Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!" Movie Moments That Anger Up the Blood

• Start Topic

56 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

The movie Richard Jewell made me so angry. Sure, Richard seemed a bit…off at times, but he had the best of intentions at heart, and he really did save everyone from the bomb. And he was rewarded by those assholes railroading him and ruining his life without a shred of physical proof that he was the bomber! And the fact that he wound up dying at 44 so soon after his name was cleared was just unfair.

What happened to Richard is indefensible.  What pissed me off about the movie is that Clint decided the best way to tell a story about the lies that devastated this man was to falsely portray the female reporter as a slut who slept with men to get scoops.  Misogyny at its finest.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

What happened to Richard is indefensible.  What pissed me off about the movie is that Clint decided the best way to tell a story about the lies that devastated this man was to falsely portray the female reporter as a slut who slept with men to get scoops.  Misogyny at its finest.

Yep.  If directed by someone other than Clint Eastwood, I'd have been quite interested in seeing Richard Jewell's story told in the mainstream.  Even with that shithead behind the camera, I'd still planned on watching it at some point until that "dramatic license" bullshit was revealed.  But telling a story about the defamation of Jewell by defaming Kathy Scruggs does not interest me, no matter how factual it is overall.

Good on the lawyer who'd represented Jewell in his defamation cases (including that against the Atlanta Journal-Constitution) condemning the film for resorting to such a "false and damning claim" against Scruggs, instead of sticking to the true story about the FBI and the media, which is disturbing enough without reaching for the tired, sexist trope of female journalists trading sex for information. 

I doubt the film notes the AJC later (after Scruggs's death) saw the defamation suit against it dismissed, since - thanks to the FBI's smear campaign - it merely published what was substantially true at the time, or that the AJC ran an investigative journalism piece from another reporter on its front page stating the FBI's own timeline means Jewell couldn't have phoned in the threat (in fact, I've read the film credits that "he couldn't have done it" re-enactment to the defense lawyer).

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Oh yeah, that character was every bad character trope of a reporter all rolled into one. The part where she snuck into the lawyer’s care to try to get an interview—what the actual fuck?! As a female and a journalist major, I saw red.

• Love 4

I have a thing about telling lie about real people, like Titanic. Kathy Scrugg's family seemed rightly pissed about it and blamed Olivia Wilde too. I also hate how some directors dismiss people when they complain about it, like Quentin Tarantino with Bruce Lee.

• Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I have a thing about telling lie about real people, like Titanic. Kathy Scrugg's family seemed rightly pissed about it and blamed Olivia Wilde too. I also hate how some directors dismiss people when they complain about it, like Quentin Tarantino with Bruce Lee.

Same. The worst example was when the John Belushi biopic Wired was made: his friends and family made it clear that they didn’t want the movie made because the source material book by Bob Woodward was inaccurate, exploitative, and defamatory. The filmmakers not only dismissed his family’s pleas, they also made the movie a million times worse in trashing John’s character, then acted surprised when people hated it. The only person who had the decency to apologize to the family was Michael Chiklis.

Another anger-inducing example of Eastwood playing fast and loose with history was with Sully, acting like the airline investigation wanted to nail him for the crash. That was total bullshit: Sully himself stated in his memoir that the investigation was all regular procedure, no drama. He was never in danger of being fired or losing his license!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 12

I refuse to watch Richard Jewell for all reasons stated above. What the fuck was Clint Eastwood smoking re-writing Kathy Scruggs as this cartoonishly evil she-demon who was just gunning to ruin Jewell's life?! 

Not to mention that by blatantly defaming Scruggs, it also makes one want to put Jewell under a microscope and question if he was even worth defending, which is wrong and unfair, since he was mistreated and is also no longer alive to defend himself.

So, great job, Clint, now two people who are not with us anymore get undeserved once-overs after being put through the wringer when they were still alive! 

I also refuse to watch The 15:17 to Paris. Yes, those guys were heroes, no argument there... but why would you make them re-enact what had to be the most traumatic day of their lives!??!? I don't care if they emerged victorious, they could have fucking died that day!

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I also refuse to watch The 15:17 to Paris. Yes, those guys were heroes, no argument there... but why would you make them re-enact what had to be the most traumatic day of their lives!??!? I don't care if they emerged victorious, they could have fucking died that day!

