Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E15: Winner Announced

• Start Topic

A winner is chosen as America's Favorite Dancer in the Season 11 finale. Jenna Dewan-Tatum, Debbie Allen, Tara Lipinski and Adam Shankman are the guest judges. Also: Enrique Iglesias sings "Bailando" with Sean Paul; and their are dance performances by Les Twins, Michael Dameski, winner of "So You Think You Can Dance Australia," and Wanted Ashiqz.

A winner is chosen as America's Favorite Dancer in the Season 11 finale. Jenna Dewan-Tatum, Debbie Allen, Tara Lipinski and Adam Shankman are the guest judges. Also: Enrique Iglesias sings "Bailando" with Sean Paul; and their are dance performances by Les Twins, Michael Dameski, winner of "So You Think You Can Dance Australia," and Wanted Ashiqz.

Oooooooh. I'm looking forward to Michael Dameski's performance. I hope he gets better choreography than Jack Chambers and Talia Fowler did. Both are exceptional dancers and did well with what they were given (Mia and Sonya respectively), but I felt it didn't showcase them as much as I thought it should. Michael is also a short, technical dancer - like Ricky Ubeda - but their styles couldn't be more different. I'd love it if he could dance with the contestants, but I doubt that will happen.

Edited by Anothermi

Thank you guys for updating here. I tried watching but I was bored to tears by the second dance since I realized this finale show is going to be dull as hell since I disliked like 90% of the dances this season. But did someone wipe out during that Top 20 dance? Stanley, maybe?  Also, Zack didn't even get second?? WTF? Arghh why do you hurt me like this SYTYCD? I'm glad I watched US Open Tennis instead.

• Love 2

Ricky is good, but I think I'm done with this show. It used to be better than other reality competition type shows because the judges actually gave constructive criticism and seemed to know what they're talking about. I'm tired of all of the judges that don't seem to belong on a show about dance. I'm tired of musical guests just wasting time. And I got so tired of the judges pandering this season. I liked this show because I enjoy watching dance. But it's just gotten too annoying. Nigel needs to learn to shut up. And I miss some of the better choreographers who are no longer participating in the show. I think this will be it for me if the show returns next year.

• Love 1

Congrats, Ricky.  I think he's a deserving winner.  A little internal for me.  I think he dances with passion but it doesn't translate outward enough.  That's something he can learn, though.

Tuned in for the last half hour and was shocked, shocked! that Zach was cut first.  Saw Jessica cut.  She gave such a beautiful smile.  I liked her Travis routine with Robert much better this time around, at least for the first half.  She was stunning.  Still don't care for Robert.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the Bollywood crew.  Didn't their number seem extra long?  The stamina!  I also really enjoyed the Top 10 + All Stars routine, although I didn't recognize everyone.  Fikshun and Emilio have star quality.  They were on fire.

Valerie has grown a lot.  She was quite lovely in the reprise routine with Ricky.  I thought he wasn't fully there.  Ahead of the beat or something.

Jesse Tyler Ferguson's bit with Travis was amusing.  Tara Lipinski, really?  What else was danced tonight?

I enjoyed the season, except for last week.

I'm actually ok with Ricky winning, I cannot deny how talented he is. And it just occurred to me that he is less than two years older than my son. I'm not used to the people I watch on reality shows being so close to my punkin in age. I need him to stop growing up, dammit!

I'm more irritated with Zach getting fourth, I though he was for sure second.

When I watched the Aussie winner, all I could think is that it looked like a very nice floor routine for an Olympic gymnast. His moves were pretty and the musicality was nice, but it was more tricks than dancing to my untrained eye.

I liked those twins too, especially the one in the bucket hat. And the glimpses I saw of Teddy were always welcome.

The top 10/All-Stars routine was too dark for me to be able to tell most of them apart, other than Brandon's lovely locks.

• Love 5

Wasn't that Will? huh.

I never try to pick out individuals in group routines. If I notice who it is that's fine but I really don't care.

They didn't announce another season did they? I was waiting but nothing. And no drama about not being picked up either.

• Love 1

Oh duh, I'm an idiot. Yes, it was Will. I knew typing Brandon didn't seem right!

If I never hear the word "Shazam" again it will not be soon enough. I can't believe they did a freakin' montage of it. It made my ears hurt.

