Type keyword(s) to search

The Musketeers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

D'Artagnan better watch his ass,

I think Milady and Constance would be perfectly happy watching D'Artagnan's ass for him.   For the record, so would I.

What?   It's summer, lazing around in the shallow end of the pool is perfectly acceptable.

• Love 3

I like the relationship between the four men and how supportive they are of each other.   The romance part is okay and it seems all of them get a chance to have some in their lives which is nice.  Okay, call me softhearted, but I like that all of them get a chance and no one is left out of getting their share of female companionship.

From the shallow end of the pool, I am really enjoying all the eye candy in this show :)

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Just checking this topic has a spoiler warning. After episode 4 (? The one with the Duke of Savoy), I really want a Treville & Richilieu backstory.

Louis and his ship were an absolute delight. He had a good point about how France had shot herself in the foot when it came to colonizing and the benefits they missed out on with commercial goods.

Of course, this was all well before our fun little revolution, so maybe they were better off.... ;)

I have to agree with the poster up-thread. Callis' reaction to "preparing the patient" was hilarious, but even better was how Athos and Aramis shrugged it off.

I have to agree with the poster up-thread. Callis' reaction to "preparing the patient" was hilarious, but even better was how Athos and Aramis shrugged it off.

Love means never having to say you're sorry after you punch your comrade before his impromptu post-battle surgery. Definitely one of the best and supportive Musketeer moments so far.

• Love 1
(edited)
Apparently adultery wasn't that big of a deal?

Co-sign the "They're French!" statement.  Plus, Romantic Love in Dumas' time was all about the One You Couldn't Have (as opposed to Courtly Love, which was all about the One You'll Never Fuck).

Aramis is still the best thing about this show, though I'm loving it more and more as the eps progress.  *So* glad I kept going through the first ho-hum half hour of the pilot.

Edited by voiceover

I think Milady and Constance would be perfectly happy watching D'Artagnan's ass for him. For the record, so would I.

What? It's summer, lazing around in the shallow end of the pool is perfectly acceptable.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I love this show.

Okay, this is two glasses of wine when I don't have to go to work the next day talking, but you know what this show is? It's "Robin Hood" with a brain. In other words, eye candy and swordplay that doesn't make you wince at the stupidity and make you feel like you have to completely apologize for watching it. (This is coming from somebody who's already watched the entire BBC first series.) The bad guys are a little more complex than mustache-twirlers. The good guys aren't saints. There's enough moral ambiguity to make you, every now and then, go, "Hmm. You know, you've got a point there." But, really, mostly, on a hot summer night what you watch it for it for the cool sword fights and the pretty boys and the sumptuousness of it all. Sans guilt!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Their opposite numbers at the time were the Cardinal's Guards, which is what Cyrano de Bergerac was.

Actually, de Bergerac was in the King's Guards. (a scene which is usually cut from the play is a brief cameo of d'Artagnan congratulating Cyrano after the famous sword fight in the first act.)

I have one question...in the book, was it ever mentioned if the Musketeers are equivalent to the Night's Watch or Kingsguard from Game of Thrones in that they can never marry or never father a child? MOrmis any of that even an issue?

It's been a decade since I read the book, but I don't remember them actually addressing this issue. Being a musketeer is not a life long sentence and though and after the first book, the original three retire. All three of them resume their real names and live "civilian" lives. Porthos gets married, Athos becomes a nobleman again, and Aramis becomes a priest. None of them father children legitimately, but Athos has a ward named Raoul at some point in the sequel Twenty Years After.

It wasn't addressed in the book, but only because no one thought it needed to be. They are part of the King's special guard, but not any religious or special forces as we see them. As with any soldier, marrying/adultery/courting, etc is up to their own conscience.

I've read the books, including the four volume Vicomte de Braggelone Or Ten Years Later and loved them. Raoul, seen as Athos' ward in the sequel Twenty Years After is revealed to be Athos' son in Ten Years later. (A one night stand between Madame Chevreuse (in the books, a one time mistress of Aramis.)  She thought he was a priest and thought it would be fun to seduce him and have the story to tell when she got older.)

