Type keyword(s) to search

The League - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I liked some of the concepts, like having a "trophy" version of another friend. And I empathized with the "no more soccer" plot line, though more because competitive soccer at such young ages is overkill vs. missing football games.

But I really have no use for Taco, and Andre is only funny when he, like Tobias Bluth on Arrested Development, keeps saying awkward things that he doesn't realize sound awkward.

The whole 'pooping outside' idea was much funnier in the Yobogoya episode, IMO.  Kevin's reactions really sold it for me, Pete's not so much.

Maybe this was supposed to be a callback to that episode, but it came across to me as laziness or the writers being short on ideas.

This was worth it for: I *am* trophy Jenny. If that was an ad lib, it was brilliant. 

I also liked the pick up game with everyone having a whistle. 

Soccer refs don't wear stripes either, but I digress.

Edited by ganesh

I didn't think this was that bad. Kevin seemed more upset that Jenny was awake and not actively interested in having sex. I didn't care for that plot, but the rest was funny.

The whole spiel about Korean Jesus was funny. If that was ad libbed, kudos.

Workplace fantasy is a fun idea, but it's just silly in a courtroom. Although, I think this is the first time I've seen them actually work. 

Edited by ganesh

Nothing? No comments? OK, I'll go ... this show drives me mad, with its very funny concepts and then awkward execution. The Yank Bank discussion, and having Taco immediately "get it," was great. It's link with Andre, and his inability to deal with a former crush who is asking for his expertise, was not. 

As someone that liked when Andre would actually come out ahead, and wished Pete would lose at everything, the ending was very disappointing. I know that Andre is forever the butt of the joke, but I believe that was way over the line (even for the show's universe).

• Love 2

I don't know. I thought Duece's relief at not being Andre's son was funny. As was Rafi begging Brian to look at him while he was fucking Martha.

And I think, in their subtle way, it was a little attack on the daily fantasy sites for taking the fun out of fantasy football and making it all about money. Cool that Pete realized that losing his league outweighed winning a million bucks. Maybe. 

Not the best finale ever, but for the show that it was, it was as Shiva said. 

I actually liked it because it was all about how it wasn't fun and winning the million didn't matter because he got the sacko.

Me, too. I don't know why they were at the Hindu temple for the award "ceremony," other than the temple had an actual shrine. Everything else seemed so random.

I'm sad it's over just because I've lost so many shows this year, but I'll take it if this means I never ever have to see Rafi on my show again. I don't think I have ever known of a more wretched character and I have no idea why the show loved him.

The video to the Douce was really mean, even for them. And hey shitnugget, don't get so excited he's not your dad because it sounds like he did a lot for you in your life.

• Love 1
I actually liked it because it was all about how it wasn't fun and winning the million didn't matter because he got the sacko.

Yeah, clearly, they portrayed all those guys as just boring jerks. I think that was the point. For as much as they scream and yell about their own league, they don't play for money, and they're always watching the games having beers, ripping on one another. 

Me, too. I don't know why they were at the Hindu temple for the award "ceremony," other than the temple had an actual shrine.

They did set that up in the episode prior. 

This season wasn't the strongest. I thought this was a good finale. 

I mean, really, the premise is fairly thin. They were able to stretch it out for 7 seasons. And the NFL cameos were always kind of fun.

I never thought I'd be glad this show was over. Such a shame, I used to love it and laugh so much, this season though has been a chore to get through with laughs thin on the ground. I wish that they hadn't ended with them yet again bullying Andre (and in such an awful way!), I would have liked Andre to have a happy ending, it was always fun when he had a win. Pete, Jenny and Kevin became so nasty this season, they constantly pranked and teased each other in the past but Ruxin was the only one who was nasty consistently throughout the series, the others generally just sailed close to the wind.

Watched the whole series over the last month and a half or so. It was pretty funny considering I don't really care about football. Least favourite character was definitely Kevin just because he seemed like too much of a dumb meathead to actually make it as a lawyer. 

The show had some surprisingly good continuity for a sitcom though and the cast worked really well together. Plus Rafi pretty much always made me laugh (although I didn't really care for his story eps) especially the jokes about Brian being his best friend. 

18 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Watched the whole series over the last month and a half or so. It was pretty funny considering I don't really care about football. Least favourite character was definitely Kevin just because he seemed like too much of a dumb meathead to actually make it as a lawyer. 

The show had some surprisingly good continuity for a sitcom though and the cast worked really well together. Plus Rafi pretty much always made me laugh (although I didn't really care for his story eps) especially the jokes about Brian being his best friend. 

congrats on getting through it considering you don't care about football. I love this show and still watch it regularly. At the beginning Rafi made me laugh but his storylines got more and more gross throughout the show.

15 hours ago, juno said:

congrats on getting through it considering you don't care about football. I love this show and still watch it regularly. At the beginning Rafi made me laugh but his storylines got more and more gross throughout the show.

If helped that I liked a lot of the actors before watching the show. As for Rafi he definitely worked better in smaller doses (show up say something gross, eat a hog dog, call Kevin, Brian annoy Ruxin, leave). One thing I did appreciate was how Rafi and Taco were both weirdos but they gave them very distinct personalities. Because Taco made me laugh a lot especially all the Taco Corp and EBDB stuff. Although it took me like 6 seasons before I realized that Jon Lajoie was in the Canadian version of that Last One Laughing show on Prime Video that I watched last year.

• Like 1