Ugh. That just reminds me of Zoller reenacting his sniper attack on film in Inglorious Basterds, the only difference being Zoller was a fucking Nazi sniper and NOT a real hero and the film was pure Nazi propaganda. But still the fact that filmmakers would cast the real people to make them relive such an experience is just…yuck.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Another anger-inducing example of Eastwood playing fast and loose with history was with Sully, acting like the airline investigation wanted to nail him for the crash. That was total bullshit: Sully himself stated in his memoir that the investigation was all regular procedure, no drama. He was never in danger of being fired or losing his license!

Sully is a class act as he's also expressed appreciation for the job that the airline investigators do and did which really underscores how shitty Eastwood was being in presenting them as the villains. 

• Love 12
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh, that enraged me!  I have a longstanding, somewhat strange interest in plane crashes (I love flying [as a passenger; I'm not a pilot], so it's not out of fear, I just find the patterns in what causes the rare crashes interesting), so I know more than the average bear about the NTSB.  These are some of the sharpest investigators in the world, and their work - despite no regulatory authority - has forced changes that have transformed aviation again and again and saved countless lives.

I knew the major details of that particular investigation; the report cleared Sullenberger and Skiles of any missteps (significant, with human error being at least one cause, if not the primary cause, in the majority of plane crashes), and in fact commended their decision making and airmanship in saving the lives of all on board.

To tune into that film one night when it was on cable and find this completely fabricated story pissed me off on the investigators' behalf.  Only half, not all, their if you headed for the nearest airport immediately after the engine loss flight simulations resulted in a successful airport landing, and the one that factored in (by no outside prompting, but of their own volition [since these teams include, you know, experts], so already in place at the time of the depicted hearing) the inevitable real-world delay in response time due to evaluation of an unexpected situation showed an unequivocal inability to reach an airport, thus the unequivocal exoneration and praise in their report. 

And I side-eyed Capt. Sullenberger for promoting the film so enthusiastically and, while acknowledging that's not at all how the investigation happened, defending the "dramatic license" falsehood as an acceptable representation of how he felt by the scrutiny.

It's lazy storytelling.  Everyone in the audience knew it had a happy ending; how do you make a whole movie about a six-minute flight in which everyone lives?  You invent a villain, when there wasn't one in reality; to create drama beyond the time covering the engine loss, ditching, and water rescue, the filmmakers made an entirely false second half out of the NTSB investigation.  The problem is, that second half of a true story trotting down the fictional path meant their villain was an actual organization comprised of actual people who conducted a by the book investigation and stated the truth.  And Eastwood is all about making the federal government a villain, so he did no fact checking on the script that deviated so broadly from Sullenberger's memoir on which it was based.

• Love 12

They could have easily just cut the “investigation” part and just gone in deeper to Sully’s PTSD of the incident. That would have suited the movie just fine. But what do I know, I’m not a screenwriter 🙄

Moving on, Lisa’s callous reaction to Daisy’s suicide from Girl, Interrupted was awful. Even worse was how she took money right out of her robe. And this after telling her the other night (among the many things that pushed Daisy over the edge) that they “didn’t need (her) Daddy’s money.” Fuck you, Lisa!!!!

• Love 4

I don't know if this rises to the level of "Oh Hell No!", but I yelled at the screen when it happened so I am counting it (my husband says that is a low bar because I always tend to make movie watching at home interactive):

Here is the long set up to my issue:  In A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, we find out the reporter (Lloyd) writing about Mr. Rodgers has a terrible father who continually cheated on their mother only to abandon the family entirely when she became sick with cancer so that Lloyd and his sister at a young age were left to try to take care of their mother while she died.  We see his father making very snide, passive-aggressive remarks to Lloyd, escalating until Lloyd finally punches him (at his sister's wedding).

So Lloyd comes home one evening to find Dad and Dad's girlfriend in his house with his wife and son.  They've brought pizza and want to meet the baby and figure they'll all just sit and have dinner together.  Dad again starts making comments about Lloyd and Lloyd finally erupts as Dad has a heart episode.  They all are at the hospital; I think Dad is stable, but it will be a long night.  Lloyd tells his wife they need to leave because he wants to get her and the baby home before he leaves for Pittsburgh.  She tells him they have to stay because it's his father.  He says no and finally leaves without her because he doesn't want to miss the interview with Mr. Rodgers.