Never has a "dancer" received so little criticism, danced so sloppily and heavily, and forced so many choreographers to dumb the routines to a point where the other dancer did all the work, and the stage crew worked harder, than Valerie.  That Zack and Jessica (not to mention real talents like Carly and Tanisha) were eliminated ahead of her turned this show into a farce.  If they had challenged her, and gave her honest criticism, she would have been the first one eliminated.  For shame.

Now that my bitterness is out, I want to congratulate the real winners: Zach, Ricky and Jessica, in no particular order.  Three very talented young people with a solid work ethic and danced beautifully.  I also congratulate Tanisha and Carly who went home too early.

I also want to thank Allison, Jasmine, Fik-Shun and Will Wingfield (and a few I wish I had recognized in that great Tayeh/Scott routine towards the end) for showing up and lighting up the stage.

I'm sorry that Malene and Marcquet didn't get to do that ballroom.  Was there any ballroom tonight?  No?  Yeah that's what I thought.

To Sonya Tayeh: Please return my pair of clothes drying racks, my nylon stockings need to hang. <3

Edited by Toaster Strudel
  • Love 11
Never has a "dancer" received so little criticism, danced so sloppily and heavily, and forced so many choreographers to dumb the routines to a point where the other dancer did all the work, 

This is a fun point for debate; maybe I'll see you in the All-Seasons thread, Toaster Strudel.  Still, I can understand and appreciate your opinion (and disappointment) about these results.

and the stage crew worked harder, than Valerie.

I agree that the stage crew was more unequal in their treatment of dancers than usual.

Who was the guy who was on the bench with Emilio and doing the extended duet of floor tricks, in the Top 10+ routine?  

I was so irritated at Zack placing fourth that I tuned out for most of the rest of the show, although I'm glad I managed to carch the group routine. That was good.

I'm not completely shocked that Valerie placed as well as she did, since she was clearly popular. But I was kind of shocked at Jessica getting third. Who was voting for her? She just lacked spark to me.

• Love 2

Congrats to the final four!!  All of them are deserving:  Ricky for his absolutely beautiful lines ... Valerie for her joyful spirit ... Jessica for her gracefulness ... Zach for his adaptability.  All of them have bright futures ahead!

That having been said ... I'm not looking forward to another season like this one.  Too much blahblahblah from the judges without saying anything ... too many contemporary routines ... too much angst in the routines ... 

• Love 2

Never has a "dancer" received so little criticism, danced so sloppily and heavily, and forced so many choreographers to dumb the routines to a point where the other dancer did all the work, and the stage crew worked harder, than Valerie. That Zack and Jessica (not to mention real talents like Carly and Tanisha) were eliminated ahead of her turned this show into a farce. If they had challenged her, and gave her honest criticism, she would have been the first one eliminated. For shame.

Now that my bitterness is out, I want to congratulate the real winners: Zach, Ricky and Jessica, in no particular order. Three very talented young people with a solid work ethic and danced beautifully. I also congratulate Tanisha and Carly who went home too early.

I also want to thank Allison, Jasmine, Fik-Shun and Will Wingfield (and a few I wish I had recognized in that great Tayeh/Scott routine towards the end) for showing up and lighting up the stage.

I'm sorry that Malene and Marcquet didn't get to do that ballroom. Was there any ballroom tonight? No? Yeah that's what I thought.

To Sonya Tayeh: Please return my pair of clothes drying racks, my nylon stockings need to hang. <3

I totally agree w/ your assessment of Valerie - and that Tanisha and Carly went home way too soon for the girls. Both were far more talented, skilled and versatile. I'm not even sure why Valerie even made the top 20 as her tapping isn't even exceptional!

• Love 2

One of my friends said something that I hadn't considered....in all of the genres the contestants are asked to do, they are not challenged to do tap -- unless they are tappers. It made me reconsider my feelings on Val being in the top 4. But tonight, I feel she should have placed 4. Well done, Ricky, and congratulations to all of these talented dancers.

• Love 3

Who was Carly?  Seriously, I have no memory of her.  

Valerie has grown a lot.  She was quite lovely in the reprise routine with Ricky.  I thought he wasn't fully there.  Ahead of the beat or something.

Agreed- she was much better in that hip- hop reprise. 

