Type keyword(s) to search

The Musketeers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved the 70s movies. They were the first ones I saw, and I was enthralled from the opening credits and that slow-motion sword fight. Been hooked on sword fights ever since. 

I remember sitting in the theatre thinking that every sword fight I saw before that one was just dancing with swords and then came the revel that he was just sparring with his father. It was the begging of three enjoyable movies for me and the standard for this genre. More than any other period franchise Musketeers always came off as actual soldiers, even if they were low ranking noblemen. And this TV series goes even further in that regard

• Love 3

Cheer up!  You've seen the worst episode of the series.  Its all uphill form there.

That's good to hear.

I'm a Porthos fan, so I had high hopes for this episode.  But Love is right -- his portion of the story wasn't that engaging.  Howard Charles did a great job with what he was a given.  It was just a poorly-written, done-to-death story, with a big ol' Captain Obvious plot twist.

Never one to leave things on a negative note, there were a few moments that I really liked:

• The trial was well done.  I like how Porthos carried himself and responded to the charges in the face of vile prejudice.

• That moment when Porthos thought Athos rescued him from the gallows was kind of adorable.

• I liked the contrast between Porthos and Charon in how they each decided to leave the Court of Miracles.  Porthos chose an honorable path and worked hard to become a Musketeer.  Charon chose greed and (potentially) mass murder of those under his protection.

• I also like that they're exploring real issues of the era -- this time, the hostility between Catholics and Protestants.  There's a lot of good historical material to work with.

Next week, Medici v. Richelieu!  Aww yeah!

• Love 2

Yeah, I also thought it was the weakest episode so far (but, it still wasn't horrible in the slightest), so I'm glad that this is apparently the worst of it.  It's too bad, since I do like Porthos and I did think Howard Charles shined with what he was given, but I really wasn't interested in the main story, or his relationships with Charon and Flea.  I did like the final fight, and how Porthos really did have Charon's number.  This is a guy who won a sword fight with a fork; it would make sense he would be able to handle Charon.

The investigation parts were a bit more interesting, mainly thanks to the Aramis/D'Artagnan team.  It was very obvious, but I still loved it when Aramis shot the door lock off, D'Artagnan's "You could have just knocked" retort, and Aramis just smirking and then kicking the door in.  In modern times, Aramis would fit right in with the SWAT guys.

I'm pretty sure the actor who played the father is Qyburn on Game of Thrones.  They actually had a few famailer faces here: I remember Charon from episodes of Doctor Who and Sinbad, and the actor playing the Pastor was also in Doctor Who and on Merlin.  Got to love the Europe casting!

I do continue to get a kick out of the Louis/Richelieu scenes; especially when Louis gets all excited and goofy, and Richelieu acts almost like a frustrated dad, trying to calm down his rambunctious son.

Didn't mind taking a break from Constance, but this is the second episode in a row with no Milady, and I'm missing my evil eye-candy fix.

• Love 4
(edited)

This was the worst? Oh my! because I loved it. Or maybe I am just still so in thrall with these swagtastic dark haired princes to notice any badness.

I loved getting more Porthos backstory and close-ups of his glorious curls. And also seeing the other Three doing all that detective work together. They work so well together.

I only just noticed in this episode how they all have various scars. I assume most are makeup? If so, that's cool.

Edited by ceg1
  • Love 2

I would post this in the "Musketeers v. History" thread, but I don't want to be accidentally spoiled by visiting that forum....

I'm curious if anyone knows whether there is any historical basis to the difference between the trials of Athos and Porthos.  In "Friends and Enemies," Athos was tried and sentenced by the King.  In "The Homecoming," Porthos was tried by a judge.  Was this simply dramatic license, or is there a reason why Athos would have been brought before the King instead of a lower court?  (I'm a lawyer, so this is bugging me....)

I would post this in the "Musketeers v. History" thread, but I don't want to be accidentally spoiled by visiting that forum....