So here is my "oh hell no" moment: 

Wife is mad at him for leaving her at the hospital, and when he apologizes she tells him sorry isn't enough.  Then why in the world did she let his father ambush him and be disappointed in Lloyd for not just sitting down for dinner?  Why did she demand he drop everything for his father who never apologized for any of his actions?!?  Why did he have to grovel for one evening but was supposed to let go of a lifetime of abandonment?  If she had phrased the discussion as something like "I worry about your carrying around so much anger" or in anyway made it about concern for Lloyd, I might have bought it.  Instead, it was always "he's your dad."  Oh HELL No.

• Love 8

I love A Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood, but I agree, Lloyd’s wife was way out of line with her self-righteous judgment. Unlike her, Fred was astute enough to acknowledge that Lloyd’s anger at his dad was justified and not easy to let go of even though his dad was dying. 

• Love 5

It's the pizza scene where she really pisses me off.  That's her home, so of course she had every right to invite her father-in-law in when he turned up, but she should have told Lloyd so he could avoid coming home while his dad was there if he wanted.  And once she let him be ambushed by the dad's presence, she should have respected his wishes when he wanted the guy to leave.

• Love 6

Talking about films changing real life, I don’t know that I am 100% comfortable with the decision to change the father-son relationship in A Beautiful Day.  They honored the reporter’s request to change the family’s names because they changed so many details.  If he was then satisfied I guess I should be as well, but I really don’t like when movies/books take liberties with real people’s lives and characters.

• Love 4

In regards to the Sully story, I have a friend who was a flight attendant for several years and when I asked her what she thought about the emergency water landing, she said she wasn't surprised at all that it went so well. She said it was clear, no high winds and the Hudson was calm.  She said that she had no doubt that most pilots could have done it. This doesn't mean that I don't think he should have PTSD, because I'm sure it was scary as hell being the one responsible for keeping all of those people safe, nor does that mean that my friend thought it was no big deal because it was, just that it didn't surprise her as much as it did everyone else because she was familiar air travel and protocols. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

Not that the actual Miracle on the Hudson isn't an amazing story in and of itself, but in 2009 when you heard the words "plane", 'emergency landing" and "Hudson" you stopped in your tracks for a moment.  You couldn't help but relive 2001 even if they were completely different scenarios.  I think that's part of the reason why it captured our attention the way it did.

• Love 6

Because the new Jurassic Movie is due out this year, here's one that will always bug me:  A lot of people were pissed at the kid who opened the dinosaur cages and let them loose in the city in Fallen Kingdom.   She was what?  8? 9? Maybe 10?  I'm pissed because not one adult was standing over the button so that it couldn't be pushed and I'm pissed that not one person thought to take a that child out of the room.  It's traumatic enough for an adult to see a living being dying a slow, torturous death.  No way should a child have been in the room to witness it. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Because the new Jurassic Movie is due out this year, here's one that will always bug me:  A lot of people were pissed at the kid who opened the dinosaur cages and let them loose in the city in Fallen Kingdom.   She was what?  8? 9? Maybe 10?  I'm pissed because not one adult was standing over the button so that it couldn't be pushed and I'm pissed that not one person thought to take a that child out of the room.  It's traumatic enough for an adult to see a living being dying a slow, torturous death.  No way should a child have been in the room to witness it. 

Yeah-Claire stepped away from the button. Maize pushed it to let them all out because she was a clone herself and didn’t want them to all die in what was basically a gas chamber.

• Love 4
On 1/11/2022 at 10:51 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

So do I. For the most part its unnecessary. The event or person they are making a movie about already has so much to work with. Who wants to watch a biopic about real life person that is mostly lies? Or Titanic? Then again I'm still annoyed how much they make up when telling Henry VIII and/or Anne Bolyen story. Or Mary, Queen of Scots (Reign I'm looking at you). Why not tell a story about a fictional person if they don't want to get anything correct?

Or like in Capitan Phillips when they tried to make the bad guys sympathetic. Ah, what? Ah, no they weren't. 

