Athos and Milady (the fact that they explored it; I don't think he could have ended up with her). It's a shame they didn't do better with Rochefort.

I'd read comments elsewhere that the final season was a mess and that they'd lost all the charm. I strongly beg to differ. I have to give it a tie with S1 because of my great affection for that season, but as a whole, it might be the best of them all. I was worried with new showrunners, but they did a great job. I am so sad that the series is over.

Feron was a good villain, and I appreciated that they gave him depth rather than being one-note. Grimaud was good up until the last few episodes (reasons already stated). Gaston was whiny and entitled - I didn't find anything redeeming about him. I'm glad the queen ordered his demise.

I loved Louis this season for his growth and maturity, and for being a great dad. I was very sad when he died. I'm also sad that Treville died. I suppose it was necessary for the others to advance, but that hurt. I'm glad that Constance didn't die. I liked her and her relationship with D'Artagnan all the way through. (Liked the queen and Milady all through as well.)

The costumes may have been somewhat recycled, especially for the queen this season, but I really loved all her dresses this round - and personally, especially all the blue. The cream one at the end was ethereal and gorgeous.

I know there's sometimes criticism for happy endings for everyone, with all the characters paired up, but I liked it. It was nice to see Porthos get his promotion and an unexpected family (was the name he chose for the baby his mother's?). D'Artagnan taking over and rebuilding the garrison felt appropriate. Aramis gets to be with the queen, if in secret, and watch over his son, if from a distance. Athos gets the country life he originally wanted with someone he can start over with. I feel a bit bad for Milady; she only goes on as an assassin. I would have liked to see her and Anne working together (both Annes, actually; I remember them calling Milady Anne at some point as her real name).

And on a shallow note, what a pleasure it's been watching those four very attractive men and their swordplay. 

Edited by justmehere
  • Love 3
On 6/1/2016 at 10:05 PM, millennium said:

I don't like Constance as the garrison den mother.   In the space of a season she seems to have aged more than a decade and now strikes me as much older than D'Artagnan.   That silly Musketeerette uniform she wears doesn't help.    I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the lavish gowns and court costumes of previous seasons until suddenly there are none anymore, Constance being virtually the only woman left standing (thanks to the Queen being sidelined and Maimie McCoy on maternity leave).

I feel like they've all aged 4 years pretty well - but it seems to show more on Treville and Constance.  I think D'Artagnan looks like he aged more than the other 3 Musketeers did but that could be due to longer hair?  Treville has more gray, aging appropriately (and likely helped on by the stress of his new job).  Constance looks a bit older when her hair is pulled up and back, fitting for her job.  I also think her make up was done differently to add to the effect.

Constance is my favorite character on the show and I was curious how she'd fare in Season 3.  This episode showed her very much in charge and responsible - she seems very capable in her job, too.  She's literally seen has having held down the fort/garrison for 4 years and also, we find, keeping her husband in the dark about how bad things have been (what would he have done differently if he knew how things were for Paris and her?). 

2 episodes in and I'm 50/50 on wishing she was back in the Queen's court - but I think her wish to make a difference in a very difficult world places her back at the garrison.  I would have liked to have had a line or 2 about why she left court.  Just a very brief explanation.

• Love 1

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode - was happy to see Bonnaire again!

He even got the king to face palm and eye roll.

I enjoyed the stunt work again, though at times the lighting was so dark it was harder to see some details. 

• Love 2

This episode highlighted the tenuous ground that the Musketeers (as portrayed in the series, I'm not talking about the book or historical sources) are on with defending the king when their hearts may be swayed on some issues to helping 'the people.'   They are living among the people, after all, and are not blind to what's happening.  When the king orders them to do something distasteful - and Treville is plenty smart in his advice to the king about the big picture - I like that the show lets us see the conflict among them.  It's easier to relate to them.

I find Marchaux to be the weakest new character so far - he's very one dimensional.  Loved when Constance called him out on his manhood.

Excellent casting for Gaston.  He looked slimy and whiny from the get go.  Interesting to see the dynamics among the 3 brothers.  Rupert Everett continues to impress me in this role.  My only beef, though, was the scene were he sneaks up to eavesdrop on Louis and Treville talking in the king's chambers.  No way can Feron sneak up on anyone.  Or shouldn't be able to. 