I haven't really seen any new adaptions after the 1973. I really like that one, which followed the book as close as any I've seen and I like Gene Kelly's adaption, because well, Gene Kelly and it's the first adaption I saw. I usually hate the newer ones because they not only don't follow the book, I can't even recognize the characters.  I didn't think I was going to like this version, but even if they don't follow the books, the do have the essence of the characters, so I guess I'm hooked.

why I am not as in thrall to this Athos. He's too damn small.

Doesn't bother me too much, in the book he's not really that big and besides, Tom Burke is cute.

What does bother me is Milady is supposed to be blonde! Nice that they're going against type and putting any pretty woman with blonde hair in characters, but in the book that was one of her glorious features was she was so blonde. I wonder why they also took out the her branding?

Edited by Catlyn
  • Love 1

An American here, do we get any of the Anne and Duke of Buckingham?  It's in the book, or are they going to substitute Aramis with the Duke's role?

Welcome to the spoiled area, and there is no Duke in the first series. It does seem Aramis has taken the Duke's place in this adaptation which is fine by me. There is unlikely to be a Duke in the second series because the show takes places around 1630 after his death in 1628. Not that the show is obligated to follow any history, but I don't know if they'll add another level to Anne's relationships over the long term.

I just binged the series online and I'm really glad that Aramis took the Duke's place with Anne.  In fact, I think it would be hilarious if all of her children with the king (she had at least two if memory serves) were secretly fathered by Aramis.  I don't know why it would amuse me so much, but just thinking about it makes me laugh.

And I really hope Capaldi gets to twirl a cape at least once during his tenure as Twelve.

• Love 1

Not that the show is obligated to follow any history, but I don't know if they'll add another level to Anne's relationships over the long term.

If they ever go with the Duke, they may make him an obsessive creature bound to rekindle the thing they had with Anne way back, as she struggles to keep everything hidden from Louis, juggling her feelings for Aramis etc.

Actually, I never liked the Duke. They may turn him into a villain and I'd clap with joy.

• Love 1

I wonder why they also took out the her branding?

So she could wear all these fab dresses with no sleaves?...

With the hair, I think they went for the femme fatale look - the dark seductress and all. The branding was replaced by the neck scar, and it's much easier to cover with pretty ribbons (plus it makes for great dramatic moments of ripping the ribbon...)

Doesn't bother me too much, in the book he's not really that big and besides, Tom Burke is cute.
If you haven't already, @Catlyn, you should get hold of the 2nd series of The Hour. Burke has a significant role and at least one good scene with Peter Capaldi.
  • Love 1

I'm really loving this show. It's exciting, entertaining, and eye candy.

Howard Charles is a standout, IMO. His portrayal of Porthos has depth, and a touch of menace, which I dig. I never read the original story, so I can't say how he compares to Dumas' Porthos, but I'm glad this new Porthos is more than just comic relief.

I agree with the other posters who have mentioned the fabulous costuming. I'm impressed with what they've done with the four leads, and how well their clothes complement their characters. (By contrast, poor Constance's clothes are odd looking and ill fitting, but I'm going to chalk that up to her character's merchant-class status.)

My criticisms are few, and don't overshadow what I enjoy about the show --

Tom Burke is sometimes a bit flat. In particular, the scene in "Commodities" where Porthos was injured and Aramis had to shake Athos to make him realize the seriousness of the injury, Burke's reaction felt too wooden and un-emotional for the situation. Perhaps that's just Athos, but it struck me as odd. Although, I thought his later scene with D'Artagnan after the fire was very well done.

I also can't figure out why Constance keeps showing up in scenes and situations when she had no reason to be there (other than to chastise everyone). Others have mentioned how much spunkier she is than the typical Constance. Perhaps, but she's bugging me a bit. Hopefully she'll have something else to do soon.

And I suspect the writer of "Commodities" went to the Michael Scott School of TV Writing, where the most exciting thing that can happen in any scene is to pull out a gun....

But again, those complaints are minor. Overall, this is a fun show to watch, and I'm glad it's been picked up for a second season.

This wasn't my favorite episode-- mainly due to Athos's man pain and his pretty callous disregard for Porthos's injury. But despite that, there were a lot of great little moments through the episode so I won't complain too much.

It was a treat to see Gaius Balter, er, James Callis in this episode. He looked like he was having a pretty good time too. Too bad he was taken prisoner by the Spanish in the end-- would have been amusing if he popped up again.

• Love 1

I'm going to miss Peter Capaldi when he switches to Doctor Who. He was tremendous in this episode. His reaction to seeing D'A in disguise was perfect.