• Love 4

Everyone’s Talking About Jamie: Jamie’s estranged homophobic dad (using the term loosely) playing the victim when his mom confronts him about skipping his birthday, having the nerve to blame her for how Jamie not being “manly enough,” asking what’s so bad about “a boy liking boy things”, and acting like it’s her fault for getting Jamie’s hopes up for wanting to see him. 

Hey, asshole, there's nothing wrong with a boy liking “boy things”, but there’s nothing wrong with not liking those things either! And don’t put it on your ex-wife to tell your son that you don’t want anything to with him because you’re having a “new” son with your girlfriend, have the guts to tell him yourself!

Unfortunately, that is what happens, in the cruelest possible way. And even worse, when a heartbroken Jamie dresses in drag to confront him at a soccer game only to have some asshole beat him up, the douchebag does at least stop him, but then he just leaves Jamie bleeding on the ground! He doesn’t even ask Jamie if he’s okay, he’s just mad and embarrassed that the guy figured out he’s his son.

I so wish Jamie’s mom (or maybe Jamie’s drag queen friends) had stormed over to his new house and kicked him in the balls for that. Sadly, we didn’t get any such scene.

(edited)

Welp, what they did with Wanda/Scarlet Witch in Multiverse of Madness pissed me off good and proper. Gonna spoiler tag just in case:

Spoiler

It was just the rushed, sexist “woman with power goes mad” trope that I hated. Oh no. What really infuriated me was the complete and utter hypocrisy. Wanda’s scheme to take over her variant’s life and live with Tommy and Billy was pretty much the EXACT SAME THING Steve did in Endgame. Even if he didn’t stack up a body count to do it, it didn’t make it any less wrong. But Steve gets glorified as a hero, with his own Broadway musical and everything. The hypocrisy is galling. 

And what’s worse? Strange at least owned up how damaging Wanda being forced to kill Vision only to have her sacrifice rendered moot by him forking over the Time Stone to Thanos. But the bigger elephant in the room goes unacknowledged: that no one — not Strange, Clint, Sam, Steve, or any of Wanda’s so-called friends — bothered to check in with her after the Blip, despite knowing everything she had been through. They just left her on her own and assumed she’d be fine. Hell, Strange KNEW all what happened in Westview, and yet he apparently didn’t bother to think, “Gee, maybe I should go see her, make sure she didn’t have another magical meltdown.” Had he done that, he could have stopped Wanda from getting too deep into the Darkhold.

But. Not until America shows up being chased by the rune monsters that he even remembers Wanda exists. And by then it’s pretty much too late.

In conclusion, it was shit writing that could have been so much better.  

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

It Could Happen to You is playing in the doctor's waiting room. I haven't seen it in years. Honestly? I'd be irritated if my husband offered a waitress 1/2 half of whatever we won, too (because I'd feel obligated to follow through and would). I know he didn't expect to win and I understand wanting to help people,  which my husband and I would do if we ever won, but to offer half?  I'd have a few words for him. And, not to let his wife off the hook-I wouldn't behaved the way she did, either, especially claiming in court that he abused her. 

The whole movie was problematic, even if it was loosely based in a true story. 

• Love 4
On 7/25/2022 at 3:36 PM, Shannon L. said:

It Could Happen to You is playing in the doctor's waiting room. I haven't seen it in years. Honestly? I'd be irritated if my husband offered a waitress 1/2 half of whatever we won, too (because I'd feel obligated to follow through and would). I know he didn't expect to win and I understand wanting to help people,  which my husband and I would do if we ever won, but to offer half?  I'd have a few words for him. And, not to let his wife off the hook-I wouldn't behaved the way she did, either, especially claiming in court that he abused her. 

The whole movie was problematic, even if it was loosely based in a true story. 

I agree. I could see going back and giving her a big tip because I would feel bad about not having money for a tip.  I also don't like we're suppose to not like Gina because she goes on a shopping trip buying clothes and a fur coat. Except for how you feel about real fur coats what's wrong with that? Lots of people dream of going on a shopping spree if they win the lotto. I'd use the money to pay off my parents' and brother's bills. Travel around the world, and my shopping trip would be books, and movie memorabilia. I'd also donate a lot of it to charity. My mom and I used to have fun imagining what we'd all donate too. Cancer research especially ones we lost family members to, heart disease, animal rescue (I'd probably adopt a lot of cats and dogs), veterans, etc. It's fun to dream. Gina's dream was just as fun.  

