Type keyword(s) to search

Kim Of Queens - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Aw, poor Adia (do I have the name right)? She was convinced to try pageantry, only to face the reality of not having the "perfect" body. How did that help her confidence, Kim? I hope she gets over the disappointment and finds other ways to pursue her talent and enjoy her childhood.

The more I watch this series, the more I wish they would get rid of the kids and just focus on the Georgia Gabor sisters. It would be great fun to hang out at the beauty salon with the three of them (Kim, her sister and mother). Although the constant being "on" might get old real quick. They're already starting to try too hard to perform for the cameras.

Edited by pasdetrois

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204507909604965&set=o.155575071172025&type=1&theater

I believe, if I read it correctly, Anslee and the other girl get to go to Miss Georgia next year. So, unless Kim pulled one out of her butt this summer, one of her former girls has indeed made it -- without her. :)

She gets to go to Miss Georgia Outstanding Teen.  

As for Anslee making it without Kim, Kim was her coach for many years and taught her most of what she knows.  I am not knocking the new coach but Kim is the one who really taught her the most.

• Love 1

I liked the premise of the pagent.  Anything that gets kids looking at the bigger world is a good thing.   And I thought the three girls did great, especially Addison being 'out of the box' on the traditional costume:  what might have worked better was to start off in a kimono, then do a reveal to the modern outfit.

• Love 1

Victoria is the anti-Kim, she can stay on her side of the fence. I loved Addison breaking the board, and I love the episodes where there is at least one "ugly duckly" who becomes a swan. Teresa broke my heart a little because I was a lot like her at that age.

I am very curious as to why they are running two new episodes each week instead of letting the series play out like normal? Do they have too many new shows to cram in, or is this one on the way out after this season?

• Love 2

Rayven's mom is Angie Lite. She's getting on my nerves. And I think she's getting on her daughter's nerves as well.

Brave of Hannah to tell her story. And when Deb was saying how she grew up a certain way, I thought to myself, "I bet you did. I bet you were aneroxic yourself." And even though they aren't on the show, it's nice to see the Dads out there in the audience.

Addison just cracks me up. She was making faces at the pig farmer, but I guess she forgot that not that long ago she was on this show playing in the mud, shooting at things, and barely able to walk in heels.

• Love 3

I'm horrified they convinced Hannah and her mother to reveal the eating disorder on national TV. Shame on the mother for allowing it.  Hannah is too young to be exposed this way.

For all her patter about wanting to empower girls, I think Kim (and production) are using these girls for ratings. Very Dance Moms.

I love this show, but I hope they don't try to turn it into another Dance Moms. Kim is the anti-Abby Lee Miller, so it seemed a bit odd to hear her say, "This pageant will determine who I take to Nashville." Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it seemed like a Dance Moms move. Also, the Kim/Victoria thing reeks of Abby/Cathy. This show doesn't need that kind of stuff to be fun and interesting. I hope they don't ruin the feel-good essence of the show.

• Love 2

You know, I think I'll skip this one. Sounds too "Dance Moms" for my taste. I'm new to this one - saw it as an alternate competitive universe to the show I've now dropped. Same artificial nonsense popping up here? No thanks.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

I'm horrified they convinced Hannah and her mother to reveal the eating disorder on national TV. Shame on the mother for allowing it.  Hannah is too young to be exposed this way.

As someone who was bulemic in my teens, I'm very sensitive to the subject of eating disorders. As a music teacher, I work mainly with children 8-14.  I see many girls (and a few boys too) as young as 9 or 10 that are way too self conscious about their weight.  Children as young as 7-8 are now struggling with body image and eating disorders. When Deb and Hannah chose to be on this television program, they knew they would be exposing much of their lives to a national audience.  I think its very brave of Hannah to admit something that is so painful and in some peoples' view, shameful.  From what we've seen of Hannah and her personality, I think she must truly think that telling others about her problem might help those who have the same problem.  What I do question is whether or not the pageant world is a good place to inhabit if struggling with an eating disorder.  Models and dancers are high risk for eating disorders, and since pageants emphasize physical beauty and oftentimes feature swimsuit competitions, if I were Hannah's parents, I would perhaps steer her away from a competitive world where staying thin is important.  