I'm curious if anyone knows whether there is any historical basis to the difference between the trials of Athos and Porthos.  In "Friends and Enemies," Athos was tried and sentenced by the King.  In "The Homecoming," Porthos was tried by a judge.  Was this simply dramatic license, or is there a reason why Athos would have been brought before the King instead of a lower court?  (I'm a lawyer, so this is bugging me....)

This is pure fanwanking, but Porthos was captured by the Red Guard (Richlieu's men) and they hate the Musketeers so they didn't want the King to be involved. Secondly, I think Athos was sentenced because the King found out. The Musketeers are his guard so he has final say. Athos is also a special case because he's noble. Historically, a lot of the Musketeers did come from nobility.

• Love 1

Just to chime in on the Ripper Street-detective work (I don't care for CSI so I'd rather compare it to my other fab trio).  And Aramis continues to be the funniest.  And the best friend tale was blehhh, even though I agree, Charles did the best he could with the hoary plot threads.  

• Love 1

As a nobleman, only the king can pass judgment, not some "lesser" person like a judge, etc.    In England, it was the House of Lords tried their peers.    Having no parliament, France only had the King.   

• Love 3

That's good to hear.

I'm a Porthos fan, so I had high hopes for this episode.  But Love is right -- his portion of the story wasn't that engaging.  Howard Charles did a great job with what he was a given.  It was just a poorly-written, done-to-death story, with a big ol' Captain Obvious plot twist.

Never one to leave things on a negative note, there were a few moments that I really liked:

• The trial was well done.  I like how Porthos carried himself and responded to the charges in the face of vile prejudice.

• That moment when Porthos thought Athos rescued him from the gallows was kind of adorable.

• I liked the contrast between Porthos and Charon in how they each decided to leave the Court of Miracles.  Porthos chose an honorable path and worked hard to become a Musketeer.  Charon chose greed and (potentially) mass murder of those under his protection.

• I also like that they're exploring real issues of the era -- this time, the hostility between Catholics and Protestants.  There's a lot of good historical material to work with.

Next week, Medici v. Richelieu!  Aww yeah!

I hope we hear more in coming episodes about how Porthos rose through the ranks from guttersnipe to the king's guard. Because I'm sure it's a pretty amazing story. Though there's no doubt that all three of Our Musketeers have fully earned their positions and do good jobs, it's almost expected for someone with Athos' background to be in the palace and for someone like Aramis to be at least an officer. Not so for somebody from the Court of Miracles, who, at best, would be cannon fodder.

• Love 1

Athos is also a special case because he's noble. Historically, a lot of the Musketeers did come from nobility.

-and-

As a nobleman, only the king can pass judgment, not some "lesser" person like a judge, etc.    In England, it was the House of Lords tried their peers.    Having no parliament, France only had the King.   

This makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification!

"I would ask you to come with me (glancing at the waiting Musketeers and Constance) but you already have a family."    Oooooh right in the feels.   Damn you show, I watch you for the swash and the buckling and the pretty.   I don't want to feel too.

• Love 3

A few things.

After the episode 2 weeks ago where Aramis was pretty much left to fend for himself, it was nice to see the others have his back tonight.

That baby was absolutely adorable.

Selyse Baratheon cleans up well.

Loved the whole Aramis/D'Artagnan interaction. These two are gold in every scene they share.

Aramis continues to be the best thing about this show.

• Love 1
(edited)

I personally love all four of their personalities myself and every single week I curse the fact that I have to wait another 7 days for another episode. I love the swashbuckling and the intrigue. I loved that Constance kicked that guys ass using a sword. I of course majorly love the pretty, but I am deadlocked at which is more gorgeous, Aramis or D'Artagnan.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 3

Thank you Athena for taking care of the threads and marking the ones that have spoilers. I love, love this show and I am trying to avoid major spoilers. I was delighted to read somewhere that they are filming the second season, is that true?