It was pretty obvious there would be a reasonable explanation for Treville's apparent betrayal. Cliche, yes, but I'm glad regardless.... I like Treville and would've hated to think he'd intentionally sent his own men to slaughter.

Constance no longer bugs me. She was adorable in this episode. I love that she wants to learn to shoot and fight. And I bet that will come in handy before the season is over....

Looking forward to more Porthos next week!

It took me a moment to recognize JJ Field (whom I adore). I wish he had played a different, less doomed character (and recurring).

I liked the episode nevertheless, but I find it strange that the musketeers could be so openly insubordinate and get away with punching their captain.

• Love 1

@LittleIggy I wonder if BBC has some sort of sideline or has heavily invested in leather somehow or another. Most of their action shows has an immense amount of leather!  Beautifully done, I have to admit, but why? and it isn't just recently, a lot of their shows in the past had at least one person head to toe in leather. 

I liked Aramis hustling to keep up with D'Artagnan there at the beginning when they were chasing the assassin guy.  It took me 10 full minutes before I realized that was JJ Feild! 

I have to say, angsty Aramis is so much better than angsty Athos.  Plus, thanks for the soaking wet Aramis, show.  I really appreciate it.  The less Athos there is, the better I think the show is.  He's just such a drag! 

I'm definitely thinking that D'Artagnan had other ideas of just exactly how Constance was going to show her appreciation to him.  I thought he was adorable in that scene.   

• Love 2

I'm officially sick of Constance. I don't find her cute, adorable, spunky, fiesty or any other adjective in that vein. I just find her a chick that's just looking for a better ladder to climb. Her crap about "you chose him over me?" WTH? Bitch, there is no you in that situation. But, I guess that I'm going to be subjected to the "awesomeness" of Constance and D'Art growing lurve and fascination.  Hopefully it won't be overwhelming so I can FF through it.

• Love 3

I'm officially sick of Constance. I don't find her cute, adorable, spunky, fiesty or any other adjective in that vein. I just find her a chick that's just looking for a better ladder to climb. Her crap about "you chose him over me?" WTH? Bitch, there is no you in that situation. But, I guess that I'm going to be subjected to the "awesomeness" of Constance and D'Art growing lurve and fascination.  Hopefully it won't be overwhelming so I can FF through it.

This romance is doing nothing for me either. I just don't really care for Constance, but I didn't care for her in the book either. Their attempts at making her better haven't worked. I FFed through their scenes too. I don't mind D'Artagnan when he is with other characters, but I don't buy their grand romance.

JJ Field did not look like his usual great self. That man deserves better, but it was great to see him and to ham it up with Aramis. That is some good eye candy.

• Love 1

“I was merely admiring [Constance] from a distance.”
“Make it as far away as possible!”  hee
D’Artagnan is growing on me.

I thought JJ looked more like himself in the last 10 minutes.  Probably the lighting, and the scowling...normally he doesn't look that constantly pissed off.

I agree; loved the Cardinal's knowing look to D'Artagnan.  It added a layer to that character beyond the mustache-twirling villain.

• Love 1

It took me a moment to recognize JJ Field (whom I adore). I wish he had played a different, less doomed character (and recurring).

I liked the episode nevertheless, but I find it strange that the musketeers could be so openly insubordinate and get away with punching their captain.

It took me a minute or so to recognize him (for much of the episode his head was down and face shadowed by his hat) and I too wish he were around a bit more.

He will be featured as Major John Andre in AMC's second season of TURN.  He's quite good in that role (and I swear, it has nothing to do with the fact that he looks delicious in his uniform, really it doesn't).

I'm going to miss Peter Capaldi when he switches to Doctor Who. He was tremendous in this episode. His reaction to seeing D'A in disguise was perfect.

Isn't there any reason he couldn't do both?

JJ Field did not look like his usual great self. That man deserves better, but it was great to see him and to ham it up with Aramis. That is some good eye candy.

For a show that I original checked out for "the pretty" - I am pleasantly surprised by how good the show is; the writing is rather decent, the acting fine, the show seems to know what it is, and it leaves its tongue firmly ensconced in cheek  - it all works for me.

I am definitely adding to my "buy" DVD list.