• Love 4

I tuned in but my TV showed an episode of True Tori, even though my Comcast guide said this episode.  I set the DVR for the repeat early this morning and will watch later tonight, but I wonder if it did broadcast eventually last night?

• Love 2

There are some rumors out there (and a Change petition protesting it) that Kim of Queens was cancelled. Not totally surprising, given the way they've been airing double episodes lately to blast them out, but what a shame. I found Kim to be very inspiring and motivational to the girls. Nothing at all like Dance Moms. She was more about them finding themselves than putting pageant shenanigans first.

I watched the finale online and it was pretty good, though I did suspect some producer shenanigans with the pageant similar to DM. As if it were actually not a regional/national circuit pageant but an "invitational." The results were very convenient to the show's stars and the competition didn't seem all that impressive.

You can watch it here on the Lifetime website.

Edited by taragel
  • Love 2

If you go to Lifetime's Facebook page, there are lots of people protesting the airing of True Tori and canning of the finale of this show. There is also a petition with Change.org to keep the show. At this point, I have no idea if it's canceled or not, but it's not looking too good.

I got info this morning which I cannot post, but suffice it to say that it's probably a good thing this show is off the air.

I know reality shows are not always "real" but this one not only jumped the shark, it jumped the ocean. What is public record is that the Pageant Place doesn't exist. Kim does not coach girls. None. She does motivational speaking engagements, which she pockets the money for, but she does not coach girls for pageants. She is in no way affiliated with the Miss Georgia pageant system.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

• Love 1

Wow, if this is true, then the show clearly misrepresented the facts in more than the usual way of TV shows. Interesting that all the mothers went along with this. And shame on Kim and her family for participating.

So, were the pageants we saw legit? I always thought it was odd that Kim and her family were allowed to be in the wings, and that her girls placed so highly almost every time. It seemed almost completely scripted to me.

I wonder if the show was cancelled because someone screamed FRAUD and threatened to sue?

I can see Kim as a motivational speaker, but I bet it doesn't pay very well - very limited audience for what she's selling, especially in this economy.

ETA: the exterior of the Pageant Place location looked like the exterior of a failed bank. Who knows where they shot the interior locations...

Kim's submission for LinkedIn states she is the owner of the Pageant Place and Beloved Beauty. She must have just created it, because she shows zero connections. The write-up she submitted states the following:

"Kim Gravel is the Southeast’s premier pageant and beauty coach with an extensive background in both fields. In 1991, at the age of 19, Kim became one of the youngest Miss Georgia in the state pageant’s history. She went on to represent her home state in the infamous Miss America pageant and as a result was asked to serve as US Goodwill Ambassador to Japan. She has taken her expertise and experience in the pageantry world and uses it now to coach and train the elite pageant contestants of this generation. Kim has worked for Revlon and Christian Dior as make-up artist; served as National Cosmetology Association spokesperson; and served as a make-up artist and stylist to over 100 fashion shows and photo shoots. In 2009, she launched her own boutique cosmetic line, Beloved Beauty. She has logged thousands of hours as a host of award-winning talk shows "Friends & Neighbors" and "Atlanta Live". Her comfortable style and solid reputation have made her one of the most sought after interviewers in Atlanta for publicists, authors, actors and public figures. Combining her expertise skills of communication and leadership, Kim is also a certified Life Coach. Kim works with people in large groups as well as on an individual basis. Her compassionate yet straight forward "Dr. Phil-esqe" style keeps her in high demand as a Life Coach, mentor and advisor. As lead singer and songwriter of recording group Beloved, Kim entertains and sings to thousands across the country every year, including hosting the sold-out Beloved women's conference annually in Atlanta. Kim has been managing people and projects for many years in the corporate world in the area of cosmetics, property management and construction. Even with all her business endeavors, she still finds time to raise her two boys, Beau and Blanton with husband Travis.

Specialties:Pageants, Beauty, TV Host"

Edited by pasdetrois

Interesting that all the mothers went along with this

Not all did. If you notice, several were not back this season. Just the ones who wanted to be on television.

The parents did not know ahead of time how the show would be scripted. Contracts were signed, they thought it would be a good thing for their daughters....then their scripts arrived. It was a sad situation for several girls. If you tried to get out of the contract, you could either be sued or lose any money the girl might earn when DVDs were sold or shows were re-run.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think the pageants were real. One that I know of was shot in a warehouse, extras were paid to be in the audience.