I have to admit, as much as this season has been...sub-par, I still can't hate the winner.  I've only been ambivalent about one winner since I started watching in Season 4 (that was Russell, but that was an odd season all around, imho). Otherwise I at least get it.  I can't say that for any other reality show. 

I hope they overhaul it (if you have 2 hours to fill each week, why the fuck are you cutting dancers?!) and come back again. 

• Love 1

Paula Abdul was a train wreck. Couldn't even read off a cue card....

Omg I know! Forgot about that! She seemed like she was on drugs or something. She reminded me of a drunk manager at an office Christmas party trying to make it through a speech to all of the employees near the end of the night w/o falling over! Does she always speak that poorly?

• Love 1

Who was Carly? Seriously, I have no memory of her.

Carly was the girl in the skeleton hip hop dance. She is an amazing contemporary dancer who just didn't get the "choreography advantages" that were handed to Jessica (eh em, Travis Wall w/ Ricky, TW with Casey, TW with Robert, etc.). Carly was good in every style of dance she was given, where Jessica was ONLY good at contemporary.

• Love 8

Omg I know! Forgot about that! She seemed like she was on drugs or something. She reminded me of a drunk manager at an office Christmas party trying to make it through a speech to all of the employees near the end of the night w/o falling over! Does she always speak that poorly?

Certainly when she was on American Idol there were times when it seemed like she was on something, so it's nothing new.

They didn't announce another season did they? I was waiting but nothing. And no drama about not being picked up either.

I read somewhere today that Fox said they won't say until the end of the year whether or not SYTYCD is being picked up again. Kevin Riley has been replaced as head of the network and ratings weren't great, although they weren't horrendous either, so right now it's a crap shoot. The show really suffered from having the budget cut, the extra two weeks we lost would have helped me be able to tell the various interchangeable girls apart. Although this wasn't my favorite season, they did get a few new choreographers and if they come back I hope they bring other new faces in to choreograph. I really liked last year when former contestants were used. They did some really decent work, Mark especially. I noticed that SYTYCD Australia was canceled then brought back this year so even if Fox doesn't pick it up for next season it could still come back after a rest.

I thought Zach should have finished second, but other than that, I was okay with the results. Rickey really is special and extremely talented. I liked watching Valerie dance, more than I liked Jessica, so I had no issue with Valerie beating her. She never hit bottom 2 and Zach did, so she connected with America, which is the point.

• Love 4

I think that was Dominick beside Emilio.  Marcus was there too.  I really really liked that dance and watched it back as soon as I'd seen it.

Zach was 4th????  Whatever.

I ffed through Jessica's montage, that is how totally boring I found her.

Loved Mary's dress and Cat's dress.  Thought JTF made Shankman seem de trop.  Loved JTF's schtick.

Paula Abdul bores me and then bores me some more and then bores me some more.  How is this woman a talking head?

I thought Zack and Valerie's dance was better this time than the first and still I only had eyes on Zack, Valerie disappeared, red shoes or no red shoes.

Les Twins were brilliant.

• Love 5

I fast forwarded to see who won.  No need to see dances that were as bland as tapioca pudding repeated.  Why didn't they do the boy/girl winners again?  At the least the better trained dancer won.  And at least one of the girls didn't win, they were not all that talented and horribly one dimensional.  Remember when Russell won?  That was so fun to watch!  He was so happy, everyone was so happy.  This ending was so uneventful. 

• Love 1

Fourth? Fourth?!?!

I was in shock and found it hard to concentrate for the rest of the show. I expected Zack to come in second (though I was hoping beyond hope that he'd win). For a split second it actually made me scared that Valerie might win out over Ricky. That aside, I guess the right person won, and Ricky was one of my favorites going into the show so I'm not too sad about his win.

That aside, I really enjoyed the guest routines tonight, like the Bollywood group and that winner from Australia. His dance style seemed like Rudy's but with a higher degree of technique and polish. I also loved the routine combining the top 10 and All-Stars. It was hard to make out faces, but the fact that Christopher Scott had to do with it already made me biased.

Emilio returned! The snake dance wasn't my favorite of his this season, but I was just so happy to see him. At least Tara Lipinski contributed something.

I also love that we saw Dominic and Marko. Damn, that makes me wish Marko had been an All-Star for one of this season's routines.