• Love 2
(edited)

Aramis and D'Artagnan are the pretty for me on this show with Athos coming in close behind those two. I looked up the guy who plays DA looks a thousand times better in this show than he ever has on anything else he's been in I'm.

Edited by missbonnie

I adore JJ Field, and was happy to see him guest star.  Knew he was a goner from the start though.

I was dreading the Constance/D'Artagnan romance because I hated it in the book (if you could even call it a romance).  Dude was so wishy washy you just wanted to slap him.  But it's obviously going in a different direction on the show, which is a good thing.  The only thing I miss a little is Constance's loyalty to Queen Anne.  I wonder if that will be incorporated at all later on.

I am definitely more invested in Aramis' story above everyone else here though.  I can't see this Aramis as a man of the cloth though.  The musketeer uniform looks too good on him.

• Love 1

@LittleIggy I wonder if BBC has some sort of sideline or has heavily invested in leather somehow or another. Most of their action shows has an immense amount of leather!  Beautifully done, I have to admit, but why? and it isn't just recently, a lot of their shows in the past had at least one person head to toe in leather. 

Because pretty boys look better in leather pants and leather jackets?

• Love 1

I finally got around to watching it (stupid On Demand took longer then normal), and I'm glad I did, since it was Aramis-centric this time. I definitely prefer Aramis drama to Athos drama, because while there is still angst, he still occasionally shows his wit and charm, during all the craziness.  The story of the week was good enough, even though I figured Treville wasn't going to have full-blown betrayed them, because, while a hardass, he really doesn't come off like that type of person.  But, the idea that he was following orders and Richelieu pulled one over him makes sense, and really explains why both of them can't stand each other.

Speaking of Richelieu, Peter Capaldi was great in this episode.  Loved all his facial reactions, big speeches, and he even provided some laughs.  I especially loved his line after the Duke got his butt handed to him by Athos.  I guess Richelieu is cool with the Musketeers when there acts benefit him!

So, D'Artagnan is teaching Constance how to fight.  They've already done the shooting part, which, of course, leads to him getting up close to her and putting his hands on her waist to teach her.  Always a popular choice on TV.  Only thing left to do is sword training that ends with them falling on top of each other, and staring into each others' eyes!  Yeah, this plot really isn't breaking any ground, but I don't mind.

Louis was also cracking me up in this episode.  I do with they find something more for Anne to do.  Besides her stuff with Aramis in episode 2, she mainly just seems to be around to be the calm person in the room.  Hopefully, they'll find ways to get her to interact with the rest of the cast.

Recognized the Duke as Vincent Reagan, Leonidas' Captain in 300.

The show continues to be very enjoyable.  It's not breaking barriers, but this cast and characters really is just fun to watch.

• Love 2

Media topic! Please be careful about spoilers since the BBCA is not halfway through S1 as of this writing.

I really just wanted to start this topic because of this video that Youtube suggested for me. No spoilers:

• Love 2

I was thinking about it some more and, in addition to wanting Aramis to father all of Anne's children, I also want Athos to get more and more exasperated each time it happens.  Say the show gives her...four children with "the king".  The only ones who ever know the truth are Anne, Aramis and Athos, so it never gets played as a potential threat of treason and death.  Instead, the natural comedy is played to its maximum and Athos increasingly loses his mind in frustration each time Anne announces a pregnancy but can't express himself without revealing the truth and putting all their lives at risk.  Keeping Porthos and D'Art in the dark would only make it funnier.  I absolutely loved Athos' reaction to seeing Anne and Aramis in bed together and I want more.

• Love 2
Isn't there any reason he couldn't do both?

Yes. Taking on the lead role in Doctor Who is a full time commitment. He just wouldn't be available while The Musketeers was also being filmed, half a continent away.

So I re-watched this episode (several times actually, but who's counting!), and there's something that still confuses me:

If I understand everything correctly, Cornet and his Musketeers were carrying letters from the King to a Spanish envoy.  The were to meet the envoy at the monastery, but none of them ever arrived.  Richelieu somehow found about the letters, and put Milady on the task of obtaining them, which she did.

I'm assuming that Mendoza was the envoy, but that's just an assumption since no other known Spaniards present in the episode.

I'm also assuming that Milady stole the letters from Mendoza after he received them from Cornet, but that too is an assumption.