One thing I can say, for if you Google around you'll find info, the girls on the show who were magically transformed were actually pageant veterans who've been competing for years. I think it's why their last names weren't used a lot on the show, so you couldn't look them up and find what they've actually done.

(edited)

Someone just told me they saw a preview and this is back on Lifetime tomorrow night? I thought it was cancelled. 

ETA: Oh apparently it is still cancelled but they're showing three never-seen episodes April 7, 14, and 21. 

Edited by taragel

Take a look at the KoQ in the media thread...it explains what has happened to the show.  I am surprosed as I liked Kim.  This episode is one of 3 previously not shown.  My understanding is that the show was cancelled. 

I wished the show didn't decide to take the 'Dance Mom's' route with the fake drama of 'rival' coaches going head to head at the pagent. 

Does anyone know if these are available online anywhere? I can't watch as they air (at the dance studio with my daughter), and apparently Comcast doesn't have them available on-demand like they did for the regular series.

Someone just told me they saw a preview and this is back on Lifetime tomorrow night? I thought it was cancelled. 

ETA: Oh apparently it is still cancelled but they're showing three never-seen episodes April 7, 14, and 21. 

I wondered what happened to this show. My DVR picked up the episode that aired last night. What a shame we couldn't get a legit pageant show.

I saw this one last night. I thought it was great that Kim pulled Hannah off the stage. Welcome to the world of consequences, Hannah! But I also thought it was interesting that Kim didn't call it what it was - straight up cheating. It was really sad that Deb is one of those people who not only saw nothing wrong with it, but actually helped her daughter break the rules. Actually that wasn't the sad part. The sad part was her excuse that it was because Hannah is competitive. So Hannah's not a cheat, right? She's not a bad person, she just wants to win! That makes it ok? It was exasperating, watching Hannah and Deb play victim, and bemoaning the fact that Kim was trying to force her to wear a "doo-doo brown" dress (completely overlooking the fact that Hannah chose that dress herself.) Way to teach your kid integrity, Deb. Hannah broke the rules, she tried to manipulate Kim, and she tried to give herself an unfair advantage over everyone else in the competition. If she suffered a little public humiliation as a result, it was well deserved and a lesson well learned. As Dr. Phil says "when you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences."

I also question both Deb and Hannah's intelligence if they thought they would get away with it. They've known Kim for years. They had to know she would be pissed off and that she'd do something about it.

I thought it was very strange logic for Mason's mom to put her kid in pageants to make friends and feel pretty and confident. It's a situation where girls compete with each other, where beauty has more to do with what you adorn yourself with, not what you actually look like, and where she was bound to fail the first time out of the gate. It seems like some other group activity where the kids work together to achieve a mutual goal that's based on talent/skill/hard work would be more useful. A sport or a theater group, or something like that. Having said that, at least the other girls were nice to her, although I do wonder how much of that was for the cameras.

I also wondered, not for the first time, how many children Kim is working with. She must have quite a business if that's her full time job, and she has that nice facility. I'm so curious about how all of this works. Do the parents pay some kind of monthly fee, that covers coaching as well as makeup, dresses, and all that? It seemed like money was not a concern when they were choosing dresses.

• Love 2

Kim doesn't have a facility and she doesn't coach girls. It's all just for the show. I found this out last year after one of the girls from the first season left and never wanted to be a part of it anymore. Every girl who has appeared on the show are pageant pros, they've been competing for years. The "ugly ducklings" included. There is no Pageant Place.

• Love 1
(edited)

Kim doesn't have a facility and she doesn't coach girls. It's all just for the show. I found this out last year after one of the girls from the first season left and never wanted to be a part of it anymore. Every girl who has appeared on the show are pageant pros, they've been competing for years. The "ugly ducklings" included. There is no Pageant Place.

Arrgh. I know these reality shows are all contrived, but I'm disappointed that Kim of Queens is completely fabricated.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 1

Update on two of the girls... I had posted about this in March, but apparently it was preliminary competitions. The full-blown Miss Georgia pageant is going on this week.

Anslee, the blonde girl who didn't come back for the second season (the one who had trouble dancing or singing) will be in the Miss Georgia pageant, along with Rayven, the black girl who's mother was a pill during the second season. Neither of them coached by Kim, by the way. Good luck to both girls!!