Josephine wore on my nerves.  Perhaps it was the way her mouth was always gaping open, I don't know.  Why didn't she give any of the Musketeers the papers after the funeral?  While D'Artagnan's words to her at the end were sweet, I didn't agree with him. I found the look between him and Constance, after Josephine passed, to have some meaning that I couldn't figure out.  Given Constance's talk with the Queen about her fears about having a family, I hoped we'd see something of this topic discussed between her and her husband.  Especially after witnessing Josephine and her husband's tearful and loving goodbye... 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, writersblock51 said:

Loved when Constance called him out on his manhood.

That may have been a shout out for Misfits fans, since Matt Stokoe's character there was without his penis until he found the woman who stole it.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Spoiler

I loved this season.  I have re watched the episodes numerous times.  I also enjoyed it more than I did the previous season, with the exception of Grimaud.  I too think his various escapes were unrealistic.  I am, however, a fan of Marc Warren, so I reserve season two as having  favorite episodes just because of  him.  I can't help but wonder what the show would have been in Capaldi had been able to stay as the Cardinal. 

I understand that the actress that played Milady DeWinter was pregnant and therefore possibly unable to participate in this series to the extent needed. I don't necessarily feel that her story with Athos was incomplete.  Their time had passed, and I think they both realized it.  They had not seen each other in years, and I think his reaction was more shock and relief at realizing that she was still alive and just emotions coming to the surface more than a longing to be with her.  I think it was needed for him to realize he was ready to move on, and did not like the person he was when he was with her. 

Unlike others, I never enjoyed her redemption arc and had hoped that they would move Athos on to someone else last season, so Sylvie was a welcome change. I think it was unrealistic to believe that a man with his moral code would forgive her offenses and fully trust her as a romantic partner,  and it appeared she had not changed her ways.   I felt, however, that the Queen was sidelined a little.  I agree that they showed tremendous growth with Louis, and Treville was my favorite.  Hugo Speer was so darn attractive in his wardrobe,and his scenes in "The Prize," were amazing.

I enjoyed the fight scenes, the relationships, interactions with others.  I liked watching Brujon grow and feel that D'artangan made the most changes and was portrayed as being a great mentor.   I bought that  he had matured over several years of war and I think his fighting technique was the most sound.  He seemed the only one that was truly capable of taking on Grimaud in a fight, and in general looked the most believable in most of his action scenes.  I also think they showed Aramis' spirituality effectively. 

The Porthos romance seemed forced and rushed. Howard Charles seemed to be overacting or something this season, I can't put my finger on it.  In contrast, I think they did an o.k. job with showing Athos' growing interest in Sylvie and his seeming confusion about what he wanted from the relationship.  If you watch the episodes and pay attention to them isolated, he was always very aware of her actions/location and looked to her a lot for her reaction or to be protective. Tom Burke sold it with his intensity, smoldering looks and expressions of vulnerability.  I thought they also had chemistry, although I read that a lot of people did not. I also appreciate that they did not show her exactly simpering over him,  getting on with her life, and letting him know that she wanted more from him than just sleeping with him.  I actually never bought Constance and D'Artangan, and it is their chemistry that I thought was lacking,, but their relationship was o.k.  I loved the conflict between him and Marchaeux.  (sp)  

My favorite episode of this season I think was  "To Play the King," but many others are close, such as Brothers in Arms. 

Like the last poster, I shallowly appreciate the eye candy and everyone has their favorite, but for me this season it was Hugo Speer and Luke P.  

I am interested to see where these actors go from here.  Unfortunately since I am in the U.S. I proably won't see them that much. I am sad to see the series end. 

Edited by catrice2
Trying to figure out how to add spoiler
  • Love 1
On 6/8/2016 at 8:53 PM, millennium said:

I just found myself needing to quickly skip many of the posts above when I noticed that spoilers were starting to fly WITHOUT spoiler warnings.    A little consideration, please?

I could be wrong, but I believe that "All Episodes Talk" means all episodes and no spoiler tags needed.