Athos took Aramis’s place as The Funny One!   Probably just for tonight, but I liked it.
And I thought the direction & camera work on this one was the best so far, no contest.  Just gorgeous angles and close-ups, especially in the first 10 minutes.

• Love 2

S2 News:

Antonia Thomas, Colin Simone and Marc Warren join the cast (slightly spoilerish): http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s235/the-musketeers/news/a577195/misfits-antonia-thomas-joins-colin-salmon-in-the-musketeers-series-2.html 

S2 to be "sexier and more action-packed" (again, spoilers): http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/musketeers-series-2-sexier-more-3774300

I was just thinking about Thomas the other day. I liked her on Misfits and it'll be good to see her again. Glad she's working.

The second said that the previous series was intended for 8pm slot, but since they were moved to 9pm, they have adjusted the scripts accordingly for next season. The last one was more "family friendly" and this new series will have more "post-watershed" content. Ahem. I know many here will be pleased by that.

• Love 1

I was hoping this episode would redeem Constance in the eyes of the viewers.  I kept thinking that Marie didn't look very Rubenesque.  Considering all the portraits, I think they might have gone with an actress of more ample assets.

Nope, I'm still bored with the character. As for her assets, not my flavour. I don't go for the ample bosom much. As evidenced by this forum, this show does seem more geared towards women. Hehe.

Aramis and Porthos are both the funny ones.

• Love 2

I like this series more with every episode, but this whole trope of "My Painful Past" is a little comical.  This time, it was Louis' turn: of COURSE he has Mommy issues!  

Not for nothing, was Marie sporting what looked like horns.

It seems many of us like bits and pieces of adaptions...I loved Oliver Platt's Porthos, and -- guilt -- the "All For Love" theme (even though the video is self-indulgent poop; it should have been film clips!).  And Richard Chamberlain was a natural Aramis.

The trailer for the latest film incarnation turned me off from watching it.  Too CGI & Matrix-like with those bullet-evasions...yechhh.  Proof that I actually *won't* watch Matthew MacFadyen in "just anything", after all.

I would object to that verdict if it's the one featuring Orlando Bloom as Buckingham and Mads Mickelson as Rochefort.  I think it's worth watching, but possibly best in an altered state of conciousness.

Noted. Thank you! I will be sure to be very French and pour a glass of vin rouge

• Love 1

The only thing that really surprised me was that they didn't find some way to have Aramis sword-fighting, while holding the baby.  Because if anyone could pull that off, it would be Aramis.

It took me forever to place Marie, and I'm stunned to find out that was Tara Fitzgerald.  She looked and acting way, way different from Selyse Baratheon on Game of Thrones.  And, yet, still a crappy mother.  Go figure.  On the other hand, I totally recognized Simon Merrells as Vincent, Marie's lover/commander.  He was Crassus in Spartacus and The Founder in The Tomorrow People.

Agree that Athos was actually funny this time around, which was good to see, after using being the stuck as the serious one.  But pretty much everyone had a laugh out loud moment.  Hell, even Queen Anne's reaction to Louis running off like a child cracked me up.  For a brief second, she was wondering what did she just marry herself into.

Dammit, when is Milady coming back?!

I realize I'm probably in the minority, but I was troubled by the rightful king of France being sent off to Spain(?) with just a fairly naive mother as his only protector.  Exactly why were they so sure he was going to have a wonderful life with no cares or woes?   How long will Mom be able to hang onto that bag of money on the trip?  One good pickpocket and there it goes!  Then what is she going to do?

Granted one wouldn't want Grandma to have the raising of him, but that child has been deprived of his birthright, hasn't he?  Just sayin...

I enjoyed this episode. No romantic angst between Constance and D'Argtagnan. Liked Aramis' "do you have this?" to Constance.

Personally I don't miss Milady. The Cardinal doesn't seem like as much of a villain as we've been accustomed to.

I recognized Marie and Aunt Reed from Jane Eyre. And Agnes from Downton Abbey.

