Type keyword(s) to search

Kim Of Queens - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I did notice from the preview that it seemed like it was mostly different girls. Do you have any more info on what kind of drama? Not surprised where Maura's mom and Ainslee are concerned though. The moms probably didn't like the way they came off in the first season.

That said, I really liked season 1 of this thing. Maybe it was just after watching the heinous Abby Lee on Dance Moms, but Kim seemed like such a breath of fresh air.

Kelly is mom to Addison and Deborah is mom to Hannah. From what I could find out (not much) they both will be back for Season 2. I saw a preview and did see Marah. so I assume her and her mom, Angie, are back for Season 2. I don't know about Anslee, as of last season she didn't have a talent she felt comfortable with so I'm not sure she's back for Season 2.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/kim-of-queens/video/season-2/episode-1/kim-of-queens-season-2-begins-september-16-preview-clip

Kim didn't do anything to Marah, Angie. YOU did it all by yourself. I feel so badly for Marah, but if she really wants a future in pageants, she needs to get someone besides her mother to be by her side.

I had known Angie was asked to leave but didn't want to mention it until it aired. Anslee, who didn't come back by her and her mom's own choice, won Miss Georgia Girl this summer in her division.

Adia made me cry, I hope she and her mom have good things coming to them soon.

• Love 2

Deb has undergone a total transformation and wow, does she ever look better than last year!

I love how Kim is the anti-Abby Lee Miller in terms of her attitude and behavior toward the girls, so I was concerned by her angry outbursts and diva behavior in this episode. But I loved how she apologized for her outburst and then took action to resolve the problem (poor Marah!).

I still love Mama Jo (so gorgeous!) and the final scene with her and Addison, though clearly scripted, was very cute.

• Love 2

Kim didn't do anything to Marah, Angie. YOU did it all by yourself. I feel so badly for Marah, but if she really wants a future in pageants, she needs to get someone besides her mother to be by her side.

I had known Angie was asked to leave but didn't want to mention it until it aired. Anslee, who didn't come back by her and her mom's own choice, won Miss Georgia Girl this summer in her division.

Adia made me cry, I hope she and her mom have good things coming to them soon.

Did you see where Rayven Bailey won the Brittany Stathes Caring Heart Award at that pageant?  Is this the pageant that was shown last night?  I seem to remember seeing that guy in the picture with Rayven on the show.  The pictures are on the pageants website.

So glad that Kim kicked Angie out.  It is a shame that Marah is the one that is paying the price for her mother's behavior.  Wonder what Angie's church thinks about her behavior on the show?  So glad I won't have to fast forward through the parts with Angie.  Maybe Angie thought she was on Dance Moms.  News Flash Angie, all the other mother's were paying Kim also.  They deserved her attention also.

Edited by iluvobx
  • Love 3

I love watching Kim and her mother and sister. But I don't like seeing young girls exposed to the adult arguments and having it broadcast on TV.

I think Ainslee did the series in the hopes of exposure for her career, and she's moved on. I don't think pageants were her interest.

Anslee's mother was part of the drama, manufactured or otherwise.  I'm guessing it's more because they didn't like the way they came off on television.  To me it's not a surprise that the mothers that are back are the ones that were the lowest drama last season--Deb and Kelly.

I'm glad this show is back.  It's a guilty pleasure.

And speaking of the mothers, I'm not sure I've every seen Deb angry before.  Or seen Deb and Hannah argue.  Though Deb looks so much better!  So good on that.

Poor Maura.  I feel so bad for that girl, but glad Angie is gone.  I'm not sure I could have watched all season of that.  Unfortunately Maura can't escape her.

I love Jo so much.

• Love 2

If Anslee is still competing outside of The Pageant Place, what is her talent?  She had no talent at TPP and that was her downfall in competing.  I'm curious.

The Deb/Hannah sassing was surprising, I've never seen those two go at it!

• Love 1

I think it says something that on Dance Moms, the parents claim to be stuck and unable to escape, but in Kim of Queens, on the same network, parents are choosing to leave if they didn't like the edit or felt it was too ramped up for drama. I can also understand leaving the show if you were used to your little group being Kim's priority, since the show tended to bring in a new girl and mostly focus on her for a week.