I completely forgot that the movie was inspired by the real life cop Robert Cunningham promising the waitress Phyllis Penzo he'd split the money if he won in the early 1984 until I was watching Weird History's timeline 1984 on YouTube. He actually did win and split the money in half. There were a few differences they knew each other for over a decade. He came all the time to the pizzeria she was a waitress at. Instead of not having money for a tip he suggested they buy a lotto ticket, each pick three numbers and if they win they split the money. They did and it won 6 million. They were both married to other people and his wife completely supported splitting the money since Phyllis picked half the numbers that won.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

House of Sand and Fog: Whatever sympathy I had for Kathy came to an abrupt end when she and that racist cop Lester started harassing the Behranis for moving into the house, accusing them of “stealing” it from her. They did no such thing!

It infuriates me that some people have the gall to “ both sides” this movie, claiming that Massoud shouldn’t have been so “prideful.” Uh, call me crazy, but wanting to sell the house back for a fair price seems perfectly reasonable to me. Sure it was dumb to act like he was still wealthy to keep up appearances in his community, but understandable given the circumstances. More importantly, he was right: why should he be punished because the county screwed up?! 

The thing that galls me that even after all she put them through, the Behranis were decent enough to help Kathy when she tried to kill herself outside the house. And how are they rewarded for their kindness? That asshole Lester holds them at gunpoint, and when they try to escape, their son gets killed by the police, which leads to Massoud and his wife committing suicide. And it’s only then that Kathy realizes that she took thing too far.

At least in the book Kathy got arrested with Lester. But in the movie, all that happens is her meekly telling the cops that it wasn’t her house. As if that makes up for everything. FUCK HER. I hope the Behranis’ daughter sued that bitch for everything she had left.

• Applause 2
  • Love 3
On 10/23/2022 at 2:23 PM, BlueSkies said:

it's funny as an adult watching this movie Ali's parents I dislike the most.

Don't know if you've been watching the sequel series, Cobra Kai, but the actress who plays Ali's mom returned to reprise her role!  Same house too!  

I'm not too harsh on her parents.  Ali had big plans and her parents naturally wanted the best for her.  They presumably adored Johnny Lawrence (her ex) and thought she had no legit reason to dump him.  Naturally, they'd scoff at a boy they didn't even know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The Boy Next Door with Jennifer Lopez.  I lost touch recently with a friend whose last name was Lopez.  About around the time this movie came out was when we corresponded the most.  I was thinking of a talk we had about "his cousin" Mrs. Lopez.  He mentioned this movie where she plays this MILFish teacher who gets stalked by a younger guy.

So I pulled the trigger on it.  Yes, she is very beautiful but looked out of place in this film.

But wow the character Noah this movie was beyond creepy.  I thought maybe I would find the kid a sympathetic character who had puppy love for J Lo's character but no... not at all.  

• Love 2

Linus being such a drama queen about his stupid blanket in A Boy Named Charlie Brown. He was the one that willingly gave his blanket to Charlie Brown when he left for the spelling bee, then goes through withdrawal and goes to Charlie Brown’s hotel just to demand it back, and when it seems to be lost, he throws a tantrum, calling his own best friend a blockhead when he’s already stressed out over the spelling bee.

And when the blanket does turn up, does Linus at least apologize to Charlie Brown for giving him such a bad time? Nope. Instead he dances around with that stupid piece of cloth and uses it to taunt Snoopy for no reason except spite.

Linus sucks.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Linus being such a drama queen about his stupid blanket in A Boy Named Charlie Brown. He was the one that willingly gave his blanket to Charlie Brown when he left for the spelling bee, then goes through withdrawal and goes to Charlie Brown’s hotel just to demand it back, and when it seems to be lost, he throws a tantrum, calling his own best friend a blockhead when he’s already stressed out over the spelling bee.

And when the blanket does turn up, does Linus at least apologize to Charlie Brown for giving him such a bad time? Nope. Instead he dances around with that stupid piece of cloth and uses it to taunt Snoopy for no reason except spite.

Linus sucks.