Next week looks interesting.

I don't know why they keep sending people off to Spain in series based in France. I guess because nobody ever expects The Spanish Inquisition. Duh Duh Duh!

They touched on it in the previous episode. The other boarding nation's were becoming Protestant and it would also take to long to reach and difficult to cross the borders

I waited around for this episode for D'art and Constance but overall I was underwelmned. Athos sometimes seems like a serious douche though I liked Ninon being so aggressive and throwing him off. Aramis continues to charm.  

In this anti-intellectual climate and with girls getting shot in the face for wanting an education, the message that girls should be educated and how education can change lives is welcomed. It was a bit heavy-handed but this is not a show for subtlety. I did like the point about Ninon having more choice than the girls she decided to help.

• Love 1

I actually liked this Athos centric episode. I thought he and Ninon (a HITG! for me who appeared in Pan-Am and Tudors) had lovely chemistry. I really liked their ending scene.

• Love 2

Come on now, Athos.  Usually you wait till the second or third date to take your date the local coroner office to look at dead bodies!

Have to admit that I went in with some personal bias when it came to Ninon, because I really disliked the actress' character on Pan Am, but I was won over at the end.  A bit heavy-handed, but I liked seeing the hardships that women went through back then, and someone standing up for them.  It's sad though that even to this day, there are some men who still think the way men did back then.  And, of course, seeing the church's meddling and the influence it had, is still going on.  Of course, I noticed that Richelieu really didn't seem to believe any of that, but was totally down with going with the flow, to further his own needs.  That Richelieu; he will do whatever it takes to get what he wants.

Glad that we got a bit more of Queen Anne this time, and her trying to stand-up for Ninon.  And, heh, the return of Aramis and Anne awkwardly flirting with each other.  I still find that kind of awesome.  Besides, Louis clearly had a crush on Ninon, so it's not like he would have a leg to stand on.

Milady is back, and continues to be evil and hot!  Now that Athos knows she's alive, I wonder what this is going to cause. 

D'Artagnan and Constance already hook-up.  I'm sure that's going to have consequences further down the line.

I like the fact that Louis is not just a Mama's boy-idiot.  He was wonderfully snarky to Mr Pope Envoy (who played Gwyneth Paltrow's cheating bf in Sliding Doors), and he obviously appreciates a woman with smarts, esp. when it comes wrapped in that sort of package.

Loved the plot twist about the poison on the Vatican trinkets.  The second time I watched, I noticed Fleur put her finger up near the rim of the glass, so if you were looking, she *could* have been slipping poison in there.

Another thing this show is about: where budding romances go to die.  Ah well.  That was a pretty hot kiss between Athos and Ninon.  Yet once again, our closing scene is a Musketeer bidding his current crush good-bye.

Aramis and his talk of spirituality neatly ties in to Book Aramis.

• Love 1

Interesting ep. Loved the scene with Marie and Richelieu because in real life he gained favor in the French court through Marie. He was even banished with her at one time, but Louis and Marie reconciled and Richelieu was back in favor. He then won the King's support. Marie and other nobles were jealous of his power and tried to get rid of him, but Richelieu won.  The scene could have gone so much further with this back story.

I wonder if they are going to bring in Louis' other (real) brother Gaston d'Orléans. He really brought about a revolt which was quashed. Don't mind the baby going to Spain, it was the only way. They had to keep Louis on the throne in the show and couldn't kill the kid...

I'm still liking the four eye-candy. My favorite changes with the scene...

• Love 1

It looks like it's just the first one because the running time is 2 hours. It also looks like it's running as part of Faye Dunaway day since it's followed by 3 Days of the Condor and Chinatown.

If I understood the question.

Edited by ABay

I'm still liking the four eye-candy. My favorite changes with the scene...

I know right? Of all the TV shows I watch, this one easily beats any other in terms of the pretty. I haven't had that happen since I was watching Tom Welling in Smallville.

• Love 1