• Love 1

I saw Anslee's FB page.  I don't have time (or patience) to read through the whole thing, but did see she's got a new coach is has mentioned she's so much better/happier.  Makes you wonder what kind of drama was going on if this show is only 1 season old (starting 2) and what it'll be like after a few more seasons under it's belt.

The dad creeped me out in general, how he basically ignored the Ugly Duckling daughter until she got gussied up for the pageant, then suddenly he's as gung-ho about her as he is about the younger pageant daughter, with the not-so-subtle message that he only loves the kids who are "winners" and look good in a ballgown. Hopefully that angle was just played up for the show, otherwise he's a jackass of a father.

Also, I never understand why these reality shows assume the audience is a bunch of morons. Allisyn (sic) sneaks around behind Kim's back, yapping to no end how much trouble she'll be in if Kim ever finds out. If! I'm sure your secret is safe, Allisyn, it's not like there are a bunch of cameras following your every mov- oh, wait.... [eyeroll]

• Love 2

I hope this is the last of Angie. I could tell the whole thing was a producer set-up, and Angie isn't that good of an actress. I feel sorry for Marah because I can just tell her mother will be this way for the rest of her life.

Addison needs to dial it down a notch. Whoever is telling her to play the part of the baddass redneck is overdoing it.

I agree that the Dad is only interested in which daughter can win a crown. I also hope it's just producer driven, not the way he really is.

• Love 1

Yeah, we all saw that coming - Angie and Marah somehow reappearing after being given the heavily-scripted boot. What do you want to bet Kim allows them back in later this season?

It's too bad this season is so scripted. Kim doesn't need it - the producers should back off and let her do her thing.

• Love 2

Agree completely that this show is too heavily produced this season.  After watching Dance Moms the first couple of seasons, I quit watching when it became obvious that all of the drama over Kelly leaving and taking her girls and getting angry with Abby was producer driven.  Its not like its difficult these days to look things up on the internet and find out who is really winning these dance competitions or pageants.  The producer/writer driven storylines are so unnecessary.  One of the reasons I enjoyed Kim of Queens last season was because not only is Kim the total opposite of Abby Lee Miller and genuinely seems to care about these girls and wants to help them win pageants, but I didn't see as much manufactured drama in the show.  Oh I know that Addison wasn't really a newbie to the pageant world and that her redneck personality was being played up for the cameras and that much of the Allysin schtick was written in, but it didn't feel so obviously manipulated as Dance Moms or Project Runway.  Now, I'm truly seeing the heavy handed manipulation of Lifetime in the show. Kim & Co coaching the girls is entertaining enough for me. I truly hope that we don't ever have to see Marah and Angie again, but I fear we will and it will be Dance Moms and Kelly all over again.  If that happens, I'm out.  

• Love 1

The tomboy-turned-archer-princess Asa (sp?) does kind of resemble Jennifer Lawrence. Wow, she's beautiful, and her transformation on the show was amazing. Her reluctant explanation about how the "mean girls" all start wearing makeup at her age, and how it becomes a point of identity not to go that route yourself lest you feel like a sellout--that jabbed me right in the heart because that was exactly my own experience in middle and high school. (I'm close to Kim's age; that high school social-stratification crap never changes.) Anyway, I like to think Asa was genuine, and not one of the other "newbies" on this show who've actually been around the pageant scene a long time.

This may sound dumb, but I was a little disappointed they didn't show any more snippets of Asa's little sister in GRITS pageant. I know the "ugly duckling" was supposed to be the focus of this ep, but last year the producers were more inclusive, presumably because Deb's daughter Hannah was in a younger division last year. 

• Love 2

There is NO Way that Dad knew what he was doing.  Did you see her little sister's eyebrows?  They looked like Oscar the Grouch.  I'm sure it was all for the show.  I kind of liked the Dad.  I'm sure if he was willing to go on a tv show for his oldest child that he loves both of those girls.  I would have liked to see the little one a bit more though.  I get so annoyed with seeing Angie on there.  On season 1 all she did was cry on every episode.  She's so rude to everyone.  I really didn't see any of the other Mom's talk on season 1 without her butting in.  Then she starts out on season 2 flicking everyone the finger. She just gets on my nerves. 