Oh, I don't know. Linus gave Charlie Brown a cherished item to help bring him luck or whatever, Charlie Brown KNOWS how important and cherished the blanket is and treats it rather shoddily. Not only does he not know where it is when Linus comes looking for it, and sure, let's attribute that to the stress of the Spelling Bee but the blanket doesn't 'turn up.' Charlie Brown had it stuffed under his bed and was using it to polish his shoes.

Let's face it, Charlie Brown didn't give two shits about that blanket and treated it like that. Linus gave his friend something important to him for the trip to the Spelling Bee and Charlie Brown couldn't be bothered to respect that.

Was Linus an asshole when Charlie couldn't remember where the blanket was? Yes. Was Charlie an asshole for how he treated the thing he knew was important to his friend? Also yes.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
25 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Let's face it, Charlie Brown didn't give two shits about that blanket and treated it like that. Linus gave his friend something important to him for the trip to the Spelling Bee and Charlie Brown couldn't be bothered to respect that.

Was Linus an asshole when Charlie couldn't remember where the blanket was? Yes. Was Charlie an asshole for how he treated the thing he knew was important to his friend? Also yes.

Considering the fact that Charlie Brown was under so much stress and pressure about the spelling bee, it’s understandable that the blanket was the last thing on his mind. People misplace things all the time, it doesn’t make him an asshole. And Linus knew he couldn’t live without his precious blanket for very long, so he really should have known better than to give it to him anyway. 

Let’s face it, if given the choice between saving humanity and his blanket, Linus would screw over the planet in half a second.

• Love 1
On 11/21/2022 at 9:14 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Linus sucks.

On 11/21/2022 at 1:28 PM, Dandesun said:

Oh, I don't know. Linus gave Charlie Brown a cherished item to help bring him luck or whatever, Charlie Brown KNOWS how important and cherished the blanket is and treats it rather shoddily. Not only does he not know where it is when Linus comes looking for it, and sure, let's attribute that to the stress of the Spelling Bee but the blanket doesn't 'turn up.' Charlie Brown had it stuffed under his bed and was using it to polish his shoes.

On 11/21/2022 at 1:58 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Considering the fact that Charlie Brown was under so much stress and pressure about the spelling bee, it’s understandable that the blanket was the last thing on his mind. People misplace things all the time, it doesn’t make him an asshole. And Linus knew he couldn’t live without his precious blanket for very long, so he really should have known better than to give it to him anyway. 

Let’s face it, if given the choice between saving humanity and his blanket, Linus would screw over the planet in half a second.

And I say Linus’s sins were the least hurtful. Lucy and her band of mean girls take the cake-and that “Failure Face” song had me 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 BULLIES to the core. There aren’t enough words to express how much I hate Lucy. 

Linus, in comparison, came off an angel.

• Applause 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I say Linus’s sins were the least hurtful. Lucy and her band of mean girls take the cake-and that “Failure Face” song had me 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 BULLIES to the core. There aren’t enough words to express how much I hate Lucy. 

Indeed. That little slideshow she made in the movie chronicling all of Charlie Brown’s failures was a new level of torment for her. And this was her idea of “therapy.” She really was the worst.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

And Charlie Brown won second!!  That movie pisses me off.

I’ve always side-eyed Linus.  He doesn’t speak up for Charlie Brown when they choose the Christmas tree, and he kissed the red headed girlfriend.  Charlie Brown deserves better.

• Applause 6
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Indeed. That little slideshow she made in the movie chronicling all of Charlie Brown’s failures was a new level of torment for her. And this was her idea of “therapy.” She really was the worst.

Lucy is a hateful, sociopathic, megalomaniacal uber-brat who has been begging for a stinging comeuppance since the Eisenhower administration!!

Let me be clear: I'm hardly the biggest fan of bathroom humor, and kudos to the late Charles Schulz for never using it in any Peanuts media... but I ain't gonna lie, if ol' Sparky had written a story (be it comic or cartoon form) where Woodstock teaches Lucy a lesson by pooping on her head, I would have been 110% for it! Yeah, it wouldn't have made a difference in the grand scheme of Charlie Brown's life, but at least it would have been something!*

*By that, I mean it would have sated my petty little heart. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Crs97 said:

And Charlie Brown won second!!  That movie pisses me off.