If that's correct, then that would mean that Cornet met up with Mendoza on the road before the monastery.  Porthos and Aramis later learned that Cornet had bags full of Spanish gold, which the Gaudet and the Red Guard stole with they killed Cornet and his men.  So Cornet must have already received the gold from Mendoza in exchange for the letters.

Milady tells Richelieu that Mendoza betrayed his country for "a handful of gold and a place in my bed."  I'm not sure what she meant by that.  If Mendoza was just an envoy ferrying the King's letters from Cornet to Spain, and if Milady seduced and murdered him and stole the letters, how exactly did Mendoza betray Spain?

What am I missing about this?

I am starting to lose interest myself. I don't think it helps that I find the actress to be completely wrong for the part. She is too large for the actor playing D'Artanian and I have trouble really seeing him attracted to her. Then add on the fact that she is constantly upset about something... what a harpy. Then, on top of that, she is married and still perfectly happy to act like D'Art is her boyfriend -- but, still walks around constantly reminding everyone she is a married lady.  Finally, I don't get a ton of chemistry either.

• Love 1
(edited)

For me, the standard that I hold all others to (excepting the source material, of course) is the Richard Lester films of the 70s. That said, I am looking forward to checking out this iteration.

Oh, I was SO in love with Michael York's impulsive, impetuous, heroic, and clumsy D'Artagnan! I remember being disappointed when I started following his other projects and he was nothing like him, ha! Frank Finlay as Porthos was hilarious and warm, Oliver Reed's Athos was merciless, sweaty, wounded, and sexy in a dangerous way, and Richard Chamberlain's Aramis was as devilishly handsome and dapper as he was pious. I loved them all.

Faye Dunaway's Milady was and is wonderfully eeeevil and a study in surviving as a woman at court. Her green, poisoned-filled glass daggers were awesome, as were her elaborate costumes and gorgeous wigs! Her seething desperation and crafty manipulation were perfectly performed. She was my hero... until she killed Raquel Welch's dim but brave Constance.

Charleton Heston played Richelieu almost bored, even though he was the puppet-master, and to me the real villain was Christopher Lee's Rochefort.  Diabolical, despicable, and wretched. I cheered when at the end of the exhaustive swordfight with D'Artagnan, the Gascon finally put steel through his black heart. 

It was funny, light, dirty, dramatic and delightful. I bought the soundtrack on an LP just so I could relive the film in a day before VCRs. I now need to go find it and watch it again! "All for ONE...!!"

Edited by Dionysa
  • Love 4

I loved the 70s movies. They were the first ones I saw, and I was enthralled from the opening credits and that slow-motion sword fight. Been hooked on sword fights ever since. I also fell in love with Michael York - (between that and Cabaret, which I was too young to fully understand), he was a definite crush for a while. What a cast those movies had. I was fascinated, too, with Geraldine Chaplin for being Charlie's daughter. I still love them, and I really appreciate Oliver Reed's performance now. --I'm enjoying this current series a lot and don't mind that it's not following the book. I think the cast has great chemistry.

• Love 2

Michael York was the weak link for me. I enjoyed him in other things, but D'Artagnan is such a dope I just couldn't stand him. I was so relieved not to loathe the D'Artagnan in this adaption, based on ho repellant I've found all of the other portrayals beginning with York. Except for older D'Artagnan in sequels.

Oliver Reed is the gold standard Athos imo. Rrrrowr.

• Love 1

It's true, D'Artagnan was a country rube at first, but he was a fast learner at their three knees, and became as much a hero and skilled swordsman fighting for justice as the others, truly earning his place at their side. They all became so fond of him, they took up his mission to find and rescue Constance (..."but my Constance, snatched from my side I love with my heart!"), a fool's errand that they all knew would end badly, somehow. 

Sadly, because it was a Porthos centred episode, I found the Porthos parts of the episode to be the least interesting. Granted, I have never been a Porthos fan in any version so I may be a little biased. I just have no interest in his backstory.

I enjoyed Aramis, D'Artagnan & their brand of CSI: Paris. Aramis really is becoming the best part of the show for me & D'Artagnan improved over last week. Perhaps the lack of Constance helped. Athos continues to be my weak link. Something about the way the actor delivers his lines throws me off. I did love however, the scene where Aramis shoots the door open, D'Art sort of cowers in behind & Athos just stands there like they do this all the time.

• Love 1