I think it says something that on Dance Moms, the parents claim to be stuck and unable to escape, but in Kim of Queens, on the same network, parents are choosing to leave if they didn't like the edit or felt it was too ramped up for drama. I can also understand leaving the show if you were used to your little group being Kim's priority, since the show tended to bring in a new girl and mostly focus on her for a week.

Different production companies.  DM is produced by Collins and Kim of Queens is produced by Relativity TV and Bognar Entertainment.  I would say different types of contracts.

I am so over Angie and her hateful, spiteful personality. She's ruining this show for me. I want her gone. I feel badly for her daughter, but I just cannot stand Angie. Period.

On the funny side, Mom and Allyson with her head wrap were hilarious.

• Love 2

I thought the "interaction" with Victoria was funny and interesting -- It was a bit scripted obviously but interesting to bring up different types of competition.  And I was a little weirded out at how much Victoria and the freeze girl looked like sisters!

• Love 1

After last week's episode, I posted that if producers were going to turn Kim of Queens into another Dance Moms by having Angie and Marah leave and come back, leave and come back, etc that I would stop watching.  This is the second episode after Kim letting them go that Angie and Marah have come back in some way. I'm going to give it another episode or two before bailing especially as I realized after posting last week that Angie/Marah may have some sort of contractual agreement to the show to fulfill.  As much as I despise Angie, I have to agree with her regarding Addison's new and improved dance--it was truly terrible!  My favorite moment of this episode was when Addison in her talking head, imitated the freeze model's pageant talent, then said "what the what?!"  That had me rolling.  Addison continues to amaze me with how beautiful and poised she is in the pageants compared to how she is any other time.  That girl's a born actress but I'm wishing there was less focus on her and the "new girl of the week" and more of the pageant place regulars like Hannah.

• Love 3

Why do shows always try to get cute in the second season instead of sticking with what made them popular in the first place? If I want drama, I'll watch Dance Moms (no thank you--I lived that life for 12 years. No need to rehash it).

No more Angie! Bleh, she really is pathetic and I feel so sorry for her daughter. One more episode and if it isn't Angie-free, I'm deleting Kim of Queens from my DVR.

• Love 1

They're only 3 episodes into S2 and the contrivances have already become too much. In S1, Kim at least made the pretense that she was going out to scout new girls for her weekly project. Now the producers would have us believe she's just bumping into these girls by accident--that they're not completely scripted setups? As Kim might say, c'mon, we're not dumb as a box o' rocks, y'all.

Is there some kind of hard-set rule of TV glam-overs that stipulates straight hair must get curls and curly hair must be straightened? There was no reason to iron out that little soccer jock's beautiful curls. A quirky, bouncy up-do would have been much more striking and left that poor kid with a thread of her personality.

• Love 1

I've never seen it either.  There was another episode on 09/30.  I wondered where Hannah has been this season.

I did find this:   

Hannah In A Huff

Season 2, Episode 3
Episode Synopsis: Allyson takes the moms out for a night on the town, while Kim prepares the girls for a DIY pageant.
Original Air Date: Sep 30, 2014

They say Angie's gone, but there hasn't been an episode without her yet.

Such a staged show, I wish they'd go a little more unstaged.  What is a young girl doing playing her soccer ball in a mall parking lot while mom shops?  She'd be safer at home kicking the ball in the backyard.  At least there she won't get ran over or kidnapped. Or risk kicking a ball into someones car or into an old lady! And when her mom rushes over to apologize, mom just happens to say, "she's a tomboy, but golly, I wish she could be more lady-like!"  Then, as Kim & Co. are pulling out of the parking space, they're saying, "I'm hungry, let's go eat!" as they're pulling out of a California Kitchen Take-Out only parking space!  The blunders are killin' me y'all. This show is about as real as Lee Press-On Nails as Kim would say, and has said.

The freeze model was a horrible actress and not that great at freezing. But I laughed at hard as lark37 did at Addison copying her.

Edited by ShaNaeNae

Is there some kind of hard-set rule of TV glam-overs that stipulates straight hair must get curls and curly hair must be straightened?

I see two possible explanations.  1) Hair product ads convince me that nobody is supposed to be happy with their natural texture.  Or, 2) They already know what they look like straight/curly and want to see how it looks the other way when a "pro" does it.  

• Love 2