I’ve always side-eyed Linus.  He doesn’t speak up for Charlie Brown when they choose the Christmas tree, and he kissed the red headed girlfriend.  Charlie Brown deserves better.

The Office Thank You GIF

13 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Lucy is a hateful, sociopathic, megalomaniacal uber-brat who has been begging for a stinging comeuppance since the Eisenhower administration!!

Let me be clear: I'm hardly the biggest fan of bathroom humor, and kudos to the late Charles Schulz for never using it in any Peanuts media... but I ain't gonna lie, if ol' Sparky had written a story (be it comic or cartoon form) where Woodstock teaches Lucy a lesson by pooping on her head, I would have been 110% for it! Yeah, it wouldn't have made a difference in the grand scheme of Charlie Brown's life, but at least it would have been something!*

Well, Snoopy and Woodstock did chuck a typewriter at Lucy’s head after she trashed Snoopy’s story in The Peanuts Movie. And Snoopy also gave her some much deserved comeuppance by trapping her in the air in “It’s Magic, Charlie Brown.”

Yes, the former wasn’t technically Schultz, but still, after years of Lucy’s bullshit, it sated my petty little heart.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 11/21/2022 at 1:58 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I agree.

But his last speech to pep up Chuck made up for it imo 

• Like 3

The Descendants: Kai not only trying to justify Elizabeth cheating on Matt, but also the fact that she was basically egging on Elizabeth the whole time, despite the fact she was supposed to be friends with both her and Matt. She was just so completely condescending and insensitive to Matt’s understandable anger that when she started crying upon being told Elizabeth was going to die, I didn’t feel an ounce of pity for her.

Even worse was Elizabeth’s prick of a father. Losing your child is terrible, but he forfeited any sympathy when he unjustly blamed Matt and Alex (his own granddaughter!) for the accident. Never even tried to emotionally support them. With a father like that spoiling her rotten, no wonder that Elizabeth was such a selfish and toxic excuse for a wife and mother. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

It just makes me wonder why he created such a hateful character that never lost when it wasn't magic. I questioned this even when watching as a child. Charlie Brown was one of my favorite characters when I was wee, with Bugs Bunny being the first. I even had a Snoopy Dog house, Snoopy, and Woodstock play set.

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Well, Snoopy and Woodstock did Chuck a typewriter at Lucy’s head after she trashed Snoopy’s story in The Peanuts Movie. And Snoopy also gave her some much deserved comeuppance by trapping her in the air in “It’s Magic, Charlie Brown.”

Yes, the former wasn’t technically Schultz, but still, after years of Lucy’s bullshit, it sated my petty little heart.

Oh yes.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The Descendants: Kai not only trying to justify Elizabeth cheating on Matt, but also the fact that she was basically egging on Elizabeth the whole time, despite the fact she was supposed to be friends with both her and Matt. She was just so completely condescending and insensitive to Matt’s understandable anger that when she started crying upon being told Elizabeth was going to die, I didn’t feel an ounce of pity for her.

Even worse was Elizabeth’s prick of a father. Losing your child is terrible, but he forfeited any sympathy when he unjustly blamed Matt and Alex (his own granddaughter!) for the accident. Never even tried to emotionally support them. With a father like that spoiling her rotten, no wonder that Elizabeth was such a selfish and toxic excuse for a wife and mother. 

Yeah, Matt nailed Kai when he told her she was getting her thrills vicariously through Elizabeth's cheating.

The only time Scott's dickishness was merited was when he punched Sid in the face; otherwise, he was such a fucking asshole, blinded to his own part in how shitty a human Elizabeth was.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

The only time Scott's dickishness was merited was when he punched Sid in the face

Not really. Yes, Sid was being an insensitive idiot, but Scott could have just told him off instead of physically assaulting a teenager.

7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Not really. Yes, Sid was being an insensitive idiot, but Scott could have just told him off instead of physically assaulting a teenager.

Teenager or no, Sid deserved to be punched for laughing at an obviously dementia-afflicted elderly woman, but I hate that character (and the performance), so I might be projecting...

Frankly, Matt would've been well within his rights to punch Sid after the latter's crack about Elizabeth's cheating.

I've read the book, and Sid is annoying in the book but more dimensional as a character; because things had to be omitted to make the movie a reasonable length, any dimension for Sid was excised, leaving a one-note and obnoxious character.  The movie could probably have left him out altogether and been the better for it (and I love this movie).