This season wasn't the greatest, but I hope it won't be the last. This is my favorite summer show and I really enjoy watching the dancers grow, work hard and learn. Plus I always get excited when All-Star time rolls around, and I have a chance to see some of my favorites.

• Love 4

Carly was the girl in the skeleton hip hop dance. She is an amazing contemporary dancer who just didn't get the "choreography advantages" that were handed to Jessica (eh em, Travis Wall w/ Ricky, TW with Casey, TW with Robert, etc.). Carly was good in every style of dance she was given, where Jessica was ONLY good at contemporary.

Thanks!  I vaguely remember those costumes, went back to YouTube for the routine.  Wasn't my thing, I didn't think she was that great, but I probably would have preferred her to Jessica- I have trouble picturing her face, too, actually.  I wonder why Jessica got the boost over her.

Zack in 4th place? Seriously? That is just incredibly wrong. Why is it that in SYTYCD Canada every season my very favorite won and my other favs placed in the top 4, but in the US version, my favorite has never ever won, and instead has been in position 2 thru 6?

I guess I just need to remember that the ones who failed to win seem to have done very well afterwards; maybe in some cases better than the winners. Zack should go far, he's so versatile. I'm OK with Ricky's win, but not with the remaining standings, and Carly and Tanisha should have replaced Valerie and Jessica in top 4.

• Love 6

I was stunned that Ameriker got it right and placed Jessica third.  She is among the most alltime pimped-out by jidges contestants evah.  Yes, she is extremely pretty, or hawt, if you prefer.  All friggin season, nary a cross word was spoken by any jidge about her.  "Twas maddening.  She was, to me, at best the fourth best girl this year.  However.....

Valerie would have been a champion in other years with the boy/girl title split?!!!  Ridiculous.

To me, Ricky was the no-brainer, orders of magnitude superior dancer in this cast.

My overall emotion having watched this ep was sadness.   Debbie Allen was reduced to window dressing.  It was a nice thought to honor her, but it felt cheap.  It was also a stunner to witness the lukewarm welcome Pauler received from the crowd.  She seemed perfectly lucid and sober but was stumbling as she tried to give the moment more gravitas than was merited.  I also think she was a bit staggered at the lack of enthusiasm expressed for her taking the stage.

Time sure passes and waits for no one, eh? 

• Love 4

No surprises here on the order in which the finalists were placed, but I did get very nervous there for a moment that Valerie may have clomped her over the finish line.... And then Cat called Ricky's name and all was right in this world.

Honestly, I was shocked that the Bollywood boys won the vote. I guess the public wanted something other than hip-hop, locking, crump, street dance-y style. I didn't like the routine. It seemed uneventful and kind of a mess. The group that placed second was far more interesting to watch.

JTF was hilarious! Finally, someone said "jidges" on the actual show!! (Unless it's happened before and I totally missed it). Paula, thank you for being such a mess, at least you're consistent. Enrique (what? No last name now?), thank you for showing everyone that you've got mad lip syncing skillz.

The last group routine was pretty great. Nobody mentioned the opening number but I thought it was amazeballs! Please, make this choreographer stay, show. You can put Oreo on that flying carpet and make it fly far, far away.

The Australian kid was nuts. Want to see more of his dancing. Whoever compared his style to Rudy's, only with more polish and much better technique, was spot on. The twins were sick. Very entertaining and awesome performance.

I know I'll be in the minority, but I'm just not feeling jasmine when she's dancing hip-hop. That pharao number with Emilio, I kept watching him the whole time. His moves are so sharp and tight. Hers come across like they don't end soon enough. Not sure if that makes sense but I just feel that her arms and legs take too long to complete a move, they just keep going on and on. This is a great asset for contemporary dancing, but not so much for hip hop. But she has been working with Ciarra even prior to the show, so that just shows how much I know, lol! I just know what I find more appealing.

I really hope the show gets picked up for another season. As many stupid things as Nijel may have said, and as much pointless and empty feedback we may have heard from the jidges, I will not complain and nit pick this show apart. I enjoy watching people dance and appreciate being a witness to their journeys from the auditions all the way to the finale. And Nijel can keep patting his back as much as he wants to because, as annoying as it may be for some, I believe the reason he keeps talking about how important this show is, is because it is, people! His heart is in the right place. If you think about it, there is absolutely no other platform that brings dance in such form to the general public (I'm sorry, but DWTS simply doesn't count). So I completely understand when he's trying to drive this point home each and every time he gets a chance to. I'll keep watching the show for as long as it's on and enjoy what it's bringing into my day.