• Useful 1

DC League of SuperPets: Ace’s tragic backstory was that he belonged to a family with a baby. Everything was fine until the baby, who was just starting to walk, was heading toward the staircase. No baby gate, no parents watching, an accident waiting to happen. Like any good dog, Ace quickly grabs the baby by the arm, pulling her safely away from the staircase.

The baby starts crying, the parents come rushing in, see the bite marks on her arm…and rather than take two seconds to realize baby nearly fell down the stairs because of their carelessly, they automatically assume Ace bit the baby for now reason, and promptly gave him away.

Ace doesn’t blame him because they were “protecting” their baby. Well, I sure as hell can! And let me tell you why:

1) Like I said before, they didn’t have a baby gate blocking the staircase. I understand you can’t watch your kids every second of the day, but not having a baby gate on the staircase? That’s practically the FIRST thing new parents do to baby proof the house. Plot-driven stupidity, I know, but stupidity nonetheless,

2) Ace was just a puppy and had NEVER shown any aggression toward the baby. Hell, the parents were more than happy to let Ace take baths with the baby! But he bites her one time, and suddenly they assume the worst? Without even sending him to obedience school first like any competent dog owner would do?!

😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😤😤

You know what? Ace was better off with Batman! I just hope for the baby’s sake that those stupid assholes kept a better eye on the child from that point on, because they didn’t have a dog anymore to pick up the slack!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I get hot under the collar in Sex and the City, when Carrie is waiting for Big at the wedding venue, and she calls him and asks "we are late where are you?" and he says "I am sitting outside, I am not coming."

As the woman is standing there outside the doors in her WEDDING GOWN. And then driving around the block Big realizes "OH, if I dont go in, I am going to lose Carrie."

I was so fucking glad she wacked him with those flowers and he looked so shocked. Charlotte's "NO" gets me every time. So protective.

I HATE BIG for that moment. "I am not coming."...as the woman is standing there in her WEDDING GOWN. Carrie didnt deserve that, and his GALL, he really thought he could stand her up at the alter and it was just going to be "OKAY" between them after that.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Blonde was long long rage watch. I haven’t been that pissed off by a “biopic” (a term which I use loosely here) since Wired. I thought Michael Chiklis’ Belushi experiencing through his own autopsy was the rock-bottom of bad taste, but Ana de Arma’s Marilyn’s multiple assault scenes and being shamed for an abortion by her unborn baby were even worse. And neither film gave their subject matter the decency of a tasteful, off-screen death.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The father in the movie Rudy was a little much for me as I got older.  Yells at his family for suggesting watching anything else but Notre Dame football.

Also in that movie I read in real life that coach Devine was one of Rudy's biggest supporters when the movie made him look like a jerk 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 3
(edited)

From Everything Everywhere All At Once:

”Bring my husband back! I have to tell him how wonderful my life was without him!”

Do you hear yourself talk, Evelyn?! I know she was insensitive to everyone in the beginning of the movie but JFC…

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4

I love my Marvel movies (most of them, anyway), warts and all, but that doesn't mean I can't call out b.s. when I see it.  In Spider-Man: Homecoming, I could scream every time I see the scene where Tony admonishes Peter for trying to get the Vulture on the ferry, thus messing up an FBI operation.  "These guns were out there and you didn't do anything!" says Peter.  "Who do you think called the FBI?" Tony damn near hisses in response.  Well, maybe if you'd relayed that to him yourself, or through Happy (with whom I have a bone to pick over his treatment of Peter), he'd have known that!

• Like 6

Evita:

”Your act hasn’t changed much.”

”Neither has yours.”

Oh go fuck yourself, Magaldi. Eva was 15 when you started banging her, and you had a wife and kids. You are literally the LAST person that is entitled to judge her for social climbing.

• Like 3
(edited)

A Bug’s Life: Was it really fair that Atta and the colony banished Flik for hiding that the circus bugs being warriors when she lied about sending Flik for help in the first place just as an excuse get rid him out of the colony? And may I add that she never really owned up to her lie—all she said was “I haven’t been as nice to you as you think.”

So yeah, a bit of hypocrisy there.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3