• Love 6

Well, since Ricky was proclaimed the winner in the very first show of the season everyone else was racing for second.  Too bad it wasn't Zach who I thought had the talent and charm to win.  I guess spunk > talent and charm.  Whatever.  Zach would be a much better fit for On the Town than Ricky.  Good luck to all the dancers who competed this year.

Edited to clarify that by "spunk" I mean Valerie, not Ricky (who I do think was a deserving winner.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3

One of my friends said something that I hadn't considered....in all of the genres the contestants are asked to do, they are not challenged to do tap -- unless they are tappers. It made me reconsider my feelings on Val being in the top 4. But tonight, I feel she should have placed 4. Well done, Ricky, and congratulations to all of these talented dancers.

They aren't challenged to do ballet either, unless they are ballet dancers. Nigel took advantage of having Jacque and Jourdan by giving them that Pas de Deux and wouldn't embarrass the other girls with a challenge like that. Those are just two genres that all the showmanship and energy in the world can't help you "fake" your way through, unlike ballroom-hip hop-jazz-contemp.

• Love 4

Completely shocked that Zack came in fourth.  I thought he was a shoe-in for runner up, and a strong contender for the win.  Once he was out, I think lots of folks assumed Ricky was going to win, but I actually felt LESS certain.  I mean, if I was that sure Zack was at least second, maybe Ricky wouldn't win after all, and somehow Valerie ended up the winner!  I was relieved Ricky won at that point.

Despite a lot of disappointment in the Top 6 overall, Ricky is a truly deserving winner, and it was satisfying to watch in that sense.  It's amazing to think that the show has been around so long that we now have contestants like Ricky who have spent their ENTIRE dance career striving to win!  Clearly, he worked on his craft, becoming so strong and versatile that he was able to consistently handle every challenge, from hip hop to ballroom. Also, Ricky is the first male contemporary dancer to win since Season 1.

Well, since Ricky was proclaimed the winner in the very first show of the season everyone else was racing for second.  Too bad it wasn't Zach who I thought had the talent and charm to win.  I guess spunk > talent and charm.  Whatever.

Ricky's obvious frontrunner status early on (which was not his fault, but a production/judging issue), renders his win less than satisfying for a lot of fans, especially in comparison to Zack, who had a more interesting journey and a cooler, more mature off-stage presence.  But it's a bit unfair to say Ricky is not a deserving winner, or is less talented than Zack, even if his personality and style is not to everyone's taste.  Either one of them would have been a deserving winner.  And hey, it could have been worse.....it could have been Valerie. 

Edited by StupidSexyFlanders
  • Love 8

Really can't believe Zack only came in fourth place.  Blows my mind.  And I'm so glad that they only have one winner this year because I can't imagine either of the girls being a winner.  Well, I always liked Ricky so I'm not upset that he won at all - my problem (as someone stated upthread) is that Ricky is not the best contemporary dancer of the series by a longshot, whereas I think Zack is the best tapper (Aaron was great too but he hunches a bit when he taps - I love Zack's upright posture). 

Jessica actually had two of the most memorable dances of the season - Like Real People Do and Vow.  They were both contemporary and she didn't really do that well in anything else, but I will give her props for that.

I was extremely annoyed at the lack of ballroom in the finale - I know that the ballroom this season sucked, but I expected to see Tanisha and Ryan reprise that fantastic tango.  And did people really love Dirty Diana so much to make a big stink about getting Allison back?  I like her too but I thought that dance was ALL about Allison, which isn't the point of the show.

Actually there were definitely some surprises in the finale - I swear I do not remember that dance with Tanisha and Rudy ever happening (I was so sure they'd reprise Good Kisser), and I could barely remember the last routine with Valerie and Ricky (my husband reminded me with, "this is the one where Ricky dances around to distract you from the noticing that Valerie isn't doing anything").  Both Amy and Zack's dance and Jessica and Robert's did not feel as impactful this time around. 

I was very pleased to see Senile and Sing - those are two routines that I actually did rewatch after.

• Love 4